Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Death By Yogurt posted:

There's a mistake in the OP. Everyone knows that Riki is the main protagonist and everyone else is his sidekick.

Xenoblade Chronicles is Reyn's story.

Also, didn't see it mentioned in the OP, but the game's soundtrack is wonderful. This track in particular has become my new study music. Though some of the battle music is fantastic as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
If anyone is interested in goon testimonials, my review for the game went online this morning: http://trendygamers.com/2012/04/05/xenoblade-chronicles-review/

In short, I say it's amazing and that you should buy it as soon as humanly possible.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Louisgod posted:

Dduuuuuuuuuurrr. Useless idiots. Let's REVIEW a game we haven't finished. May as well rename yourself to IGN. I'd wager they're like 40% of the way through if they've completed "quite a few of the side quests".

Really though, I have no idea what they're looking for since Xenoblade bucks so many JRPG staples and cliches: inns, items, mana, potions, save points, random battles.. essentially every generic JRPG motif has been removed.

I have no idea what games they've been playing in order to come to that opinion of Xenoblade. Only a few hours into the game I knew I was playing something special. I'm a little surprised that he considers it "just another RPG."

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Rotten Red Rod posted:

I don't see why you guys are making so much of that Kotaku review. What about Kotaku sets it above other gaming sites that you need to react badly to its review? And is the game really so fragile that one "very good, not amazing" review is going to destroy it or something?

It's the internet. Are you suggesting that we SHOULDN'T fuss over things like this?

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Overbite posted:

Kotaku guy hates Riki, that's our problem.

I was all primed to hate Riki, but I found myself liking him and his whole race. I thought it was pretty funny that he turned out to be (minor spoiler)40-years-old, with like six or seven kids. He's also a great damage sponge in battle, as he has a metric tonne of health.

Also, I vote that this image should be in the OP. EDIT: (Warning: it's a Xenoblade-related image macro, so don't click if you hate macros)

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

MrChupon posted:

Could somebody translate this tip from the OP to English for me?

1) Enemies drop items when you kill them. Besides dropping equipment, like armour and weapons, they drop items that relate to what they are (i.e. Mechon drop robot parts, insects drop carapaces and antennae, mammals drop furs and skins, etc.)

2) It is a good idea to keep said items, because they are often used in quests--so you're saving yourself time by holding onto them.

3) Despite having a lot of inventory space, there are tonnes of items in the game and you will probably find yourself running out of storage space. These items are categorized visually as "Small Bags," which are less valuable, and "Large Bags," which are more valuable. If you have a stack of two "Broken Antennae," which are small bag items, you might as well sell them. If you have a stack of, say, 40 "Broken Antennae," they may be worth holding onto (I disagree, but that seems to be what the tip is suggesting--I'd sell them anyways). If you have a stack of one or two large bag items, you could sell those as well, as one or two of a large bag item, though more valuable than small bag items, isn't a big loss.

Personally, whenever I've run out of room I just sell off all of my small bag items. Most of them say in their description that they're useless anyways, so it's a way to make quick cash.

EDIT: also, sidequests are completely optional and tend to boil down to "collect x of y" or "kill x of y."

Sally fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Apr 6, 2012

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Zereth posted:

Does anybody have any non-spoilery tips for starting out?

Read the hints and tips that pop up early on. There's a number of subtle things that go on, especially in combat, that are good to know and aren't immediately obvious.

Also, don't stress if you can't kill every enemy in an area before moving on--come back later or wait for New Game +. There are level 90+ creatures in just about every area.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

The Black Stones posted:

I think during some Boss battle's. Otherwise, no.

Also HOW COULD YOU GUYS GET SICK OF REYN TIME? I always know what time it is now!

<------LET'S NOT LOSE OUR HEADS!

EDIT: What a bunch of jokers!

EDIT: EDIT:
Reyn: "You can't make a rainbow with out Reyn!"
Melia: "Dunban you need to talk to Reyn"
Dunban: "Let's just pretend it didn't happen."

Sally fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Apr 8, 2012

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Chaltab posted:

Ssssh!, you don't find Jesus until Chapter Six.

It never really becomes relevant, but it changes based on who you have in the party and how well they like each other (I think).

Yes, different party members say different things to each other. And while I have no way to accurately confirm this, it seems that their dialogue changes with their affinity.

For example, after having Sharla and Reyn in my party for a while, Reyn started calling out to her, asking if she saw "that sweet move" he just pulled off. Poor Reyn, Sharla never notices.

I don't mind the constant shouting, as it does seem to serve a purpose. I don't often notice when a player is feeling unmotivated, so its a good indicator to help them when they're in danger. However, there's so much going on that the voices all seem to fight over one another, which is the annoying part.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

That Rough Beast posted:

As for characters and using them in battle, for me, they were basically split into three tiers. No storyline spoilers, and I'm even going to be vague on the character names, but just in case you prefer to figure out the mechanics yourself:

~~~Dunban~~~ is a blast to play, as he's super powerful and his moves are a little more involved than other players. Only problem is, he's a bit of a glass cannon. I'm always hesitant to have him aggro, as he can't take many hits.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

randomcommoner posted:

He's an avoidance tank, pump his agility to the cap (50) and use his avoidance aura if you need to and he won't get hit. I basically ran him + Riki + 7th/Shulk/Melia and killed all end bosses with that setup at a normal level, hell I ended using peerless only since he can only have an aura active and it has a very low cooldown at high levels (plus it draws aggro on use), I was running with serene heart too but I ended up forgetting about it so I just switched it off in favor of another attack.

I'll have to do this on New Game +. I kind of rushed through most of my first play-through, and didn't experiment too much with stats. Every gem Strength Up and I just brute forced my way through (Sharla in my party all the time, as I was in constant need of a medic).

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Xenix posted:

The best is where you're using Reyn/Sharla/Dunban and Reyn wants Dunban to let him know how he did in combat. Dunban tells him his skills were amateurish (as is his wont), and Sharla laughs and repeats it. I don't know why, but that's my most favorite post-combat dialogue in the game.

Yes! I laughed at that exchange. Reyn's final comment sealed the deal:

Reyn: So, how was I that fight?
Dunban: Amateurish.
Sharla: Yes, amateurish.
Reyn: Aw man! And after all my training...

MEET ME BY DUCKS posted:

For those of you far enough to have six characters, is there a viable boss-fight party configuration that isn't Shulk/Reyn/Sharla? Shulk seems necessary for the Monado, Reyn is the only one beefy enough to survive boss damage, and Sharla is needed for her healing output. Trying to swap any of them out hasn't been successful.

I'm trying to set Dunban up to tank, as he's clearly also intended for it, but he takes too much damage. Is there some particular strategy to setting him up as a dodge tank capable of replacing Reyn? I figure good dodge-tanking would also let me swap out Sharla.

Shulk is pretty much useless against human bosses for a while, you know, cause the Monado can't hurt people: he only does 1 damage. Dunban is a sweet lead character, cause his attacks cool-down quickly and are a little more involved than other characters, requiring you to chain his skills in specific orders, or timing button presses. According to everyone, if you pump up his AGI stat, he's able to dodge most attacks.

If you need a healer, Sharla is indispensable when controlled by AI. Melia and Riki seem to need to be controlled by you to be effective. I found Riki was a pretty solid tank as well, cause he has tonnes of HP, but as he doesn't seem to aggro very well, you need a main character than has de-aggro skills.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Evil Fluffy posted:

I haven't seen this mentioned yet but it's worth noting that if your main character is being targeted by an enemy that's charging up an attack, especially one that triggered the monado option, you can run away and once you get enough distance it makes them enemy give up on the attack, so they basically stood there taking shots for no reason. It might be a bug that lets this trick work but when an enemy is chaining 4-6k+ damage skills one after another it was pretty much the only way I as able to beat that guy the first time. I found that out in the Marsh when doing the Giant's Treasure quests (do these, if for no other reason than the XP the last 2 quests in the chain give you is huge).

I don't think this constitutes as a spoiler, as it's just combat mechanics. In my experience, if you run away after an enemy has charged up an attack, they just change targeting and hit a party member in range.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Daynab posted:

Speaking of sidequests, what did someone mean by unlocking trait lines? Did you mean skilltrees? is there more than 3 for each character?

I believe there are two additional ones that can be unlocked doing sidequests.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Evil Fluffy posted:

No they don't. When I do this it simply makes them drop the skill entirely as if they were reset without combat ending. It's very apparent when Shulk's targeted with a skill that'd still nearly kill Reyn from full HP and will 1-shot everyone else. Instead of someone dying the enemy just does a normal attack or switches to another skill and the timer starts over.

Wait, are we talking about the same thing? I'm not so sure anymore.

I'm under the impression that you're talking about what happens when the Monado "predicts" an enemy attack that will kill or seriously injure a player. In which case, you get a vision, a countdown bar appears at the top of the screen with a description of the attack, and it displays a portrait of which character is targeted.

If this is indeed the case, then, in my experience, moving out of range merely causes the enemy to target another ally within range--and the timer never resets, it continues to count down from where it left off. So if I'm playing as Shulk with Reyn and Sharla, it often boils down to this: Shulk is targeted with an attack that will kill him --> Shulk backs out of range --> (a) enemy targets Reyn --> Reyn usually has enough HP to absorb the hit, or can block it --> or (b) enemy targets Sharla --> Sharla likely dies because she can't take the hit.

Can anyone else weigh in on this? I'm curious as to how this plays out for other people.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

SirLarr posted:

Hey I reviewed this game too!

It's really loving good.

Good review! One complaint: it's spelt "Collectopaedia."

Also, the boss in the mines, Xord ain't nothing. EDIT: though his voice actor is great and he's one of my favourite villains; he's just so comically evil. He went down like a chump. I had more trouble with the on-foot Mumkhar battle on Zakar Mountain.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

U-DO Burger posted:

Did you completely zone out during the cutscenes before you went to Valak? The shackles have been broken, so the Monado can damage anything now. And the boss has Mechon armor, so it makes sense that you'd need Monado Enchant or ether attacks.

I was really happy when this happened. I struggled with the boss fight in the High Entia Tomb, as Shulk wasn't able to dish out any damage to Tyrea.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Evil Fluffy posted:

I finished that last night and had the opposite situation because I got rid of shulk for Dunban, who outright butchered Tyrea since between the 75% haste using a weapon with 25% double attack, and his special skill combo, was a buzzsaw. I had to wait probably 5-10 minutes for the Telethia's stupid aura to go away though and only hit about 2-3% of the time while it was up. As soon as the aura went down the Telthia went from 50% to 0% hp in less than a minute. I was level 41 at that point so I was at zero risk the entire time. Exploration really is killing the challenge at this rate since I'm getting in to a 3-4 level advantage over stuff. :sigh:

Yeah, I hadn't done much questing at that point, so I was under-leveled. Shulk was a big help against the Telethia, so I targeted it first. Barely survived, but afterwards I was able to concentrate on Tyrea and just use Shulk's Monado buffs to help everyone else.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Just to note, if anyone is getting overwhelmed by the amount of sidequests, or is finding the game too easy because the sidequest rewards are leaving them too well-equipped or over-leveled, don't be afraid to ignore them. It makes the game more challenging.

Furthermore, the game has a new New Game + option, and it's a perfect opportunity to just relax and explore the gently caress out of these dead gods.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Calaveron posted:

Remind me again, what is that?

Spoiler: It's the wreckage of Metal Face, isn't it? In the Japanese version, he was called Black Face. They changed it for the English release to avoid the obvious racist associations, so the wreckage should be called "Metal Wreckage." Though that's still kind of stupid, because any wreckage is technically a metal wreckage.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Allan Assiduity posted:

To be fair[...]

True. I never understood why Xord got a name but Metal Face didn't.

C-Euro posted:

[...]Especially because the story has really hooked me, having just gotten past where (first area spoiler) the Mechon rolled into town and slaughtered everyone, including poor Fiora. That bummed me out to an unreasonable degree but the savvy gamer in me says she wouldn't have all these official art bits, full skill trees, and equipment options if she was gone for good...right?

It's not like a precedent already exists...

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Violently Car posted:

Ummm, yes he did. It's Mumkhar.

Not what we're talking about. Why do the villains refer to Xord as Xord and Mumkhar as Metal Face? As Allan Assiduity pointed out, it makes sense for the HEROES to call the Faced Mechons by these names (i.e. Bronze Face, Jade Face, Gold Face, etc.) cause they don't know what the vehicles are called, but it gets silly when the villains call each other by those names as well. I mean, I know they wanted to keep Mumkhar's identity a secret for the big reveal, but Egil's Mechon had a proper name: Yaldabaoth. Anyways, it's a minor complaint.

EDIT: Uh, looking over my previous post, I realize I wasn't being clear. I totally understand why Xord used his name, but Mumkhar didn't. I guess I'm just puzzled as to why he would adopt Metal Face, the identifier that the heroes refer to him as, rather than some sweet born-again Mechon name.

Sally fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Apr 12, 2012

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Tupperwarez posted:

Honestly, I think Mumkhar would be just the kind of person who would throw away their own name just to gain more power. They weren't exactly the most stable of people to begin with.

I dunno. I mean, I understand why people who had their memories wiped wouldn't really bother (like Jade Face's pilot), but Mumkhar seems pretty arrogant. You think he'd give himself some really cool-sounding name so people would think he's a badass, or something.

Also, fun Xord spoiler: Talk to Desiree in Colony 9 after killing him.Turns out Xord was her father.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

PurplieNurplie posted:

Yeah, but I don't think I can run past it once it de-aggros and beat it to the shinies. I'll give it a shot, though.

I'm pretty sure there are gems that increase your stealth. Though... I'm not sure if they decrease your aggro just in battle or in the field as well.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Louisgod posted:

Most of the time with armor it makes sense to go with weaker sets that have more gem slots than those that don't, so relying exclusively on the BLUE NUMBERS GOOD mentality isn't always the best course of action.

Furthermore, sometimes the armour with the best stats look terrible on your character. So you often have to sacrifice your stats in order to properly accessorize and look like a badass.

Yes, I do this. :colbert:

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

evilalien posted:

Anywhere inside the circle is a success, but you are aiming for the outside edge for perfect timing. I'm not sure that perfect timing matters at all for chain attacks, but when the prompt comes up in the middle of battle, perfect timing will get you more affinity between party members.

If you're playing as Dunban, I'm pretty sure that perfect timing on all the circles makes his special Art do more damage.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Wildtortilla posted:

I've been playing with the Wiimote + Nunchuck cause I haven't used my Wii in three years and didn't think buying a classic controller for one game would be worth it... should I reconsider that decision? With the classic controller do you have to hold a button to pan the camera and/or change targets in battle? When I want to spin the camera in battle, I almost always hold Z (change target) instead of C (pan camera) and end up switching targets and spreading my damage too thin and getting my rear end kicked.

Classic controllers are pretty rad. You change targets with the shoulder buttons, control camera zoom/party battle movements with the other shoulder buttons, and control the camera with the right joystick.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

NTT posted:

Alright, so I've done well so far against most of the bosses, dying a few times each to Arachno Queen, the Hangar Guards, and Xord. Especially Xord. gently caress him.

However, I'm stuck at the daddy Telethia, and there's just no way that it's 5 levels higher than me. Where was I supposed to get 4 more levels to kill this thing? Even for Xord I was only 1 level lower. Is it supposed to be level 36 when I'm only level 31? Ughhhhhh

Levels make a huge difference in this game. Go kill some things, or do some quests and you'll be fine.

However, I believe there IS an achievement for killing something 10 levels higher then you--it's just really hard.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Mazed posted:

Still, I could see getting burnt out on this game really quickly if I can't learn to occasionally ignore every '!' that pops up.

The game has a New Game + option. I recommend you take on less sidequests and leave some unexplored regions on the map in order to concentrate on the story. When your levels are closer to the enemy's fights are a little more harrowing and interesting. Furthermore, on NG+, you'll be able to explore at your leisure with all your unlocked arts, levels, and most items.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

That Rough Beast posted:

I'm advising you to be chill because believe me you in no way need the extra trees to be brutally effective. By the time you unlock them and fill them in you'll be like level 80 anyway and you will just demolish everything in your way no matter what skills you're rolling with.

I'd just save the skill tree stuff for New Game+ if you're finding it tedious - the advantage is minimal compared to everything else.

Yeah, I cannot stress this enough. Maybe this should be put in the OP, bold, in size 24 font, cause really, if you aren't careful you can drive yourself nuts trying to complete every sidequest right away. Really, you don't want to wear yourself out before you've beaten the game, so wait for New Game + to let yourself go all OCD--that way you'll still be able to experience all sorts of new things.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Yeah, they're ugly as sin. Gotta play the game for the fashion.

Just saw this recently:

For a second I got unreasonably excited because I thought it was an image of Mumkhar and thought, for just a moment, that they might be making a Xenoblade prequel spin-off where you play as Dunban, Mumkhar and Dickson at the Battle of Sword Valley or something. Turns out it's just a Darksiders 2 screenshot.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

HerraS posted:

Everyone but Dunban is a scrub. :dukedog:

Born in a world of strife!

Against the odds!

We choose to fight!

BLOSSOM DANCE!

As much as I love playing as Dunban, and I play as him most of the time, he's not nearly as quotable as some of the other characters. Unless, of course, he is calling someone "amateurish" or ignoring them for saying something stupid.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Wasn't Satorl Marsh the Bionis' "backside?" Sounds pretty suspect to me.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Samurai Sanders posted:

I mean, the only game like that I have played in years is Dark Souls anyway, so maybe that's not fair to say. Maybe it's not fair to compare any game to that one.

You're probably okay if you compare Demon's Souls to Dark Souls.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Firaga posted:

Whoever said this game is everything FF wants to be right now is totally right.

Everyone who has played this game and has an inkling of what modern Final Fantasys are like?

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Coughing Hobo posted:

One of Riki's heavy armor appearances is a literal ball of spikes.

Riki's heavy armours were the only one's I kind of liked because they were so awesome. Everyone else looked like a horrible cliche anime robot murder-machine.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Yeah, that one's a toughie. I recommend getting a few levels and trying again. Honestly, that's the simplest solution to most problems in the game. I believe you only need to get his health down to 1/3 anyways, so as long as you can hack it out until then you should be fine. So yeah, Sharla is a good choice. Riki has a decent heal move as well.

EDIT: also, Shulk's Monado arts should help a lot as well.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Safe and Secure! posted:

Which one was that? The one where you have to fight that one high entia woman and her big telethia?

That fight is not as hard if you don't have Shulk. If you do have him, you just have to remember that the Monado is useless against humanoid beings. At that point, anyways.

That one was a huge war of attrition for me because I forgot about that point. I was playing as Shulk so I spent most of the fight healing my team and letting them do all the work.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

theshim posted:

I also feel morally obligated at this juncture to point out that now it's Reyn time.

Now I feel obligated to post in this thread.

<--------

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Chronojam posted:

The game is pretty good about hinting, telling, and showing. That conversation is very missable, and easy to miss that connection if you weren't paying much attention during the fight. Don't worry, the specifics are given their due in good time.

Pretty much this. You just play more thoroughly than most people.

• Locked thread