Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

ChickenHeart posted:

For what it's worth, the Extermination trailer shows off a marine dying from acid blood, and appears to suggest that outside of single-player, marines are largely hosed if they get in a wrestling match with an alien. 2-3 melee attacks appears to be the norm for how quick a human dies in multiplayer.

Also, who here likes blatant, product-advertising DLC? Cause' it's your lucky day:

People at my school wear Monster T-shirts and put Monster stickers on their laptop lids. I don't understand it, but there's clearly a market for putting that logo on everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I didn't think it looked THAT bad, but then again I don't play very many games anymore and most of my purchases are <$20 during Steam sales. I wasn't planning on buying this (or any game) upon release, and I don't think I'd be sad buying this game for cheap during a Steam holiday sale.

Watching that walkthrough linked earlier, I did notice the ragdoll issues and I noticed that the aliens don't react as cool to getting shot as they did in the original Aliens vs Predator. I really liked how the enemies fell apart in that game. I also noticed that some of the graphics weren't tops (like bad textures here and there) but I did laugh at the guy complaining about how these graphics shouldn't be in a 2013 game (played on his 2005 console no less). So I'd definitely expect the graphics to be nicer on a PC, but who knows.

In any case as with all of my game purchases I'll be buying this one when it's a lot cheaper.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Alien: Resurrection makes more sense when you realize that it was written by Joss Whedon.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

massive spider posted:

They're not actually sending out the best available team for the job.

My guess: Weyland-Yutani knew what was going on but the Marine Corps probably thought they were just going to arrive only to find that the colonists broke an antennae or something, so they didn't feel like devoting more than a minimum of resources to the operation.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Rinkles posted:

Is there a reason that flew over my head for the 3 in Alien 3 being in superscript in all the marketing material? Beyond edginess, of course.

Obviously because Alien^3 (1 alien raised to the power of 3) is still 1 alien, but Alien 3 (one alien times 3) implies 3 aliens and would be false advertising.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Yodzilla posted:

Guys I figured it out. It wouldn't make Aliens: Colonial Marines a good game but a super simple change to the game's horrible writing could have made the whole Alien canon mess completely go away. Forget about the Sulaco. You can still have Hicks' distress call at the beginning but have the responding Marines find literally any other ship. Make one up. The Sulaco doesn't loving matter since it does nothing in the game but make the player say "hey I remember that thing."

So then the rest of the game plays out the same but during the whole rescue the captured Marine deal don't make it Hicks your saving, make it motherfucking Al Apone. That is the character everyone wants to see again. That is the character I want to kick rear end alongside of. It's perfect! You never see him die for sure in Aliens and the game already establishes that the "40 megaton explosion" was more like a pop rocket than anything devastating. The people who say Hicks is a boring character is right, he adds nothing to the game and has zero personality besides being just another Marine. That's fine in Aliens but there's absolutely no reason to ever want him around again. Better yet we don't have to hear boring mush mouth Michael Beihn mumble his way through his lines. Al Matthews is still alive and might be in this game in already in multiplayer (??)

I'm a loving genius.

The game's writing is a mess but there could have been some sense to Weyland-Yutani salvaging and using the Sulaco. They had a perfectly good ship sitting in orbit over Fury-161 when they arrived to try to get the alien from Ripley. The Marines probably wrote it off as a loss. By salvaging and using it rather than purchasing a new ship/using an existing one that they bought, they would have left less of a paper trail if they ever came under investigation for their numerous unethical experiments. Hicks should have stayed dead though, holy poo poo.

Of course I'm probably thinking too hard about a Bad Game.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Darko posted:

WildCATS/Aliens was super duper canon for the Wildstorm universe, as that's the reason why an entire team was reformed (because half of them died). I still love how they mysteriously killed a gaseous being offscreen that could lift hundreds of tons and survive being wailed on by someone Hulk level, with the only reason given being "how did they do that?"

re: Alien 3, the extended version really is a good film.

The big problem is not that it "killed Hicks and Newt"; it's that it killed them with lazy writing in the same way this game revived Hicks. There is literally no reason/way for there to be two facehuggers on the ship, there is no way/reason for them to have gotten where they are, and even the Ripley impregnation cycle makes no sense. I love how the comic adaptation TRIED to make SOME sense of it by having the facehugger latch onto Newt, impregnate her, and the unfinished chestburster leaves her when she dies and crawls down Ripley's throat (!) for hilariousness' sake. But the movie is a perfect example of how you can "A WIZARD DID IT!!!" for nihilism just as horribly as you can for a happy ending. Outside of that lazy retconning, it's a very good film in its extended version, though.

There shouldn't have been any number of facehuggers on board the ship. Aliens made it clear that the queen uses some sort of egg sac apparatus to create her eggs so she couldn't have laid any on the Sulaco. She clearly wasn't carrying any while chasing Ripley in the atmosphere processor.

I mean I'm willing to look past that because it's a decent movie that wouldn't have worked without it, but it defied all logic.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

your evil twin posted:

So for AvP 2 they decided to make their own pulse rifle sound effect that fired for every bullet, problem is that it sounded far less impressive. I think that's the reason why in Aliens Colonial Marines they decided to use the movie sound effects and just have that same issue as old AvP and the Half-Life mods. (And in Aliens Colonial Marines it is especially noticeable as the mark 2 pulse rifle has a slower rate of fire; with the original movie sound effects it sounds like you are shooting double the amount of bullets to what you are actually firing.)

The pulse rifles in Aliens were real guns loaded with blanks and modified to look futuristic (you can even see them ejecting casings in a few scenes even though they're supposed to be caseless). Is the sound in the movie the real sound of the gun firing or is it a sound effect dubbed overtop? If it's the real sound, it makes me wonder why no one has found the same model of gun and taken some recordings from it firing single bullets - unless that would be way too expensive.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

drat and here I was hoping that a real gun sounded that cool.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Aside from how we don't know what the mission timeline was supposed to be (I assume they were supposed to check in after a certain amount of time, and if not it would take another 17 days of travel for anyone to reach them) that the situation with the Sulaco appearing over Fury-161 might have changed the recovery timeline.

(It's a bad game with a bad story but we really don't have the information to determine if 17 weeks is an unreasonable amount of time)

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

PowerBeard posted:

GetGamesGo has Aliens: Colonial Marines at 66% off. Can this be a good sign that by December it will be 75% off.

Also the unusually fun (especially in multiplayer) Aliens vs Predator 2010 is available for 75% off as well.

http://getgamesgo.com/specialoffers

I'm not seeing a sale. Is it regional?

In any case, I'm waiting for it to hit 5 bucks or so on Steam, likely during a holiday sale.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

PowerBeard posted:

The sale was up for most of last week, however, it has since ended and they only have the Season Pass at 20-ish% off.

Oops, I didn't realize the post was from a few days ago. I saw two new posts and assumed they were both from today.

In any case I'm in no rush to get the game. I'm sure I'll have to wait some time for it to reach the $5-10 mark, even with how poorly it was received.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Bah, still too expensive. I'd go for it if it were 10 bucks on Steam, though. I'm not expecting to see such a price until at least this Christmas holiday sale.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

RoadCrewWorker posted:

For 10 bucks you can get at least a hundred better games on steam, i'm sure.

Yes, but I have a lot of them already (at least among the ones I care to play).

I don't know, maybe it will make it to the 5 dollar range. I'll feel better about it then.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Irish Taxi Driver posted:

I'll get it when its 5 bucks, honestly. At that point I'm willing to see what a trainwreck it is.

Yeah, that plus I still want it for my collection of Aliens stuff. Unlike Xenomrph, even though I like to collect everything with Aliens branding I still wait to see if it's poo poo :v:

On the plus side, I learned about Aliens Infestation from this thread and it was very good, especially at the $10 bargain bin price I found it at.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

blackguy32 posted:

I really liked Charles Dutton's character. I also think that a lot of people thought it sucked because they were expecting more shooting up of Xenomorphs, which they didn't get at all. But I think the tone of the movie is amazing because even when they technically "win", they lose. They kill the Alien off, and then Ripley kills herself.

But the theatrical version is a mess. If I remember correctly, Golic is just a loose strand that the movie forgets about in the theatrical cut.

The recut of it is fantastic, but I think it would have been a bit scarier if the alien still came out of the dog in it. The alien coming out of an ox that already died offscreen wasn't quite as dramatic.

Every other change was a big improvement though.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

At the very least if those are ingame shots they don't look nearly as poor as Colonial Marines. Though graphics were probably the least of its crimes.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Litany Unheard posted:

Then again, the preview shots for Colonial Marines didn't look as bad as Colonial Marines.

Oh gently caress I forgot about that. Fool me once...

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

ClownSyndrome posted:

I'm surprised there wasn't an 80s Aliens cartoon series at some point

It would've had a rippin' intro song about saving the galaxy from Xenomorphs, and the evil greedy Wayland boss would yell 'You'll pay for this Ellen Ripley!' at the end of every episode

You don't even need to imagine what the theme song would have been like.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pi5hWNnsLm0

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I bought all volumes of the Dark Horse Aliens Omnibus over the summer but only had a chance to finish the first couple. So I went and binge-read Labyrinth and yeah, it was pretty gross and disturbing. I liked the ending, though. It's not very common for someone to experiment with aliens and get away with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

THE BAR posted:

Some of the elements weren't explained, which I'd really like to read up on sometime, like the maggot goop they're force feeding people, where'd that come from? Also, is the "people being turned into wall-goop"-thing based on the cut scenes from the original Alien film?

That comic sure has something with goop in general. And I probably shouldn't have read Labyrinth first, as Steve Perry's trilogy came off as pretty lame in comparison. The Female War was especially bad, dull even!

Not everything in the flashback was necessarily truthful. Remember that it was a story being told by a guy who was definitely quite insane in order to garner sympathy from people who just saw his awful human experiments. Since very little of what was in his story lines up with Aliens lore then I'd expect that it was highly suspect.

• Locked thread