Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Just bring back Evac mode from AvP2 and no one will be hurt... much :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Original Evac mode could have more than 4 players on both sides, but too many and it definitely becomes a little cramped.

I have fond memories of taking down the entire marine team by myself through some crafty ambushes with a Runner (the GO FAST alien, seems to be in this game too as the LURKER - with more camo worthy skin). Turns out that rocket and grenade launchers and flamethrowers are less than ideal in cramped corridors with bunched up marines when a Xeno drops down in the middle of the whole group.

Best game mode by far and I'm glad it's finally back.

Pimpmust fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Sep 1, 2012

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

That excuse sounds the same as for that other game... Brink? That game at least had some significant character customization going on.

And it's still a terribly lovely excuse here as it was with that game.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Palpek posted:

Somebody linked this amaazing video review in the Steam thread:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8dPF8jpItCs

I almost choked at the "MEANWHILE AT SEGA MARKETING TEAM HQ" bit.

Hey, at least the AvP2Wii U version look pretty good!

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

How to fix the multiplayer (of any Aliens game):
Introduce Evac mode

There, done :colbert:

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

psyman posted:

Everyone runs around at the speed of light in AvP Classic multiplayer and it's quite bizarre. There's no sense of realism or weight to the movement. When I get around to playing the campaign I think I'll try to mod the marines' run speed lower.

Yeah, AvP Classic movement speed make AvP2s look snail-like in comparison. Aliens are just Meat-Grinding Rockets on legs, zooming around at 300% normal speed :v:

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Shima Honnou posted:

Hell, you don't even need to do that. For a level like that, just have an invisible coin flip followed by an invisible dice roll when the player starts it. Heads, no aliens, just high atmosphere. Tails? Well, time for a random amount of aliens to be hiding in there to ambush him next time he plays it! Go through the level first time on tails? Well, next time he goes through it on heads, he'll be making GBS threads himself even more than if it were an empty atmosphere level, because he'll not only be expecting something, he'll KNOW there's something there, but it just won't come for him.

With the added caveat that the first time through it's always empty, and the second time it's ALIENS TIME.

You could even do some fun stuff with various difficulties. Say you have a random NPC buddy with you on the first mission. On the higher difficulties, on the second run through, he ~can~ die at 2-3 random points. Either from environmental effects or alien nabbin'.

Would be cool as hell to have a squad of marines that randomly dropped off like that. Everyone would be used to them being invincible/revivable like in this game but then BAM. By the end of the game they'd all be dead (or allow the possibility of 1-2 surviving just for a meta level of dickish player motivation :getin: ) but you would never know exactly when or how anyone is gonna die due to those semi-scripted places where the Invici-mode comes off for a random Marine (or for 3 Marines. Suddenly the "easy" mission gets hard as hell).

Probably too much effort for most FPS developers because you wouldn't really notice until a rerun/New Game+, and it would either require a lot of dialogue/scene flexibility or simply have marines that don't really talk with each other much outside of canned lines. But hey.

I laughed like hell the third or fourth time through AvP2s marine section when I actually got hit by the flying truck. I had no idea you could die there :v:

Pimpmust fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Feb 16, 2013

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

That multiplayer actually looks/sounds like fun. I'm such a sucker for playing as the Aliens and going crazy with wall-crawling, sneaking and fatalities.

The AvP2010 demo multiplayer was pretty great in that regards, even if the final game had garbage/tiny maps/Latency from Hell and conga-lines of Fatality moves.

I'd probably get in on it if it was A) <$20 instead of 50 euro and B) Got a bunch of decent maps and more than TDM (seriously, Evac/Infestation with limited lives in AvP2 were the greatest things).

Just what game modes are there in the MP?

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Admiral Bosch posted:

So I've been playing AVP2010 with Blacktoll, 'Rocket Cock Mk II'(not sure what your SA handle is buddy) and a couple other goons and we wouldn't mind getting more people in on this vastly superior, actually-fun game. Interest check for a big game?

Depends on the When, GMT +1 player here but I'd be interested.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Moochewmoo posted:

Hey ya! I'm Rocket Cock! Before you got on we had been playing for a while so that's why I bounced sorry about that.

So AvP2010 is actually a really good game. I can't get over how pretty and immersive that game is, its pretty absurd. I tried playing AvP2 online for a few minutes and truthfully it feels like the game hasn't aged to well. There's no reason to use anything but the Sniper rifle or Plasma caster it seems but it might just be me.

However this weekend I'd really like to get a larger group of goons together to play. We had 8 players today and it was a drat riot. If your interested to play say this Friday evening just add me on steam. My ID is [b]Rocket Cock MK.II[b], any and all are more then welcome to join. The more the merrier.

AvP2 could get kinda broken if you played stuff like Team Deathmatch with all weapons available/weapon classes which allowed you to spawn with the sniper rifle + grenade launcher(?) as the Mercenaries (full ammo too if I remember correctly).
The Sniper rifle was absurdly good if you knew how to aim without sights, and depending on map those predator homing weapons could be pretty broken too (lots of open spaces helped the sniper rifle too).

I vastly prefer playing on servers with the more indoors map sets, and some restrictions on weapons so its not just Team Sniper vs Team Plasmacaster (With aliens stuck in between). Playing with limited lives, the various Non-deathmatch game modes and such vastly increased enjoyment too.

Granted, I remember a certain homing weapon in AvP2010 being broken as poo poo too (hello Disc!).

My Steam ID is Pimpmust and I'm game for some AvP2010.

e: There are 2 MP map "packs" (with 2 honest mp maps each, and 2 survival coop thingies) which I never bothered buying. We aint' using those are we? Pretty sure they stripped them out of the release proper to dump them as paid DLC (that is still 6 bucks a piece).

Pimpmust fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Feb 18, 2013

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Moochewmoo posted:

Far as I know, no one owns any of the map packs so I wouldn't worry about it.

And yeah I think the server I was playing on was a massive factor for my AvP2 experience. One of the things I did notice between AvP2 and AvP2010 is that your character moves through the world with some weight when you play. Your head bounces as you sprint, you look down and have legs, and if you're an Alien you get to spin around and chase your tail! Though 2010 still suffers from some of its predecessor problems. Plasma Caster homing is something that should of never made it into the game like 9 years ago, and doing a trophy/stealth kill and dying before you finish shouldn't net you a point. That's the only 2 major fixes need that come to mind right now.

Now that I think of it most servers back when I played AvP2 went full hog "No Homing Weapons"* as one of the rules, most looked down on the whole Sniper Rifle thing too. I normally find such restrictions silly/lame but in this case it did wonders for the whole experience :v:

*You could still use the weapons normal fire mode. Both the Plasmacaster and Discs were pretty balanced then, plenty of power but ran out of energy (and stealth) quickly/slow "rate of fire".

Pimpmust fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Feb 18, 2013

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

TheBlobThing posted:

This sounds pretty entertaining. Link to this?

Also, inspired by this hilarious bomb, I fired up my old copy of AvP10. Unfortunately, it seems like all the EU servers are populated by Predator team stackers that have played since release (the mad fools). That makes this a thoroughly unfun experience.

Hey, the servers were like that a month after release, good to see nothing has changed :v:

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Unrelated, but I remembered this:
http://www.moddb.com/groups/cryengine-3-developers/videos/aliens-vs-marine-avp-marine-part-remake

Just compare how that looks to Colonial Marines :allears:

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

TheBlobThing posted:

Any EU games coming on the Goons vs Pred group?

I'd be up for some. Last night's game at 00-02 was a wee bit late for my day job working rear end :smith:

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Giggily posted:

AVP 2010's multiplayer is surprisingly fun, and is only really hindered by the fact that there are literally two maps for 12-18 players. Unless you buy a map pack, of course.

Of course there are like 10 total, it isn't Colonial Marines.

But even those 18 player maps are pretty... cramped.

I booted it up last night again and the first 18 player TDM game I jumped into basically went:
Spawn. Scratching noise from the left side of the screen-"uh wha?" ALIEN :gibs:
Spawn. Turn towards the right, bring up gun. Humping noise from the left side of the screen-"Not agai-" PREDATOR :gibs:

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Dr. Glasscock posted:

Pretty sure AvP goes on sale on Steam pretty regularly, if you don't mind waiting a bit.

In other news, is AvP2 available anywhere? I don't see it on Steam or GOG, so I assume it's one of those impossible to get things?

Yeah, AvP2 is one of those impossible to get things. Something to do with the license, with it being made by Monolith, (who are still owned by Warner Bros) before SEGA getting ahold of the license.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

your evil twin posted:

Who cares if there's no digital version, you can buy an actual physical version dirt cheap off ebay. Unlike modern games, the CD key doesn't get registered to an account or any bollocks like that so there's nothing wrong with a second hand version.

I'd buy the mappacks if not for the fact that there's probably hardly anyone else playing the game that owns them. Certainly not fellow goons here.

Midnight is the best time to be nervously watching out for Aliens! The Americans are getting the lesser experience.

Here are some videos of last night's fun with Aliens vs Predator 2010. (I've got another 4 videos to upload as well!)

Here's our first game of Infestation. One player gets selected as an Alien, and anyone he kills gets turned into Aliens too. It starts slowly, but after the first kill at 1:30 things quickly escalate.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NgGeiQJKG7c

This one is a normal species deathmatch game that just happens to have one or two goons in it rather than being a full proper goon game. In it I'm trying to re-learn how to be an Alien.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2uwdqNTVos

Another match of Infestation. Amusingly the first marine death is is scored by gravity.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SnJtlVyLwDA

I really hate the gigantic white arrows for the marines in Infestation. That and marking friendlies on the motion detector. Really ruins the whole thing.

And I think the Sniper Rifle Scope can see aliens through walls (or possibly give them a white outline even in the dark, there was *something* funky about it)♠.

Pimpmust fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Feb 19, 2013

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

I'm certain that Aliens RPG aint gonna be rebooted because well, it's Obsidian we are talking about.

Obsidian don't get to have nice things, it's like a universal constant or something :negative:

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Depending on just how expendable your NPC mates are.

I can imagine that sort of permadeath working really well in a shorter, more CYOA/Alpha Protocol game though. "Who's gonna live?"

Each play through could really turn out different (in who survives, what is revealed/the truth changes etc).

Kinda like having the original Alien movie with just the main plot pointers, but the character set being entirely flexible (even more so with a custom main character).

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Alchenar posted:

Does anyone ever explain why you'd put a crew into sleep for a 17 day journey?

Allo those missiles gotta go somewhere. The oxygen storage tanks were a necessary sacrifice :colbert:

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

There's the Runner/DogAlien Variant from Alien 3 too.

And let's not even mention Alien 4.

Of course, the best Alien variant is the cigar smoking bad rear end with a gun.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Just watched the movie for the first time infact and while I didn't really mind the horror-movie stuff or the hollywood "we can't be bothered with these annoying helmets", the movie pacing really did start to feel disjointed/rushed towards the second half.

I mean, none of the characters seemed to communicate with anyone else. See: Running around the ship bloody & naked, or two guys are outside the ship on their own and they aren't even recording their feed when there's no one on the bridge? Last example leans more towards "lazy writing" than a pacing issue, but there were a lot of those.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

blackguy32 posted:

Lets be real here, all of the AvP games have been horribly unbalanced. If you were a marine in the original AvP, you were probably going to get horribly murdered, repeatedly. Your health was next to zero and a Alien can simply do a run by tail whipping to kill you. And almost all your weapons will get you killed.

AvP 2 had the sniper rifle which was ridiculous.

The AvP2010 sniper rifle is pretty drat ridiculous too. Just ask Admiral Bosch :v:

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Only true Gentleyautja use Spears for their hunting desires, stealthy monocles are optional in comparison :colbert:

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

I'm somewhat amazed that they actually went and made (so many) toys out of Gigers penis fantasies :stare:

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Speaking of which, and correct me if I'm wrong, but AvP2010 don't allow you to have TDM without all three species represented.

We've been playing improvised MP with ordinary DM to get around that limitation(which also removes the arrows/friendly indicators for Marines), Marines vs Aliens.

Domination is pretty rear end, and most maps are too small/segmented for such game modes to really work.

AvP2010 would be pretty ok if it had twice the number of maps and they were all twice as big. It's really obvious that no map is designed for more than 12 or so players, tops.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

meatsaw posted:

I ... I don't know what ...

:stare:

... did that Alien just face slam a facehugger onto that soldier?

That game looks pretty boss, and even though it got janky animations they add a certain charm.

I'm laughing pretty hard at including the whole Super Predator angle too.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

you’ll mostly be shooting through “clones and soldiers.

It can always get worse. Always.

Then again we might just hold out hope that's just marketing talk to rope the FPS crowd in on a tense survival horror game, right SEGA? :allears:

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

1stGear posted:

From the video, it looks less like "The alien is consistently and actively stalking you throughout the game" and more "Here's a setpiece where you have to stealth past and the rest of the time you're completely safe."

I'd prefer the former to be honest.

Dunno, they had that fake escape moment until she gets jetisoned into space like some bastard Choose Your Own Adventure page turner :v:

But yeah we'll see. If it's branching and longer section of this stuff where you can escape in different ways/and/or get yourself killed in creative ways I'd be all for it even if replayability doesn't seem high.

The Co-op stuff seems to indicate that your buddies won't be in the risk-zone for very long unless you are going to experience a lot of "your stupid AI budy triggered the alien and died, replay!" (doubt you'll actually be able to get them killed *and* complete the game unless it's towards the very end or something).

Leaning towards a fake-out, but that does seem kinda pointless. The survival-horror crew isn't that big is it? Why try to fool them instead of the FPS crowd? (Oh right, Colonial Marines...)

Also minus points for being Creative Assembly, a studio without any experience in either doing advanced first-person games or survival-horror (or FPS for that matter). Plus their games are always buggy as gently caress so uh, not gonna get any passes on that front.

Pimpmust fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Jan 7, 2014

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Rookersh posted:

This is the main thing to me.

Apparently, most of the crafting stuff is for making gels/traps/shivs according to rumor on the internet. While there will be combat, current hope/theory is that using a gun will attract the Alien through noise, and you are not a solider at all, so you should focus on avoiding most combat encounters. ( because the Kotaku article says melee weapons are much more prominent then guns, and unless Amanda is a loving caveman, melee probably means shivs. Especially since Dishonored of all things is the main inspiration for the game. )

I'm just imagining Amanda as Riddick but gently caress it, GONNA SHANK ME A ALIEN *acid blood everywhere* :supaburn:

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

It was weird how the multiplayer demo was like 10x better than the actual MP of the game.

Perhaps because it was the only halfway decent map and didn't lag nearly as much.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Pretty easy to gently caress a free-roaming alien up, but if the map/those areas are actually big and free-flowing without loading areas with several ventilation systems/levels and a structure that allows you to move about without getting bottle-necked too much it can work.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

They should just combine all the different movement ways, making each encounter randomly pick from a list to make you go ":wtc:"

Maybe switch it up on detection too, so you have creepy slow bipedal walk in search pattern and once it detects you it's speed-dashing your rear end while bouncing off walls.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Seems like they DO have zero-G sections judging from the preview.

Didn't see the alien in it though, but having it float slowly towards you while you try to maneuver around in the soup would be like slow-motion horror and could work very well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Infestation was better in AvP2 :colbert:

AvP10 suffered from pretty small/cramped maps and didn't have the best MP game modes from previous games either.

Also I remember it being laggy *as gently caress* on release and lacking dedicated server support, but maybe I'm misremembering.

Single player was decent but nothing amazing, a little on the clunky & corridory side, very "modern Rebellion".

e: Ah yes this is the stuff that those poser games should aspire to (Well, maybe not Aliens: Isolation :v:)

Pimpmust fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Jun 19, 2014

• Locked thread