Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
EDIT: Nope, I'm an idiot, they rightfully gave the console version a lower score.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Fag Boy Jim posted:

That's the PC version, they gave the console versions a 4.5 because of technical issues.

Yeah, I noticed that right after posting, derrr.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Wolfgang Pauli posted:

Mikey Neumann is a really good writer.

Idunno, is he? Has there ever been any writing he's produced that has indicated his quality very strongly? Most of the poo poo people give him credit for is some stilted arguments about comic books thrown in to Brothers in Arms.

EDIT: I literally had a then-current employee of Gearbox Software use him as an example of how games don't have to be well-written to be good. The general thrust of the argument was that EiB was nominated for a writing award despite the indisputable fact that Mikey Neumann cannot write.

30.5 Days fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Feb 13, 2013

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Let's also take a moment to acknowledge the fact that at the time TimeGate was subcontracted to, they were the guys who'd made 3 very mediocre F.E.A.R. expansions- metacriticing at 6-7. Kind-of-okay developers like that aren't who you give a product to if you want it to be done well, and you sure as hell don't subcontract to them and then fail to check in for 5 years.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

rizuhbull posted:

DNF was rebuilt from the ground up, though. Likely several times judging from the screens we've gotten over the years. Gearbox had all the time in the world and they still hosed up. All they had to do was create a fun 3D Duke Nukem game, that's it. It had no restrictions placed on it.

Eh, 3D Realms had all the time in the world. Gearbox had a couple months.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Mr. Pumroy posted:

Reviewers should rate games based on whether or not they offer a good game experience to the costumer. Reviews should be for the benefit of the people in a position to purchase a game, not for developers no matter how big or small they are.

Sure, but what score correlates with "nobody should buy this game"? Apparently 2/5 is too low for "nobody should buy this game".

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

your evil twin posted:

Except I think Aliens fans should buy this game, if they can get it for £10. I found the the multiplayer to be decent, but certainly not worth the launch asking price. It's worth picking up in a Steam sale if you are an Aliens fan and want to be part of a squad of marines or a pack of Xenomorphs.

"Buy this if you're a huge fan of the source material and can get it for a quarter of the current asking price." sounds like the sort of advice that accompanies a 2/5, though. Think of it like a movie review- if a movie gets 2 stars, that generally means bad-to-mediocre, which this game is. I know that Giant Bomb's scoring system is unusual in this capacity, but it generally goes like this:

5/5 - Game of the Year Contender
4/5 - A solid game, should probably buy, but if you can only buy a couple games this year, you might want to pass.
3/5 - A good game, but due to some issues, this game could either be a must-have, or should-pass depending on your relationship with the genre and/or source material.
2/5 - The sort of game that's really only a should-buy for people who have something they already adore about it.
1/5 - Don't buy.
0/5 - A noxious stain on all that is good and holy about video games.

From the way you're describing your relationship with A:CM, it's probably a 1, a 2 tops. The idea that you think it deserves a 5/10- which most review sites consider "mediocre"- when you can't think of a single person who should buy it at retail price, is really odd. Mediocre games should get bought at asking price by SOMEBODY. If nobody should buy the drat thing, then it's not mediocre, it's bad.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
30 million is probably enough to fund infinity blade: dungeons 6 times over. It's enough to pay for a modest first title, in the vein of the original Darksiders, for 6 serious studios. If the amount this game cost is 30 million dollars, my head might well explode.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

ZypherIM posted:

I don't think this has been dropped off here, but I'm sure you'll all enjoy this a lot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADqIh9_zAp4

I guess we need one on every page, sure.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Get NS2 for a fraction of the cost and forget this game even exists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Haha, Pitchford is blocking anyone who responds to that "I TOLD THE TRUTH" tweet.

• Locked thread