Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.

MUFFlNS posted:

Speaking of which, David Fincher definitely made the right call by being ballsy enough to kill her off, same with Hicks.

Amen. That's a big part of why three is my favorite of the films. Alien was a great take no prisoners horror movie, Aliens comes along and it's just a slightly above average summer action film, and then three jumps right in at the start and lets you know it won't be pandering to you for two hours. I just don't understand the hate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,

az posted:

I don't understand why the animations still look so.. bad.

Yeah. I've been occasionally skimming this thread and quietly hoping for the best in spite of my gut instincts, but that trailer looks more like a fan film made with Poser 6 than an advertisement for a product that they want people to spend money on.

I don't get it. A good Alien game really shouldn't be all that hard to do.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,

AzureSkys posted:

I wonder why it's so hard to make a proper film or game in the Aliens universe.

Probably because someone is forking over a fistfull of cash upfront just for the name before any money even starts flowing into the actual product itself. Right out the gate anybody working on the actual game has the investors and company bean counters standing over their shoulder mouthing "helpful advise" and backseat developing. It's why so many licensed titles suck.

*Well, that and the whole "hurry up and get it done so it's timely" thing, but I don't think that was a big factor for this one.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,

Mouser.. posted:

The. loving. End.

Well...I guess on the up side, Alien: Resurrection seems less stupid now.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,

ImpAtom posted:

Wait, wait, wait. How the holy gently caress is Hicks alive? You don't mean Hudson, right?

poo poo, how the gently caress is Bishop there? If Hicks and Bishop are there, why not mix in Newt and Jones the cat, for a super feel good ending? And why is the robot stunt double for the richest space billionaire in space history the only robot that can't fake breathe?

InsanityIsCrazy posted:

Need I remind y'all that Resurrection was canon

No it wasn't. Because I say so.

It was the prequel to Amélie

Lord Frankenstyle fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Feb 8, 2013

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,

Bwahaha. It'd be better if this was a bug, because knowing the "why" actually makes it worse. The only money Gearbox is gonna make off of this is if Sega gives them a kickback, because the only game this one has convinced me to buy is AVP 2010.

I hope it's modable, because that Xeno seriously needs a walker and a "Git offa my lawn" voice over.

Lord Frankenstyle fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Feb 11, 2013

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,

Batham posted:

Originally they were going to give it a giant phallus. :shepface:

I've seen better shots of the actual sculpt for that. The finished product was even more clear that the giant phallus is penetrating it's own stomach vagina. They actually made an appliance for the finished suit to cover it up, since the producers were like "Awww, Hell no".

It was such a great metaphor for that whole films "Go gently caress yourself" message.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,

rizuhbull posted:

I don't think it was intentional.

Yeah it was. Somewhere in the bucket of extras on the Bluray set they talk about the director specifically asking for the penis/vagina stomach design. I seem to recall it was somebody on the production crew aping Giger though, and not actually his design.

I can't believe I was bored enough to have watched the extras for that though.

As far as the "canon" goes, eh...I dunno. In the extras there are a few guys who worked on making the earlier films who actively opposed Resurrection and were pushing Fox execs not to make it. I forget exactly who though, and I'm not bored enough to actually look at this point in my life.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,

JerikTelorian posted:

but didn't everyone pretty much agree that Alien 3 sucked

No. 3 is not quite as good as 1, and 2 is a fun action movie that's okay but a bit out of place. 4 was some sort of reality prototrolling experiment.

ImpAtom posted:

the director's cut helps it a lot.

Yeah three is my second favorite, and on some days I may say it's first, but only the extended cut. The theatrical version is a patchwork mess.

Lord Frankenstyle fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Feb 13, 2013

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,

MadJackMcJack posted:

Am I a terrible person for thinking this game isn't the worst thing ever?

Nope. I'm jealous of everyone who is sincerely finding some fun in it despite it's flaws. It beats being a guy like me, who will wait to buy it used for fifteen bucks long after multiplayer is dead, and then sit and play it feeling bitter and drunk and pissed off that I just had to get it because it's an Alien title, and I can't resist the need to own it.

Hell. My SO just got me one of these for Valentines day,

and I secretly wish she'd known this game was coming out and got it for me instead, so I could own it without feeling stupid for giving Gearbox money.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,

Stare-Out posted:

Alien3 is the best Alien movie, particularly the extended cut. One of the best things about it is the massive rage it causes by killing off Hicks and Newt when the whole theme of the movie is based around death and despair and how the fate of the Alien species is tied with Ripley's fate.

Thank you and amen. I'm consistently amazed by the number of people that seeming wanted a sequel revolving around a plucky patchwork family kicking alien rear end. Killing them wasn't a case of somehow "invalidating" the events in Aliens, it simply set the stage for the final act.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,

Execu-speak posted:

I don't believe for a second that the differences can be chalked up to 'console optimization'.

Yeah, that argument makes zero sense. I've got far older games (including AVP 2010) that look and play far better than A:CM. If it was a case of console-itis, why isn't every other 360 game an unplayable mess with textures from the late 90's?

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,

ApexAftermath posted:

Nope.

"Hey- I sure wouldn't mind getting some of that Arturian poontang,
remember that?"
"Yeah except the one you had was male!"
"It don't matter when it's Arturian!"

That could be referencing local human culture on a colony. A couple minor changes, and it could be a couple guys talking about picking up "ladyboys" on a trip to Thailand.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
I finally got more than five minutes to sit down and really play AVP 2010. It's actually fairly fun even in just campaign mode, and the Aliens are the perfect combo of speed and toughness. Sure it's not perfect, but it should rub an Alien geek the right way. Plus whoever said that the Alien campaign is a drag was way off. I've been having a blast skittering on walls and ceilings, and popping the heads off of marines like I'm opening beers. If they'd left off the silly "versus Predator" angle and made the Marine/Alien bits beefier this game would have been...oh...

It would have been what A:CM was supposed to have been.

goddamnit

blackguy32 posted:

Not even Michael Biehn has been in the spotlight despite him starring in Terminator

Other than Terminator and Aliens, in the handful of low budget crap and TV shows he's shown up in he was absolutely terrible. Plus if you watch all the quadrillogy extras, you can kinda tell he has the tendency to be a bitchy crybaby about anything he doesn't like.

Yodzilla posted:

I thought the Alien campaign was good fun save for the very end. I remember it being really goddamn hard and frustrating there but I also think I was playing on a higher difficulty. It's the Predator campaign that mostly sucks for how hamstrung your powers are and the stupid Xenomorph boxing minigame.

Yeah, I haven't touched the Predator poo poo and I probably won't. I thought the whole Alien/Predator combo was stupid even back when I was young enough to have an excuse for thinking it was cool. I can't believe there was a market for that many AvP movies. I mean I like Ice Cream, and I like seafood, but the next logical step isn't a Butter Pecan Lobster Sundae.

Lord Frankenstyle fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Feb 15, 2013

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,

Lassitude posted:

Yeah, the Aliens "making of" stuff has him bitching about how James Cameron brought in actual soldiers to help teach the actors who'd be playing the marines how to behave more soldier-like.

He really starts whimpering in the A3 extras. He's so bent out of shape, at first because he thought 3 would be Hicks Newt and Ripley as the perfect alien rear end kicking family. Then he starts going on about how little he got paid for all his hard work in Aliens, and how his real issue was that he figured A3 would finally be his big payday. He cries a lot about personal finances.

Lord Frankenstyle fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Feb 15, 2013

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,

Not a viking posted:

Everyone should get AvP Classic on Steam and get in on some multiplayer action.

I was actually just looking at it, but the screenshots are turning me off. Is it really all that?

e:

Pffft...nevermind. For five bucks, who cares? I'll probably be in it this evening.

Lord Frankenstyle fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Feb 17, 2013

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,

Liquid Penguins posted:

Is it safe to assume at this point that gearbox was stuck releasing something they knew was absolute garbage to avoid a lawsuit from Sega?

Eh. I prefer to say that they decided to gently caress their customers to avoid getting hosed for loving over Sega.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,

MadJackMcJack posted:

I'd love that. Spend several days setting up your Xenomorph farm and then watch as they inevitably escape and massacre the farmhands.

Or you start as an alien queen churning out giftable eggs. Then your friends start getting messages like "Robopope fed your chickens, and left a strange present in the barn..."

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,

blackguy32 posted:

A lot of the answers people bring up about Prometheus can be found if you just pay attention. Yes, there are dumb characters in the movie, but they are also human and don't always have to be rational.

Of all the "That doesn't make sense" complaints I hear about Prometheus, easily a third of them are answered pretty clearly if you are halfway paying attention. Another third go unanswered either to preserve mystery or because the answers are less important than the question being raised. The movie runs into trouble with the remaining third though, because that chunk is made up of really bad and generally lazy writing.

Darko posted:

I think that Alien and Aliens take just as much thinking, just in different ways.

Aliens or Alien 3? Aliens was a fun action movie for sure, but it's pretty typical James Cameron leave you brain at the door type stuff. He has a gift for taking beat to death cliches and somehow making them entertaining, in spite of the fact that it's nothing that hasn't been done a million times before.

Lord Frankenstyle fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Feb 21, 2013

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,

Bruceski posted:

they declared Jesus to be an Engineer.

I assume Ridley Scott was just very very drunk when he did that interview. That whole idea totally invalidates all of the bits in Prometheus that were actually interesting or made any kind of sense.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,

Huge Spatula posted:

Aliens is one of my favorite movies, but I like Alien more because in Alien the creature's motivations and intelligence are entirely a mystery. They aren't just mindless bugs like they are in Aliens.

Really? The bit I liked most in Aliens was when they seemed to imply that the Aliens are more than just mindless killers, and pushed the idea a bit further than Ash's ambiguous refusal to give Ripley an answer when she asked if he'd communicated with it. When Ripley is in the egg chamber, she does the whole nod and gesture thing suggesting "If I can leave with my kid, I won't start shooting yours". Then the Queen wave off the Xenos that were closing in on Ripley with a nod. Then as the pair are leaving, the queen tries to back stab her and Ripley starts shooting.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,

Krenzo posted:

The queen also knows how to use the elevator.

I could never decide if all that noise was her in the elevator, or her climbing the shaft and busting through the elevator.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,

Xenomrph posted:

Also Ridley Scott has said that the Deacon (the Alien-ish creature from the end of Prometheus) isn't a proto-Alien, it's more of a side-cousin. He pointed out that while the movie takes place several decades before 'Alien', the derelict ship in 'Alien' is still crashed on LV-426 for millennia prior to the events of 'Prometheus', so the Aliens as we know them definitely exist before 'Prometheus'.

Hunh. I never considered the time differential, and assumed the canisters came before the eggs rather than the other way around. So those Canopic jars of mutation goo could very well be the end result of the Engineers research/weaponization of the Xenomorphs. Basically, they find the aliens a thousand or two years back and proceed to do exactly what Weyland-Yutani wanted to do when they ran across them. Which makes me feel better about Prometheus since that just steers it away from loving with the Aliens origins, and instead it just veers off into a parallel story line. Full of dumb people making dumb decisions.

...not to say I didn't like the movie, but I get the criticisms. I like it in spite of itself.

Also...the Deacon? Why not call it Lance Armstrong, considering it has that stupid bicycle helmet head.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,

ReV VAdAUL posted:

It is enjoyable enigmatic the way it is presented in Alien and the fact they forgot about it by the time of Aliens gives interesting hints about the nature of the company.

I don't think they forgot about it. I assumed that the company suits grilling Ripley in Aliens were outside of the "need to know" crew, and were sent in to discredit Ripley's story. They didn't believe her story because people higher up the company food chain intentionally kept them in the dark, not because the signal from Lv-426 had been forgotten. Burke clearly knew about it.

I really like the movie, but this is the perfect word to describe it. There is this weird dichotomy going on where it tries to be a "thinking mans film", but if you think about it either too much or too little the whole thing starts to fall apart.

Lord Frankenstyle fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Feb 21, 2013

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,

ReV VAdAUL posted:

There was a colony on the planet for decades which kinda undermines the need to know basis. In the director's cut we see the guy who seems to be the colony's senior official saying he sent a couple of wildcatters to investigate the coordinates Burke gave them so he clearly didn't know about it either and no effort had been made by the company to conceal or secure the vessel.

Burke just used the information in Ripley's testimony, no extra knowledge was required or implied.

I don't remember where or in which movie, but it's brought up that the signal either died or was shut down by the Nostromo crew. Without a signal they didn't know exactly where the derelict was located and hadn't managed to find it yet. They sent the coordinates and (a bullshit excuse to send a team to check them out) to the colony after they recovered the Nostromos records from Ripleys escape pod. Newt's family was essentially "Nodtromo crew 2.0", sent in with no relevant info so that the company could maintain plausible deniability. The colony was a legitimate colony, and the fact that there were hidden alien artifacts on the planet was an added bonus/impetus to locate the colony on Lv-426.

But yeah, the colony folks were all being kept in the dark. They were there to at worst establish a new colony, and at best "stumble" on invaluable alien tech. If anything went wrong, the Company can then claim ignorance, and that way no competitors or government regulators are asking why the company keeps sending survey teams to scour the surface of a barren and uninhabitable rock.

Lord Frankenstyle fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Feb 21, 2013

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,

ReV VAdAUL posted:

I've heard of the signal dying before but the rest of what you say doesn't seem to be supported by the movie at all?

I know I'm forgetting some details, but the fact that the company sends a vague message to the colony to send a team to the exact location of the derelict right after recovering Ripley and the escape pod, while at the same time denying having found any info to back up Ripleys story as they are drumming her out of her career, made it pretty clear that this is what they were up to.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,

xyigx posted:

I much prefer to think we were either a accident or just the equivalent to vermin to them.

I really expected them to find that we were created to be crash test dummies, and the Earth was to be a firing range for military testing. Basically their DOD keep a bunch of seeded planets on hand to chuck experimental weapons at. I was hoping for the big reveal to be that "God" raised us up just so he'd have something to knock down later. Maybe in the sequel.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,

Darko posted:

Your kinda dumb.

ReV VAdAUL posted:

And you smell funny.

Well poo poo, I got schooled. But I wish I was still living in ignorance, because Aliens has dropped a few slots down on my list of favorites. For years I assumed that the foundation of the plot was based on corporate greed and hubris. Now I find out it was really just sloppy record keeping and coincidence. Plus, I feel stupid.

I liked the predators well enough, in predator movies. But the whole AVP crossover fanfiction in film thing annoys me deeply.
VVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

Lord Frankenstyle fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Feb 22, 2013

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,

Hellburger99 posted:

Technically the original alien had a humanoid skull underneath a semi-transparent dome. You can see it better in the original Kenner alien figure (which I wanted so badly as a kid but they were like $200).

Nuh-unh. I got mine for under 20 bucks when they first came out. The problem was that there were tons of complaints from parents about they toy being "too scary" to be on display, so they were pulled from the shelves in a lot of stores and became almost impossible to find, which is why there was a big price jump. Lucky for me, my mother wasn't uptight about her kid blowing his birthday money on nightmare fuel. The skull was also painted with glow in the dark paint, and looked awesome with the lights out.

e: Found a photo of one. Not mine, it's boxed up in a closet.

The underside of the rear of the head is a hidden trigger that opens the mouth, and makes the inner mouth pop out. I spent hours having him do battle with my Kraken from the original Clash of the Titans.

Lord Frankenstyle fucked around with this message at 11:41 on Feb 23, 2013

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,

Sire Oblivion posted:

The NECA one is pretty big though, don't have it myself.

I don't collect figures at all, other than a handful that survived my childhood. But on a whim I got the Neca Space Jockey the other day to make my desktop seem less sterile and utilitarian, and it's a goddamn work of art.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
drat. The AVP redux mod for AvP 2000 classic is 3.2 gigs, for a game that's only 553K in the first place. Does anybody know if it's worth it?

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,

Whaaa? Who made that, and when? Also, I want that Narcissus.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,

BexGu posted:

I'm just really wondering if Sega could sue Gearbox for a mis-use of funds. Sure it could be tough to prove unless a couple of people come forward and testified but would really lay down that developers wouldn't be allowed to do this kind of crap again.

Probably not. The reason why you don't see these sorts of lawsuits too often is because with this business model, stealing money looks no different than legitimate business practice. In court, company "A" says:

"We gave them money to make a game, and they made a poo poo product because they took most of our money and spent it on making their own game."

Company "B" says:

"Nope. We made them a game that they subjectively don't like, and used the profits from our hard work to re-invest in our own product line."

Unless the CEO of company takes out full pages ads in all the major newspapers confessing that his favorite pastime is embezzlement, there's not much chance of actually proving it happened even if they were using the worlds worst accountant.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,

Xenomrph posted:

But in a case like this, couldn't they demonstrate that the final game is nothing like the earlier demos (and is in fact objectively inferior), coupled with the universal critical disdain for the game, and that the money from Sega was going to non-Sega projects before the game was being sold to the public (and thus isn't "profits" from the Sega project)?

Maybe. But then you have to look at how expensive it's gonna be to prove all that, versus how much money is left to recover after Gearboxes Hookers and Blow budget is factored in.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,

kirbysuperstar posted:

I heard that Randy Pitchford can't have an orgasm unless he kills a dog.

Lets not resort to wild accusations.

He just chokes the dog until it passes out.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,

Slayer1597 posted:

I hate to keep making posts like these, but I am still looking for a few people that have A:CM or AVP2010 on the XBOX.

I've been playing 2010, but don't have A:CM. Feel free to add X FrankNstyle X, but I'm not on as often as I used to be, and usually only on between like 2AM and 10AM EST.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,

Pseudophile posted:

This Hicks is clearly an android. You can tell by the dead, lifeless speech that sounds pre-recorded and mashed together when queried for a response, Terminator style.

Naw. That's just the voice of a man who wakes up every morning, looks into the bathroom mirror and says "Today. Today is my day. Today will be the day I get a call to do a cameo on that Sarah Connor Chronicles TV show".

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,

Wade Wilson posted:

Which would be hilariously pathetic considering how that show has been cancelled for years.

That's my point.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,

alf_pogs posted:

I bet it was some e-terrorist hater from a sub-contracted company. Those guys are always up to no good.

It was old man Smithers, the caretaker of the abandoned amusement park! It's just like the time he cut eye-holes in a sheet and made Duke Nukem Forever in an attempt to scare those construction workers away from renovating the old orphanage.

In between making Borderlands sequels and solving mysteries with his plucky gang, it's a wonder how Randy finds the time to...

Oh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
My inside source tells me that Gearbox and Sega have hired extra staff, and at this very moment they're all working overtime scribbling out the Sega and Gearbox logos on the box covers with Sharpies.

Also, all the customer service reps have been replaced with Native Americans who are only allowed to speak Navajo.

• Locked thread