Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

Xenomrph posted:

The first AvP game is still my favorite, the Marine campaign is scary as gently caress.

Yup the AvP marine campaign is the best single player fps game I have ever played in my life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

Xaris posted:

:( I was one of those people. It's basically Brink all over again, god damnit.

The difference is there is no goon hype for this like there was for Brink. Brink was a sobering lesson for me to never ever pre-order a game based on internet hype again.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
So I just read that Hicks is loving alive in this game, how the gently caress is that canon? :psyduck:

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
How can a PC game that is out in the year of our lord 2013 look this bad?

I like how the animator didn't spend the five minutes fixing the fingers going into the aliens head in this one. :effort:

This is apparently max settings on PC. Planetside 2 looks better than this on low with shadows off.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
Aliens: Colonial Marines - "it's a long story"

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
Alien 3 was the one where a full size alien comes out of a small dog right?

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

BadLlama posted:

Turn's out Half-Life Episode 3 has been outsourced to Gearbox by Valve for the past few years.

I wish this was true just for the meltdowns. It would be too good. :v:

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

Barudak posted:

Joss Whedon and Jean-Pierre Jeunet together with the acting of Ron Perlman could not produce a movie with anything more interesting than the scene where the aliens tear one of their own number up to use its acid blood to escape containment. The fact that the mess of the heavily edited, changed, redone and budget cut Alien 3 is better than that is astounding.

Yea the only thing I remember from Alien 4 is that scene and that abortion of a alien at the end.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

Midee posted:

I guess that would line up with the story of the PS3 version being over the memory budget. Fancy animations are usually the first to go when that happens.

Both PS3 and 360 are ancient consoles but I would hardly lay the blame there. For starters if Naughty Dog can make their games look a trillion times better than A:CM and have amazing animations in it at the same time there is clearly something wrong with Gearbox.

Not to mention the PC version looks like something you would buy from GoG and not a game released in 2013.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

pixelbaron posted:

Thumbnail looks like a screenshot from UT99 but click it.

Hoooooly poo poo :psyduck:

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
haha this is amazing:

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

...of SCIENCE! posted:

The existence of Alien 3 and Prometheus is justified by the spergin' sci-fi geek outrage alone. The fact that they're good movies is just a bonus.

:laffo: Prometheus is a good movie? yea ok.

I don't remember anything about Alien 3 except the fact that it looks like a cheap fan film when put next to the masterpiece that is Alien.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

pixelbaron posted:

Take it back and get System Shock 2 on GoG instead.

Seconding this.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

...of SCIENCE! posted:

This game is so lovely that you can see the sky box through the gaps in the ceiling texture.

:w00t:

What the gently caress is going on in that screenshot? It looks like some ps1 game from 1992.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
Who did the side scroller game where you can pick between two predators and two humans (some chick and a badass colonel guy with bionic arm if I remember correctly)

That was the best loving game.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

polish sausage posted:

That was simply called "aliens vs predator" and was actually done by capcom. And the two humans were dutch schaefer and lyn kurasawa (from the dark horse comics I think?). That was definitely my favorite aliens game beside AvP classic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWKhDbBlIpM

Holy poo poo it still looks and plays amazing. Somebody tell me how to find and play this game please. gently caress why can't we have awesome games like this anymore :(

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

Midee posted:

I was really hoping the chestburster would say "Oorah..."

hahaha same here.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

Dave Mustard posted:

Randy Pitchford blocked me on twitter. :feelsgood:

Looking back, I now wish I had prepped my hatred with some false compliments on a:cm before I told him he's actually worthless oval office.

I just saw this:

http://www.destructoid.com/randy-pitchford-has-only-time-for-colonial-marines-praise-245943.phtml

quote:

While the Internet at large still waits for Randy Pitchford -- or anybody -- from Gearbox to come clean and explain what went wrong with Aliens: Colonial Marines, the studio CEO has decided his best course of action is to display contempt for those who felt cheated when they bought his stinker.

A number of Twitter accounts, which were only set up recently and seem spectacularly preoccupied with Gearbox and Gearbox products, are lavishing Pitchford with praise for Colonial Marines, and they are now the only people worthy of his time. Anybody with criticism -- not just the insults and threats he mentioned last time -- is to be ignored or outright blocked.

Even if you like Aliens: Colonial Marines, it's undeniable something went wrong with its development, and Gearbox needs to tell people why they allowed customers to keep believing the game looked much better than it actually did. For Pitchford to refuse to talk for a week, then do nothing but publicly lap up praise for his gigantic, Facehugger-shaped poo poo, is absolutely astounding.

All we need now is for him to do what he did with Duke Nukem Forever and start making argumentum ad populum statements to really showcase how little respect he has for the game industry's long-term credibility. Of course, I'd prefer someone involved with this mess actually grow a spine and address the issue directly, but apparently that's as extravagant a request as asking for a decent Aliens game.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

Awesome Welles posted:

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Aliens: Colonial Marines - There is genuine love for this game, also BLOCKED

Fixed.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
Randy Pitchford - "ain't nobody got time for dat"

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

Thing Fish posted:

Great, thanks for ruining Prometheus for me in a goddamn Aliens videogame thread, jerks.

Trust me you should thank them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

Mouser.. posted:

It really wasn't that long of a story after all:

How Hicks Survived

Why did I click on this thread?

This is the worst thing I have ever seen. :cripes:

• Locked thread