Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
How many of the side quests have unique stories and rewards compared to how many involve collecting 10 buffalo asses?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

C-Euro posted:

Giant Bomb has a Quicklook up and I really want to watch it despite my self-imposed info embargo on this game. Should I watch it anyway?

My god, that was annoying. What is the point of walking around in circles while they talk?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
So is there lots of content for new game+?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
None of the side quests that unlock new skill trees are timed, right?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
How do people build Shulk? Once you stop fighting mechon, he just sort of sucks for everything but dealing with visions.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

C-Euro posted:

Dammit Desiree, I have 4 stars with Colony 9 give me the quest for the 4th skill tree already :argh:

Speaking of loose ends at Colony 9, has anyone been able to do Challenge 4 there? To kill Wallside Gwynry? The spreadsheet says to check the dead end east of Warehouse 2 in Tephra but I've been sitting there for a while now with no monsters showing up (apart from the little lizards that spawn there by default)

You probably killed it the first time before. Save and reload until it respawns.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

And whoever plays as Riki must speak like him over the mic or he'll refuse to do anything.

Question: My first time through, I kind of blew through the last town without doing any quests for it--if you do all the quests there, does it become revitalized like Egil wanted it to be? I remember the chief saying something along the lines of "he's trying to restore it to its former glory all by himself."

You get a key to unlock a tiny area at the top of the tower. It is only worth doing if you want to complete the map or enjoy the very nice view.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

wereboat posted:

As far as I can tell, visions only seem to come up if the attack will seriously mess you up, like killing a dude or doing 80% of his remaining hp. You might get a vidion for a boss punching Shulk for 3k hp and almost die, but the same attack on Reyn, with double Shulk's hp you won't. I also seem to recall getting statused would trigger a vision, but it's been awhile since I beat it.

When I fought the sniper face my other 2 members went after random mobs out in the open and died repeatedly, but I couldn't revive them alone. So, I ended up soloing stuff while very slowly building up the party gauge as Dunban, hiding behind a wall from the boss. I was constantly at low hp and as such, even regular attacks from the extra mobs caused visions. The boss' beam attacks kept getting visions too, which broke very quickly because I was staying behind a wall the whole time. So yeah, visions have nothing to do with the level of the attack- it is based entirely on how much damage they do vs. your current health.

(It probably would have been a lot easier to just die and restart the fight, but I don't like doing that.)

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
New game+ would be a lot more appealing if it didn't reset all of your quests, town affinities and colony 6 progress.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Vil posted:

Some additional merchants also show up for other upgrades or recruitment or something; I don't recall the details but I do recall that there were more merchants when the town was fully fleshed out than there were when it was "just" level 5 commerce.

That said, most of the best equipment comes from enemy drops, but upgraded C6 shops often have almost-best. (In Seven's case, I prefer the Speed IV armor from the C6 shop to the statisticaly superior Speed V armor, since both have Haste +45% and Speed IV doesn't make me feel embarrassed to play Seven.)

A lot of the last wave of merchants are only out during rather short time periods. The exact time is different for each of them.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Flying around Bionis in a mech would have been tits, though. It was often pretty hard to figure out how all the areas fit together.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Talk to everyone with a name at least once, do quests. A lot of quests only unlock with story progression and region affinity, so if you get stuck wandering around come back later or slavishly follow the wiki.

I ground out all of the region affinities once, but I would never do it a second time.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Dominic White posted:

I'd love to see a hack of Xenoblade someday that somehow fixes the problem of outlevelling content. There were SO many sidequests that I skipped because they involved barely more than breathing on an enemy to kill it.

There's already some HD texture projects, so an unofficial Xenoblade: HD Remix wouldn't be too improbable.

The problem is that anyone willing and able to finish a project like that is likely inclined to increase the difficulty in incredibly stupid ways.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

C-Euro posted:

Tell me your secrets, I just want this skill tree but I swear that I've completely strip-mined Colony 9 of quests. What else can I do?

Talk to everyone a few times. You can get a few points that way.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Sneaky.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I've never been a big fan of blank slate protagonists. This just means that everyone else will talk around your creepy, unexpressive mute while other characters carry the story. In those situations, the main character is anything but. Shulk wasn't exactly the most interesting character (he was probably the second least interesting in the party, after Sharla), but that he had a personality and motivations at all was still a step up from a blank slate.

I guess they could do it mass effect style, but how likely is that for a jrpg?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Chaltab posted:

I'm still trying to figure out what the hell the game is all about, what with Machina and Nopon being shown in the trailer and... the United States colony of Neo Los Angeles appearing in the gameplay.

The story set up pretty much precludes him having a best buddy. Elma finds him still asleep in a stasis pod and has to explain where and when he is. He seems to have been in stasis for a lot longer than the other humans.

Just because he comes in without relationships doesn't mean he couldn't form them as the game went on. It is entirely possible that he could have become best buds with someone. Well, if he wasn't a mute. Appearance select is fine, but voice select in an extensively voiced game is death for characterization. The gameplay looks great, but xenoblade was all about the setting and relationships. I'm reserving judgement on the setting, but I hope that the rest of the cast picks up the slack for the blank slate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

He was still a blank slate mute. Any characterization came from the anime. Silent protagonists are not good, popularity does not equal quality. I mean gently caress, you are saying that sales make for a good game in a xenoblade thread.

• Locked thread