Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~
You can watch the recording from that link that was posted if you missed it.

The aliens look slow and janky as gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~
Not that I know of.

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~

limited posted:

Come on. NOBODY in the multiplayer team thought a horde mode would be a good idea? What the hell, getting together with buddies and mowing down hordes of bugs? I'm pretty sure that could've sold the game right there for most fans of the movie. It looks like so much fun getting gunned down by marines camping in a room over and over half the time as a alien in the generic TDM garbage instead.:what:

Rebellion's latest AvP game had horde mode and it got boring real fast.

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~
I didn't mind the darkness, the maps were way too small though.

I assume this game isn't going to have a server browser or anything?

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~
There is never going to be a good game developed for this franchise ever again is there

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~

ReV VAdAUL posted:

I dunno, there were lots of terrible Batman games and then out of nowhere we got Arkham Asylum.

True.

I suppose I am just bitter and defeated that this game doesn't appear to be the gem for the Alien franchise that Arkham Asylum turned out to be for the Batman franchise. Early on it looked like it had a lot of promise.

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~
That boss battle is terrible. It's like no thought went into it at all, the queen just tries to follow the player and gets stuck on all the geometry in the hangar.

I wonder how rushed they were to get this out on the market.

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~
Can you even crawl on walls and ceilings in this game as an alien? I remember seeing in that live stream with the developers that someone briefly got on a ceiling, but other than that I don't really see the freedom of movement aliens usually had in previous games that made them fun to play. I don't know if the players just don't know how to do it since this just broke street or if all you can do is literally run and jump at people and occasionally get onto ceilings.

pixelbaron fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Feb 9, 2013

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~
The manual up on Steam says you can transition from walls to ceilings so I guess no one has figured it out yet. You'd think there would be some tooltips or something. Maybe there are but we just aren't seeing them.

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~

fivegears4reverse posted:

^^^The fact that this is an accurate assessment of Gearbox's grasp of Aliens is pretty disheartening.

Apparently someone out there has picked up the new issue of Games.TM, which includes a review of A:CM.

http://www.gamespot.com/wii-u/forum/gamestm-reviews-aliens-colonial-marines-its-disappointing-65410171/

They gave it a 4/10, with some choice quotes found in the link. I'm waiting for scans to confirm it, myself. The sort of rabid defense some fans are putting up for the game is pretty funny. Some are likening the negative reactions to A:CM to the same "unfounded" hate that the new DmC got.

Positive feedback over on the Gearbox forums amounts to:

"Yeah the AI sucks, yeah the story sucks, yeah the graphics are pretty bad, yeah matchmaking is like AvP2010 and there are no dedicated servers. But hey! The pulse rifle sounds like it did in the movies! 10/10 game of the year!!"

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~

Iacen posted:

I wish I hadn't seen that picture.

I wish I hadn't seen that movie.

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~
Didn't she try to get a sex scene with an alien in pretty much every film and everyone was like "What the hell..."

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Haha what the hell is there a source on this

Nah, I am just being a dick.

I think the first Alien they wanted to have her killed and have it be kind of sexual how she dies but then they changed it because of filming constraints. And then yeah like has already been said, she wanted to have something sexual in Alien: Resurrection and they met her halfway.

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~
Giger's Necronomicon makes a good coffee table book.

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~
Apparently there is no host migration or anything for this game. So, if you're steamrolling the host or he doesn't like playing as an alien welp back to the multiplayer screen you go.

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~

dishwasherwong posted:

This thread has provided plenty of laughs for me this evening but holy poo poo I shouldn't be laughing because I spent actual money on this abomination and I am too late to cancel my pre-order!

What I don't understand is how this game blows so much rear end after so many missed release dates? A:CM release date was pushed back more than once and shambling Xenomorphs was the best they could come up with? What, did they need that extra development time to tweak the lame xeno's walk cycle?

I didn't spend big money on this but the game is staying in its packaging and is being shipped back on Saturday; to say I have buyer's remorse is an understatement and this is coming from a guy who liked Duke Nukem: Forever. You can put that down to having low expectations already but this level of buyer's remorse is a first for me.

Oh Gearbox remember when you were good? 14 years wasn't that long ago. :(

Usually when a game has been in development hell for as long as this game has (and had one foot in the grave at certain points) it means that the people working on it have changed hands multiple times and the whole game has been scrapped and reworked if not once, then multiple times. There's a good chance what people are playing is the product of the last two or so years and hasn't actually been in development for the entire six years. With that in mind I imagine it also hasn't been the same people working on it those six years either.

It's easy to look at it externally and say, "You had almost a decade to work on this!" in regards to polish but internally with a game that has this sort of development history it's usually a lot more chaotic than that. It'd be interesting to see a postmortem written up on this at some point, or maybe it would just be depressing.

pixelbaron fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Feb 11, 2013

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~
Those screens are probably just staged in the engine with assets anyway. :smith:

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~
AvP99 Alien Tag or Last Man Standing

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~
So I posted that screenshot of the horribly textured console/computer from a few pages back on the Gearbox forums and some moderator told me that if you're playing the game "properly" you shouldn't be sticking your face up against textures to see how high or low res they are.

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~
They should have just concentrated on multiplayer and called it Aliens: Online.

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~
Aliens: Colonial Marines - Get away from my franchise YOU BITCH

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~

Bloodmobile posted:

So will this be worth picking up for the multiplayer once it goes for 10-20$ in the next steam sale like most games that receive a critical thrashing?

Multiplayer will probably be dead by the time it goes on a Steam sale

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~
Nevermind.

pixelbaron fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Feb 12, 2013

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~

Un-l337-Pork posted:

Here's the ending: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMLJ-JJBvn4

Basically, it's just a poo poo ending to a poo poo game.

I like that you don't even get to finish the job. An NPC does.

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~

Giggily posted:

The person who was in his cryo pod is actually someone else entirely, also it's a long story. Official explanation.

And that is literally the explanation the game gives and moves on like that's acceptable.

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~
I guess the ranking system is unbalancing multiplayer. Marine XP goes up while playing any mode, whether it's singleplayer, co-op, or multiplayer. Aliens only get ranking when they play multiplayer.

So you only have to play a couple of hours of the singleplayer campaign to have a kitted out badass Marine that can take out some new Alien player trying to make his way up in the world.

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~
Pretty sure the 'Badass' thing was edited in by someone.

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_LGRjl-QCIs

Has this been posted? If not it's worth a look.

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~
I need to get AvP2

I've never played it. :(

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~
Yeah I still load up AvP Classic every now and then and me and my friends will play co-op or alien tag. Still fun and scary as poo poo at times.

I am with you on the digital download, wish AvP2 was up somewhere.

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~

BadLlama posted:

In the escape multiplayer mode are there AI controlled trash aliens or is literally just 4v4?

None of the multiplayer modes have AI, unless you do the drop in co-op with friends.

Some might say that's a blessing.

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~

ApexAftermath posted:

All I got is "please stand by" on the twitch stream from GB. What gives?

It's over already. The recording is up on their channel if you want to watch an hour and thirty minutes of them trying really hard not to sound pissed off.

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~

AlternateAccount posted:

But... they don't have eyes to begin with?

It's a long story.

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~
With a development time of 6 years I am going to guess the game was scrapped at least once and then they had to scramble to get something together and meet milestones.

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~
Apparently people are having issues with installing the game to their hard drive on the 360. Sometimes you'll turn the system off and come back to the game later (why you would do this I have no idea) and all single and multiplayer progress is erased. :v:

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~

quote:

Not the greatest screenshots in the world but its what I could get at the time when I left the project. The lighting engine was only 45% done for the project and it really made it hard to get good cubemaps and gi on the environments. Hopefully I can get my hands on the game soon and get better screens. For now this is all I have also on ACM a lot of the game art asset wise was outsourced to Shanghai so nothing you can do to really point fingers. Also keep in mind the game was in development for 6 years so when a lot of us polycounters joined the project the game was still filled with 6 year old assets that we had no time to fix or replace.

From polycount

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~

Thumbnail looks like a screenshot from UT99 but click it.

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~

Shyfted One posted:

What part of the game is that from and on what settings? I saw a lot of bad textures while running through the game, but I don't recall seeing that.

Not sure. I was browsing other forums and came across an image dump of bad screenshots for the game:

Link

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~
Some more gems:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~

Majuju posted:

I tried petitioning Steam for a refund but they just sent me a form letter back saying 'sorry, no refunds' :(

I hear they are pretty understanding with refunds if it's your first time asking for one, but if you've gotten a refund in the past it's pretty much impossible. Can anyone confirm or deny that?

• Locked thread