Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
Tales of the Abyss? Disgaea?
PS2 really has quite a lot of competition for "most anime title" :keke:

For content, I'm setting an alarm tomorrow to pick this up from my store the minute it opens. This is the first console game I've bought in about a year, and the first new one in several (I got massively hooked on Steam and didn't look back). The last JRPG I played was, I think, FF12. Really I thought I was done with this whole thing but Louisgod has brought me back for one last hurrah. And so...

Abugadu posted:

YOU BETTER BE RIGHT LOUISGOD

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
I got home with the game a 10:30am and sat down and didn't stop until about 8pm. Then I went back to it for another couple hours later. They just do a fabulous job with keeping everything exciting and interesting and fast paced all the time.

A few questions though:

Is there a way to zoom the minimap? Inevitably whatever I am trying to get to, if it doesn't have a quest marker, is too far out to actually see it, and I have to keep loading the regular map repeatedly.

How are people that do tons of quests actually achieving this? Are you doing one quest at a time? I felt like the way to go was to run around accepting every quest from everyone and not really reading most of the text, but then I found that the summaries in the quest log are pretty crap at telling you where to go. Should I be doing one at once and actually reading that text? I don't see how you could keep track of it otherwise (or just gamefaqing every quest, if that info is even out there).

Relatedly, there's no way to set a quest marker for a sidequest is there? I just don't see how there's enough info to really complete many of them efficiently.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
Yes, the right stick is free camera control all the time.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
This gamefaqs walkthrough seems to be complete and thorough about giving a short description of "go to place x at time y" for each quest. Maybe I'll try that. I have no wish to do EVERY QUEST but having full pages of stuff not done kind of bothers me and wandering around colony 9 hoping to stumble onto a red ! is annoying.
http://db.gamefaqs.com/console/wii/file/xenoblade_chronicles.txt

Re: the killer fish, do you have enemy markers turned on? Not that stuff can't still sneak up behind you that way, but at least enemies that are way too hard for you will have red dots floating around their heads.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys

Chaltab posted:

Pretty much. I tend to use Sharla's shield bullet more often than I do Monado Shield.

Outside of chains, and "warning" someone about an incoming attack, is there some way to tell one of the other characters to use a particular skill? Or are you just switching between playing these two as your main chracters?

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
Having just got a fourth character, is experience shared? All types of it? Do I have to keep switching people in/out to prevent someone from getting too far behind in anything or it's fine? I get that affinity points are difficult otherwise, but I don't know about the other stuff.

tomguycot posted:

Also, for those of you having trouble with quests. I am pretty sure that someone on the gamefaqs message board has posted a question about every single side quest in the game so I've just googled the quest that I'm having trouble with each time I've gotten stumped and every time a gamefaqs thread with the answer has come up within the first 2 or 3 results. Very handy when you're stumped because there are definitely a few quests that are tricky to complete particularly some that require finding a unique monster at a very specific spot during a certain weather condition.

Yeah, this is what I've been doing, as that FAQ is really not specific enough, and sometimes fully incorrect. Hopefully later in the game the the ability to do this doesn't die off as less people have gotten there.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys

NESguerilla posted:

Does anyone know how long Gamestop holds preorders? My roomate preordered this and ended up in the hospital so he might not be able to pick it up for a week or so.

I think I remember reading it's 48 hours. I'm almost certain it's not more than that. It's not going to be there next week.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
Wow, every time I get to a new area it's somehow just as interesting and pretty as the ones before it. I made it to the jungle and frontier village and once again it's like "wow that background is cool" and then you actually up up to it and find out it wasn't just a background.

From the way people talk about Frontier Village I expected to find a hundred quest !'s as soon as I got there but I'm on my way out and there are like 3? :confused:

[edit] Oh, I walked around again and found a few more.
[edit2] Every time I walk around there are more. Now I get it.

ChibiSoma posted:

The worst part was peeking into the thread to see if anyone else had gotten word from Nintendo yet and trying to not actually read anything that was clearly related to the game itself. I want to go in as blind as I can.

Since I know Nintendo's started the first round of shipments, time to wait it out until I've had a chance to play it. Hopefully it does not take two weeks to arrive.

You may have more luck in the other thread that's specifically for that type of chatter and no spoilers. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3468236

Lakitu7 fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Apr 9, 2012

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
Yes. Press up/down from the talent art spot that would normally be "begin battle" in that situation.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys

Grozz Nuy posted:

Also, can you move socketed gems between equipment without destroying them? I hate it when RPGs do that because I always end up hoarding them.

I don't know about the other questions, but yes, move gems around all you want.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys

Calaveron posted:

They don't, but they expire when you're 80 or 90% done with the game.

Louisgod posted:

From what I remember, once they're gone they're gone, so do them as soon as you can because the point of no return for those quests comes up pretty quickly after you leave that area.

These two answers seem to contradict each other?

This FAQ http://www.gamefaqs.com/wii/960564-xenoblade-chronicles/faqs/62899 seems to suggest it's not until near the end.

Lakitu7 fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Apr 11, 2012

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
Assuming it doesn't happen *again* in some place later than I am, she's back in like 30-60 minutes and then sticks around.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
I guess you could go in with extra-crappy equipment?

When you're overleveled, the enemies in an area stop attacking you, so that can help balance it out since you fight less.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
One thing that confuses me is that people talk about all the sidequests as very optional and possibly even a bad idea, but it seems like you need to do a huge majority in order to get the additional skill trees for each character? Shulk's fourth needed Colony 9 at about 4.5 stars, and you don't get there without talking to almost every named NPC and doing almost every quest. From looking at the requirements for the other characters, they look just as laborious. Am I wrong? Or is everyone advising to chill with the sidequests okay with just not getting the extra skill trees?

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys

Blind Sally posted:

Yeah, I cannot stress this enough. Maybe this should be put in the OP, bold, in size 24 font, cause really, if you aren't careful you can drive yourself nuts trying to complete every sidequest right away. Really, you don't want to wear yourself out before you've beaten the game, so wait for New Game + to let yourself go all OCD--that way you'll still be able to experience all sorts of new things.

Does new game + go quicker to such a degree that this wouldn't turn a 100+ hour game into a 200+ hour game?

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
I've only done Shulk's fourth but it was much like that so maybe. :)

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
It sucks but you should probably assume that the in-game locations are crap and use a faq for everything. :(

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
So "do this one questline" actually becomes "do most of the quests in Frontier Village, several in Satori Marsh, and a bunch of rebuilding Colony 6 + its quests"? :(

Affinity requirements for quests seems to really shoot a hole in the idea of doing only a more rewarding subset of quests, since to achieve the affinity needed for them, you have to do most of the boring ones too (and overlevel yourself to heck in the process).

Lakitu7 fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Apr 19, 2012

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
I see; I didn't realize that quest exp is set proportional to the area/difficulty/requirements, rather than scaling to you. I did basically everything in colony 9 after frontier village and only went up a level or two, but I assumed that was because I was already so overleveled.

Perhaps waiting until as late as possible to do each thing is the solution to doing most of the quests without overleveling too much?

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
I like how when you get to (location) Eryth Sea the characters all talk about how amazed they are that Alcamoth is magically levitated, but seem entirely unfazed by the fact that it's built on top of an entire floating ocean.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
What is "jump in the" even a reference to? Maybe it is an endgame thing but so far I have to say I don't get it.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
Ah, okay, thank you. That sure was useful to get out of fighting those two spider bosses in the marsh. As a title it's pretty confusing to people who haven't played a lot though.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

I assume that "collect 5 bear asses" quests are finished automatically and the reward collected without having to return to the quest-giver.

I'm using the Wiimote, and I find the combat a little bit awkward, having to use the arrow pad to change Arts. Would it be easier if I had a classic controller?

I've got a combat question: Are all attacks automatic, including Arts (once the cooldown expires), or do I trigger Arts manually?

EDIT: When in a store menu, is there a way to see what your character's current stats are, not just the ones they'd be if you equipped the item you selected? Yes, I see the red and blue numbers, but I want to know if the blue number is only 1 above what I currently have, and the red is like 5 below without having to leave the store and check manually.

Each quest says whether or not you have to return to the quest giver. If it doesn't say so, you don't. The general pattern is that you are only asked to return if the quest is one in a sequence, where the quest giver will give you a new one when you return.

I've never tried with the wiimote but it's not awkward at all with the classic controller, because you just use the d-pad for this, while moving with the left stick, and controlling the camera with the right stick.

No attacks are automatic except your basic "auto attacks" that fire anytime you're in range. Artes are all manual.

I'm not sure if this works in the store menu, but when equipping stuff you already have in the item menu, you can put the cursor someplace else (like on the list of tabs) to show the stats of the character you currently have selected. Even if this doesn't work in the store menu, it's okay because most of the time you don't want to buy equipment in shops. When you wander around and kill enemies for 10 minutes (usually to get those 10 bear asses the first guy you saw when you walked into the area asked you to get), you'll have the same or better stuff for free. Shops are just for selling off extra bear asses 1.0 when your inventory is too full to collect bear asses 2.0. The only thing you'll actually want to buy is artes manuals, and those are one-time things per each of each character's artes. This all doesn't apply if you actively avoid combat and sidequests, of course, but if you're already doing them, that's probably not the case for you!

Lakitu7 fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Apr 22, 2012

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
Should I buy the weapons and armor sold at the supply caravan in sword valley? Generally so far in the game, it's not wise to buy stuff from shops aside from artes tomes, and most of them here have one or no slots, but the descriptions tend to imply that they are special. Does anti-mechon stuff drop all over the place in this area, or should I really be blowing all my cash here?

Relatedly, once I proceed past this point, does this shop disappear, or I can come back to it?

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys

U-DO Burger posted:

I don't believe anti-Mechon stuff drops in Sword Valley, so it's not a bad idea to get an anti-Mechon weapon for each party member (except Melia, who really doesn't need it). In the next town, buying the next step up in anti-Mechon equipment is optional because the enemies start dropping good unique anti-Mechon equipment.

Okay, can-do. How about the armor? Is there anything actually especially "anti-mechon" about it, or it just has higher stats, but few slots?

And are the Artes Manuals available elsewhere later or is this my one shot and I'd better buy 'em all before I move on? (or, can I just come back here later?).

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
Got it. Thanks guys. Time to see how much stuff I can afford with my huge "haven't bought anything but artes manuals since 30 hours ago" reserves. :)

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
I suppose I shouldn't be surprised, but it turns out that I could buy a weapon and each of the armors for almost everyone AND all of the artes manuals, and still not even come close to running out of money.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
It's literally just that one fight (so far as I remember). That one fight will take an inordinately long time as your teammates handle it, but just yawn through it and you're fine.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
Weather stuff works a lot nicer if you get the quest early and keep it in mind while you do other stuff in the area, then going to the right place if that weather happens to occur, rather than deciding LET'S DO THIS QUEST NOW and mashing the clock for a while.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
Yeah, that works well when you're playing Melia and shooting 4x chain-boosted bolts that would have regularly hit for like 10k or 20k if in burst mode.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
Don't forget to equip quick step gems when you're going to run around sidequesting and catching glowies, if not all the time. I'm wearing just one level4 gem and 20% movement boost makes a big difference in speeding up the game.

Secondly, after my spending spree mentioned in the previous pages, I decided to go do more sidequesting and rebuild colony 6. In the process of rebuilding colony 6, I ran out of money. I decided to look at what I could sell. I had 36 element chunks, and apparently they sell for some absolutely insane amount. Suddenly I had almost as much money as I started with yesterday from ~20 hours of gameplay without buying anything.

Basically, if you want money to be *even less* of a problem, kill elemental enemies, because their drops sell for stupid cash.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
I think it does need to be on the lead, yes. But to me it is easily worth one slot.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys

BitterAvatar posted:

So I'm working on an optional boss fight in the Swamp at around level 33. It's the stupid named Igna in the large ruins. He does some crazy move that seems to always be instant death for one character, but also hits my entire squad.

I felt like that boss fight was way more difficult than anything else around it, and probably more than it was intended to be. I came back after I was 3-4 levels higher than him and it was still a difficult fight that took several attempts, despite totally wiping out the story bosses around there.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys

SombereroLad posted:

This is remedied somewhat by a skill in Melia's 4th skill tree.

I have that tree but remember not being too excited by it. What in it could help with lack of slots?

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
The game is super liberal with character development. All points are per-character rather than shared between characters. Characters you're not using get almost as much experience as those in the active party. Skill links (you don't have these yet) can be respecced at any time.

Agility is just dodge. I don't think attack skill is based on it but I could be wrong. The arts menu tells you what each skill is based on.

Ether is magic power. Some skills are based on ether, even on physical characters. These have a horizontal line through their icons, and it says so in the extended descriptions in the arts menu.

Skill tree skills are mostly earned and then active, so the only choice is which to get first. You'll probably have enough to get all of them, in time. Also you can switch between trees at any time with no penalty. Pick whatever sounds good to you, but you don't need to put a lot of thought into it.

This is absolutely not at all the sort of game where you need to plan character builds at the beginning, or particularly worry about any such choice. Play around as you see fit.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
A little Y button icon that says "trade" does pop up in the corner but it's very easy to miss. As your star level with the area increases, the quality of what they have available goes up.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
That city being a) the most annoying area for quests and b) a point where fatigue reasonably would start to set in anyway, is made worse by the fact that most of them are timed, so you can't even put them off for too long.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys

Strange Matter posted:

WHERE IS THE SECLUDED ISLAND

I'm in Eryth Sea and there are shooting stars and I've been swimming around for like forty five minutes trying to find it, turning back the clock again and again.

Man that place is soothing though.

http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20111019083135/xenoblade/images/thumb/6/62/ErythSea.png/830px-ErythSea.png

I wasn't soothed at all when that happened because I was like OH GOD I HAVE TO DO THIS BEFORE THIS STUPID WEATHER EVENT ENDS SO I DON'T HAVE TO MESS WITH THE CLOCK TO REPEAT IT LATER, and then after I beat the monster I realized I hadn't even taken the quest yet anyway, and only read about it in FAQs. :sigh:

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
Clever crafting can at most boost things by one level. If level 2 gems are no longer useful to you, sell all your level 1 crystals/containers. Repeat as you get access to higher level gems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
The first 3 levels use materials from before Sword Valley, and then level 4 is entirely things from after that point.

• Locked thread