Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

This didn't come across as well in the LP, but man, the boss fight music, like what you hear in the prologue as Dunban and Co Vs Giant Robots? metal as hell :rock:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

My only complaint with the game so far is that, yes, the in-battle banter is informative but holy moly do I wish I could turn down the voice volume just a touch. :(

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Does anyone know if there are any major differences between the PAL and NTSC versions?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

When travelling is there any easy way to see which mobs I see on the way are for quests, short of memorizing the log / checking it frequently?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Ledneh posted:

When travelling is there any easy way to see which mobs I see on the way are for quests, short of memorizing the log / checking it frequently?

Anyone?

While I'm asking questions, when fast traveling, to go between zones do you basically have to go to the edge of the current zone, walk over, repeat until at your destination, or is there something in the controls I'm missing?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Sankis posted:

I'm playing on Dolphin so I don't remember the Wii controls, but open the menu (Y, maybe?) that has inventory, arts, etc and go all the way to the left. It's fast travel between zones, whereas the fast travel with - is between landmarks in the current area.

Score, thanks. :)

Also, wtf at gem crafting what is even going on here :pwn:

(edit) Also also, I know later I won't have to have Shulk in the party. Will I still be able to get the precognition events in battles if he's not fighting?

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Apr 14, 2012

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Where is the ideal timing for the in-battle QTEs, on the outer edge of the blue circle or on the button to press (b) itself?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

When at a merchant is it safe to sell everything in the Materials tab? (The stuff that appears as a bunch of bags)

Also, I read the above gem craft guide above and I'm all :pwn: What the hell do different statistics actually do? Is this explained anywhere?

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Apr 14, 2012

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

thedouche posted:

I think he means the percentages on the crystals before you work on them.

This and what are crystals and cylinders, and the different kinds of flame, oh and I guess each party member has abilities that aren't explained anywhere while making gems too? And you want to keep some pair of your party members hating each other to make it all work? What?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Strange Matter posted:

This much I have figured out, and only through trial and error basically. Crystals are dropped by most enemies, and generally have a relatively low % on one or two qualities, like Strength, Muscle or Ether.

:words:

Shulk and Reyn do the crafting, and these are the results:

Strength 150%
Agility 50%
Muscle 25%

This yields 1 Strength Gem. The batch also gave up one Cylinder, so you can choose to take either the Agility 50% or the Muscle 25%.

Thanks for this. Do percentages above 100 matter at all? I'm guessing yes.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

The implication being that a gem's rank is also determined by something besides the percentage being 200%+?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

It just occurred to me that you can warn ANYONE about future doom in battle, not just the intended victim. So Shulk can go 'hey Sharla that shield on Reyn would be really great like right now'

That is so awesome

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Now that I'm told not to sell Materials I'm constantly not having enough gold to buy anything at the stores. :smith:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

HerraS posted:

I just have to say that Dunban with his "Higher chance of Double Attacks" Skill + As many Double Attack gems that you can fit on your weapon + Haste + linking the 7th char's skill that makes all Double Attacks into Criticals is THE HYPEST poo poo

He does kinda look like someones dad trying to be :c00lbert: with the kids with his agility shades and lazor sword, though.

I just got Dunban and he is the suavest motherfucker in his default getup holy moly. I have to control him.

Is he intended to be a tank? But... but it's already Reyn Time, I can't replace him :smith:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Speaking of things like Monado Speed and Shield: personally I've tended to reserve those until I get a premonition. Those only seem to come up when someone's about to go rear end over teakettle, though, and not for regular uses of talent arts, etc. My question is, how proactive are you guys with the Monado abilities other than Enchant and Buster?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Alectai posted:

Okay, so I've justWHOOPS SPOILERS tanking for me.

One of these days I'm going to learn not to mouse over any spoilers, whether tagged appropriately or not.

(rear end in a top hat.)

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Ahhpple posted:

It's an obvious one anyway. Was anyone really surprised by that particular spoiler?

I should think so :mad:

... ok so i'm not so smart :smith:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I got rid of my copy of this game several months ago 'cause I wasn't playing it. This was a horrible error, I want to play that drat game again. I wonder if I can find another copy hahahaha who am I kidding :smith:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

WendigoJohnson posted:

People are dumping their Wii games at gamestop, just go into the store and look.

That's what I get for assuming, nearest one had two. :downs:

Just had to pick the day right before work to want to get back into this, though...

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Couple questions about quests. They're turned in and I get the rewards the moment I complete the requirements, right? Or do I need to go back to every Bumblefuck McNPC to get my mcguffins?

Am I going to be best off just completing quests as I run into their areas or should I hang out until they're all done?

On another note, what do the blue and orange dots on the minimap actually mean? Not all NPCs seem to be represented by a dot so I don't know what the gently caress.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I'm not very far in the game but I would feel weird not having Shulk and Reyn in the party at all times, Shulk for the Monado and Reyn because god damnit it's Reyn Time :(

Anyway, some more questions!

- There any useful way to know what weight class works for which character besides guesswork (I'm assuming Shulk is a better fit for Medium and Reyn goes in heavy, for example)?
- Can I safely sell materials (or whatever they're called, the bag looking things in the inventory) that aren't being used for quests? Any reason not to sell old gear?
- Does the affinity chart actually have any ingame effects besides lore stuff?
- WTF is with that boss caterpillar in the Tephra Cave :arghfist::(

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Well it's not like I tried that caterpillar very much or anything, I'm about an hour past that. It just surprised me, is all :v:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I wasn't even aware you needed to sneak, him and his cohorts have no aggro. I just walked by after a couple tries!

Speaking of aggro, I'm trying to control Reyn instead of Shulk for a while (I'm making my way to Colony 6 for the first time, for reference, so it's just the two of them), and now I see why Fiora and Shulk were dying so often. Aggro is loving finicky. Anyone got any tips on that front?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Speaking of monstrously overleveled and unfair encounters, I just got to the... I forget the name, but the giant plains where you first rescue Juju. On the Bionis kneecap.

How can a giant red... thing sneak up on me like that, I ask you? :mad:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

kalensc posted:

I'm feeling kinda dumb that I put over 130 hours into the game but never bothered to figure out how chains worked. I guess I assumed that it was supposed to be rare to get more than 3 hits on a chain so I never had any specific uses for them beyond Break/Topple/Daze combos.

That's all I use chains for, matching colors never seemed to actually do much of anything for me. Then again the game's only just started, so. vOv

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Are the art colors actually meaningful in any sense besides knowing which ones chain?

Also Sharla doesn't have any red abilities at all she keeps loving up my chains :saddowns:

Also also... you get Dunban as a permanent party member later? Really?! :dance:

While I'm at it, a couple more questions I just thought of.

- Are there any One Weird Old Tips I should know regarding gem crafting? I'm just kind of throwing things together in there to see what sticks so far.
- When chaining, say I use a red, then a special art (white?). If I then use a blue on the next guy, am I at chain 3 or does it start over unless I use a red again?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

What does Tension actually do anyway, high or low?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Good to know, thanks. I just went up against the giant tentacle monster mechon in the plains (:japan:), and my guys seemed constantly at low tension from that, so the lowered accuracy was pretty noticeable.

Speaking of tentacle guy, I'm playing it on my PC via Dolphin this time around, and noticed a hell of a lot of slowdown in that fight, where everywhere else has been pretty smooth. Is it like that played on the Wii or do I have some tweaking to do?

While I'm asking questions, a couple about Shulk's future sight. Short of killing the enemy in question, is there any reliable way to get the FutureBox(tm) to shatter instead of him simply changing targets to someone I didn't heal up/shield with about one second left on the art timer (:argh:)? If for some reason Shulk's not in the party later (I can't imagine why not), do I still get the future sight?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Heh heh. A swamp on the 'lower back' of Bionis. Hehhhhh. Sure is pretty at night time, though. :v:

Aaaanyway, anyone have any advice on playing as Dunban? Is he meant to be a light-armor tank (why would I do that when Reyn is decked to the loving nines for the job?) or a damage dealer? He seems an odd mix of the two.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I guess then he'd want to wear all light armor, right, like his tips say? I was previously disregarding in game armor advice and going as heavy as I could on all characters. :v:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

God damnit sharla, you're level 30. Stop getting new arts that aren't red. You're ruining everything. :argh:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Fuckit then, you're outta here Sharla. Man-mode Dunban Shulk Reyn 'ERE WE GO :black101:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I guess then the trick is what to do with Reyn. So many of his moves generate aggro, he's gonna be fighting with Dunban for the honor of getting hit (or not) in the face. I guess that's not really a problem per se, though. :v:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Speaking of Melia, I just picked her up and I have no idea what I'm doing. :saddowns:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

So, I DO want to do all these Colony 6 reconstruction quests, right? Because I'm going slightly insane just trying to find one steel silk, let alone two, let alone the other crap. :suicide:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Oh yeah, I saw that and it said steel silk was in Tephra Cave so I wandered up and down the whole thing for, oh, four laps? Didn't even find one.

I'd give much for toggleable frameskip in Dolphin (that doesn't break the poor thing, anyway). :smith:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

pksage posted:

Keep an eye out for NPCs that trade for it, too, which is the main use of the trade function. Much better than grinding blue-orb collectables if you have the option, but be very careful for spoilers when reading NPC pages on the wiki.

Yeah apparently it can be traded for in Colony 9 but then the wiki noted it requires 4... something affinity, and I just gave up clicking because of what you say, I was sure I was gonna trod on a mine like who Seven is. I don't want to trod on that mine. I like my legs. :(

I have no idea how NPC affinity works or goes up besides doing quests, either, and gently caress that.

I'm assuming Seven is a replacement name for whoever it is, if it's not then oooo is my face red

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Louisgod posted:

Honestly I think the bikinis are the one true issue you can point out and have a legit beef with BUT I chalk it up to Japan being Japan and there being much worse in other games in the genre.

Sometimes I wonder if it's really a case of :japan: or if the average RPG player over there isn't really as :rolleyes: over it as we presently are. Then again I guess this sort of thing would have to be popular enough to warrant continually doing it... :geno:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

quaunaut posted:

Also, big tip for those who are having issues running it through Dolphin: Use the DPS LLE recompiler under the audio menu(you'll probably have to get a dump of this from your console). I was crashing and having mediocre performance, this solved that entirely.

I did this and I wish I could remember what I did to eliminate the popping and skipping in the sound that this causes. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I'm at my wits end. I want to start playing again but I can't work out for the loving life of me what magic and/or vodun sacrifices I did last time to get Dolphin to work without the sound popping, stuttering, or otherwise getting garbled. I've tried all forms of the HLE and LLE DSPs, and numerous different builds of Dolphin (with and without the "HLE fix", including the one I used last time) without success. Does anyone have any ideas?

• Locked thread