Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

Jamesman posted:

Nah. Taeyeon, Tiffany, and Seohyun are the main vocalists, so this is going to be a subgroup to showcase their voices, and definitely not a cute concept.

Well, plus Sunny and Jessica (who had her 23rd birthday this week), but those two are stupid busy doing other things these days. Taetiseo looks more like "hey, here's something to do...".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Jamesman posted:

Their voices are a lot "brighter," and they have a much cuter image. If you had put them in a sub-unit, it would almost definitely be more along the lines of something like Orange Caramel.

Just when you think Sunny is all aegyo and chicken catching, she does something like this. She can hold her own with any of the others in the group, I think only Taeyeon is clearly more talented.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

It also does not have Echo, because Echo is on the Paradise in Phuket DVD and putting it here as well might cut into those sales. It also doesn't have Visual Dreams or Chocolate Love, since those were essentially extended commercials.

Still pretty good, just not as "Complete" as you would think.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

It's far too overprocessed, like 90% of the generic kpop out there. I'm looking forward to the album, though. Just like The Boys, I'm sure there will be good songs there even if the one they actually promote is crap.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Grand Fromage posted:

호박 is also slang for ugly. :eng101:

Hobag is slang for ugly in English too!

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

The whole thing is bewildering, since Beep Beep is better than anything that actually did make the album, and it seems more like a throwaway now. That song would also be ridiculously easy to turn into English (and would be much more coherent than The Boys was), but SM doesn't look like he wants to press the issue.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Porkchop Express posted:

So on the subject of kpop, what the hell makes it so catchy? I mean I am a grown rear end man and I think Girls Generation is fun to listen to, despite the fact that its in a language I don't understand, and if we're an American equivalent I would not enjoy it. Is South Korea full of wizards?

Never underestimate the charisma of nine smoking hot girls. I do think SNSD is slightly higher on the actual talent scale than the rest of K-Pop, but even there there's maybe 15 songs of theirs I actually like, and they're usually not the ones the group performs endlessly on Korean TV. But collectively they have enough charisma to entertain even if the song is completely terrible. It helps that they give the outward impression that they don't take themselves too seriously (that's probably not true), and so there isn't the diva status you typically get from similar Western artists.

saintonan fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Jan 1, 2013

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Baby Maybe is a serious earworm.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Gorilla Salad posted:

Everyone loves misheard song lyric. They'e double fun when they're in a different language.

If you like that kind of stuff, do a youtube search for "buffalaxed", there's several videos done just to play up language pronunciation.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

This is a longshot but tangentially related based on past content in this thread: Is there a way to get a playlist for the SiriusXM Korean music channel (Korea Today, channel 144)? There's a specific song that I heard twice on that channel yesterday but my Korean isn't good enough to pick out more than a handful of the most common words. It's one of the few Korean songs I've heard that's in 6/8 time, though, and that makes it interesting to me. Korea Today's website, Twitter, and Facebook pages haven't been updated in two years now, and I can't find any actual contact information for whoever programs that channel, if it's even those same people anymore.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

EL BROMANCE posted:

Have you tried using Shazam with it? I'm not sure what it's like with non-Western music however.

Shazam had no idea. Fortunately I heard the song again this morning and used a different combination of lyrics to track it down. It's actually more relevant to this thread than I thought, since the song is from an OST. I listen to that station quite a bit, though, so I'm sure this will come up again.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

The hook machine is back. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8j_XEn9b_8

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

The problem is that CL can't rap, and it's killed several of their songs. She's better in the unplugged version, though. Crush is a pretty good album, but they waste a lot of talent trying to do hip hop when they just don't do it that well.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Inkigayo is supposed to have four separate things they use to determine a winner but in the end all the music shows just pick whoever the producer wants to win.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

The song's been done to death, but Ailee really killed it here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOmnfmXlZCc

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Davincie posted:

What's the song in the beginning (2 minutes in) of part 4?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xn425hXWRjk

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Cute n Popular posted:

Ep3 is lots of fun, the whole love thing is a bit forced though. I just want to see a bunch of folks goof off and have fun and not necessarily do anything productive.

Chanyeol and Gayeon are the only interesting people on the show. Everyone else is trying way too hard. I'm hoping it's a temporary case of actors thinking like they have to play the role of a more interesting version of themselves, but it's tiresome.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

You can very clearly tell who's been coached for this series (Chanyeol especially), who are just naturally likeable (Sungwoo, Sora), and who are trying way too hard (jesus christ Jo Se Ho stop with this poo poo). I think it has some potential to be interesting, but it's getting absolutely killed in the ratings so it may never get the chance.

saintonan fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Jun 4, 2014

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

I'm not sure if it's for weight loss or to help with idols' 22-hour-a-day schedules. Either way it's not shocking at all.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

I stopped watching after the World Cup episode. That show is far too long for as little as actually happens.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Sadly, she didn't pull through.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Subyng posted:

Wait, what are you talking about here? FM date?

That's Sunny's radio program.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

All there are are rumors at this point.

-----
KoreaBoo translated article from Dispatch that explains why she would leave the group:

Dispatch has released a list of 5 reasons and insights, according to their media outlet and their insiders, as to why Girls' Generation Jessica may be kicked out of the group.

The list explains her desires and hopes to become a fashionista, and even attend school in the US for fashion. Her relationship with Tyler Kwon has also caused a massive strain on the girls' relationships, according to the media outlet.

#1.

At (their) actions, in the eyes of the other members, the two were unacceptable. A representative of Girls' Generation stated, 'We hoped that she would put in all her efforts and time into Girls' Generation promotions, but Jessica does not know how to tell the difference between work (public) and personal affairs.

The conflicts and dissension between Jessica and the other members began around August. It was after Jessica launched her fashion brand, 'BLANC.' Jessica even launched a line of sunglasses through the brand. At the center of 'BLANC' is Tyler Kwon. He is the largest shareholder and investor in the brand and has also maintained attracting most of the income.

Of course, Jessica has invested much of her own money into the business as well. Neither SM Entertainment nor the Girls' Generation members were opposed to Jessica's business. However, they did express that putting (the business) before (Girls' Generation) was a difficult problem. So all in all, 'BLANC' should be side business, not the main business."

Jessica had a dream of living as a designer. She is currently getting ready to attend an American design school. To attend an American school, one needs to take the SATs. However, she planned to show her portfolio instead. In order for this to happen, she had no choice but to put all her time into her current design brand. One representative has stated, 'We can understand her designing as she promotes as a member of Girls' Generation. But we are against her using the Girls' Generation brand to live (better) as a designer.'

There are a lot of concerns that (Jessica's) promise with her fans will be running into massive problems as well. In actuality, Girls' Generation will be holding fanmeets for about three months beginning September 30 until January 4th, 2015. There are conclusions being made questioning whether or not long-term fanmeet tours, such as the one mentioned above, will be difficult to carry on if Jessica continues to focus on her personal business (rather than Girls' Generation promotions). Even Jessica has been experiencing friction with the deciding of her daily/weekly schedules. One of Girls' Generation's representatives stated, "We have asked Jessica regarding her stay or departure (from the group). From what I know, she has said that she cannot give either one up. I don't think she knows how to choose between the two."

It seems as though she finds herself in an unfair position, as if she thinks that she has given her all into being part of (Girls' Generation). (She finds) that being suggested the idea of leaving the group was an unacceptable and irrational thing to do. Currently, Jessica's agency staff and members are all awaiting her decision. Once she decides to choose "Girls' Generation", then Girls' Generation must become her #1 priority. In the end, all that matters is Jessica's sincerity. Right now, in the eyes of her members, Tyler Kwon and BLANC are Jessica's first and foremost priority. Because of this, these conflicts are now blowing out of proportion.

-----

SNSD has been stagnant ever since they aborted the attempt to enter the US market after The Boys flopped in the US. Realistically, what is there left for them to do as a group? I can totally understand branching out into new things.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Yeah but I got a Boy was huge.

They could put out an album of them reading phone books in Korean and it would chart where IGAB did. Nothing in IGAB was in English, and that's really the only market that would be breaking new ground at all. Charting on the US World list is not the same as the US Hot 100. Anything else is the same thing over again, and who wants to do 20 hour promotion days for a month just to do what they've already done before?

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

So according to Jessica, it wasn't SM but the SNSD members themselves that gave Jessica the ultimatum to quit BLANC or leave SNSD, then when she didn't choose, they forced her hand.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

qbert posted:

SM has never been in the right in any previous artist dispute. Why do people keep forgetting this?

I don't think anyone is championing SM here. This is just looking more and more like a '8 other members vs Jessica' dispute, rather than SM vs Jessica or SM vs SNSD.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

EvilElmo posted:

So whats with the hardon for the joseon period being the only period they make shows in?

To oversimplify a little bit, Korea and Koreans have been poo poo on for the vast majority of their existence, and the Joseon period is when they were poo poo on less than usual. That makes it the least depressing era to make period pieces from.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Kegslayer posted:

I thought Joseon was suppose to be some kind of golden age/Renaissance where you had a bunch of social reforms, military victories, scientific advancements etc including the development of Hangul, the Korean phonetic alphabet.

History's a little more complicated than that, hence my oversimplification. What advances did or didn't take place is still somewhat controversial, but the general idea is that if there is a period of "glory" for Korea, it's the middle 15th century.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Kind of disturbing how much Conan O'Brien in that makeup looks like Ted Cruz.

• Locked thread