Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
Picked up the game(and book) and played it for an hour or so. I feel a little overwhelmed by all the gameplay elements. But I like that in a way. There's just so many people to talk to and such and I don't even know where to start or if to start on any of these quests.

The voices aren't annoying me at all though so far. I thought for sure I would have to switch to Japanese voices but nope.

I've never actually played a game with fast travel so I keep having to remind myself it's there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F. Lobot
Jul 6, 2010

Junkie Disease posted:

Dunban to me was Shanks from one piece. Whats Citan/Jin from?

I thought the same thing, so much so that I subconsciously assumed Dunban had lost his arm after prolonged use of the Monado.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
This game has amazing load times. Case in point, I didn't know it was possible to do seamless quick travel on a game that runs entirely from the disc.

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
I love how involved you can choose to be in your customization. 5 hours in and I just realized that each party member has his own AP pool. :downs:

e. Also I'm enjoying wii remote+nunchuk controls, they're not as bad as the internet made me believe.

Fun Times! fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Apr 7, 2012

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!
No kidding. Quick travel isn't that fast in Oblivion running entirely from my harddrive.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

What's the deal with "Affinity coins?"

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Knowledge is born from Curiosity.

muscles like this? posted:

What's the deal with "Affinity coins?"

On the skills screen for any character you can press - I believe to open up the skill link menu where you can equip certain skills from other party members onto a given character. Each skill you link requires a certain amount of affinity coins to equip so it's best that you get as many as you can. Each unique monster you kill will give one.

F. Lobot
Jul 6, 2010

I'm several hours in, and I still can't figure out how the hell to link skills. I go to the menu, but like, I can't do anything. It's like it's less of a menu and more of a static image of juicy skills I wish my party member had.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

IIRC, press minus when you're in the skills menu? It should be listed there. I don't think you get it until you get to the third zone, though.

Each skill has an Affinity Coin cost to link. It's not an actual currency that gets expended, though, but permanent points. So don't be afraid to switch skill links around willy nilly.

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Knowledge is born from Curiosity.

F. Lobot posted:

I'm several hours in, and I still can't figure out how the hell to link skills. I go to the menu, but like, I can't do anything. It's like it's less of a menu and more of a static image of juicy skills I wish my party member had.

The skill you want to link has to have been unlocked by the character you are linking to, and the shape of the skill has to match the slot you are placing it into and of course you need the affinity coins available to equip it. You unlock more link slots between the two characters as you up their affinity level. Even a few hours in you probably can't do much with it.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Oh my god Satorl Marsh at night.

Daynab
Aug 5, 2008

OmegaZultan posted:

Oh my god Satorl Marsh at night.

Yeah, that has to be the scariest zone I've seen so far, for your level. Tons of high level stuff you don't want to aggro by mistake, monsters everywhere.

Raspberry Bang
Feb 14, 2007

Just spent five hours in the first ding all the side quests and stuff. Couldn't be happier. This game is awesome.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.

Raspberry Bang posted:

Just spent five hours in the first ding all the side quests and stuff. Couldn't be happier. This game is awesome.

Wanna know a secret? There's still a ton more in that zone that unlocks as you progress in the game. And every major zone also have just as much or more side quests than what you just did.

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

There are secret areas in almost every zone too. Get exploring. It's interesting reading first impressions. :shobon:

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Daynab posted:

Yeah, that has to be the scariest zone I've seen so far, for your level. Tons of high level stuff you don't want to aggro by mistake, monsters everywhere.

It's scarier in the day because 90% of the nighttime mobs wont aggro to you.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Daynab posted:

No, I meant how loving gorgeous it is.

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

Wait until you guys see the E___h _e_ under its unique weather condition. :allears:

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Gyoru posted:

Wait until you guys see the E___h _e_ under its unique weather condition. :allears:

I'm honestly not sure if I've ever seen that. Huh. Maybe I should just idle there a while.

Daynab
Aug 5, 2008

Yeah how do you even get weather to happen? I've seen thunderstorms like 4 times in 35 hours. Advancing the time didn't seem to do anything.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Daynab posted:

Yeah how do you even get weather to happen? I've seen thunderstorms like 4 times in 35 hours. Advancing the time didn't seem to do anything.

They will happen eventually if you just keep screwing with the time. It takes a while, but it will happen.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I'm honestly not sure if I've ever seen that. Huh. Maybe I should just idle there a while.

Just keep fiddling with the time at night, and keep watching the skies. It's simply gorgeous.

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
Is there a reason to not accept side quests? Like any at all?

Office Thug
Jan 17, 2008

Luke Cage just shut you down!

Fun Times! posted:

No. Go nuts, accept everything, talk to everyone too since it helps unlock other quests and the rewards can get pretty juicy later on.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I think it's in the main storyline itself though I could be wrong. If you're not sure, it's the shooting stars at night.

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005
Is the game that much better looking on Dolphin? Can't decide whether to play it on the Wii itself or Dolphin.

I ran into a couple sound issues but I've got a fast enough computer that it should run fine. Just don't want to decide on one only to be indecisive, leaning towards the real Wii.

Daynab
Aug 5, 2008

1080p versus 720p, that's really the main difference. There's also a patch somewhere for the sound. It's mentioned on the dolphin forums.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Daynab posted:

1080p versus 720p, that's really the main difference. There's also a patch somewhere for the sound. It's mentioned on the dolphin forums.

The Wii can't do 720p. It supports 480p max.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!
If you have a computer that can run it, I'd say go with the Dolphin. It's one of the most gorgeous Wii games either way, but the higher resolution will have your screen less cluttered by your character's Stats.

Deep Winter
Mar 26, 2010
...in the old thread, I lamented that this was only on Wii. I live with three other people, and we like to play family games, mostly guitar hero(s). Well, today after I had forgotten about it, gamestop had a deal for a new Wii + Super Mario Bros Wii for $150.

Thinking that'd be fun, I bought it, and at the cashier, I saw this game, and was all like, "Holy poo poo! That Game!" And promtly started explaining to a roommate why it was a big deal. Didn't even know it was released here until I saw it!

Daynab
Aug 5, 2008

Kilometers Davis posted:

The Wii can't do 720p. It supports 480p max.

Oh. I'm not much of a console person :v:

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Fun Times! posted:

By doing all of them you will be overleveled for the main story. If you don't care about that. Go nuts.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

I spent like 45 minutes running in circles around the first town trying to return some lady's lost key because I didn't realize most side quests auto-complete. Then I jumped off a cliff and fought a giant caterpillar with my cockney sidekick.

Game owns.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
Just threw four hours into the game, here's my first impressions.

The graphics blowwwww. Ugh. The textures are muddy and are about as jagged as a boy scout's serrated knife. That said, the art is nice, but man! I wish this was on the 360 or the PS3. Or even the Vita. It's weird that Monster Hunter Freedom Unite looks better on the Vita than XB looks on a home console. BLEH.

Now the good parts.

There are tons of systems going on in the game, so much so that it's nearly overwhelming, but the game does okay in teaching these at a decent step. The gameplay itself is fun-- the battles feel streamlined like in FF13 without feeling as though you've given up complete control, which is a fine line to walk, but the game does it well so far. Plus it's a ton of fun getting into fights and hunting for items without going overboard a la how Monster Hunter can.

The voice acting is great, despite the characters' talking animations not matching the words being spoken. I haven't really rolled my eyes (too hard at least) at any cheesy lines like I do routinely in a FF game. No one's emo, no one's eager to be a hero, and only a couple times has a character spoken wistfully about his destiny (Dunban :argh: )

The best part, far and away, however, is the story. WOW, what a nice set up for an RPG. The backstory that sets up this game's world is great and feels super original and fresh. Also, four hours in, and I've already felt awe at how badass some of the cutscene fights look, and I've been infuriated by Fiore kicking the bucket (though I've heard there's time traveling, and I expect I might save her, Chrono Trigger-style later on, but shhhh, let me keep thinking that and don't ruin it for me).

Game's worth the $50, go buy it, it's fun.

One other thing-- in my most recent email from Nintendo, it states the game is "in stores now." Not "in Gamestop" or "available online," but "in stores now" so I'm thinking this might be getting a widened release, which is a good thing. Whoever is responsible for making this game needs to get enough $$$$ to make more, 'cause this bodes well for further projects.

Soul Glo fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Apr 7, 2012

Daynab
Aug 5, 2008

Despite everything, Dunban is my favorite character in the crew. How often in a rpg do you get to actually play and hang out with the "legendary hero dude who saved the day in the past?" well, now you do!

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Daynab posted:

Despite everything, Dunban is my favorite character in the crew. How often in a rpg do you get to actually play and hang out with the "legendary hero dude who saved the day in the past?" well, now you do!

Auron. Plus, he was a zombie hero! Extra coolness.

edit: Sorry, one word reply. Just saying, Dunban, SO FAR in my four hours, is about the most cliched part of this game, but considering how new everything else about it feels, he gets a pass. :)

Soul Glo fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Apr 7, 2012

Daynab
Aug 5, 2008

Soul Glo posted:

Auron.

edit: Sorry, one word reply. Just saying, Dunban, SO FAR in my four hours, is about the most cliched part of this game, but considering how new everything else about it feels, he gets a pass. :)

Haha, there's no doubt he is cliché, but in a game that isn't completely full of them I'm fine with it. I just find him likeable for some reason.

Latte Lottie
Oct 6, 2011

Getting 1st place is impossible...
Only got to play 2 hours yesterday, it's really good. Best game? Maybe, can't wait to find out.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Is there something that dictates what collectible i will get from a blue orbs in regards to where I am on a field/dungeon, or is it any collectible can appear from any blue orb?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

ShooterHeart1CC posted:

Only got to play 2 hours yesterday, it's really good. Best game? Maybe, can't wait to find out.

I thought it was pretty average up until about hours three to four. It gets better, and apparently, keeps improving through Act 1. One tenet of JRPG's still present in Xenoblade is the fact that it is a moderately slow burn.

• Locked thread