Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

rt4 posted:

Sometimes you collect 10 buffalo asses, then that triggers collecting 10 buffalo horns and so forth a few times over, and then the last quest triggers something cool. You can't know for sure! Also, quests improve your reputation with an area, so the net effect of completing a bunch opens up new quests in that area as well.

I don't think any kill or collection quests lead directly into a real plot. Anything with a story attached to it has a unique name, so they're identifiable. Any of the generic kill/collection quests get turned in automatically so they CAN'T lead to anything.

They all contribute to your reputation, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Nintendo's store page says "We expect to begin shipping on April 6th, 2012. A confirmation email will be sent when your order ships."

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

IIRC, press minus when you're in the skills menu? It should be listed there. I don't think you get it until you get to the third zone, though.

Each skill has an Affinity Coin cost to link. It's not an actual currency that gets expended, though, but permanent points. So don't be afraid to switch skill links around willy nilly.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Daynab posted:

Yeah, that has to be the scariest zone I've seen so far, for your level. Tons of high level stuff you don't want to aggro by mistake, monsters everywhere.

It's scarier in the day because 90% of the nighttime mobs wont aggro to you.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Gyoru posted:

Wait until you guys see the E___h _e_ under its unique weather condition. :allears:

I'm honestly not sure if I've ever seen that. Huh. Maybe I should just idle there a while.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Shield is useless unless there's an incoming Talent Art, which always gets announced. Speed really ups your evasion rate to everything, so that's still useful. Enchant does add some damage to all attacks but it's not a whole lot or anything.

For the Buster, make sure you position yourself so the enemies are in a line with you. It actually attacks a pretty big line out in front of you and can hit a lot of mobs at once if you do it right.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Melia is probably the weakest healer of the characters that can do so. But she offers massive burst damage, which is pretty nice. The AI is just really ineffective with her in general.

edit: When fighting anything but bosses, healing isn't terribly important anyways. Even in tougher trash mob battles, it's generally possible to just kill them before they kill you.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

deletebeepbeepbeep posted:

This is the one that gives me low level crackling/popping constantly but fixes audio stutter in dialogue. I might give some of the older versions a go.

Make sure your audio is set to XAudio @ 48k, this is actually really important.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Lessail posted:

The part about the dumb AI is the opposite of my experience. More often I was the dumb one when I forced a topple and the battle went south. Then again I don't think I was ever under leveled for the main game so that might be a part of it.

It's silly because the AI he specifically pointed out, Sharla's, is actually really good at healing. She's efficient with her heals and always heals the right party members. A player playing as Sharla might be a little better, but not by much.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Chaltab posted:

If this game is what you consider terrible graphics, I don't know what to tell you.

The overall art is really well done. The main problem is the low texture resolution. That's not a factor for big landscape shots like that, but close-ups can look a little ugly. The really blurry faces in particular can be a big turnoff for some people.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Lakbay posted:

I just got Riki, what are the good party compositions for him? I did Melia/Dunban/Riki and the damage output seems crazy but the people in the thread said not to give him to the AI right?

AI Riki isn't good at lining up the heal spell, often only healing one of you instead of both of you. Melia can do some spot healing as well but she's not very good at it. Melia's AI is also not very good at, well, anything. It doesn't use her heal abilities well, it doesn't know how to use copy to effectively spam spells, nor does it know when to keep an aura up. I like Riki, Dunban, and Shulk or 7th, but melia isn't a terrible choice, she's just not really good at all unless you control her directly.

If you DO control her directly, and know the tricks, god drat is she ever absurdly powerful.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Dolphin does support importing Wii saves. Copy your save to a sd card or usb stick. Then in Dolphin go to Tools -> Wii Save Import.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

dirty nub posted:

Also fourth character spolers : Does Dunban's skill that increase his agility while wearing no armor mean he has to be completely naked or just wearing light armor? It seems like a big disadvantage wearing no armor since he won't get any gems.

There's a skill you can link to him later on that gives you a buff when you aren't wearing any gems. The two together, alongside other +agi skills make him a beastly avoidance tank. He'll dodge almost everything, removing the need to wear armor.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Kawalimus posted:

What's a good way to get my talent thing up quickly during battle? I'm at the second such battle where I absolutely need to use a chain attack, and this fight seems to drag on forever. Is it supposed to be this slow or is there something I'm doing wrong?

Party gauge increases during burst affinities, IIRC, those are when B suddenly appears on screen and you press it in time. Also properly using arts with bonus effects like backstabs will raise it quickly. If you don't get the bonus effect then the gauge doesn't raise.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Mystic Mongol posted:

So I just picked up the fifth playable character, Dunban. One of his skill trees suggests he can tank while not wearing armor.

How practical is this? Because if I can have a badass samurai running around in shorts wrecking up the place, I absolutely will.

It's not practical until the late game but he can indeed do this at some point and it's awesome.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Brackhar posted:

Can you give some insight into what tricks you are referring to? I just poked at her and was... underwhelmed to say the least.

Do Bolt, Copy, then summon and discharge a third elemental (Ice, Wind, whatever) until the Bolt cooldown ends. Summon it, and instantly discharge all three Bolts you now have summoned. Congrats, you've just done immense damage that will assuredly pull aggro if whatever you're targeting isn't somehow dead. If you're in Burst mode, you'll end up doing more damage than most chain combos. Throw in a Mind Burst at the end just for kicks.

Medium health trash mobs will die to this routine. High health mobs will not, so you may want to soften them up a little first. For low health mobs, it may be best to just keep two Bolts out while alternating summon and discharge for your third elemental slot. Even this will be powerful enough to draw aggro, most likely, but they'll die first.

For boss fights... I honestly don't know. I never played as her during a boss fight. I suppose keeping Water summoned would be reasonably important. Just going all out nuking would draw too much aggro.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Apr 10, 2012

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Grozz Nuy posted:

I preordered this game but I haven't gotten a lot of time to play it because I've been busy at work lately. I got to the point where leveling Arts and skill trees become available and stopped because my stupid powergaming brain couldn't stand the idea of spending points on something less than optimal. The guides for this game seem pretty barebones at this point, does anybody who's played the game before have any suggestions on what Arts and skill trees are good to focus on early in the game? Or are AP/SP common enough that you'll be able to max out everything without too much trouble? Any advice would put my dumb RPG OCD at ease.

Also, can you move socketed gems between equipment without destroying them? I hate it when RPGs do that because I always end up hoarding them.

You aren't going to max every single art unless you really grind, but you do get plenty of AP and SP, so you don't really have to make too many super hard choices. You can put a few points into every art just to try them out and still max all the ones that you wish to stick with and a few extra as well, probably.

So really, don't worry about it. The game allows you to experiment a good deal without being punished.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Varicelli posted:

Am I going to be punished for never having played this series before, and having no concept of the story?

It's not part of any series. It's completely unrelated in every way to Xenogears and Xenosaga.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Lakbay posted:

I'm at (late game spoiler?) Sword Valley and am I underleveled? I'm trying to fight Mumkhar and his Face mechons but they're 48 and he's 52 while my party is only level 46. Odd because even with just doing the story I was evenly leveled and now the bosses' levels are skyrocketing. Is there a gimmick I'm missing or am I going to actually have to grind?

Yeah, you might want to do SOME sidequests. Have you not even done the ones that auto complete? You should be around level 50-52 at that spot.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Volt Catfish posted:

Yeah, the original title was Monado: Beginning of the World, right?

Guess adding the Xeno helps negligibly with sales, though :v:

Honestly, I think it hurts sales in the west more than it helps.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I didn't have a problem with that jump. I had a hell of a time with that other ice slide jump though, the one with the round ice tunnel where you had to prematurely jump in order to get on to a ledge. I spent like an hour on that loving jump.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Ledneh posted:

When at a merchant is it safe to sell everything in the Materials tab? (The stuff that appears as a bunch of bags)

No, unfortunately not. There will be materials that are needed for other things and those don't get marked.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Bussamove posted:

To expand on that a little bit, some materials are needed for quests that might not pop up until later on in the zone/other zones. If you're not concerned with them, then sell away. They're a good source of cash either way.

Minor spoiler for early game: Once you get the Monado it will occasionally give you a vision that tells you if a collectible is for a quest. I can't remember if it will do it for drops from monsters, though.

It will do it, but for whatever reason it doesn't do it for all of them. I don't know why, but it marks some materials you need for future quests, but not others. Also there's another thing you need materials for that isn't normal quests, and those don't always get marked either.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Broand posted:

I'm at the sea level and My best relation is with shulk/reyn which is sort of whiteish purple. Everyone else is pretty low, is there a better way of bringing them up or do I just grind battles all the time?

You can give collectables to party members as gifts to raise the affinity between two of them. This is the quickest way, just gift spam with all your useless collectables taking up space. Never sell them.

Do this in the items menu.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Strange Matter posted:

:stare: There are so many systems in this game that it would probably be possible to play through the entire game without catching them all.

It's crazy how few people know about giving gifts. I don't think the game ever tells you that you can do this at any moment. I don't remember how I found out, either someone mentioned something in the old thread or I stumbled upon it while just sifting through the items menu.

Each gift raises or lowers affinity by a certain amount for each character. Their personalities show a little bit here, it's nice. Reyn likes food and critters such as lizards and frogs, Shulk likes technology, etc.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Samurai Sanders posted:

There are some thick loving skulls in charge of the FF franchise, and they kind of define the genre. As good as this is it may very well be too little, too late.

Instead of trying to appeal to Square-Enix, they should say "are you watching this??" to Nintendo. It seems like they're only barely aware of what they have in Xenoblade and Monolith.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

You should be about the same level as the boss. I have no idea off hand what that is. Try buying some better armor for Reyn if your healing can't keep up with the damage he takes. For fight strategy, focus on the small spiders first, don't even attack the queen until they're dead. Use the commands to tell Reyn to focus on your target. Don't use the monado buster if you want to play conservatively, it uses all of your talent gauge while shield only uses half. If you predict an upcoming attack from the queen, stop using your arts and auto attack to fill your talent gauge so you can do a shield.

About keeping track of combat, you get used to it. You learn what you can filter out and what's actually important. Your party gauge (for combo attacks) doesn't really mean much until it's full, you don't have to watch it. Don't worry about what Reyn's doing, you can't do anything about it so just simply don't care. Focus on your positioning. Get to a monster's side, do a slit edge. Immediately move to its back, do a backstab. Then just spam arts until it's dead and move on to the next mob. It's really not that much once you get used to it.

edit: Make sure you're only using the shield to react to talent arts, and not normal arts. Talent arts are white and have a numeral next to them. Other arts are red or purple. Shield does nothing against those.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Apr 15, 2012

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Evil Fluffy posted:

That's a mid-game spoiler? Either it's optional and I've skipped it, thinking it would just come up, or this game's going to take me 80 hours to beat. I'm at 41 or 42 hours played and at Galahad Fortress, currently level 54 because I beat all 4(?) optional boss-kill quests outside. 3 gave orion gear and the last one was a lvl 55 guy that gave 2 gems. I want to believe I'm only at the mid point of the game but I can't imagine an RPG being made that's a 70-80 hour playthrough, it'd just make me too happy.

If you haven't started colony 6 reconstruction at all then you must have skipped it, because you can start it fairly early. To do so, talk to the old guy at the ruins to get the quest to migrate the refugees.

I'd say you're closer to 2/3rds through than halfway.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Lone Rogue posted:

I wish I had more time :negative:

I think I went into one of the dungeons way underlevelled so I should probably re-start but I just don't have time anymore.

Does anyone know how to scheme the Ontario welfare system? I got games I need to play.

:negative:

You don't have to restart. Just... go somewhere else and do more side quests? You can fast travel out of almost any spot at any time. The few spots you can't fast travel from, you can't save in either.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

DeliriousDelight posted:

I have a sidequest to kill the White Eduardo at Raguel Lake, but it only shows up during thunderstorms. What's the fastest way to trigger a thunderstorm? I've been messing around with the clock during the nighttime hours but so far I haven't been able to trigger one.

Related to this, I'm at the part in the main quest where Juju's been kidnapped, so I have to go to Colony 6 next. How much more do I have before the Bionis' Leg timed quests become locked out?

Those quests are unique because it's entirely up to you when they time out. It's done via an optional quest and it's obvious when it happens. edit: Or am I misremembering? nevermind then. edit 2: I am not, I just checked. You're given a sidequest at some point and fulfilling that side quest will remove all of those quests.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Apr 16, 2012

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Ledneh posted:

Speaking of things like Monado Speed and Shield: personally I've tended to reserve those until I get a premonition. Those only seem to come up when someone's about to go rear end over teakettle, though, and not for regular uses of talent arts, etc. My question is, how proactive are you guys with the Monado abilities other than Enchant and Buster?

Shield does literally nothing at all if there isn't an incoming Talent Art, so only use it in those situations. I sometimes use Speed if I notice that my tank is getting swarmed. Purge is my go-to when fighting enemies with spike.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Fhqwhgads posted:

I do get some audio echoing during cutscenes when there's a lot of stuff happening on the screen, but that's about it, really. I want to start applying those HD patches to pretty it up even more, but for now I'm just happy everything runs.

The HD retextures are all incomplete. The comparison shots you see are without them.

Really, just download this version of dolphin: http://forums.dolphin-emulator.com/showthread.php?tid=14356&pid=203812#pid203812

You don't need to patch the game. You don't have to download anything extra. Just download the emulator and run the game.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

U-DO Burger posted:

You keep your arts, skills and levels, and you get to carry over most of your equipment, so things should go much faster. That said, I've never gotten more than 20 minutes into NG+ because I thought it was boring as hell to go through the game again when there was literally no challenge, so YMMV.

Yeah, this is my thought. Do not save everything for NG+, because you'll never play through that unless you are literally insane.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Grozz Nuy posted:

So are Arts Manuals ever given to you as quest rewards, or do they exist as money sinks and/or to throttle your progress to the plot progression somewhat?

I believe they can only be bought. And with only a few exceptions, advanced manuals can only be found as drops from monsters.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Chaltab posted:

God, I have been messing with IOSes and DOPs for two hours. I'm starting to think it would just be easier to buy a new disc off a fellow goon. I love this game, but I'm not sure I want to play the first fifty hours over again.

IOSes are a bitch and a half to deal with. Modern hacking solutions download all of the necessary ones for you during hack installation, but if yours was hacked before that or if you used an older method then it can be a pain to get the newest IOS versions.

One tip I can throw out there is to make sure you don't have a gamecube memcard plugged in. That messed me up for a good couple of hours.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Nucular Carmul posted:

Spam what? Is there a button you can/need to push during crafting? Am I about to feel incredibly stupid? Are all sentences in this post going to end with a question mark?

He just means going with Reyn because Reyn will do high heat like 80% of the time.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Is that Robo armor? Jesus, this game. :psyduck:

Looks more like Dwemer armor to me. Although I wouldn't be surprised to see a Chrono reference or two, some of Xenoblade's designers worked on Chrono Trigger (minor roles, albeit).

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

One of the problems for Final Fantasy is that there's no one person directing that series' future. It's brand development by committee, quite literally. The different projects are handed off to different designers with wildly different views on what makes a Final Fantasy game and the management end up spinning the series off into a million different directions with no clear focus. They've misused the brand so much that the words Final Fantasy no longer mean anything at all. It could be on pretty much any game. From a portable action/strategy game to a 60 console RPG to a town management sim, all in different universes. And all pretty mediocre.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Unoriginal One posted:

The fourth skill trees are all available mid-game and are perfectly fine to shoot for. The fifth trees, on the other hand.... Hmmm, I'd say you can get them for four characters without having to worry about overleveling the endgame hugely, but the other three you'll want to hold off on until the post-game, as they require fighting 90+mobs.

If you care for somewhat more detail(spoilers to stay on the safe side, but there shouldn't be anything major):

Shulk(Probably safe): Depends on whether you gave Emmy the sword or the shield. Not sure what you have to do if you gave her the sword, but if you gave her the shield there's no fighting whatsoever. Just hop over to the mines and pick it up.

Reyn(Hold off): Material collection off of level ~90 mobs

Sharla(Probably safe?): Requires a mostly/entirely rebuilt Colony 6 for all of the involved NPCs to be invited. I don't recall any of the mats needing to be farmed off of 90+ mobs, so it's probably safe to go for if you don't mind farming for Rainbow Slugs and Black Liver Beans to finish Colony 6

Dunban(Safe): Collecting items from low level mobs on the Fallen Arm

Riki(Hold off): Beat up a lvl 95 UM

Melia(Safe): Collect a bunch of quest items from various locations, no fighting involved(at least, I don't seem to recall any mandatory fighting, might be wrong though). This gives you a key that opens up various loot caches and unlocks her skill quest, which involves heading to a previously blocked off area in Valak to look at a statue(remember that Heart to Heart you couldn't find a way to get to? That's the place). A high level mob spawns in afterwards, but as the quest only requires that you look at the statue it can be ignored.

Seven(Hold off): The entire quest chain involves doing stuff in an area filled with 90+ mobs, and caps off by requiring you to kill two 96~98 UMs. I do, however, recommend getting some exploration done even if you want to hold off, as there's an NPC there who will have Critical V gems for trade up until she moves back to Colony 9

IIRC, you can't do any of these until you've gotten really far in the story and are just like one or two zones away from the ending.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Do we still not know anything about the story and how it's related to Xenoblade, if it is at all?

• Locked thread