Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eezee
Apr 3, 2011

My double chin turned out to be a huge cyst

TyChan posted:

Oh, hi.

Who are the athletes on this show?

Are you actually watching the Korean version of Dancing with the stars? :cripes:

Anyway, I'm now hooked on multiple Korean TV shows and god drat are the Koreans good at making great shows.
Here in Germany there is not one single show that reaches the hilarity of even a mediocre episode of Running Man.

I was actually thinking about learning some rudimentary Korean, especially the honorifics and Hangul and slowly expanding upon that.
In the long-run I think that would help a lot with some of the translation quirks that happen when you translate something with no English counterpart.
Did anybody else get into that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
I've taken an interest in learning the language and more about the culture, but haven't committed to doing anything about that interest beyond learning Hangul and picking up a few words through television.

I didn't think any of the "un-translatable" words were really that confusing; After hearing them the first or second time in context, you typically know what they mean. But if you're really having a hard time understanding some words and their usage, that's what this thread is for.

As for learning stuff, Hangul is ridiculously easy and EVERYONE should learn it just because of how easy it is. I highly doubt there's an easier written language in the world.

pitlo
Dec 30, 2004

You won't get anything
done by planning.
Oh so easy.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

That's a pretty bad comic and not accurate at all. Don't learn Hangeul from that.

pitlo
Dec 30, 2004

You won't get anything
done by planning.

Grand Fromage posted:

That's a pretty bad comic and not accurate at all. Don't learn Hangeul from that.

What're the really bad parts in it? I don't really know myself.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

PitifulLoser posted:

What're the really bad parts in it? I don't really know myself.

I guess not accurate at all is also inaccurate but it's not good. The vowels are weird. Some of them are just weird to me because I'm learning Gyeongsang dialect so I won't bother with those, but like ㅡ is not oo. There's no good way to describe ㅡ since it's the one vowel that isn't in English at all. In Gyeongsang ㅡ and ㅓ get conflated a lot, I don't know what happens in the Seoul standard dialect. ㅢ gets pronounced like three or four different ways depending on the word, you just have to remember it. Korean writing isn't phonetic.

He just barely mentions batchim, which are the end consonants in a syllable. For example, the one he does have is ㅅ, which is s (or sh depending on the vowel after it, like where he says 시 is see, that's wrong, it's shi) when it's the first consonant and t when it's the final. But ㅊ, ㄷ, ㅈ, ㅆ, and ㅎ do too. And ㅎ sometimes just vanishes entirely depending on what follows it. ㄱ, ㅋ, and ㄲ are all ㄱ at the end of a syllable. ㄹ doesn't just turn into an l.

Hangeul is easy to learn but there are better sources. Try this instead. http://hompi.sogang.ac.kr/korean/

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Apr 29, 2012

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
This comic states that there are distinct characters for "k" and "g". If that's the case, why is there so much ambiguity in the romanised versions of names and words that use them? For example, sometimes Kwang Soo is Gwang Soo and sometimes Jong Kook is Jong Gook. Are these just mistakes on the subber's part?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

There aren't distinct characters, the comic is wrong. ㄱ is pronounced sort of between g and k (though it depends on the word), ㅋ is always a hard k sound, and ㄲ is gg. ㄹ is r/l, ㄷ is between d/t, ㅌ is a hard t, ㅂ is between b and p, ㅍ is p. Basically. The ones that are between two letters will either sound like pronouncing both at once or more like one or the other depending on the word.

Also people are really inconsistent with using the standard Romanization style that was introduced about ten years ago, especially with names. And people will just totally make poo poo up. I've seen 안녕하세요 written as like ahn-youhng-hah-seyh-yah.

Archer2338
Mar 15, 2008

'Tis a screwed up world

sharktamer posted:

This comic states that there are distinct characters for "k" and "g". If that's the case, why is there so much ambiguity in the romanised versions of names and words that use them? For example, sometimes Kwang Soo is Gwang Soo and sometimes Jong Kook is Jong Gook. Are these just mistakes on the subber's part?

No, the "standard" romanization system we use tend to translate the ㄱs as Ks. IE: the surname 김 is Kim although it's really pronounced "Ghim" in Korea. Not sure what the reasons for that are, but it does get rid of the ambiguity of the G in English - IE, if you had "Gim" as the translation for 김, some might pronounce it as "jim" or something. I personally think using the G is better than K, but I really don't know why the official one is like that.
I say official because at least on passports, 김 is Kim.

Also, the comic isn't too bad; it'll help you get started. As Fromage said, the ㅡsound isn't really the oo in "brook".

I speak Seoul standard dialect and so things might be different, but I'll disagree with Fromage in saying that Korean writing is pretty phonetic. The difference between ㅐ and ㅔ in practice is sometimes confusing to teach to a non-native, but once you get the rules down, you should be able to read the language (phonetically).

And the Batchims (the consonants that go at the bottom of a character, like ㅅ in 잇), aren't covered that well in the comic, I agree. Though, the basic rules they have don't seem that bad (in Seoul standard); though it doesn't cover all of them, the T and Ng endings are a good rule of thumb to start with. I don't think the ㄹ batchim is handled well, but the ending sound using ㄹ isn't really there in English. Le in rattlesnake comes close, but I know a lot of Korean learners have trouble with ㄹ in general.

It's a good starting guide to get you interested and on the right path to better and more comprehensive learning guides to Korean, I think.

Archer2338 fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Apr 29, 2012

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Like I said I don't know Seoul dialect, I live in Ulsan so I learn Gyeongsang, and in Gyeongsang Korean is absolutely not phonetically written. To your example, ㅐ and ㅔ (and the y/w versions) are exactly the same in Gyeongsang --there are only really six vowel sounds here. So when you're trying to write something that someone is saying, if you haven't studied the vocabulary it's very hard to pick the right vowel since so many are conflated. It's not quite as bad as English, but the last two languages I studied were completely phonetic so spelling Korean is annoying the poo poo out of me.

Is n and ng occasionally being identical a Gyeongsang thing or does that happen in Seoul?

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Apr 29, 2012

Archer2338
Mar 15, 2008

'Tis a screwed up world

Grand Fromage posted:

Like I said I don't know Seoul dialect, I live in Ulsan so I learn Gyeongsang, and in Gyeongsang Korean is absolutely not phonetically written. To your example, ㅐ and ㅔ (and the y/w versions) are exactly the same in Gyeongsang --there are only really six vowel sounds here. So when you're trying to write something that someone is saying, if you haven't studied the vocabulary it's very hard to pick the right vowel since so many are conflated. It's not quite as bad as English, but the last two languages I studied were completely phonetic so spelling Korean is annoying the poo poo out of me.

Is n and ng occasionally being identical a Gyeongsang thing or does that happen in Seoul?

For the ㅐ/ㅔ thing with Seoul dialect, the difference exists, but it's subtle. I personally don't have trouble knowing what to use (I think it's a mix of speaking the language natively and also knowing the vocabulary/spelling) when using Korean, but when I'm trying to transcribe in Korean an English name or something, yeah it's confusing as to which one I should use since the English sounds don't carry over 100% and so the differences between ㅐ/ㅔ are moot.

And what do you mean about the n and the ng?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Just sometimes in spoken Korean around here, there will be a ng consonant but the Koreans just say n. Usually the ng is distinct but occasionally it isn't, I haven't noticed a pattern to it. I've been getting help from a friend, maybe it's just her but it's hard to know unless I'm writing it down and comparing.

An example is 프랑스, I've never heard anyone pronounce the middle syllable as rang, it's always ran.

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008

Grand Fromage posted:

Just sometimes in spoken Korean around here, there will be a ng consonant but the Koreans just say n. Usually the ng is distinct but occasionally it isn't, I haven't noticed a pattern to it. I've been getting help from a friend, maybe it's just her but it's hard to know unless I'm writing it down and comparing.

An example is 프랑스, I've never heard anyone pronounce the middle syllable as rang, it's always ran.
That at least seems fairly similar to some English dialects. I know there's a good few British accents which drop a g off an ng when at the end of the word, and while middle-of-the-word drops aren't as common my own accent occasionally means dropped double-consonants, like with bottle, for example.

Revenant Threshold fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Apr 29, 2012

Raeg
Jul 7, 2008

The top 1% of ducks have control of 99.9% of the bread.

Archer2338 posted:

No, the "standard" romanization system we use tend to translate the ㄱs as Ks. IE: the surname 김 is Kim although it's really pronounced "Ghim" in Korea. Not sure what the reasons for that are, but it does get rid of the ambiguity of the G in English - IE, if you had "Gim" as the translation for 김, some might pronounce it as "jim" or something. I personally think using the G is better than K, but I really don't know why the official one is like that.
I say official because at least on passports, 김 is Kim.

Weirdly, this doesn't seem unique to Korea, g and k end up the same way in Thailand too.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
I am in no way a teacher, so take what I'm about to say with a grain of salt. If you really want to learn Hangul/Korean, there are better resources out there. I'd recommend a video or at least an audio reference so you can hear the sounds clearly, because that helps a lot.

I'd also not worry too much about memorization tricks, like "Oh, how do I remember the difference between this character and that character and what sound they make?" It's like remembering the difference between a B and a D, or an N and an M. They kinda look similar, but you don't need tricks to remember what sound a B makes, do you? Probably because you've used it enough and know it well enough that your brain just knows "That's a loving B. It goes 'buh' you dumb poo poo." and that's all there is to it. Same will apply to Hangul.

At the start, keeping a reference image handy of the characters and their English-sound equivalents is a good idea. It's not like you're taking a test and can't have a cheat sheet. So when you're watching a show and some Hangul comes up, you take a moment to try and read it, and if you get confused, you look at the reference. The time will come when you won't need the reference anymore.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Right, it's not that hard, you just have to practice. Since I live in Korea I have plenty of material to read--I don't understand 99% of it but it's still good practice.

It will take a long time to read it quickly though, I'm over a year into it and it's still slow. It's a very unnatural way to read for an English speaker since it's not just left to right, your eye is moving left-right up-down left-right-down-rightagainsometimes and Korean doesn't use spaces between words consistently like English and yeah. It's a pain. One of my friends was here three years and she said she could read it almost as quickly as English after that much time. I suspect eventually you can start taking in the whole syllable block at once without reading each individual letter.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Apr 30, 2012

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

Grand Fromage posted:

Yeah, there are multiple mistakes in that comic. It's a decent primer but I wonder why the author made a how to guide when he can't even speak it correctly.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
Variety Show Spotlight: Family Outing

Finished: Yes
Episodes: Season 1 - 85, Season 2 - 17
Starring: Yoo Jae Suk, Lee Hyori, Daesung, Park Ye Jin, Kim Soo Ro, Yoon Jong-Shin, Lee Chunhee, many guest stars
Available: Fansubs

A group of funny famous people travel around Korea, house-sitting for elderly folks in rural areas, spending 1 night and 2 days (heeeey...) doing whatever chores are laid out for them and playing games along the way.

That may be the simplest show summary I will EVER be able to write up for a show in this thread. That's seriously all you need to know. Everything else, like the dynamics between the casts and the recurring themes and the fact that the show is goddamned hilarious and a predecessor to other shows you might already be familiar with are just icing on the cake.

Unfortunately, this also seems to be one of the earliest examples of Korean programming getting the fansub treatment. Because of that, most of the videos are only available at lower quality, which back in the day was known as "normal quality."

On top of that, there's no real dedicated group for the show, and it is/was rather a patchwork list of people subbing handfuls of episodes or the odd show here or there based on guests or based on having nothing better to do, making some episodes fairly difficult to locate, especially since Megaupload was shut down.

BUT it's worth finding the episodes you can and watching them. And who knows? Maybe we can get ourselves a ragtag group of translators and fill in those gaps or something.

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

Is DDD basically the only place that has a decent library of Infinity Challenge subs? I caught the yes/no special and saw that they haven't started part 2 of it yet. Same deal with the telepathy special, wanted to check that one out as well.

I've tried googling it and know it's on kshownow, but that option has very little.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
Oh for fucks sake. I can't believe it took me so long to realize why this Gag Concert sketch is called "Praying Mantis Kindergarten" and why the main guy's character is Praying Mantis. I feel like such a loving idiot.

But also, Praying Mantis Kindergarten is an amazing sketch. I also like Fashion No. 5 as a sort of successor to Handsome CSI.

strangeless
May 8, 2007

I say money, money, money, and I say hot dog! I say yes, no and I say money, money, money and I say turkey sandwich and I say jet fuel can't melt steel beams.

Jamesman posted:

Oh for fucks sake. I can't believe it took me so long to realize why this Gag Concert sketch is called "Praying Mantis Kindergarten" and why the main guy's character is Praying Mantis. I feel like such a loving idiot.

But also, Praying Mantis Kindergarten is an amazing sketch. I also like Fashion No. 5 as a sort of successor to Handsome CSI.

Praying Mantis Kindergarten was my favorite sketch when KBS stopped subbing them. Something particularly amazing is that Choi Hyojong had a section criticizing politics that got national attention from a politician that skyrocketed him into super-stardom over night.

That combined with the Answers for Sticky Situations corner, which is pretty consistently mimicked on other variety programs, really put him as one of the top GC men. He's pretty junior too, so - even more interesting.

I really like Fashion No. 5 but it didn't stick around long. I looked for one of the songs to make my ringtone but couldn't read any of the Korean sites that popped up to find a D/L link.

I really miss Gag Concert and wish KBS would pick it up where they left off... I like seeing the corners mature and how they change, if ever.

Other favorite corners are Hidden Truths and the one with the same guy where he's the cultural asset who does old children's game things... amazing that my friends and I were doing some of the exact same stuff. And his pronunciation is funny, I think he's talking old style or traditional style or something.

Archer2338
Mar 15, 2008

'Tis a screwed up world

too many adjectives posted:

Other favorite corners are Hidden Truths and the one with the same guy where he's the cultural asset who does old children's game things... amazing that my friends and I were doing some of the exact same stuff. And his pronunciation is funny, I think he's talking old style or traditional style or something.
Yeah, he is talking like that. He sounds like the old "living heritage" people (ie, traditional artists, musicians, etc) who sometimes speak against the Westernization and the loss of old Korean culture. Except that he's exaggerating it hilariously.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Praying Mantis Kindergarten was my favorite sketch when KBS stopped subbing them. Something particularly amazing is that Choi Hyojong had a section criticizing politics that got national attention from a politician that skyrocketed him into super-stardom over night.

That combined with the Answers for Sticky Situations corner, which is pretty consistently mimicked on other variety programs, really put him as one of the top GC men. He's pretty junior too, so - even more interesting.

I really like Fashion No. 5 but it didn't stick around long. I looked for one of the songs to make my ringtone but couldn't read any of the Korean sites that popped up to find a D/L link.

I really miss Gag Concert and wish KBS would pick it up where they left off... I like seeing the corners mature and how they change, if ever.

Yeah, I remember Hyojong as kind of a non-entity who did a previous character demonstrating why a woman's current boyfriend was better than what their ideal man would be, and then he kind of disappeared. Now he showed up doing Iffy Situations and that character in Praying Mantis Kindergarten, and he's knocking it out of the park. Dude owns.

Uncomfortable Truth also owns, and I like how they're taking it a step further with the host facing his own uncomfortable truths when confronting the people acting out the situations, and how they're continuing to explore that. Gives the sketch another little facet and some more life to it.

Sucks to hear Fashion No. 5 doesn't last too long. I've liked Anna Heo since I first saw her, and who doesn't love a good sketch about ridiculous costumes? All the girls in that sketch are pretty great with their prop comedy, so I'm hoping they at least found other roles on the show.

Other sketches that own include Discoveries of Life and (the oddly translated) Final Weapon Her. Please tell me these keep lasting.

strangeless
May 8, 2007

I say money, money, money, and I say hot dog! I say yes, no and I say money, money, money and I say turkey sandwich and I say jet fuel can't melt steel beams.

Jamesman posted:

Other sketches that own include Discoveries of Life and (the oddly translated) Final Weapon Her. Please tell me these keep lasting.

Final Weapon Her was on last episode I watched. The best part about Discoveries of life is watching Shin Bora stuff her face. Also... what's the deal with her being on music bank last weekend? KBS America runs the current episode untranslated pretty close to regular airdate and then translated ones maybe 3-4 weeks behind.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Final Weapon Her was on last episode I watched. The best part about Discoveries of life is watching Shin Bora stuff her face. Also... what's the deal with her being on music bank last weekend? KBS America runs the current episode untranslated pretty close to regular airdate and then translated ones maybe 3-4 weeks behind.

Are you talking about Brave Guys, by any chance?

If so, I THINK the story there is it's a more recent sketch on Gag Concert that doubles as an actual music project.

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.

Lyer posted:

Is DDD basically the only place that has a decent library of Infinity Challenge subs? I caught the yes/no special and saw that they haven't started part 2 of it yet. Same deal with the telepathy special, wanted to check that one out as well.

I've tried googling it and know it's on kshownow, but that option has very little.

ithetimes blog has some subbed episodes that weren't done by DDD, and icsub blog is also working on episodes not covered by DDD, but other than that DDD is the only group working on IC, though they have more than one team now thankfully.

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
I have more of a problem finding raws for Infinity challenge. As previously mentioned, DDD have done the subs for yes/no part 1, but I can't find the raw for that episode anywhere.

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.

sharktamer posted:

I have more of a problem finding raws for Infinity challenge. As previously mentioned, DDD have done the subs for yes/no part 1, but I can't find the raw for that episode anywhere.

There's a thread in the DDD forums with mediafire/rapidshare links to all the raw episodes that have been subbed by DDD, that episode being one of them.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
Drama Spotlight: Boys Over Flowers

Episodes: 25 + 4 bonus stories
Starring: Lee Min Ho, Koo Hye Sun, Kim Hyun Joong, Kim Bum, Kim Joon
Available: Hulu, Netflix, Viki

Geum Jan Di (Hye Sun) is a high school student working at her family's dry cleaning business (and also at a porridge shop). Shinhwa High School is a private school for rich kids. Geum Jan Di does not go there, because her family is not rich.

But who DOES go there? F4; A group of 4 oh-so-handsome boys who literally run the school, and if you dare cross them or if they're bored, they'll deliver a red card to your locker which signals the entire goddamned school to attack you. Which brings us to our story.

Jan Di goes to Shinhwa to deliver some dry cleaning to a boy who just so happens to be the latest target, and is currently deciding that jumping off the school's roof might be a good idea. She saves him, and the whole event goes public and makes the school look kind of bad. To save face, the school gives Geum Jan Di a scholarship. As you might expect, having a poor girl in a rich school, as well as someone who likes to challenge the rule of the F4 results in all kinds of drama. And what drama it is.

It's ridiculous, but it's also cute and charming if you allow yourself to get into it. I think it's safe to call this show a soap opera for teenage girls, but it's a good soap opera for teenage girls. It's not for everyone, but I think there's enough here to like on one level or another for it to be worth checking out.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
Drama Spotlight: My Princess

Episodes: 16
Starring: Kim Tae Hee, Song Seung Hun, Park Ye Jin, Ryu Soo Young
Available: Hulu, Netflix, Viki

Lee Seol (Tae Hee) is a DELIGHTFUL college student overflowing with charm. She has a crush on her professor (Soo Young), who teaches and studies the history of Korea. His ex-girlfriend, Oh Yoon Joo, (Ye Jin) is a curator at a museum owned by the Dae Han group, a conglomerate of which her fiancee, Park Hae Young, (Seung Hun) is the heir to.

Hae Young's grandfather desires to restore the royal family line, by locating the last relative of Korea's last emperor. That person, it turns out, is Lee Seol. However, his plans to restore the royal line include turning over all his wealth to her, which Hae Young is none too happy about, so he and Yoon Joo actively try to prevent the restoration from happening.

Meanwhile, Lee Seol finds herself conflicted with the sudden revelation of her background and new responsibilities, and often seeks her professor's advice and guidance. Of course, if it was as simple as two people on one side, two on the other, this wouldn't be a very interesting drama.

Hae Young doesn't have any ill feelings towards Lee Seol, just the situation, and his position of looking after her and being close to her makes him conflicted in loving her over to maintain his status. Yoon Joo, on the other hand, doesn't feel as bad about being a dick, which strains their relationship and continues to twist a knife in the heart of her ex-boyfriend. Things only get more complicated from there when the President is factored into the mix, as well as Lee Seol's adopted sister.

Even if this show wasn't any good, Kim Tae Hee would carry it. When the show needs to be serious and moving, she can handle it perfect, but when the show needs to be silly and Lee Seol needs to be a slightly-goofy care-free college-aged girl? Man, does she ace it. Her movements, reactions, facial expressions, even the tone of her voice are all hammed up to just the right level. She's beautiful, charming, and funny.

Then you factor in Seung Hun, who plays the straight man or playful antagonist to Lee Seol as needed to great comedic effect, and on the serious side, his conflicting feelings for losing everything or forcing someone else to give up everything, especially someone as cute as Kim Tae Hee.

THEN factor in everyone else and the interesting story, and it's a pretty drat good show that is really worth watching.

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

Awwwwww yeah:

quote:

As mentioned in previous articles, Hip hop duo Leessang, who completely killed the digital charts last year, has announced that they’ll be returning with their eighth studio album this month!

Ahead of their album’s release on May 25th, the duo will be pre-releasing one of the tracks on the 18th. Although the members have been busy with individual schedules and variety programs, they’ve been diligently working on their return.

http://www.allkpop.com/2012/05/leessang-to-make-their-eighth-album-comeback-this-month

I had no idea they were working on it and I'm pretty hyped. The type of hip-hop they make, I really enjoy. May is shaping out to be a really good month entertainment wise.

Archer2338
Mar 15, 2008

'Tis a screwed up world
Don't forget IU is releasing another album (mini or full, I forget) this month as well - on the 11th, IIRC.

One of the songs, "Peace" was released a few days back and it's pretty great. IU composed it herself, and it showcases her lovely voice pretty well and is not one of the run-of-the-mill popsongs that are too common and don't match IU very well. If the other songs on the album are as good, it'll be a great one as well.

Of course, I am going to unconditionally buy Leesang's album just because the last one was pretty awesome, filled with good songs, and the duo are great people to boot. :v:

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
It seems like Kim Tae Hee is one of those Korean paragons of beauty that actually deserve their title.

The news of a new LeeSang album news is fantastic. I'm seriously hyped for it, their last album was absolutely incredible.

futurememory
Oct 22, 2011

"You're a bad man! You're a VERY bad man!"
Jamesman, I just wanted to let you know that your spotlights are not done in vain. There are a bunch of us that lurk this thread, and I've been carefully noting all the series that you've highlighted. I've been going through a lot of Gaki stuff (from the Japanese thread), but I plan on tackling some of the bigger Korean stuff soon.

It's pretty interesting how different Japanese and Korean variety shows are, while still retaining a lot of similar characteristics.

futurememory fucked around with this message at 18:53 on May 9, 2012

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

futurememory posted:

Jamesman, I just wanted to let you know that your spotlights are not done in vein. There are a bunch of us that lurk this thread, and I've been carefully noting all the series that you've highlighted. I've been going through a lot of Gaki stuff (from the Japanese thread), but I plan on tackling some of the bigger Korean stuff soon.

It's pretty interesting how different Japanese and Korean variety shows are, while still retaining a lot of similar characteristics.

That's good to know. Sometimes it just feels like I'm writing them for myself, especially when it comes to the drama spotlights.

I'd love for people to post some thoughts on some of these shows if they've previously watched them or are starting to watch them now, because they're worth talking about.

While I'm at it, does anyone have any thoughts on any shows that might warrant their own threads. I've been contemplating a City Hunter thread ever since I started watching it, but had always put it off for a few reasons.

Corn Thongs
Feb 13, 2004

I don't think any dramas are worth making threads since they're so short. Even if they're great, after it's over the thread will peter out and die. Just spotlights in this thread would be good, I think.

My thoughts on Boys Before Flowers and My Princess: cute shows, but kind of hard to watch for me. I especially couldn't watch Boys - got halfway through and just couldn't do it anymore. It's too much of the "I love you but I'm a stubborn coy idiot so I'm gonna act like I hate you" stuff. I like shows where the characters are more honest about their feelings (why I loved Secret Garden).

ChevyY?
May 11, 2006

He may be small but only in size.
Regarding Family Outing, second to Running Man it was my favorite variety show. The chemistry between the cast was something else.

I came across this gem if anyone needs any more persuading. It's called the Saranghae Game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cASMFSUdxCk

The Finn
Aug 27, 2004

إنه أصلع في الأسفل، كما تعلم

Corn Thongs posted:

I don't think any dramas are worth making threads since they're so short. Even if they're great, after it's over the thread will peter out and die. Just spotlights in this thread would be good, I think.

This, please keep all drama spotlights in this thread, thank you posting friends

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Corn Thongs posted:

It's debatable how long a thread would last, and if a short thread means a worthless thread. Having a "Let's Watch" for a show with 16+ episodes would last for a few months at least, and have people talking in greater detail about a show. It's not unheard of for there to be threads for short-lived and/or already-finished shows, and the forum encourages people to make threads for shows you like if ones don't yet exist.

So I'm not convinced it wouldn't be a good idea. However, I don't have any plans to go ahead with a City Hunter thread until/unless I have a more concrete plan. Same goes for any other show.

quote:

My thoughts on Boys Before Flowers and My Princess: cute shows, but kind of hard to watch for me. I especially couldn't watch Boys - got halfway through and just couldn't do it anymore. It's too much of the "I love you but I'm a stubborn coy idiot so I'm gonna act like I hate you" stuff. I like shows where the characters are more honest about their feelings (why I loved Secret Garden).

BOF is definitely not for everyone, since it is pretty drat ridiculous, but I'd suggest giving My Princess another shot. How far did you get into that one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
I got an e-mail from a casting agency saying they're looking for 2NE1 "superfans" for a new online program MTV is putting together where people talk about their favorite musicians. May or may not be worth noting.

• Locked thread