Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar
Love it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tibeerius
Feb 22, 2007

PurplieNurplie posted:

Is there any way to get the Pandora Mushroom away from the spider in the Windy Cave without walking? I'm playing on an emulator, so I can't really tilt the stick to walk, so I'm just curious if there's another solution besides coming back and fighting something level 70+
The spider won't aggro you if you're quiet... :ssh:

Edit: poo poo, missed the part about you lacking analog controls, don't mind me... :(

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I finally got mine. It's definitely a JRPG, it has a caring female protagonist, an oblivious male protagonist, his happy-go-lucky friend, and a magic sword with hidden power. Can't say much more on only an hour or so of playing though. Norio Wakamoto showed up in the first five minutes so that's a good sign.

more like FAILdows get it
Nov 19, 2007

punch a friend in the butt

Samurai Sanders posted:

I finally got mine. It's definitely a JRPG, it has a caring female protagonist, an oblivious male protagonist, his happy-go-lucky friend, and a magic sword with hidden power. Can't say much more on only an hour or so of playing though. Norio Wakamoto showed up in the first five minutes so that's a good sign.

Don't worry, the usual formula gets shaken up a bit pretty soon.

InfiniteJesters
Jan 26, 2012

Samurai Sanders posted:

Norio Wakamoto showed up in the first five minutes so that's a good sign.

Wait, what? WHERE? :eek:

I MUST KNOW.

Dammit. On the one hand, British accents. On the other hand, Norio Wakamoto. BUT I CAN'T HAVE BOTH AT ONCE AND THIS ISN'T FAIR. :gonk:

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar
I too judge games by the first hour of the gameplay and story, it's How I Roll.

KoB
May 1, 2009

InfiniteJesters posted:

Wait, what? WHERE? :eek:

I MUST KNOW.

Dammit. On the one hand, British accents. On the other hand, Norio Wakamoto. BUT I CAN'T HAVE BOTH AT ONCE AND THIS ISN'T FAIR. :gonk:

Hes the guy who runs from Dunban in the beginning cutscene.

Also Dunban is Vegeta.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Stop with the nerd poo poo; we're trying to talk videogames here!

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Louisgod posted:

I too judge games by the first hour of the gameplay and story, it's How I Roll.
Oh I'm definitely not done judging the game yet, I had to start to get to work.

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
My Nintendo-bought copy has arrived! :dance:

...Now I just have to survive the 3-day weekend of constant severe tornado outbreaks in Oklahoma. :ohdear:

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar

Samurai Sanders posted:

Oh I'm definitely not done judging the game yet, I had to start to get to work.

Oh I know, just giving you a hard time. It may have some generic anime themes but what the game does with them is really the highlight.

sudonim
Oct 6, 2005
Ha ha, love the new title. Seriously the open world with no invisible walls is one of my favorite parts of this game. I was fighting some bird jackass on a rope bridge and it slam attacked me, knocking me into the river. It was like five seconds of

FFFUUUUUCccccckkkk splash

I've haven't played a game in a while that tickled the kid in me this much, especially a jRPG.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

KoB posted:

Hes the guy who runs from Dunban in the beginning cutscene.

Also Dunban is Vegeta.
Abayoououu!!! (in Wakamoto voice)

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Does anyone know if there are any major differences between the PAL and NTSC versions?

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar

Ledneh posted:

Does anyone know if there are any major differences between the PAL and NTSC versions?

This gets asked a lot and I put the answer in the OP, but to answer your question here, there are no differences in the actual gameplay that anybody is aware of.

I know there was another often asked question about the game but I forgot what it was. Any ideas?

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Louisgod posted:

I know there was another often asked question about the game but I forgot what it was. Any ideas?

I know a question that often seems to get asked is "Should I do the sidequests? Or just story run the game?"

I can't remember any other questions that get asked a lot beside that one.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar

The Black Stones posted:

I know a question that often seems to get asked is "Should I do the sidequests? Or just story run the game?"

I can't remember any other questions that get asked a lot beside that one.

I see there's a small bit in the OP that mentions how you'll be overleveled if you do quests, so hopefully that's enough.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
So, i just bought my first new armor sets for the last character. These stats are pretty nice, hot drat. Put them on...

:stare:

:ughh:

Goddamn, they are terrible. Really awful. I feel vaguely offended now. Why you gotta do this to me, game? I was cautiously hopeful due to how the standard equipment looked, too. :(

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Louisgod posted:

"Can I play this with a Wiimote + nunchuk or do I need to get a classic controller? What about a gamecube controller, will that work?"

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

HenryEx posted:

So, i just bought my first new armor sets for the last character. These stats are pretty nice, hot drat. Put them on...

Goddamn, they are terrible. Really awful. I feel vaguely offended now. Why you gotta do this to me, game? I was cautiously hopeful due to how the standard equipment looked, too. :(

I felt the same way a little while ago when I was checking the armor I had picked up. I equipped Sharla with some better armor and the first thing I see is that it's a v-neck that goes all the way down to her waist. It's like, :cmon:, I can't go around fighting in this.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

HenryEx posted:

Yeah, a lot of them are pretty terrible. Some of the other armor sets make her look like Megaman though, so at least there's that to look forward to. It just kind of sucks that the Speed armor is just so drat good with that Haste gem.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

When travelling is there any easy way to see which mobs I see on the way are for quests, short of memorizing the log / checking it frequently?

pliable
Sep 26, 2003

this is what u get for "180 x 180 avatars"

this is what u fucking get u bithc
Fun Shoe
Game arrived yesterday. I've played for a few hours, and once again, goon recommendations didn't fail me :). Loving it so far, the battle system is p. loving sweet, and I imagine I could waste many hours with this game...

wefeelgroove
Oct 21, 2010
I'm still not very far, I just got to Colony 6 and oh my god, the Mechon have cockney accents!? This is officially GOTY. Of all years. Until the end of time.

Also, Reyn is a dope of the highest calibur. Yes, let's tell Sharla that the Mechon eat people five seconds after she learns that they've kidnapped her fiance! GREAT IDEA! :haw:

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
Man these guys won't shut up in battle but at least i know what time it is. I'm only at the caves with the huge caterpillarwhich killed me repeatedly until i hit level 13 and got revenge. So far so good although Reyn for some reason has gotten a fuckton of weapons while Shulk is still with his junk sword.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
How on earth does this game let you fast travel INSTANTLY, without even a split second of loading time? I have never seen anything like it.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

evilalien posted:

You should have been able to buy weapons that allow party members to damage mechons without Shulk's Monado powers back at the start of Sword Valley. You'll find more shops with similar weapons soon as well.

Well hopefully those later weapons don't suck, because the ones sold in Sword Valley are terrible, both in lack-of-slots and overall stats.

Currently level 51 in Galahad(currently, not when I entered). Managed to beat a quest at level 50 that makes you fight a giant level 53 enemy that was easily harder than any boss so far. Killed it with Reyn at >500hp, Sharla dead, party gauge at 1 bar, and Shulk's auto attack finished it while trying to get to Sharla. Celebration was short lived though since about 30 seconds later it dropped a level 57 unique named enemy of the same type in the same place. He quickly avenged the quest mob and I'm not going to even consider going after it until I'm at least on the same level. They have too much hp and make the fight long as hell.

Kind of lame that HP maxes at 9999. With gems it's extremely easy to hit that with Reyn. He and Riki seem like they'll hit the cap in the 70s, if not sooner, without gems. Using 2 +20-24% hp gems on Shulk and Sharla is nice though.

Happysafer posted:

It's nearly impossible to determine the best equipment for my characters, gem crafting is a chore that I don't even need to bother with,(there isn't way to upgrade gems, right?) and I've been pretty under leveled for every boss. I give 2 or 3 tries, realize I can't win, go back and grind out some sub quests and then kill the boss. Boring.

If you'd actually craft gems you'd find yourself grinding less. A few levels is nice but aside from the fact that being underleveled requires you to barely explore and avoid a lot of fights, an extra 5-10 agility gem or 2 early on and some 10% hp gems makes up for a missing level or 2 pretty quickly.

The inventory management is a weak point though, can't argue that.

Blind Sally posted:

Furthermore, sometimes the armour with the best stats look terrible on your character. So you often have to sacrifice your stats in order to properly accessorize and look like a badass.

Yes, I do this. :colbert:

Does heavy armor ever have slots? I'm using the heavy/orion gear on Reyn right now and while he looks cool as hell her gets no armor slots if I do, so +hp ends up on weapons and stuff like +recovery can't be used so I end up having to swap a piece out for it.

It'd be nice if heavy armor wasn't so rare, and useless for anything but pure-melee defense due to how much it sucks vs ether.

I was wondering if anyone has managed to make the jump on the Ice Slide to reach the mountain peak. No matter what I do I fall in the top lake and done even come close to reaching the ledge above it. Can you actually make the jump or did I spend 30 minutes on something futile that you can reach elsewhere/later on?

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Samurai Sanders posted:

How on earth does this game let you fast travel INSTANTLY, without even a split second of loading time? I have never seen anything like it.

Seriously? God drat these guys are good programmers.

Why don't I have this game yet? :(

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Ledneh posted:

When travelling is there any easy way to see which mobs I see on the way are for quests, short of memorizing the log / checking it frequently?

Anyone?

While I'm asking questions, when fast traveling, to go between zones do you basically have to go to the edge of the current zone, walk over, repeat until at your destination, or is there something in the controls I'm missing?

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Ledneh posted:

Anyone?

While I'm asking questions, when fast traveling, to go between zones do you basically have to go to the edge of the current zone, walk over, repeat until at your destination, or is there something in the controls I'm missing?

I'm playing on Dolphin so I don't remember the Wii controls, but open the menu (Y, maybe?) that has inventory, arts, etc and go all the way to the left. It's fast travel between zones, whereas the fast travel with - is between landmarks in the current area.

Alris
Apr 20, 2007

Welcome to the Fantasy Zone!

Get ready!

Evil Fluffy posted:

I was wondering if anyone has managed to make the jump on the Ice Slide to reach the mountain peak. No matter what I do I fall in the top lake and done even come close to reaching the ledge above it. Can you actually make the jump or did I spend 30 minutes on something futile that you can reach elsewhere/later on?

If it's the one I am thinking of it can be done, but not without some movement speed enhancing gear/gems.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Sankis posted:

I'm playing on Dolphin so I don't remember the Wii controls, but open the menu (Y, maybe?) that has inventory, arts, etc and go all the way to the left. It's fast travel between zones, whereas the fast travel with - is between landmarks in the current area.

Score, thanks. :)

Also, wtf at gem crafting what is even going on here :pwn:

(edit) Also also, I know later I won't have to have Shulk in the party. Will I still be able to get the precognition events in battles if he's not fighting?

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Apr 14, 2012

Alris
Apr 20, 2007

Welcome to the Fantasy Zone!

Get ready!
Yes, and you can warn other people to take action to prevent/minimize damage as normal, but obviously without Shulk you won't be able to use Monado abilities to do the same.

That Rough Beast
Apr 5, 2006
One day at a time...

Evil Fluffy posted:

Yes, you can do it. I forget how exactly I pulled it off. There's a fast travel landmark there, so at least you only have to do it once. If you're really struggling you should know that it doesn't really matter, the area's used for an optional sidequest and nothing else.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Alris posted:

If it's the one I am thinking of it can be done, but not without some movement speed enhancing gear/gems.

I didn't think about those at all. Assuming you're referring to the one I am (I can't think of any others) I'll have to grab some of those and see how it goes. All the speed you need comes from the 2nd area since right? It doesn't seem like you can keep speed from the first and not die on impact at the 2nd.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Evil Fluffy posted:

To echo what everyone else has said, yea you need to use +movement speed gems or skills. I don't remember who I used, but I swapped to a char who had +movement skills and gave them a mid level movement speed gem I had laying around. Made the jump first try.

edit: ok so I am bad at jumping. I guess you can make it without gems. Or just use some movement speed gems and save yourself the trouble.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Apr 14, 2012

Violently Car
Dec 2, 2007

You are now entering completely darkness
I made that jump without movement speed gems. It's pretty tricky, but it's doable.

randomcommoner
Sep 6, 2006
it's a-me

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

To echo what everyone else has said, yea you need to use +movement speed gems or skills. I don't remember who I used, but I swapped to a char who had +movement skills and gave them a mid level movement speed gem I had laying around. Made the jump first try.
I made it in like my thirtiest try without gems, wish I had thought of that.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

No you don't. You just have to jump at pretty much exactly the right time. Once you get the timing down, you'll be able to always make the jump. I had 0 issues with it once I knew where to jump.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zonar
Jan 4, 2012

That was a BAD business decision!
I can confirm that the issue is timing; once or twice, I had Melia jump and get caught on the middle of the ledge, which means that she kept going until she went under it at not half-bad speeds :toot: I wonder if Riki'd have an easy time of it, given his proportions?

Xenoblade's physics are the most important physics.

• Locked thread