Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Famous TV Dad
Nov 1, 2011

drat that sucks. RIP Jonghyun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

esperterra posted:

Age of Youth/Hello My Twenties S2 hitting Netflix on the 18th.

In Canadia anyway.

So did they forget to hit the button on this or what

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009

disjoe posted:

It is on AU netflix...

Maybe Canada just.. sucks?

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

disjoe posted:

I haven't even checked yet, completely forgot! I'll take a look once I settle in from work. Could be it's rolling out at diff dates but idk.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Double postin', but Hello, My Twenties/Age of Youth season 2 is indeed on Netflix Canada.

e: going to save it for when I'm visiting fam next week, aw yeah

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

Sorry should’ve clarified, I’m on Netflix US.

Figured it would release the same time as Canada since the planned dates were the same.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Weird! Hopefully that gets sorted soon. Worst case scenario, I'm sure someone has or will rip the Netflix version.

futurememory
Oct 22, 2011

"You're a bad man! You're a VERY bad man!"
What has everyone been watching recently, and what were the thread's favorite k-related things of 2017?

I'm finally watching Coffee Prince for the first time, and it's much cuter than I thought it'd be (and taking the whole girl-dressing-as-boy way further than I thought they would).

Other than that, I've also finally started on Running Man, which is hilariously funny (at around ep 15 now).

I'm really enjoying Let's Eat Dinner Together. Ho-dong and Lee Kyung-kyu explore a neighborhood in Korea (typically in or around Seoul). They bring two celebrities with them, split into two teams, and have 2 hours to try and find a house that will let them in for dinner. If they fail, they then have to find a convenience store in the neighborhood and try to find someone there that will eat with them. The entirety of the show's charms depends on what sort of house they end up in that week, and how personable the celebrities are. Heartwarming moments and awkwardness tends to ensue. On Demand Korea has a lot of it subbed really well; I'd recommend starting with the SNSD Sunny/Yuri episode. Yuri is just the best. :allears: I found the Red Velvet (Joy/Irene) episode to be pretty charming as well.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
You didn't find Coffee Prince felt too dated? I feel like Kdramas took a huge leap in technical quality in like 2012-13, I have a lotta trouble going back to older ones.

I've still been working my way through the Reply series, I liked 88 a lot and am most of the way through 94 now. Don't like it quite so much, I don't think the characters are as compelling, but it's still good.

For 2017 stuff, I watched both Go Back Couple and Fight My Way all the way through, they're kind of dumb but in very compelling ways. I talked about Go Back Couple before, but Fight My Way especially was great fun to watch, and the main leads had a ridiculous amount of chemistry. The last 2 episodes felt pretty rushed though, some moments in them that shoulda had a lot of emotional punch lacked it, but the whole thing takes a lot of different turns so I didn't feel like that spoiled the rest of the series. Throughout the whole thing they were very willing to move the characters along and rotate the supporting cast out, so there are some pretty good smaller parts of it.

Also watched a few episodes of Shopping King Louie, Beautiful Gong Shim, and I'm Not a Robot. I dunno if it's a new trend, but the main dudes in all of those are insufferable. Like, intentionally dependent and clingy. In Louie especially it's kinda the whole point and I expect he grows out of it by the end but holy poo poo the leading girl is a loving saint and I just couldn't stand watching it any more. Incidentally makes me remember another thing I liked about Fight My Way: they totally subvert that and the main girl takes 0 poo poo when a guy like that shows up. Well sorta. That part ends very satisfyingly though and clearly paints those qualities as bad for once, which was refreshing.

As for 2018, Radio Romance with Yoon Doo-joon (from Let's Eat) is coming out today, anyone else heard about that? His costar is the evil child actress from Moon Embracing the Sun, kinda hilarious seeing her as an adult now.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.
Seconding Fight for my Way, it was probably my favorite Korean show this year.
Queen of Mystery was a fun and short detective show, it's getting a second season which is rare.
Chicago Typewriter was good, I liked it a lot when they flashed back to Japanese occupied Korea, the present day story was middling. I wish more shows were set during 1900s-1960s.
Voice and Secret Forest were good serious shows.
20th Century Boy and Girl and Because this is my First Life were cheesy positive romances that I enjoyed much more than I expected.

twistedbutterfly
Jan 20, 2007
I just finished While You Were Sleeping. I think the dream vision thing could have had more to it, but drat if I didn't feel so satisfied with the ending because the rival lawyer deserved to have a trial crush him.

I also recently finished Tunnel. I don't normally watch cop dramas, but this one intrigued me since the lead went 30 years into his future to get a serial killer. It takes a few episodes to get going and the lead female professor lady is annoying as hell, but I found the writing to be pretty great and I highly recommend it.

I am currently watching Hwayugi. The side characters are so much better than the leads to me, who are kind of just generic. It has a bunch of cool demons(the octopus Prince and the Summer fairy are my favorites), a zombie, and some Power Rangers CGI.

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

THF13 posted:

Queen of Mystery was a fun and short detective show, it's getting a second season which is rare.

Starts airing Mid February I think? Downside: No cute Chief Hong.

futurememory
Oct 22, 2011

Koramei posted:

You didn't find Coffee Prince felt too dated? I feel like Kdramas took a huge leap in technical quality in like 2012-13, I have a lotta trouble going back to older ones.

Nah, I actually watch a fair amount of old TV/film, and play a LOT of old video games, so technical issues don't really bother me that much. Coffee Prince's story is still a good one (at least looking at it from 9 episodes in), and it's fairly well acted, so that's pretty much what matters. Ktv in general definitely took a huge leap in the last few years, down to music videos and variety.

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009
Is Hyori's bed and breakfast any good?

westborn
Feb 25, 2010

EvilElmo posted:

I loved it. It's more on the serene/wholesome side of the variety spectrum, in the vein of Three Meals a Day, with little forced or scripted humor/action/drama.
The first two episodes are a bit rough - Hyori & Sang-soon are great, but the guests, IU as part-time worker and the interactions of all parties are the heart and soul of the show, with the first guests arriving at the beginning and IU only arriving at the end of the second episode.

Can't wait for season two to start. I'll be missing IU, but Yoona should make an agreeable substitute.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

So over the past few weeks I’ve been watching Black on Netflix, which came out at the end of last year. I found it by accident when I was looking for Dark, a similarly titled but rather different show, and after I finished that I thought I’d check it out on a whim.

Holy gently caress, it’s so drat good. It’s a police procedural mystery story revolving around a girl who can see shadows that show her where and how someone will die. A detective named Han Moo-gang convinced her to use her ability to prevent peoples’ deaths, and along the way they uncover the corrupt secrets behind a fictionalised version of the Sampoong Department Store disaster. It’s a gripping story, and I’ve never seen any Korean dramas before this but I’m definitely keen on seeing more after this.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

http://thehardtimes.net/news/k-pop-star-escapes-freedom-north-korea/

Hard Times is always pretty good at riding that fine line of parody.

Mira
Nov 29, 2009

Max illegality.

What would be the point otherwise?

Anyone have any recommendations for a show (not reality) that doesn't require too much focus and I can just have playing in the background while I'm preparing dinner? Preferably something that's more slice-of-life.

Tortuga
Aug 27, 2011

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Venomous posted:

So over the past few weeks I’ve been watching Black on Netflix, which came out at the end of last year. I found it by accident when I was looking for Dark, a similarly titled but rather different show, and after I finished that I thought I’d check it out on a whim.

Holy gently caress, it’s so drat good. It’s a police procedural mystery story revolving around a girl who can see shadows that show her where and how someone will die. A detective named Han Moo-gang convinced her to use her ability to prevent peoples’ deaths, and along the way they uncover the corrupt secrets behind a fictionalised version of the Sampoong Department Store disaster. It’s a gripping story, and I’ve never seen any Korean dramas before this but I’m definitely keen on seeing more after this.

Black is great. It's a bit of an outlier for a Korean drama though as there's not many that even attempt that sort of super dark comedy. I don't think I've ever had such an unexpected dark laugh as at Short-Legged-Grandpa in the schoolgirl outfit

Prison Playbook, also on netflix is decent slow burner.

Fight! For your kite!
Jul 29, 2008
http://515ubs.blogspot.com/2018/02/real-life-men-and-women-eng-ep-1.html?m=1

Sunny fans have bonded together to commission subs for her new variety show. The show pits men vs women in real life situations hoping to break gender stereotypes. The first episode centers around survival after a natural disaster.

It's kind of wait and see for now. It's somewhat like "Human Condition" in that it quickly devolves into low quality variety hijinks after they've milked the initial concept dry.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I'm happy to give it a shot just for Sunny's presence alone.

EDIT: Not even 15 minutes in and Sunny's sabotaging the men's team :allears:

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Feb 22, 2018

westborn
Feb 25, 2010
It's a bit early to really judge, but from that one episode I felt like they would have had a hard time trying to assemble an even less appealing/entertaining male cast.
But it's variety with Sunny, so, yay!

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Yeah, the guys were as terrible as the girls were great.

While the girls' team went about actually completing the tasks quickly, capably and in good cheer, the guys just stood there miserably while the eldest demanded everyone tell him how great he was.

"Hyung, we need to start a fire!" "No, stand there and do nothing while I assemble this tiny tent for an hour, then tell me how impressed you are."

"Hyung we only need 2L of water for the survival challenge, so let's just fill this big container from the river and get on with things!" "No, I brought this water purification straw, so everyone will drink out of the container and tell me how great I am." "But, hyung, we have all these bottles of water we brought with us, can't we drink from those?" "I don't care, drink the river water, then someone else can walk all the way down to the river again and refill the container."

Actually, it was a pretty good commentary on survival situations, but probably not in the way they intended.

EDIT: And who the hell stops what they're doing in the middle of a challenge to walk off and start playing music on their MP3 player?

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Feb 22, 2018

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Show should be called ‘It’s Always Sunny in Pyeongchang’.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

I think Yang Se Hyung and the make maknae could have done better with some better older males on the team. Yoon Jongsoo pissed me off so bad during this first episode.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
I'm happy to watch the girls' team be awesome in every way, but there was nothing fun about the guys.

Even the inevitable "stealing their stuff" part just felt mean spirited.

Still, first episode is always rough. If I have to, I'll just fast forward through the men being idiots.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.
I watched something different recently, a historical drama called Six Flying Dragons and it was absolutely fantastic.

It's based off an important bit of Korean history so it expects you to recognize certain characters and be familiar with several of its characters and events, but it works well even if you're like me and have no idea about any of it.
Every character has their own goals and motivations which drives their choices, alliances and schemes and in a Game of Thrones way those choices decisions feel like they have consequences. This includes several female characters who are without exception strong, capable and pursuing their own agendas. It's not supposed to be completely realistic despite being based on real events. Several of the main characters are made up completely, characters who are considered expert fighters will slice and dice their way through dozens of random mooks, a gisaeng runs a spy agency entirely staffed by hot lady ninjas, etc.

The cinematography is great too, in particular the exaggerated fight scenes are tense and convey a sense of desperate brutality that really makes it look like the characters are trying hard to kill each other and not just have a cool looking sword fight.

Obviously from my gushing I liked it a ton, if you are thinking of watching it I would just mention two things.
-It's 50 loving 60 minute long episodes so it'll take a while.
-The first couple of episodes start with the main characters as actual children and aren't the best, but it has a good payoff so I wouldn't skip them.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
Stellar officially disbanded. That sucks, because I thought they were finally finding their place in K-pop and building a fanbase.

Are there any active groups you guys are enjoying? Every group I've liked is gone now, and none of the new ones are doing much for me. Big Bang's still technically together, but with the military enlistments and Taeyang's marriage, it's only a matter of time before they put the news out there too.

westborn
Feb 25, 2010

Jamesman posted:

Are there any active groups you guys are enjoying?

Well, SNSD technically hasn't disbanded either and most members are active in some form on their own, so... SNSD!

Otherwise I usually like individuals from groups, not necessarily follow whole groups in general, as I'm not that into the music aspect. Red Velvet is pretty good overall, but WJSN/Cosmic Girls would probably be the "group" I enjoy the most right now, simply because they have a ton of likeable members and their varieties were fun.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Technically BEG is still going.

Dreamcatcher seem to be releasing new stuff each week. I'm really enjoying their covers of English songs, too.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
kpop died in 2014 when Ladies Code had the car crash and Jessica left SNSD.

THF13 posted:

I watched something different recently, a historical drama called Six Flying Dragons and it was absolutely fantastic.

It's based off an important bit of Korean history so it expects you to recognize certain characters and be familiar with several of its characters and events, but it works well even if you're like me and have no idea about any of it.
Every character has their own goals and motivations which drives their choices, alliances and schemes and in a Game of Thrones way those choices decisions feel like they have consequences. This includes several female characters who are without exception strong, capable and pursuing their own agendas. It's not supposed to be completely realistic despite being based on real events. Several of the main characters are made up completely, characters who are considered expert fighters will slice and dice their way through dozens of random mooks, a gisaeng runs a spy agency entirely staffed by hot lady ninjas, etc.

The cinematography is great too, in particular the exaggerated fight scenes are tense and convey a sense of desperate brutality that really makes it look like the characters are trying hard to kill each other and not just have a cool looking sword fight.

Obviously from my gushing I liked it a ton, if you are thinking of watching it I would just mention two things.
-It's 50 loving 60 minute long episodes so it'll take a while.
-The first couple of episodes start with the main characters as actual children and aren't the best, but it has a good payoff so I wouldn't skip them.

How was the female lead, Shin Sekyung? I've pretty much...only heard bad things about her acting, and it's kept me away from a few series. But maybe I haven't given her a fair shot.

For actresses that I have the opposite attitude for though, after Fight For My Way I wanted to see Kim Jiwon in something else so I started on The Heirs and holy poo poo it's so terrible words can barely do it justice. It's like all the awful parts of kdramas condensed into a single series, I've nearly watched the entire thing now

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Koramei posted:

Man I'm still sad about Jessica leaving SNSD. Her solo stuff's alright but things will never be the same again!!!!

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Koramei posted:

How was the female lead, Shin Sekyung? I've pretty much...only heard bad things about her acting, and it's kept me away from a few series. But maybe I haven't given her a fair shot.

For actresses that I have the opposite attitude for though, after Fight For My Way I wanted to see Kim Jiwon in something else so I started on The Heirs and holy poo poo it's so terrible words can barely do it justice. It's like all the awful parts of kdramas condensed into a single series, I've nearly watched the entire thing now

I'd actually say nobody in the show has a particularly great performance, but nobody did bad enough to drag it down either. There's a lot of overly dramatic acting all around, but the setting and script of the show calls for it. Shin Sekyung specically wasn't great mostly just because there wasn't a ton of chemistry between her and the male lead, but their romance really is not the primary focus of the show.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
Infinite Challenge is ending March 31. All current members + PD are leaving. They might do a Season 2 but it'd be an entirely new cast + PD.

It's probably best for everyone to call an end while the show's still popular and the members don't get too old. On the other hand, I still enjoy watching it and I hope this won't prompt YJS to retire entirely from the business, like he sometimes joked he'd do when IC ended.

lowcrabdiet
Jun 28, 2004
I'm not Steve Nash.
College Slice

EvilElmo posted:

My SO started watching it and I caught on around episode 4. I'm usually not into any of the Korean shows she watches, but I watched the rest of the season all the way through with her. Very wholesome and made me happy. In fact, I came to this thread just to see if there was any mention of it.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

lowcrabdiet posted:

My SO started watching it and I caught on around episode 4. I'm usually not into any of the Korean shows she watches, but I watched the rest of the season all the way through with her. Very wholesome and made me happy. In fact, I came to this thread just to see if there was any mention of it.

I enjoy the heck out of it.

Season 2 is currently airing and it being the wintertime changes things up dramatically, as the weather and snowstorms plays a huge part.

futurememory
Oct 22, 2011

My husband and I just watched the first two episodes of Hyori and it’s just... unrelentingly pleasant. It’s like a warm bath, and I have to say, I’m pretty envious of their lifestyle. Very feel-good in the most chilled out, laid-back way.

Just makes me think that we would never have a reality show like this in America at all.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

futurememory posted:

Just makes me think that we would never have a reality show like this in America at all.

"So, who's the villain?"

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I'm finally finishing up Age of Youth 2 after putting it off far too long, and this show is still so loving good. Though I miss the original actress, I'm really starting to dig the new Eun-jae. She has this weird, crazy-eyed look to her a lot of the time that I think really suits the character.

I miss Kang most of all tbqh, but the new girl is pretty good so far. I look forward to everyone probably thinking she's a lesbian (and then her not being one because korea).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
Jesus Christ, I started on Six Flying Dragons and in episode 4 there's a loving extremely heavily implied child rape scene?? That caught me completely off guard, I'd be shocked by that in a Korean movie let alone in a prime time drama on one of South Korea's biggest TV networks.

Anyway that aside it's been alright. I feel like the pacing is a bit odd; I've had some trouble getting attached to the characters (ironically the two from that scene were probably the ones I cared about the most) but I guess that's the norm for the starts of all the giant dramas with like seventy different characters they have to introduce.

Koramei fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Apr 23, 2018

• Locked thread