Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

There's an error in the OP where you imply Resonance of Fate was a bad game and not the best JRPG of this generation and last. :colbert:

Haven't played xenosaga yet though. I'm considering it. Watched the Giantbomb quicklook and wasn't 100% sold.
How complicated do the fights get? My big worry is from a strategic point of view, that the fights could only get but so complicated when you only have access to one of the characters during a battle.

Also what's the leveling system like? I suppose it's to much to hope it could be on th ecustomization levels of the FFX sphere grid or FFXII lisence system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

LibbyM posted:

There's an error in the OP where you imply Resonance of Fate was a bad game and not the best JRPG of this generation and last. :colbert:

Haven't played xenosaga yet though. I'm considering it. Watched the Giantbomb quicklook and wasn't 100% sold.
How complicated do the fights get? My big worry is from a strategic point of view, that the fights could only get but so complicated when you only have access to one of the characters during a battle.

Also what's the leveling system like? I suppose it's to much to hope it could be on th ecustomization levels of the FFX sphere grid or FFXII lisence system.

The fights are kind of straight forward, at least in the beginning, but there is some strategy. For example, early on you will fight an enemy that only takes damage when it's laying down. To get it there, your teammate must Topple it (get it to lie down), but before you can topple it, the character you're controlling must Break it. Combat kind of moves like that: you choose a skill that will set off a chain reaction (and there is a whole other Chain Attack process you completely control across all characters) that the AI is decent at picking up what you're trying to do and will cooperate.

You can level up Arts (skills, magic, etc.) as you see fit using Action Points earned in fights. You can also link and share Arts between characters once you have enough resources.

Not to mention that every piece of armor (head, weapon, body, arms, feet) have equipment that you can choose to supplement your own personal choices of stats but also alters character's appearances in real time and cutscenes.

I don't think this game is lacking in customization and strategy.

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost
I think swearing off JRPGs has resensitized me to this but why the poo poo is Shulk wearing a goofy vest and anime jorts?

Still, the gameplay strikes me as great once it all unlocks, I'm optimistic to see how this plays out.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Bastard Tetris posted:

I think swearing off JRPGs has resensitized me to this but why the poo poo is Shulk wearing a goofy vest and anime jorts?

Still, the gameplay strikes me as great once it all unlocks, I'm optimistic to see how this plays out.

It doesn't take long before you equip armor that takes those things away.

Spincut
Jan 14, 2008

Oh! OSHA gonna make you serve time!
'Cause you an occupational hazard tonight.
Two things:

First, I discovered that since armor changes the appearance of your character, you can also unequip armor for naked cockney action.

Second, I found an armor set that basically makes Shulk look like he's just wearing swimming trunks.

Personal game of the year? Hell yes.

Also beating the hell out of monsters while wearing little more than boxers and boots is badass.

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost
I just did this to beat the poo poo out of random wildlife for their valuable parts and I'm sold.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

OmegaZultan posted:

Is there something that dictates what collectible i will get from a blue orbs in regards to where I am on a field/dungeon, or is it any collectible can appear from any blue orb?

Any collectible will appear anywhere. That said, I personally found that there always seemed to be 1 or 2 that had specific spots they liked to pop up.

If you're doing sidequests. This WILL get loving infuriating late game.

FruitPunchSamurai
Oct 20, 2010

Does it get harder to get over-leveled later in the game? So far I'm really liking it, but just doing some sidequests made me practically invincible for the whole first area which kinda sucks. I don't want to skip sidequests just to make the game more challenging. I guess that was Monolith's solution to grinding.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

I just got utterly murdered by a tiny fish. :staredog:

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Was this release redone at all, or is it just a rehashed version of the EU localization? I want an excuse to play it again.

FruitPunchSamurai posted:

Does it get harder to get over-leveled later in the game? So far I'm really liking it, but just doing some sidequests made me practically invincible for the whole first area which kinda sucks. I don't want to skip sidequests just to make the game more challenging. I guess that was Monolith's solution to grinding.

For the first half of the game, you generally out-level stuff by a fair margin if you do a lot of quests, but later on you'll catch up. You'll actually be a few behind unless you do like literally everything.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
So is there lots of content for new game+?

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

BabyRyoga posted:

Was this release redone at all, or is it just a rehashed version of the EU localization? I want an excuse to play it again.

Given that the subtitles still use British spellings ("Defence Force", for example), it's probably the latter.

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

I'll give you a definite maybe.

Zereth posted:

I just got utterly murdered by a tiny fish. :staredog:

I just had the same. They came outta nowhere man!

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

The Black Stones posted:

Any collectible will appear anywhere. That said, I personally found that there always seemed to be 1 or 2 that had specific spots they liked to pop up.

If you're doing sidequests. This WILL get loving infuriating late game.

Every spot that spawns blue orbs has a set of up to eight different collectibles that can appear there. The list is fixed for every spawn point, and every entry has a certain probability of spawning.
Given that there's usually more than eight collectibles to be found in one area... Yeah, you might have to search a bit for the rarer stuff. Not everything can spawn everywhere. Some blue orbs even only appear at a certain time of day.

There is a spread sheet with data extracted from the game that lists every possible spawn point here (SPOILERS for Locations!), which won't be of much help though unless you find a way to read the game's map coordinates or find maps with coordinates on the web somewhere.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I'm going to need a new TV. :(

You'd think something as game-wrecking as the text problem with old televisions would have been mentioned sooner.

GRINK HELCH
Oct 24, 2004
My God, it's taking over america!
So far I find the game good - Great? That I'm not so sure. I find some of the combat mechanics (so far) to be convoluted. While fighting the mechons I break them and Reyn won't bother to finish with the topple. So I'll break four or five times before it actually triggers. That being said, the combat is a lot of fun.

But my biggest is complaint is no one will shut the gently caress up. Please... please... someone shut up during combat. Every swing, miss, kill, sigh, dust particle requires commentary. I'm enjoying myself so far, but I'm not sure if I get all the hype.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

moths posted:

I'm going to need a new TV. :(

You'd think something as game-wrecking as the text problem with old televisions would have been mentioned sooner.

Are you using component cables? If not that should fix things unless your tv is extremely old.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Soul Glo posted:

I don't think this game is lacking in customization and strategy.

This is only partly true. Once you discover the optimal use of chain attacks (which the game intentionally tries to distract from) almost every encounter in the game becomes trivial as long as you're not 5 levels below the opposition.

zonar
Jan 4, 2012

That was a BAD business decision!
Sometimes, the AI can be a bit dumb (fighting Mechon when not controlling Shulk can take a while sometimes), but it's relatively robust for what it is. If Reyn's getting distracted by other enemies, keep in mind that you can direct them to focus on one enemy (Z+D-Pad-Down on the Wiimote+Nunchuk).

I've been stopping-starting this since I reached the snowy area, and now I'm chillin' on the beach, might need to just dive into it and rush to the end before my exams start.

Bleusilences
Jun 23, 2004

Be careful for what you wish for.

It`s kinda like playing FF12, except you are in control of one character and the A.I. is pretty good.

Latte Lottie
Oct 6, 2011

Getting 1st place is impossible...

GRINK HELCH posted:

But my biggest is complaint is no one will shut the gently caress up. Please... please... someone shut up during combat. Every swing, miss, kill, sigh, dust particle requires commentary. I'm enjoying myself so far, but I'm not sure if I get all the hype.

Could switch it to Japanese, just sounds like they are yelling and the repetition isn't nearly as bad since you have no clue what they are saying. Of course then you have to hear the story in Japanese so that might ruin the whole idea.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Got this game yesterday and spent all day playing it. I'm 9 hours in and only just left the starting town. Holy hell. Granted that's just because I am easily distracted by shiny objects, and I'm not complaining at all.

I'm getting the hang of the combat too. Also, the voice acting is so British, it hurts. :allears:

Loving it so far, looking forward to playing it again today!

deepshock
Sep 26, 2008

Poor zombies never stood a chance.
I'm actually not skipping events left and right even though I could. This is a -very good thing-. :dance:

That and this game wasted no time whatsoever getting interesting. It got good around the first minute or so.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

It helps that the games plot seems to never stop escalating in awesomeness and the cutscenes are fantastically crafted.

Yar The Pirate
Feb 19, 2012
So, for anyone who ordered through Nintendo, did you get a confirmation email that it was shipping or something yesterday? I tried to track my order through the link given to me by Nintendo but that link only applied to parts or repairs and my order number never worked for either.

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010

Silver Falcon posted:

Got this game yesterday and spent all day playing it. I'm 9 hours in and only just left the starting town. Holy hell. Granted that's just because I am easily distracted by shiny objects, and I'm not complaining at all.

I'm in the same boat as you. :allears: I'm so glad my lunch plans today got cancelled!

I'm able to get so immersed while playing. I collect all the side quests like was mentioned but I don't necessarily do all of them. I kill whatever monsters I feel like (If I haven't killed one before, it's going down, if possible!) and I love running around to explore, and by doing this a good amount of sidequests get done anyway. I feel like the amount of loot I get is just enough that I'm upgrading now and then, but not so much that I'm trapped in my inventory all the time.

After leaving Colony 9 the game lets you know the scale of the world you're in, and it's loving awe inspiring. I wonder if you actually explore every part. :allears:

Genius!
Jan 8, 2006
I ordered through Nintendo.com and you have to put your order number into the section "Part Order Information" and then enter your zip code afterwards. It links me to a page saying I ordered it 3/18 and that they're still preparing my order :(

I'm hoping this is false and I'll magically have the game appear at my doorstep today.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY
Pretty sure Nintendo Shop orders aren't shipping until the end of the month.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
Five and a half hours in, and I was flabberghasted when Fiora died. I mean, that just doesn't happen in a JRPG!

Also, auto completing quests is single greatest improvement Xenoblade brings to the genre.

Alabama Blacksnake
Aug 9, 2005

But it ain't too goddamned beaucoup.

SpacePig posted:

Their website said that they planned to begin shipping orders on April 6th, or something along those lines.

Whether or not we actually get our orders before the end of the month is another matter, I guess.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Just picked up the game yesterday. I didn't preorder but stopped by my local gamestop on the way home. They had seven copies. Five were preorders. I think this bodes well for the game. I live in Boise, Idaho and have 6 gamestops within 10 minutes of me. Five preorders at the smallest of the gamestops is a pretty decent number for a town like this, eh?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

This didn't come across as well in the LP, but man, the boss fight music, like what you hear in the prologue as Dunban and Co Vs Giant Robots? metal as hell :rock:

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

I think the Unique Monster battle music is more metal but yeah the boss music is pretty great. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1K9xe39zWLY

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011

SpacePig posted:

Mines shipped yesterday but as Alabama Blacksnake said I doubt i'll be getting it any time soon this month.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Unfinished Battle is one of the best tracks in the sound track even though is not metal.

You might not want to listen to it if you dont want your ears spoiled because it plays during a pretty powerful scene.

CommaToes
Dec 15, 2006

Ecce Buffo
I bought this game soley on the previous thread title. Let's see if Louisgod was lying.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
Picked up my pre-order from my local EB games on the fifth, flipped through the (pretty drat nice) art book, and have then been ruined by real life rearing it's ugly head. I just want to nerd out for a few hours! :(

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Picked this up at noon, played until 3am (with breaks) and up to around 12:30 playtime, stopped when I got Dunban (extra text to make spoiler bigger) and The only issues I've had so far are the load times in menus and when you loot anything, as well as the fairly unhelpful means of finding specific enemies at times. The loot thing's the worst though. It might only be a second or 2, but when you're doing it for every single chest it's like a fly buzzing around that you just can't hit.

That stupid Sky Stage jerk, all I remember is being told something about 6 hours (window it appears?) when I got the quest but I can't find any way to go back and review that kind of info.

A minor pet peeve is that a few levels, at least up to the point I've reached, makes such a huge deal when hitting enemies. Found a unique enemy that was level 29 when I was 25 and figured "ok my current team bulldozes unique enemies their level, maybe this will be hard but doable" only to find out that my characters were missing on about 60% of their attacks, making topple/stun pretty much impossible. Even with some gear/gems giving and extra 10+ agility to people. :argh:

Also picked up a black classic controller pro and it was easily worth it. Tried the wiimote and nunchuck briefly but the classic controller's more than worth :20bux: for the better gameplay it lets you have. People weren't kidding when they said the Artbook was pretty bad. I didn't expect it to be something on par with the Guild Wars 2 artbook given out a few years back at PAX, but this thing's like a convention program made with thicker paper. I endedup getting the last artbook they had too. Apparently you were supposed to get it when you pre-ordered or something? Would've liked the red controller the UK release had though.

Between buying this, putting $50 on WL2 and $60 on Shadowrun kickstarters I need to not put money in video games for a little while.

Killing unique enemies is a must for anyone who hasn't made it a point to do so. There a level 17-18 one I found early on by air defense battery 1 at night and went back there around level 20-21 to beat it. Thing was harder than some unique enemies 3-4 levels higher than it but it dropped a Tanker Blocker(?) for Reyn and the weapon is still the best thing I've seen for him by a good amount. Not only did it give an extra 70-80 or so damage over the Jaugar he had on earlier, but it gave an outright silly amount of defðer def. Combined with stuff like the Empress armor I'd found he's nearing 350 def (ether def is pretty bad due to heavy armor stats though).

Has anyone had money issues yet? It might be due to completing so many quests, but I literally have only sold/traded a dozen collectibles at most and the common enemy drops and have bought anything I wanted without issue. If I sold all my extra drops/collectables I'd probably get an extra 150-200k but I'd have no use for it.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
I got my copy in the mail today, and although I've only played through the prologue so far, it's a really interesting game. I was not expecting the battle system to be like that; it's almost like one of the old Bioware RPGs than a Japanese sort of system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Evil Fluffy posted:

Has anyone had money issues yet? It might be due to completing so many quests, but I literally have only sold/traded a dozen collectibles at most and the common enemy drops and have bought anything I wanted without issue. If I sold all my extra drops/collectables I'd probably get an extra 150-200k but I'd have no use for it.

Money is pretty much a non-issue in the game. Early on when you need to buy skill books you need to use some, but late game you'll have so much cash that you could probably buy Colony 9.

• Locked thread