Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

Thanks for the list Archer, definitely going to be checking those out before I jump into 2011. Qbert's list in the RM thread (drat we really needed this general catch all thread), encompasses the episodes in 2011?

E: Or was that you? I can't remember, was going to dig it up once I actually started on IC. :v:

Lyer fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Apr 6, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

Jamesman posted:

It looks like MBC plans to cancel We Got Married, since the ongoing labor strike has put new episodes on indefinite hold.

Now I'll never get fixed up with 2NE1. :cry:

I don't know anything about the politics and the way their entertainment industry is run, but if the strike were to get resolved at some point down the line, couldn't they just start up the show again? It's fairly popular right?

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

Not sure if this is the thread to post in, but dammmmnnnnn:

http://www.allkpop.com/2012/04/t-aras-eunjung-robbed-of-23000-euros-in-italy

quote:

T-ara‘s Eunjung has been robbed of a staggering, 23,000 Euros (~ $30,078 USD) while in Italy.

During T-ara’s stay in Italy, Eunjung was put in charge of managing the budget for T-ara and Core Content Media‘s new seven-member girl group.

It has been reported that on April 12th at 5PM, Central European Time, the group took a short break during their photo shoot at a cathedral square in Milano. At this time, Eunjung went to purchase some coffee when she was mugged, losing her handbag to a thief. Although 23,000 Euros were lost from the unfortunate incident, the members’ passports were kept by a different staff member, which is a huge relief.

Regarding the accident, Eunjung expressed grief and sadly stated, “I’m so sorry to T-ara and the other seven members. I will reimburse the money when I return to South Korea.” Meanwhile the other members expressed, “She did her best as our guide. She was robbed while she was working hard, so it’s ok.”

Eunjung also expressed her gratitude to her fellow members who comforted her after the accident, stating, “We were able to successfully complete the filming due to the other members who stood by and comforted me.”

However, one staff member revealed what happened behind the scenes. “After the filming was finished, Eunjung went back to the hotel and cried all night,” he stated.

I was under the impression that idols at least have their managers go with them everywhere and why the gently caress did anyone think it was a good idea to have 30k worth of cash in 1 purse (with the idols no less)? Someone's head is going to roll once they get back to Korea, knowing that insane CEO of theirs.

I'm bettin' she set that poo poo up so T-ara could buy food to actually eat. :v:

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

I'm pretty sure someone seeing a girl that's probably 5'1, wearing designer clothes, with a fancy designer purse by herself as a pretty easy target to rob. I'm honestly more shocked that they didn't have any security or have a staff member accompany her.

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

General TV question, but since it's so prevalent in Korean TV shows, I figured I'd ask. Do the TV shows recycle laugh tracks and various other "sound effects"? If not do they just get a group of people/employees to record some of that stuff?

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

So is the main group that's doing Infinity Challenge subs gone? I haven't been able to visit their site for a few days now.

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

Well poo poo, I can't connect to it on my computer or my ipad, but can get to their site just fine on my phone. Did they just do a blanket ip ban on my address? Weird.

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

If they did this for SNSD, it would probably be one of the highest rated shows.

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

Speaking of SNSD...

quote:

It looks like the rumors surrounding Girls’ Generation and their proposed sub-unit are true! The 9-member group has just announced that three of its members, Seohyun, Tiffany, and Taeyeon, will be joining forces to create a new sub-group called “Taetiseo“, and their first mini-album has been entitled “Twinkle”.

Judging by the released concept picture, it looks like the three members will be showing off something completely unexpected! The vibrant colors are the focus of their new concept, and the mini-album will feature songs that highlight the three girls’ powerful voices and deep emotional range. The group name, Taetiseo, is presumably a reference to the names of the three group members – Taeyeon, Tiffany, and Seohyun.

http://www.allkpop.com/2012/04/girls-generation-announces-their-sub-unit-taetiseo

:stare: That is so loving weird, it reminds me of high fructose corn syrup for some reason.

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

saintonan posted:

Jessica

Busy being absolutely fabulous. She is one of the most photogenic celebrities I've ever seen. Not necessarily the best looking, but she looks great in almost every photo. Seriously though, I wonder just what the hell she's doing when every other member is busy with poo poo. There's just no way her company would let her do nothing this entire time right?

Also caught this extra tidbit:

quote:

SM Entertainment officially announced the creation of this new subunit on April 19th. They said in a statement, “Girls’ Generation’s subunit will feature the various talents of each Girls’ Generation member by changing the members of the unit according to the music and concept of each new subunit album. This subunit will aim to grab the attention of fans with all aspects of music, performance, and fashion styles.”

This actually sounds pretty cool; rotating members (that can't get acting gigs hah) into the sub group and pump out some singles here and there, all the while keeping them relevant/fresh in the minds of people.

Selane posted:

edit: Haha, I just noticed how terrified Seohyun looks in that pic. 'What have you done to meeee?'

Haha yeah, that concept is like the complete opposite of the type of person she is. I guess that's why it's a jarring picture for me.

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

saintonan posted:

Just when you think Sunny is all aegyo and chicken catching, she does something like this. She can hold her own with any of the others in the group, I think only Taeyeon is clearly more talented.

:stare: Wow yeah, only Taeyeon is better and I think she's on the same level as Jessica (and then everyone else). I had some inkling she was more capable from her ad-libs on TV shows, but had no idea she was this good. SM is totally wasting her talent in SNSD by making her sing in that high pitched voice for all the group songs.

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

sharktamer posted:

It's not the whole group, but the Happy together episode with Narsha and Ga-in is a great one.

Do you know the episode number? I tried searching for it on youtube and only found clips. Is the the same episode that has Kim Jong Kook as a guest as well? If so, it's a must watch for me. :v:

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

General question about Korean culture/pop culture as well, but how is North Korea viewed by the public? I know the American media portrays North Korea as a huge concern and threat to the states, but I'm curious as to how the people living right next door to it think.

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

T. Couchfucker posted:

Everyone in BEG is cool & talented as poo poo and all their solo stuff is excellent.

Spot on with the group stuff and Miryo's album. I think musically, they're my favorite k-pop group. Haven't had a chance to check out the other's solo stuff, are they as good as Miryo's album? I liked all the songs on that one.

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

Is DDD basically the only place that has a decent library of Infinity Challenge subs? I caught the yes/no special and saw that they haven't started part 2 of it yet. Same deal with the telepathy special, wanted to check that one out as well.

I've tried googling it and know it's on kshownow, but that option has very little.

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

Awwwwww yeah:

quote:

As mentioned in previous articles, Hip hop duo Leessang, who completely killed the digital charts last year, has announced that they’ll be returning with their eighth studio album this month!

Ahead of their album’s release on May 25th, the duo will be pre-releasing one of the tracks on the 18th. Although the members have been busy with individual schedules and variety programs, they’ve been diligently working on their return.

http://www.allkpop.com/2012/05/leessang-to-make-their-eighth-album-comeback-this-month

I had no idea they were working on it and I'm pretty hyped. The type of hip-hop they make, I really enjoy. May is shaping out to be a really good month entertainment wise.

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

qbert posted:

Funniest thing I saw today: Jessica from SNSD throwing the opening pitch at a baseball game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PEGgm8nZ7ok

Skip ahead to 1:10.

Oh god, I just laughed out loud in the middle of my office. Someone needs to .gif that and it'll basically describe Jessica in a nutshell.

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

Amazing, thank you kid sir. I really thought she was going to have a killer pitch, with the wind up and everything. I love how the catcher just starts walking off nonplussed.

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

reflir posted:

Is this episode subtitled anywhere? I really like that show

Probably not for a while, I'm still waiting on the one with Suk Jin and HaHa in it.

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

Famous TV Dad posted:

Haha they showed this on today's Pardon the Interruption.

Haha, poor girl. At least she's getting exposure on american tv. :v:

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

What's funny is I live about 5-10 minutes away from the venue and if you go north aof where I am for about 5 minutes, it's cold and cloudy.

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

At least when they're performing, they're doing something they've done thousands of times. Talking in front of that many people, well... However when they look that good, I don't really care. :v:

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

No way Kara does only 1 song. Outside of SNSD they're the biggest group right?

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

Jamesman posted:

Well, huh. The collab was... not a collab. It was just the two separate solo stages. What confusing wording.

At least Seohyun was there looking super cute as a rock girl. :)

That part was...odd.

Kara killing it right now though.

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

Ouuu SNSD, the feed is starting to poo poo out though.

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

Ou Mr. Taxi, I did not expect them to do this one.

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

Whelp, I saw what I wanted to see and don't really like enough of the rest to watch it in super nintendo graphics, I'll probably rewatch when it's rehosted. I'm glad things went well for the most part, sucks that Jessica's mic was out for most of Gee.

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

Our favorite variety show starring rappers have released another song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9vKfVAd1-o&feature=player_embedded

I like this one better than the one they released last week. On a completely unrelated note, Seohyun's english is really, really good. :stare:

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

I'm guessing Taeyeon has a huge fear of bugs. It's only a moth, but she keeps on flinching at it. Still cute as poo poo though. drat they haven't gotten any rest at all have they? Concert on Sun, Mon, fly back on Tues-Wed, and promoting on Thurs. Not to mention music core filming on Fri.

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

For those of you who care (mostly me), DDD has released the 2nd part of the Yes or No Infinity Challenge special, among other things.

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

Wow this sounds interesting, when did it air?

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

So SNSD has a new teaser out for their Japanese single that's going to come out and it's pretty loving boss. I would have never used the words badass with them, but the shot walking down the hallway and as a group is pretty much that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWJhAW-g1p8

I wonder if this means we won't be seeing them on our favorite TV shows since they'll be in Japan promoting.

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

So I've been watching a few eps of Infinity Challenge and I'll say that it's a better show than Running Man, but not as entertaining. The challenges and concepts of the show really are amazing. I think I like IC for the same reason why I liked IY1, the cast interactions sprinkled with some pretty neat activities. I will say that seeing HaHa on IC is really weird for me, he seems so very normal. YJS seems very reserved as well, more of an MC in this show. I think it's just the tone of the different casts though, RM seems more energetic. It's also *much* harder to get into IC in my opinion, the episodes are not nearly self contained.

The comedy style of the show is completely different; it's not as structured as RM's is. It feels a lot more "improv", rather than people trying to be outright entertaining. On RM the cast members play up a certain role, on IC it seems like they're mostly being themselves and are just hanging around and shooting the poo poo. I think because RM has more clearly defined rules and expectations, it sets up the punchline more effectively (so to speak). An example would be in RM all of them could be tasked to finish a challenge together and there is a spy they don't know about. Whereas in IC, they'd be free to finish it however they wanted; together or by back stabbing each other outright. The way RM sometimes has things setup, makes the cast members in direct opposition to each other, just seems there isn't a lot of opportunity for IC to do so. I.E. cast members actively trying to prevent a task being done in RM vs. cast members fighting each other to do a task first.

However trying to watch Infinity Challenge is an exercise in frustration, the group that's subbing it is all over the place and absolutely no one streams the show in a consistent manner. I've given up on the show about 3 times just because of all the hoops you have to jump through to watch it. I'm currently watching the wresting special, and my only option to watch the last part is to download an 800 meg video file. While the entire first parts are streamable, really god drat frustrating.

Lyer fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Jun 30, 2012

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

http://www.allkpop.com/2012/07/mbc-labor-union-announces-end-to-strike-normal-broadcast-on-the-18th

Related to this thread:

quote:

After a half-year of uncertainty, the MBC labor union has announced an end to the 170-day strike, the longest in broadcast history.

The decision was made after a union members’ meeting at the MBC headquarters located in Yeouido on the 17th. All MBC broadcasts will return to normal beginning on July 18th at 9:00 AM KST.

I am sad that they didn't achieve what they set out to do, but I don't blame them, a man's gotta eat. Hopefully things work out for the better.

Looks like I'm going to have to start watching the HaHa vs. Hong Chul arc for IC, since the conclusion is what they're probably going to air first. If kshownow decides to sub it on a regular basis (I can' see why they wouldn't it's one of the most popular shows in Korea) now would be a good time to jump in, considering the only option to watch previous episodes is a mess and new IC eps would have have to start fresh.

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

Now this is Korean drama I can get behind. :v:

I think that the other girls are just utterly frayed by being drat near worked to death for years and this is just the straw that broke the camels back. They're probably just lashing out at whatever they can.

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

She's pretty talented yeah? From what I've read, she seems to be the one of the most talent in T-ara right? Some other agency should pick her up, since she's already got an existing fanbase.

I also think this is pretty much the end for T-ara as a "top tier" k-pop group; this entire mess has been really ugly and honestly this is what they'll be remembered for. I don't think the stigma of this situation will ever go away.

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

Pretty much, basically most of the fans have her back at this point and if she's going down, she could take CCM with her.

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

Wow the backtracking has made this situation even more entertaining. Holy poo poo. In any other agency's hands, T-ara would probably be giving SNSD a run for their money in the k-pop world. That is one terribly run company. I'm pretty disappointed in the T-ara members myself, although I wonder how much of it is them just not liking her and how much of it is the toxic atmosphere.

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

daaaaaayyyyaaaaam:

http://www.allkpop.com/2012/07/t-aras-former-back-up-dancer-claims-jiyeon-once-slapped-hwayoung

quote:

“I am a member of Hot Chicks, an exclusive dance team for T-ara, and am also working with Davichi, KARA, Brown Eyed Girls, Rainbow Pixie, and more.
It was around the time the Japanese concert took place. We were getting big with our “Lovey Dovey” shuffle dance after Hwayoung was admitted, and getting ready to perform “Roly Poly” for our year-end performance.

During one of the rehearsals, it was a situation where Kwang Soo had jam-packed our schedules, so both the dancers and the members of T-ara who had just completed their day’s work were extremely sensitive and on edge.

Still, everyone was mustering up their last bit of strength and practicing, when Hwayoung messed up a little bit of the choreography.

Seeing this, Jiyeon and Soyeon then sarcastically scoffed at her, saying, ‘Since you already decided to join, you should maybe work a little harder.’

Hwayoung then became a little depressed, but the dance leader mediated the situation and the rehearsal resumed.

But Hwayoung maintained an uncomfortable expression on her face, and Jiyeon who saw this slapped Hwayoung across the cheek and told her that because she had come in late to the already-established group T-ara, she needed to act sensibly and to rehearse without that expression on her face.

The atmosphere became extremely tense, and Hyomin took Jiyeon outside, telling her that she should just be the bigger person.

Even after Hwayoung’s ‘exposure’ incident, everyone was indifferent towards her, rather than comforting.

After the incident, T-ara went on hiatus to prepare for “Day By Day” and because of events with Davichi and Brown Eyed Girls, I could only see T-ara on TV.

Seeing them on the small-screen, I thought that the girls’ relationship with Hwayoung had improved, but these girls who are all grown don’t want to sit by her in the car so they blatantly play rock paper scissors right in front of her face.”

Wow, this is like the gift that keeps on giving. Lots of people coming out in support of Hwayoung. I'm wondering if the normal populace has to deal with bullying on a daily basis and they just have to endure that poo poo and are now lashing out. I'm honestly surprised at the level of hate T-ara is getting. Although I wonder how much of it is attributed to the press release of CCM blaming Hwayoung. I bet if they just stated "we have decided to part ways" and no explanation given, it would have been much, much better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

You know, the ironic thing is that KKS might have been *right* about T-ara, regarding them being prideful and disrespectful a few months back. Now when push came to shove, he stuck with his moneymakers, but drat what if he was right all along?

Was there ever a TV drama about idol drama? Because this poo poo is entertaining as all hell.

• Locked thread