Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

That's a pretty bad comic and not accurate at all. Don't learn Hangeul from that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

PitifulLoser posted:

What're the really bad parts in it? I don't really know myself.

I guess not accurate at all is also inaccurate but it's not good. The vowels are weird. Some of them are just weird to me because I'm learning Gyeongsang dialect so I won't bother with those, but like ㅡ is not oo. There's no good way to describe ㅡ since it's the one vowel that isn't in English at all. In Gyeongsang ㅡ and ㅓ get conflated a lot, I don't know what happens in the Seoul standard dialect. ㅢ gets pronounced like three or four different ways depending on the word, you just have to remember it. Korean writing isn't phonetic.

He just barely mentions batchim, which are the end consonants in a syllable. For example, the one he does have is ㅅ, which is s (or sh depending on the vowel after it, like where he says 시 is see, that's wrong, it's shi) when it's the first consonant and t when it's the final. But ㅊ, ㄷ, ㅈ, ㅆ, and ㅎ do too. And ㅎ sometimes just vanishes entirely depending on what follows it. ㄱ, ㅋ, and ㄲ are all ㄱ at the end of a syllable. ㄹ doesn't just turn into an l.

Hangeul is easy to learn but there are better sources. Try this instead. http://hompi.sogang.ac.kr/korean/

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Apr 29, 2012

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

There aren't distinct characters, the comic is wrong. ㄱ is pronounced sort of between g and k (though it depends on the word), ㅋ is always a hard k sound, and ㄲ is gg. ㄹ is r/l, ㄷ is between d/t, ㅌ is a hard t, ㅂ is between b and p, ㅍ is p. Basically. The ones that are between two letters will either sound like pronouncing both at once or more like one or the other depending on the word.

Also people are really inconsistent with using the standard Romanization style that was introduced about ten years ago, especially with names. And people will just totally make poo poo up. I've seen 안녕하세요 written as like ahn-youhng-hah-seyh-yah.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Like I said I don't know Seoul dialect, I live in Ulsan so I learn Gyeongsang, and in Gyeongsang Korean is absolutely not phonetically written. To your example, ㅐ and ㅔ (and the y/w versions) are exactly the same in Gyeongsang --there are only really six vowel sounds here. So when you're trying to write something that someone is saying, if you haven't studied the vocabulary it's very hard to pick the right vowel since so many are conflated. It's not quite as bad as English, but the last two languages I studied were completely phonetic so spelling Korean is annoying the poo poo out of me.

Is n and ng occasionally being identical a Gyeongsang thing or does that happen in Seoul?

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Apr 29, 2012

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Just sometimes in spoken Korean around here, there will be a ng consonant but the Koreans just say n. Usually the ng is distinct but occasionally it isn't, I haven't noticed a pattern to it. I've been getting help from a friend, maybe it's just her but it's hard to know unless I'm writing it down and comparing.

An example is 프랑스, I've never heard anyone pronounce the middle syllable as rang, it's always ran.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Right, it's not that hard, you just have to practice. Since I live in Korea I have plenty of material to read--I don't understand 99% of it but it's still good practice.

It will take a long time to read it quickly though, I'm over a year into it and it's still slow. It's a very unnatural way to read for an English speaker since it's not just left to right, your eye is moving left-right up-down left-right-down-rightagainsometimes and Korean doesn't use spaces between words consistently like English and yeah. It's a pain. One of my friends was here three years and she said she could read it almost as quickly as English after that much time. I suspect eventually you can start taking in the whole syllable block at once without reading each individual letter.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Apr 30, 2012

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

A teacher at my old school would wear a t-shirt with a big pot leaf in the middle and CANNABUS SANDERS, KENTUCKY FRIED HEMP written around it in a circle. This was an English teacher.

We obviously never told her so she'd continue wearing it.

Koreans just binge drink and die in puddles of vomit mostly. You can get any drugs of course but they're really expensive and hard to find, so most people don't even try.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

My other anecdote, all the Koreans I know who lived in the west at least tried weed, and most of them smoked like it was Rastafarian night on Willie Nelson's tour bus. I know one guy who managed to be high every day for two years.

If you go into slightly older generations, Reefer Madness is still considered a documentary.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Jamesman posted:

You should feel ashamed, since it's actually "Oppan." :colbert:

It's a contraction of 오빠는 and Koreans frequently drop particles. 오빠는, 오빤, 오빠 are all fine spoken.

However you should be ashamed at perpetuating the cultural smallpox that is Gangnam Style.

E: There's this van that drives around my city with the word 호박 (pumpkin) on the side and giant speakers blasting Gangnam Style. I have no idea what the gently caress but I wish for a bazooka every time it goes past.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Nov 16, 2012

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Jamesman posted:

Why would a "pumpkin" van drive around blasting music? Are they advertising pumpkins, or is it just what those darn kids do in Korea?

It's Korea. It's best not to try to work out logical reasons for things.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Jamesman posted:

Yeah, I know. I'm just not sure what the van is supposed to be doing, unless the music attracts attention, and then they stop and sell pumpkins out of their van.

Or if they're just raising pumpkin awareness.

There's nothing. The van doesn't stop and does nothing but drive around. I presumed it was an advertisement but there's literally nothing else written on it except 호박. Now I assume it's following me around because it knows I have PTSD from that loving song and fly into a rage/curl into the fetal position, weeping, when so much as half a second of it plays.

호박 is also slang for ugly. :eng101:

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

That's the thing. It's not the goddamn ajeossi fruit truck. They're not selling pumpkins. They're just driving around blasting that loving song.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Blowing down the center of a six lane road in circles around the city. :argh:

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

In two years of living in Korea I could count the number of times I've seen a seatbelt used on both hands with fingers to spare.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

LegionAreI posted:

:psyduck: I think "not particularly safe" is an understatement here. Is that a normal thing in Korea? I don't even think my car can go that fast.

I dunno if normal is the right word but I wouldn't bat an eye at it. Chinese drivers are the worst I've seen, Korean are the next worst. Then Italian, for completeness' sake. German and Japanese at the top.

I've seen more dead bodies on the road in my time here than my entire previous life. My most notable morning was seeing six accidents during my 20 minute bus ride to work. I've been nearly hit by a car several times, was backed into by one yesterday (who then backed into the side of a bus), and cannot even begin to describe the kind of mayhem at intersections. And there's zero enforcement. I've seen a car come less than a foot from hitting a cop, while the car was blowing through a red light, and the cop did nothing.

I saw a parking ticket once and took a picture because I was in complete shock and had no idea what it was. This is a place where "parking" means stopping in the middle of the road and turning your hazards on. I can't imagine what someone could even do here to get a parking ticket.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Here's a representative video from my city: http://ulsanonline.com/Culture/?p=2364 The three second rule is absolutely true, I have almost never been at an intersection and not had to wait a couple seconds for the red light runners to pass.

And I see this daily.

Three guesses what the sign means. :v:

Cars are still fairly new here. You just have to be aware that people are dangerous as hell and you can't assume anything if you're near a street.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

nullscan posted:

/\/\ Yeah but anyone can buy one of those signs, they're all over the alleys where business owners want reserved parking or people who live in the houses don't have designated parking.

Yeah but I've seen the exact same scene at police stations and city hall and stuff. The place where I dodge red light runners every morning is directly in front of a police station.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Also, no laws apply to motorcycles. By riding a motorcycle you are immune.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

They're legal but heavily discouraged. I think. There are occasional strikes but I'm not sure if they're union things, I've heard conflicting information about whether they're legal or quasi-legal or illegal but nobody stops them or what. Anyway if kpop girls tried to do it they'd just get shitcanned and replaced, there are plenty of other girls who want free plastic surgery.

The new thing I saw recently is the three paper cup diet, where kpop girls are allowed three paper cups of food a day. Dixie cups, we're talking about here.

It's not just in that industry, Korean flight attendants have their food controlled too since they're all women hired on looks. I know they're not allowed to eat rice but not sure what else.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

The perception of what fat is is also totally hosed here. I've heard many, many times that if a girl is over 50 kg, she's automatically morbidly obese. Doesn't matter how tall she is or her body type, if you're over 50 kg you're a whale. And guys will just straight up tell girls they're too fat. I have one friend who is absolutely beautiful and not in any way fat by anyone's standards, but her body type is a little larger than what's considered normal Korean--she has breasts and a butt. So she starves herself and takes amphetamines and her friends tell her she's not just fat but an emergency and no man will ever love her. And there's no talking her out of it. It's really sad and a serious problem. Body image issues are bad enough in the west but here they're taken to the extreme. Girls don't exercise so they can avoid having muscles, there's plastic surgery to remove muscles in your legs to make them skinnier (I really hope the remove there is a mistranslation but I've been told about it by multiple people). I don't get it.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Literally any clothing store in Korea will have stuff like that. I don't know where you'd get it without living in Asia but there's probably some weeaboo site for it.

I'll buy stuff and send it to you for significant markups and personal profit.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

There are socks of basically anything you can think of. I have a pair of Che Guevara socks kicking around somewhere.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

One of my friends was just telling me earlier that she bought XXS clothes in the US and they were equivalent to M here. It's weird since younger post-famine Koreans are basically the same size as Americans. There's a teacher at my school taller, bigger, and with the same size feet as me. I don't know where he shops in this country; I get all my clothes imported.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

strangeless posted:

To be honest I really like the unfamiliar stuff. It lets me learn about the culture. I was really glad when KBS world started subbing the "visitors to Seoul" skit on Gag Concert because now I can recognize a Seoul accent vs "standard" accent.

Seoul accent is standard Korean, actually. There are several others. I live in the southeast and have learned Gyeongsang, which is probably the biggest of the non-standard accents. Different vowels. Southwest (Jeolla) accent even has some different verbs, Jeju accent is really different, and North Korean is distinct.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

The formality is the same, but it's louder. To me Korean is a screamed language in general but Gyeongsang is even more so.

People in Seoul would agree with you, they generally disdain anything outside of Seoul as being country bumpkin land, Busan included. Think of a Manhattanite stereotype.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I like that the socks all look the same just like the real people!

Cartoon socks of all sorts are common in Korea, kids and adults. I don't remember seeing any in China. I would bet they're around in Japan but I was too busy putting sushi in my face to look.

I sent Sapporo and Mario socks in my SASSmas box.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Cassa posted:

Everything in Korea seems to take 22 hours to film.

Wouldn't that be prohibitively expensive? Surely the dudes holding the camera get paid by the hour and after a certain point they get overtime, no?

Ha paid. Overtime. You're funny.

ANECDOTAL but none of my Korean friends get overtime ever for anything. I do because it's in my contract and it gives more western working conditions in order to get westerners to actually work here. Actually getting that overtime is another matter, I'm currently owed quite a bit of it.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

A lovely honorary kgoon got rid of the previous terrible one for me. I like this one. Though he misspelled Takeshima.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Yep. I like it here and don't plan to leave but don't believe the Korean media's image of this place. It is horribly hosed in many many ways. Like anywhere.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

It ain't just on TV either. I stopped asking my Korean friends about how their relationships started because I was too creeped out.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Enjoy this sample of local culture.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zg_BkPmDJTY

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

RedFish posted:

This isn't strictly about Korean TV so much as a Korean on TV ... anyone have an idea about how Korea views Ahn, the Korean speedskater who was a gold-winning prodigy for a few olympics, got injured before Vancouver, and then moved to Russia, became a Russian citizen, and is now competing against Korea as a Russian. :aaa:

I mean, I know that Korea has been rapidly changing its views on foreigners and foreign countries, but Korea has traditionally been a wee bit, er, Xenophobic. Surely poo poo is being flipped at his 'defection' and that he is now 'traitorously' competing against his home nation? I know that Korea tends to treat it's Olympians as rock stars so I can see people getting pretty upset.

I have no awareness of the Olympics, but in general Korea does it this way. If someone ethnically Korean does a good thing, they are Korean and celebrated. If someone ethnically Korean does a bad thing, they are a member of whatever non-Korean society they live in with no connection to Korea.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

RedFish posted:

That makes sense, but what about when a Korean does a good thing (being 1st place and unless he gets injured or falls, he's a shoo-in for gold) but for the glory of a non-Korean country, and thus pushing down the success of their own athlete? :confused: I can see how him making a mistake would make them distance themselves from him, but what about the fact that he's beastin' it? Wouldn't it piss them off that he's winning medals for some other country and worsening the chances for their own candidate?

He's Korean, therefore the medals are Korean. What is Russia? I can't even find that on a map.

I don't know anyone who cares so I can't answer it, but if I hear anything I'll post. koreabang.com might have something up about it eventually if it becomes A Thing, there isn't now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Koramei posted:

Is this actually unique to Korea though? I can see it maybe being more prevalent over there than in a few places, but I've noticed that trend for first/second gen British immigrants (which I'm conscious of) and I'm sure it's true for other/most/all nationalities too. People like feeling good about their own people.

I don't know, Korea's the only ethnically homogenous country with a massive inferiority complex that I've lived in. I've never noticed it in the US (as a liberal resident of a largeish diverse city). I would suspect other similar countries have similar things.

• Locked thread