Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
I am a big baby who will take this to PM now.

Jamesman fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Apr 8, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Corn Thongs posted:

Holy hell, drama over who makes a thread about Korean TV :psyduck:

You might even say that the TRUE Korean drama is the one that's taking place in this thread! :smug: But I'll just apologize and say I'm taking it to PM to talk about it in a way that's not stupid and childish and hopefully we'll all be happy.

I'll also start a write-up of a couple shows soon.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
I still like my picture though.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
Drama Spotlight: CITY HUNTER

Finished: Yes
Episodes: 20
Quick Note: Unlike American shows, scripted television in Korea typically runs for a single season of 12-24 episodes.
Starring: Lee Min Ho, Park Min Young, Lee Joon Hyuk, Kim Sang Joong
Available: Viki, Hulu, Netflix

This is an adaptation of a Japanese manga, but in the same way that 120 Days of Sodom is an adaptation of the Kama Sutra. The fact that it borrows so little from its source material is a good thing though, because instead of a live-action manga like this, you get a pretty engaging and intense action drama that kicks a lot of rear end.

After the Rangoon Incident, a group of government officials put together a secret mission to retaliate against North Korea by sending a strike team across the border to kill the gently caress out of some commies.

Except they planned this on their own, and only found out after the plan was in action that it was decided there was to be no retaliation for the incident. Uh, oops.

So what happens now? What about those guys over there killing North Koreans? How do you cover that up? Do you just kill them instead of bringing them back ho-

Oh... Ohhhh...

Well, they missed one, and that dude is loving PISSED. So how does he plan to get revenge? Well, he steals a loving baby and disappears to lead a drug cartel in The Golden Triangle for a couple of decades, raising the kid as his super-soldier son. Then when the time is right, unleashing him back into Korea as his sword of vengeance, seeking out the people behind the mission and picking them off one by one.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Xandu posted:

A lot of the plot is rather absurdly good vs evil

It is but it isn't. Obviously, you have Yoon Sung (Min Ho) as good and the guys behind the cover-up as evil, but there's a pretty heavy grey area surrounding all of that with the cast of characters involved and their motivations. In particular, Yoon Sung and Crazy Vengeance Dad Jin Pyo and the conflicts that rise there.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

sharktamer posted:

Seems like a lot of these shows like to use the North-South divide as a plot point. I suppose it is a lingering topic though.

Isn't city hunter the show with Kwang Soo and Go Hara?

I wouldn't say a LOT. City Hunter starts out with the North-South divide as a starting point, but then it's not really a thing after that. It's a jumping-off point to get a secret mission happening, then to cover that mission up, then to get a dude from that mission loving hyped for revenge. North Korea doesn't know what the gently caress.

And yes, Kwangsoo and Goo Hara are in it.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
Variety Spotlight: We Got Married

Finished: No, though couples come and go
Episodes: Unknown
Starring: Varies
Available: Fansubs

It should be noted for those of you not already familiar with Korean celebrities. The majority of them are not terrible wastes of life like you find in most Western celebrities, so things like reality and variety shows are actually NICE shows instead of watching trainwrecks be horrible to one another.

The premise is simple enough; Take two celebrities and put them together to play at being married. Sometimes give them missions or send them places to see how they handle things as a couple. Meanwhile, a cast of hosts and guests provide commentary as they watch the goings on.

The show features a handful of couples at any one time, and will do segments on each of them, but to find a full, subbed episode of the show is extremely rare. Fansubs typically focus on couples relating to what or who those communities already do subs for, so you'll probably end up watching one couple at a time, and never see every couple that's ever been on the show (about 24).

But that's OK, because the couples you DO see are pretty drat enjoyable to watch. Each pairing is unique and their personalities bring out the best in each other, making for some very funny (and sometimes very sweet) moments.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
If it's an idol couple, you can find a fansub for them.

Since I adored Victoria on Invincible Youth, I went straight for Khuntoria Couple and found some decent subs for them. Nichkhun and Victoria are so loving adorable together I was to punch myself in the face.

Right now I'm watching Adam Couple (Jo Kwon and Ga-in), and they start out a bit rougher, but it's still pretty enjoyable. The subs I found are also a bit rough, with sections of dialogue and text left untranslated, but the message gets across. They also have the longest run out of any couples on the show, so there's plenty to watch.

But I doubt I'm going to love them as much as Khuntoria.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
It kind of comes across in the subs I watched, but I don't think it was ever really prominent with either of them for it to really be noticeable in subs or in dialogue.

But I love them. Probably one of the few times in my life where I would see a girl I'm totally into and actively root for her to be with someone who is NOT me. Besides, that leaves me free to be on WGM with 2NE1. They do that, right? Let nobodies from America be in fake marriages with 4 girls at the same time? BECAUSE THEY SHOULD. :mad:

Also I don't know what the general Korean opinion is on gagwomen, but Kim Na Young is totally gorgeous.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
Gagmen/gagwomen are funny people. They're not comedians in the sense that they do stand-up and have comedy specials like your George Carlins and Carrot Tops, nor do they get lovely sitcoms where they play versions of themselves and their names are the show's titles.

They're pretty witty and seem to do lots of physical/prop comedy, and you usually find them as hosts or co-hosts for variety shows or comic relief characters in dramas.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
You have Iris in the "ongoing series" section, but it's finished.

Drama Spotlight: Road No.1

Episodes: 20
Starring: So Ji Sub, Yoon Kye Sang, Kim Ha Neul
Available: Viki, Hulu, Netflix

A pretty intense series taking place over the first year of the Korean War, the show centers around Lee Jang Woo and Kim Soo Yeon. Jang Woo and his father worked as servants for Soo Yeon's family since he was a little boy, and has always loved her. As they grew up, she returned his love.

In order for her to become a doctor and for them to get married and have a family, Jang Woo enlists in the army to earn money. But after she finds out he's been killed in action (and the very much NOT dead Jang Woo unaware of this report), she draws the eye of another soldier, Shin Tae Ho, and eventually the two agree to get married.

But then the NOT dead (and soon-to-be discharged) Jang Woo returns home to find out all of this, and Soo Yeon is now in the middle of two men. Oh, and then war full-on breaks out at their doorstep. In order to protect her, Jang Woo remains in the army, now serving with the scorned Tae Ho.

The paths of the soldiers and the refugees (Soo Yeon) quickly diverge, and so the show ends up following their separate stories as Jang Woo and Tao Ho continue to fight the North (and each other) and try to reunite with Soo Yeon, and Soo Yeon struggles to survive in the world collapsing around her.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
It looks like MBC plans to cancel We Got Married, since the ongoing labor strike has put new episodes on indefinite hold.

Now I'll never get fixed up with 2NE1. :cry:

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
Has anyone besides me watched Road No.1? I'm also curious how our resident Korean citizens felt regarding its accuracy or lack thereof.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

futurememory posted:

What would be some good introductory Korean dramas, do you guys think? I'm thinking of introducing a few to friends, but I don't want something that's overtly alien.

If there's any Korean programming that's "overtly alien," I haven't come across it yet.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
It's my understanding that if you go to Europe, you're going to get loving robbed. It's like a legitimate profession over there.

Also somehow I'm sure this is going to be blamed on her and she will be punished accordingly. Maybe the money will come out of T-ara's paychecks or something stupid.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Mean Bean Machine posted:

What a dumb thing to say.

Because I clearly wasn't exaggerating or anything, and honestly believe the entire continent preys on tourists.

But let's not get too far off track here.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
Variety Spotlight: Oh My School/100 Points out of 100

Episodes: 28
Starring: Park Myung-Soo, Tony Ahn, Park Gyeongrim, Kim Shinyoung (hosts)
Available: Fansubs, Fan captures of international broadcasts with subs already added(!)

A show which struggled with identity and ratings, but a very entertaining show. It began with the concept of young celebrities in a "school" to help them learn and improve within the entertainment industry, but the concept was heavily overshadowed by the cast's natural charisma which resulted in more of a "How can we keep this fun party show within a school theme each week" type of deal.

Eventually, the show went into a very distinct new format, which was almost completely about games and losers getting punishments and had very little to do with "school" except they still sat at desks and dressed somewhat like fashionable students. Still very funny though, especially with the addition of Kim Shinyoung as a host.

But still the show couldn't find an audience or a direction, so they went with something else; Idolt sports championship. A ton of idols representing different provinces competing in various sporting events. After a few episodes of this, the show crashed and burned and was finally canceled.

There were many "students" during the show's short time, and many of them had long, memorable stays. I'm torn between the fact that listing them all would take forever, and not mentioning them is a disservice to how fun they were. Simply put, watch the show.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Archer2338 posted:

Yeah, it's a shame about that show. It was pretty good and it tried a bunch of novel concepts, it's just that it had waaaay too strong competition and not a lot of time to establish a stable format before it was losing too much money for it to continue.

I just wanna know whose dumb idea it was to turn it into a sport competition show, thinking that would somehow be the answer to everything.

Anyway, off the top of my head, here's some of the more notable regulars;

Choi Minho - SHINee's rapper. Known as a "noona killer," he draws the eye of the girls that are older than him.

Simon D - Rapper and member of Supreme Team. Full of himself. Shameless.

Min - Lead vocalist of Miss A. Cute, scrappy, and a powerful dancer. Good friends with Simon D.

Hongki - Lead singer of FT Island. Gets teased a lot (mostly by Simon D), but all in good fun.

Lee Joon - Member of MBLAQ. Known as "Muscle Fool" (all looks and no brains). Insistent he can do good in games but frequently makes an rear end out of himself.

Soyeon - Member of T-ara. Human news outlet. Knows everyone and everything about everyone, including things from before she was born.

Hyosung - Leader of Secret - Bright personality and playful. Smiles a lot, but told to cut back because of how much gum she shows.

Yoseob - Member of B2ST. Can be shown a dance and will replicate it almost instantly. Competetive when other members of his group show up.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

TV Zombie posted:

How can showing gum ever be a bad thing?

It's not. It's just playful teasing, like Hongki gets on the show, although she does have a slightly gummy smile compared to others.

I've been watching more Adam Couple, and I just got to the part where they have to entertain a foreigner. Um, I don't know what Gain was going for, but god drat that was one awkward conversation. "I want to kiss you and take a dump on your chest."

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
There was no "before translation" for that. It's exactly what she says in English. Twice.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

T. Couchfucker posted:

Haha good point, that was stupid of me. iirc she was looking at a phone app and it gave her that phrase to say

One hell of a phone app.

I don't dislike Adam Couple, but the charm is less about them and more about what happens around them, especially with 2AM and BEG as family (I got to the "dinner party" episode, and really, I don't understand why they didn't just pair everyone up as an ongoing couple for the show).

But with Khuntoria, the two of them were just super-cute and it was all about them being cute as gently caress all around the world and it was just the best thing ever, so going into Adam Couple, I was kind of expecting a similar story.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
REALITY Spotlight: 2NE1 TV

Finished: Probably not
Episodes: Not sure, but it's gone on for three seasons so far.
Starring: CL, Bom, Dara, Minzy
Available: 2NE1's Youtube page, fansubs for missing episodes.

The first season of this reality series was actually "YG LIVE," and dealt with the various artists and personalities at YG Entertainment, with 2NE1 being just one of the segments of a larger whole. With the second season, however, the show became "2NE1 TV" and followed them almost exclusively.

It's hard for me to know what to say about this show, with it being a reality series. There's no narrative or plot to speak of, with it just cutting between segments without any real sense of timeline or progression, and just being about the greatest music group in the world (fact) as they do things.

Sometimes it's about their schedule, like performing or shooting a music video or recording songs and whatnot. Sometimes it's just hanging out at their apartment or going shopping. Sometimes it's going on vacation or going to another country. It's all over the place because that's what these girls are all about. And it's awesome.

The girls are unique, charming, funny, smart, and beautiful, and seeing the various events of their lives from the mundane to the extraordinary is very entertaining and endearing to watch with their input. You also get some insight on how things work at YG Entertainment and what it means to be part of the YG Family, which gives you a sense of appreciation for that company, especially when you hear how poo poo some of these other entertainment companies can be.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
I won't say that YG is the greatest person ever, or that the company is flawless, but compared to things like sexual harassment cases, shortchanging music groups on contracts, instating a zero-tolerance policy just in case the talent starts getting too full of themselves, etc., things seem really darn spiffy over there.

I mean, you look at some of the dorms that other idols live in, with them all sharing one room and sleeping on the floor and it looking like a crappy college dorm. Then you look at an episode of 2NE1 TV where they're moving into their new apartment with multiple rooms, and they go to a furniture shop and YG shows up and says "just make a list of whatever you want for the new place and I'll buy it." It's quite a contrast, you know?

Jamesman fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Apr 18, 2012

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

PaganGoatPants posted:

Where is this 2NE1 TV thing?

Season 1 and parts of Season 3 are fansubbed by a couple communities. RoyalAceSubs and YGLadies, I think.

Season 2 in its entirety and most of Season 3 are available on 2NE1's YouTube page, even compiled into playlists.

Since they're reality, you don't need to watch Season 1 before Season 2 or anything like that, and you can even just jump into some episodes because of the scatterbrained nature of the show. It's just them doing their thing.

The pHo posted:

So I guess by the fact I really like Brave Guys' 'Wait and Ready', I'll be adding Gag Concert to the ever increasing list of things to get around to watching...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFxetkH_Y2o

Shin Bora :swoon:

I'm so far behind on Gag Concert, and I wish there was a place that had all the episodes available. Maybe there is and I don't know about it, but I've only ever seen full episodes from the very late 500's onward.

But that show is the loving funniest goddamn show and has some of the most genius and novel concepts for sketches and gags you will ever see, and I have frequently laughed myself to tears from it. That'll be my next writeup for sure.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Selane posted:

On the one hand, they might be taking the Orange Caramel/Rainbow Pixie subgroup route and making it all cutesy since that seems to be somewhat popular.

Nah. Taeyeon, Tiffany, and Seohyun are the main vocalists, so this is going to be a subgroup to showcase their voices, and definitely not a cute concept.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

too many adjectives posted:

Should I just go to 5 different sites to watch the shows I want to see?

Essentially, yes.

The thing is each community is a community for a certain thing, so they only sub shows related to those things. They're protective of their translation work not because of their particular fandom, but because of the effort they put into the work, and they don't want to lose control of it and have someone else host it on an ad site and collect revenue or something off of it.

The closest thing I'm aware of to some sort of central viewing location is ithetime's blog, which reuploads a number of videos to their own YouTube page, I believe with permission, and giving credit to the original subbers.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

saintonan posted:

Well, plus Sunny and Jessica

Their voices are a lot "brighter," and they have a much cuter image. If you had put them in a sub-unit, it would almost definitely be more along the lines of something like Orange Caramel.

TyChan posted:

Hard to have anything but a cute concept when the name is "Twinkle," though.

The album name is Twinkle, not the unit name, unless "Teatiseo" is just a placeholder.

Taeyeon, Tiffany, and Seohyun really belt that poo poo out, and aside from Taeyeon, they're not really known for presenting a lot of cuteness. So you really have to expect music and an image that reflects that.

They should go full-on power ballad and heavy metal, like Devil's Cry

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
I know Sunny can sing. I was just saying that if you were to categorize the vocals for SNSD, she (and Jessica) would be categorized differently from Taeyeon, Tiffany, and Seohyun.

We're talking about style here, not talent, since we were talking about what kind of concept the sub-unit would have.

Also let's just take a moment here to acknowledge how awesome Miryo is.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

T. Couchfucker posted:

Miryo's solo album is outstanding and you should all own it

Import CDs are expensive and digital music doesn't always seem to be distributed by who it's supposed to be. :( But yeah, Miryo is a legit rapper and her music is really loving solid.

Are there any good programs that have BEG together on it, rather than just one of the members?

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

T. Couchfucker posted:

On the program question I'm sure they've been on something as a foursome but nothing variety that I can think of, although there's a good Adam couple double ep. that I'm guessing you haven't gotten to yet.

If you're talking about the BEG/2AM meet dinner party and bowling date, I saw it and it was glorious. I even already posted about it and said they should have made them all official WGM couples.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Archer2338 posted:

I think there's a generational difference as well. The older, 40+ generation tend to be rather emotionally tied to the idea of reunification, as they have lived in an undivided Korea or have been born close enough to '53 to be able to feel its divisive effects. The younger generation are less supportive--they tend to have a more pragmatic, cost-benefit approach. The president recently brought up the idea of a "reunification tax" (income tax that would go towards the fund that would be used for post-reunification reconstruction), but most of the younger generation opposed it because of the astronomical costs that would involve, and the fact that they were having enough trouble living themselves, let alone have to care for NK. The fact that they have been living in a divided Korea for all their lives probably makes them more pragmatic and less prone to thinking of reunification as a supreme "moral" goal to achieve.

As an American, when I root for unification, I mean is not as South Korea taking on the burden of re-absorbing the North and educating and feeding them and whatnot. I think of it more as North Korea remaining a separate entity, just not one ruled by delusion and propaganda, making war threats and being backed by the Chinese.

Opening it up to the world, and having the world, as a whole, make the effort to help the country, and the relations between the north and south would be what's unified. So like, one day, you'll have some South Korean college kids deciding to take a road trip across the border to hit up the north for the weekend, with the attitude an American might have about heading up to Canada.

That's the dream, at least.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
Variety Spotlight: Gag Concert

Finished: No
Episodes: Over 600
Starring: Ya, no way! Think about it. What good will it do for me to list all the people that have been on this show? You probably won't know who they are anyway if you haven't watched it! So I'll say, "Oh! Kim Jimin is on it!" and you say "Oh." But you don't know who that is even though I said their name!

So maybe you look them up on the internet, but it takes you to a Wikipedia page about a Korean football player of the same name. Is he the same Kim Jimin? Is that American football or is it soccer? You don't know!

And then I say "No, the Kim Jimin on Gag Concert is a female." So you look at another link for a Korean actress, but it's for a child actress. And you don't know if that's who I meant, and you start looking at what she's been in, and you don't see Gag Concert listed, but you look at the other stuff she's been in and it sounds neat and you get interested in watching that instead of Gag Concert. And that's just one person! No way! I'm not doing it!

Available: Fan recordings of international broadcasts with subs already added, fansubs(?)

God drat, is this show hilarious. Skit after skit is performed on stage in front of a live audience, ranging from "so-stupid-it's-funny" to "clever-as-poo poo." Many sketches are recurring, but have a shelf life of a couple months before being retired in favor of something new and fresh. Other sketches last longer, maintaining their novelty by having different characters come and go every few months.

You know how SNL has recurring sketches with characters and catchphrases? Think like that, except instead of being terrible and annoying, they're really loving funny.

The only downside is that the official subs by KBS World are pretty poorly done, and some of the sketches don't even have subs for one reason or another. But it still gets the job done and you can watch MOST of the show and laugh your rear end off at it. Which you should be doing. Right now. Go watch it now. If you don't star watching this show... huff! huff! I'll make you sit in a hot car with leather seats while wearing shorts! :mad:

Jamesman fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Apr 25, 2012

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Archer2338 posted:

I think you're talking about Seoulmate. A lot of the humor comes from the regional differences in speech and expression, so I'm not sure how funny the corner is in subtitles.

There's Seoulmate, and then there's one where they teach English or something, but that sketch is still really in Korean so it still really needs subtitles to understand.

I GET what the premises are of the two sketches, but you can't just laugh at them based on getting the concepts, you know? Understanding what they're saying it pretty important. So every show, there's two sketches I skip and get to the ones that have subtitles and are funny to me.

Jamesman fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Apr 25, 2012

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Archer2338 posted:

I think the twins are the favorite cast members of GagCon. Even more so than Kim Jun-Ho. What do you guys think of Kkuk-gi-do (no idea what that's subbed as)? It's getting old for me, but for like the first few times it was the most hilarious non-sensical laughter I've had in ages.

If you don't know what it's called, how can we tell you what we think of it? :( Which sketch is it?

Edit: From what I THINK I've gathered based on sloppy Google Translating from the wiki, it looks like a fairly recent sketch, so I probably haven't even seen it yet. Most recent episode I've watched is 611.

Jamesman fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Apr 26, 2012

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
Yeah, that hasn't come up yet in the episodes I've watched.

It also doesn't sound like it'll translate well at all, given how KBS World does their subs for the show. They just straight-translate all dialogue and ignore important things like honorifics and wordplay.

Kind of takes the punch of out all the cow-related comments from Double Debate.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
Before we forget about Gag Concert, I wanna talk about what may be the greatest sketch: Gym God/Gym Girl.

The concept is super-fit gagman Lee Seungyoon takes two overweight gagwomen (Lee Huigyeong and Kwon Mijin) under his wing and starts training them to lose weight and get healthy. He's also accompanied by his ugly partner, Lee Jonghoon, who is more of less the Gym Devil to his Gym God.

The way I see it, if this sketch concept were done in America, the style would be exclusively on "clumsy fat person eats a lot, falls down, breaks things with their clumsy fat body." Think Chris Farley in everything he did, including dying.

Now some of this does happen here. Jokes are made regarding their weight, and they continue to poke fun about their eating habits and not being able to fit into tight clothes and whatnot, but the TRUE focus of the sketch is that the girls actually DO exercise and DO lose weight, and the real jokes are made out of the trainers and the creatively silly training regimens they present on stage.

So while you may have a joke where the girls are wearing skirts as stomach bands because they don't fit around their hips (yet), you also have jokes about Jonghoon getting dropped on his rear end for annoying them or Seungyoon's head being huge. And then they do a weigh-in and show how much they've lost since the sketch debuted and the audience is really cheering on their progress. It's a really funny, clever, and heartwarming sketch and should really earn an award or something.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
I just started getting to episodes where they start translating Seoulmate. It pretty much just comes off as people acting wacky in not-so-funny ways.

Also seems like the sketch about teaching English came to an end, which is good. But now one of the recurring groups in Superstar KBS is a trio of Hallyu fans from Southeast Asia, China, and the US, which is just as confusing to me as either of those other sketches. And for some reason the guy from the US is a soldier character.

But still, like, 80% of this show translates just fine and is awesome. :)

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

jsun posted:

Also Gain was pretty awesome because she seemed like she didn't take poo poo from anyone. For example, the scene where she said she'd tear off Hyuna's head or something if she was Jo Kwon's previous crush.

And then for their English class, she states she wants to go to Egypt (where the supposed Oh Bang Shil is) for "killing," matter-of-factly.

I liken the style of all four members of BEG to someone like Lee Hyori. Senior idols with a lot of fight in them and little regard for their image, resulting in incredibly fun and awesome (scary) people.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
I've taken an interest in learning the language and more about the culture, but haven't committed to doing anything about that interest beyond learning Hangul and picking up a few words through television.

I didn't think any of the "un-translatable" words were really that confusing; After hearing them the first or second time in context, you typically know what they mean. But if you're really having a hard time understanding some words and their usage, that's what this thread is for.

As for learning stuff, Hangul is ridiculously easy and EVERYONE should learn it just because of how easy it is. I highly doubt there's an easier written language in the world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
I am in no way a teacher, so take what I'm about to say with a grain of salt. If you really want to learn Hangul/Korean, there are better resources out there. I'd recommend a video or at least an audio reference so you can hear the sounds clearly, because that helps a lot.

I'd also not worry too much about memorization tricks, like "Oh, how do I remember the difference between this character and that character and what sound they make?" It's like remembering the difference between a B and a D, or an N and an M. They kinda look similar, but you don't need tricks to remember what sound a B makes, do you? Probably because you've used it enough and know it well enough that your brain just knows "That's a loving B. It goes 'buh' you dumb poo poo." and that's all there is to it. Same will apply to Hangul.

At the start, keeping a reference image handy of the characters and their English-sound equivalents is a good idea. It's not like you're taking a test and can't have a cheat sheet. So when you're watching a show and some Hangul comes up, you take a moment to try and read it, and if you get confused, you look at the reference. The time will come when you won't need the reference anymore.

• Locked thread