Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Archer2338
Mar 15, 2008

'Tis a screwed up world

Lyer posted:

General TV question, but since it's so prevalent in Korean TV shows, I figured I'd ask. Do the TV shows recycle laugh tracks and various other "sound effects"? If not do they just get a group of people/employees to record some of that stuff?

I know 1 Night 2 Days shows an advance screening of the episode and records the live reactions of the audience. I've been to a studio recording of some minor shows, and they have audience members (usually paid) sitting in the seats and following cues, with their reactions being mixed into the audio track.

Not sure about other variety shows; I'd assume most of it is canned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Jamesman posted:

One hell of a phone app.

Koreans love poop jokes like you wouldn't believe so I'm not at all surprised.

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

So is the main group that's doing Infinity Challenge subs gone? I haven't been able to visit their site for a few days now.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Lyer posted:

So is the main group that's doing Infinity Challenge subs gone? I haven't been able to visit their site for a few days now.

If you're talking about DDD, I'm able to visit their site just fine. Might be a technical issue on your end.

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

Well poo poo, I can't connect to it on my computer or my ipad, but can get to their site just fine on my phone. Did they just do a blanket ip ban on my address? Weird.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
REALITY Spotlight: 2NE1 TV

Finished: Probably not
Episodes: Not sure, but it's gone on for three seasons so far.
Starring: CL, Bom, Dara, Minzy
Available: 2NE1's Youtube page, fansubs for missing episodes.

The first season of this reality series was actually "YG LIVE," and dealt with the various artists and personalities at YG Entertainment, with 2NE1 being just one of the segments of a larger whole. With the second season, however, the show became "2NE1 TV" and followed them almost exclusively.

It's hard for me to know what to say about this show, with it being a reality series. There's no narrative or plot to speak of, with it just cutting between segments without any real sense of timeline or progression, and just being about the greatest music group in the world (fact) as they do things.

Sometimes it's about their schedule, like performing or shooting a music video or recording songs and whatnot. Sometimes it's just hanging out at their apartment or going shopping. Sometimes it's going on vacation or going to another country. It's all over the place because that's what these girls are all about. And it's awesome.

The girls are unique, charming, funny, smart, and beautiful, and seeing the various events of their lives from the mundane to the extraordinary is very entertaining and endearing to watch with their input. You also get some insight on how things work at YG Entertainment and what it means to be part of the YG Family, which gives you a sense of appreciation for that company, especially when you hear how poo poo some of these other entertainment companies can be.

Archer2338
Mar 15, 2008

'Tis a screwed up world

Jamesman posted:

You also get some insight on how things work at YG Entertainment and what it means to be part of the YG Family, which gives you a sense of appreciation for that company, especially when you hear how poo poo some of these other entertainment companies can be.

Yeah, I definitely agree with you there. A lot of the YG folks talk about how their "YG Family" is really close and supportive. And I don't think YG has been involved in any contract wars with its former celebrities, either.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
I won't say that YG is the greatest person ever, or that the company is flawless, but compared to things like sexual harassment cases, shortchanging music groups on contracts, instating a zero-tolerance policy just in case the talent starts getting too full of themselves, etc., things seem really darn spiffy over there.

I mean, you look at some of the dorms that other idols live in, with them all sharing one room and sleeping on the floor and it looking like a crappy college dorm. Then you look at an episode of 2NE1 TV where they're moving into their new apartment with multiple rooms, and they go to a furniture shop and YG shows up and says "just make a list of whatever you want for the new place and I'll buy it." It's quite a contrast, you know?

Jamesman fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Apr 18, 2012

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer
Where is this 2NE1 TV thing?

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

If they did this for SNSD, it would probably be one of the highest rated shows.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

So I guess by the fact I really like Brave Guys' 'Wait and Ready', I'll be adding Gag Concert to the ever increasing list of things to get around to watching...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFxetkH_Y2o

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

PaganGoatPants posted:

Where is this 2NE1 TV thing?

Season 1 and parts of Season 3 are fansubbed by a couple communities. RoyalAceSubs and YGLadies, I think.

Season 2 in its entirety and most of Season 3 are available on 2NE1's YouTube page, even compiled into playlists.

Since they're reality, you don't need to watch Season 1 before Season 2 or anything like that, and you can even just jump into some episodes because of the scatterbrained nature of the show. It's just them doing their thing.

The pHo posted:

So I guess by the fact I really like Brave Guys' 'Wait and Ready', I'll be adding Gag Concert to the ever increasing list of things to get around to watching...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFxetkH_Y2o

Shin Bora :swoon:

I'm so far behind on Gag Concert, and I wish there was a place that had all the episodes available. Maybe there is and I don't know about it, but I've only ever seen full episodes from the very late 500's onward.

But that show is the loving funniest goddamn show and has some of the most genius and novel concepts for sketches and gags you will ever see, and I have frequently laughed myself to tears from it. That'll be my next writeup for sure.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

From what I can tell, KBS World aren't going to be subbing GC anymore. I guess nobody ever did fan subs for it before so hopefully someone will pick up the reigns.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

Jamesman posted:

Season 1 and parts of Season 3 are fansubbed by a couple communities. RoyalAceSubs and YGLadies, I think.

Season 2 in its entirety and most of Season 3 are available on 2NE1's YouTube page, even compiled into playlists.

Since they're reality, you don't need to watch Season 1 before Season 2 or anything like that, and you can even just jump into some episodes because of the scatterbrained nature of the show. It's just them doing their thing.

Thanks for the info. I remember watching the Taeyang reality mini-series thing and it was hilarious. I didn't even know who he was before watching.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

DDD just released subs for the Infinity Challenge Yes or No special, which Archer had always highly recommended, but hadn't been available in English until now.

Can't wait to check it out!

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I think it was subbed before, unless the News special is something different? But the previous link leads to a YouTube block so hopefully this one stays up longer.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

The pHo posted:

I think it was subbed before, unless the News special is something different? But the previous link leads to a YouTube block so hopefully this one stays up longer.

The news special is different. Yes or No special are episodes 149-150, which have never been subbed before.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Gotcha, I might give those a watch then as seems a fun place to jump in if others are seeing for the first time too. Cheers!

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

Speaking of SNSD...

quote:

It looks like the rumors surrounding Girls’ Generation and their proposed sub-unit are true! The 9-member group has just announced that three of its members, Seohyun, Tiffany, and Taeyeon, will be joining forces to create a new sub-group called “Taetiseo“, and their first mini-album has been entitled “Twinkle”.

Judging by the released concept picture, it looks like the three members will be showing off something completely unexpected! The vibrant colors are the focus of their new concept, and the mini-album will feature songs that highlight the three girls’ powerful voices and deep emotional range. The group name, Taetiseo, is presumably a reference to the names of the three group members – Taeyeon, Tiffany, and Seohyun.

http://www.allkpop.com/2012/04/girls-generation-announces-their-sub-unit-taetiseo

:stare: That is so loving weird, it reminds me of high fructose corn syrup for some reason.

Selane
May 19, 2006

Lyer posted:

:stare: That is so loving weird, it reminds me of high fructose corn syrup for some reason.

On the one hand, they might be taking the Orange Caramel/Rainbow Pixie subgroup route and making it all cutesy since that seems to be somewhat popular. On the other hand, SM's teaser images do not necessarily represent what the actual concept will be, so only time will tell.

Honestly I don't care, they haven't done a cute concept since 'Oh' more than two years ago, so why not?

edit: Haha, I just noticed how terrified Seohyun looks in that pic. 'What have you done to meeee?'

strangeless
May 8, 2007

I say money, money, money, and I say hot dog! I say yes, no and I say money, money, money and I say turkey sandwich and I say jet fuel can't melt steel beams.
Gag Concert is apparently still being subbed on kshownow and reports are that KBS subbed episodes will return with the May 12 episode.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Selane posted:

On the one hand, they might be taking the Orange Caramel/Rainbow Pixie subgroup route and making it all cutesy since that seems to be somewhat popular.

Nah. Taeyeon, Tiffany, and Seohyun are the main vocalists, so this is going to be a subgroup to showcase their voices, and definitely not a cute concept.

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008
I'm used to subgroups basically just being a one good singer plus extras deal, so it should be interesting at the very least.

skyliner
Sep 16, 2006

too many adjectives posted:

Gag Concert is apparently still being subbed on kshownow and reports are that KBS subbed episodes will return with the May 12 episode.
I'm pretty sure those are the boosay subs. I linked to him doing the 1N2D episodes earlier. You have to register at his website though. http://boosaysharingiscaring.com/

He's a couple of months behind airtime, but he does Dream Team and Happy Together too. And some other stuff I don't watch like Win Win(?).

strangeless
May 8, 2007

I say money, money, money, and I say hot dog! I say yes, no and I say money, money, money and I say turkey sandwich and I say jet fuel can't melt steel beams.

skyliner posted:

I'm pretty sure those are the boosay subs. I linked to him doing the 1N2D episodes earlier. You have to register at his website though. http://boosaysharingiscaring.com/

He's a couple of months behind airtime, but he does Dream Team and Happy Together too. And some other stuff I don't watch like Win Win(?).

That kinda brings up an interesting point for me. Lots of places are very insistent on only watching through the original subber, to the point of "blacklisting" other sites that steal content, and then host their own versions of subs that are, to an outsider, stolen content. Where's the line? I guess in some cases there is some kind of reciprocity?

Should I just go to 5 different sites to watch the shows I want to see?

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

too many adjectives posted:

Should I just go to 5 different sites to watch the shows I want to see?

Essentially, yes.

The thing is each community is a community for a certain thing, so they only sub shows related to those things. They're protective of their translation work not because of their particular fandom, but because of the effort they put into the work, and they don't want to lose control of it and have someone else host it on an ad site and collect revenue or something off of it.

The closest thing I'm aware of to some sort of central viewing location is ithetime's blog, which reuploads a number of videos to their own YouTube page, I believe with permission, and giving credit to the original subbers.

skyliner
Sep 16, 2006

I think it's best to use the original subber's links when possible, so they benefit from the revenue rather than the content aggregator with their own ad.fly interstitial links.

The aggregators are convenient, but using the ones that improperly link others' content runs the risk of the original subbers ceasing their efforts.

From what I've seen kshownow is one of the best for providing credit and proper links.

Sacro
Jul 21, 2008

I was somewhere around the middle of page 86 in the Cognitive Dissonance thread when the drugs began to take hold.

only only only only only only
If you want to support the subbers watch it at their websites (this is a good idea if you want them to continue,) but they usually do not have legal rights to make profits off their material in the first place so it's not like you're doing something more shady by watching it from a link aggregator. In the same vein, it is funny how petty fansub groups can get about other people "stealing" their work considering the nature of fansubbing. Websites like viki do buy rights to distribute the shows they have, though, even if they still leave all the translation work to volunteers.

Sacro fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Apr 19, 2012

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

Jamesman posted:

Nah. Taeyeon, Tiffany, and Seohyun are the main vocalists, so this is going to be a subgroup to showcase their voices, and definitely not a cute concept.

Well, plus Sunny and Jessica (who had her 23rd birthday this week), but those two are stupid busy doing other things these days. Taetiseo looks more like "hey, here's something to do...".

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

saintonan posted:

Jessica

Busy being absolutely fabulous. She is one of the most photogenic celebrities I've ever seen. Not necessarily the best looking, but she looks great in almost every photo. Seriously though, I wonder just what the hell she's doing when every other member is busy with poo poo. There's just no way her company would let her do nothing this entire time right?

Also caught this extra tidbit:

quote:

SM Entertainment officially announced the creation of this new subunit on April 19th. They said in a statement, “Girls’ Generation’s subunit will feature the various talents of each Girls’ Generation member by changing the members of the unit according to the music and concept of each new subunit album. This subunit will aim to grab the attention of fans with all aspects of music, performance, and fashion styles.”

This actually sounds pretty cool; rotating members (that can't get acting gigs hah) into the sub group and pump out some singles here and there, all the while keeping them relevant/fresh in the minds of people.

Selane posted:

edit: Haha, I just noticed how terrified Seohyun looks in that pic. 'What have you done to meeee?'

Haha yeah, that concept is like the complete opposite of the type of person she is. I guess that's why it's a jarring picture for me.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Wasn't Jessica doing a play just like Tiffany was, recently?

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Jamesman posted:

Hard to have anything but a cute concept when the name is "Twinkle," though.

I wonder if they'll do an equal push for each sub-unit or whether Hyoyeon ends up in some reject unit that gets released during the slowest part of the year.

The Finn
Aug 27, 2004

إنه أصلع في الأسفل، كما تعلم

TV Zombie posted:

Wasn't Jessica doing a play just like Tiffany was, recently?

She was starring in a drama called Wild Romance

reflir
Oct 29, 2004

So don't. Stay here with me.
She's also been in the Legally Blonde play, but that was a while ago. Taeyeon's also been in plays.

Archer2338
Mar 15, 2008

'Tis a screwed up world

reflir posted:

She's also been in the Legally Blonde play, but that was a while ago. Taeyeon's also been in plays.

Musicals*

reflir
Oct 29, 2004

So don't. Stay here with me.
:doh: I don't know why I wrote that. Yes, musicals.

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
This SNSD unit is fantastic news. Anything that increases the concentration of TaeYeon is good news for me. Not that Tiffany and SeoHyun aren't awesome singers, but TaeYeon is TaeYeon.

Hopefully it's not just a ballad album (it will be). I'd love to hear something like Narsha's self titled EP.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

saintonan posted:

Well, plus Sunny and Jessica

Their voices are a lot "brighter," and they have a much cuter image. If you had put them in a sub-unit, it would almost definitely be more along the lines of something like Orange Caramel.

TyChan posted:

Hard to have anything but a cute concept when the name is "Twinkle," though.

The album name is Twinkle, not the unit name, unless "Teatiseo" is just a placeholder.

Taeyeon, Tiffany, and Seohyun really belt that poo poo out, and aside from Taeyeon, they're not really known for presenting a lot of cuteness. So you really have to expect music and an image that reflects that.

They should go full-on power ballad and heavy metal, like Devil's Cry

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

Jamesman posted:

Their voices are a lot "brighter," and they have a much cuter image. If you had put them in a sub-unit, it would almost definitely be more along the lines of something like Orange Caramel.

Just when you think Sunny is all aegyo and chicken catching, she does something like this. She can hold her own with any of the others in the group, I think only Taeyeon is clearly more talented.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

saintonan posted:

Just when you think Sunny is all aegyo and chicken catching, she does something like this. She can hold her own with any of the others in the group, I think only Taeyeon is clearly more talented.

:stare: Wow yeah, only Taeyeon is better and I think she's on the same level as Jessica (and then everyone else). I had some inkling she was more capable from her ad-libs on TV shows, but had no idea she was this good. SM is totally wasting her talent in SNSD by making her sing in that high pitched voice for all the group songs.

• Locked thread