Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
Where's a good place to read Peerless Dad now that it's not on Mangadex? Kissmanga is still a miserable cesspit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Elysiume posted:

Where's a good place to read Peerless Dad now that it's not on Mangadex? Kissmanga is still a miserable cesspit.

I suppose from JB.

The scanlator's site.

https://jaiminisbox.com/reader/series/peerless-dad/

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

jb is bad for new readers because they only have the latest 20 chapters translated

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Ah.

I somehow thought JB had been doing the series this whole time.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
JB works for me since I'm caught up, thanks!

Karneios
Nov 5, 2009

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Ah.

I somehow thought JB had been doing the series this whole time.

they picked it up after meraki scans got that big C&D or whatever on a lot of korean comics, unfortunately this means the only way to read those meraki scans versions is now aggregators since they had to take them off their own site and they're now gone from mangadex

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

BURNING EFFECT IS MY FAVORITE WEBTOON EVER AND HAS BEEN SO FOR AT LEAST A YEAR.

IT'LL TAKE A REALLY GOOD WEBTOON TO EVEN COME CLOSE TO DETHRONING IT.

I've not seen it yet!

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
Burning effect is excellent, Pound is incredible.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Burning Effect shares the characteristic God of High School has where they both have their own very distinct art style that isn't just some derivation of "generic manga style."

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Burning effect is good, but the chapters somehow feel even shorter than the usual korean webtoons.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the art style of burning effect reminds me of graffiti. it's pretty rad.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

KittyEmpress posted:

Burning effect is good, but the chapters somehow feel even shorter than the usual korean webtoons.

That is because the webtoon is so good!

Time flies when you're having fun and Burning Effect is so fun that it's like you're burning through the pages!

That's why it's called Burning Effect*!

*That is not why it is called Burning Effect.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
So Love Advice from the Arch Duke of Hell wrapped up it's first season (in October, actually, which shows how far out of the loop I was), and dudes, it's hilarious. The art is really good too, it's just enjoyable from start to finish. Go read it.

The (bad) English translation of I Don't Want This Kind of Hero is in its last ten chapters, which means it'll be finished in the next two months. While the translation is shoddy, the general gist is understandable, and it's good. The Chief is a badass, and everybody is great. READ IT!!!!!

The Breaker part 3 is still releasing never. It sucks, I know. God of High School is about to hit another peak I feel, go check that out if you want to!

Here's my obligatory shout out to DICE, poo poo has been real for the past few chapters, although now even the unofficial fan translated English version is pretty behind, judging by their release history, due to a lack of staff. Another shout out is to a series I don't think I've talked about before (I might have, I don't remember) called Tales of the Unusual. That just wrapped up apparently its season 1 in November, I don't know if the author plans to continue it or not because I haven't caught up yet. Tales is really good, each tale is something different and it can be spooky, funny, heartwarming, or hard hitting, you get all flavors.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Gologle posted:

So Love Advice from the Arch Duke of Hell wrapped up it's first season (in October, actually, which shows how far out of the loop I was), and dudes, it's hilarious. The art is really good too, it's just enjoyable from start to finish. Go read it.

The (bad) English translation of I Don't Want This Kind of Hero is in its last ten chapters, which means it'll be finished in the next two months. While the translation is shoddy, the general gist is understandable, and it's good. The Chief is a badass, and everybody is great. READ IT!!!!!

The Breaker part 3 is still releasing never. It sucks, I know. God of High School is about to hit another peak I feel, go check that out if you want to!

Here's my obligatory shout out to DICE, poo poo has been real for the past few chapters, although now even the unofficial fan translated English version is pretty behind, judging by their release history, due to a lack of staff. Another shout out is to a series I don't think I've talked about before (I might have, I don't remember) called Tales of the Unusual. That just wrapped up apparently its season 1 in November, I don't know if the author plans to continue it or not because I haven't caught up yet. Tales is really good, each tale is something different and it can be spooky, funny, heartwarming, or hard hitting, you get all flavors.

Good to see this thread bumped. I mentioned in the romance thread recently reading the currently available chapters of The Man Who Cleans Up Make-up, which is very good and highly recommended (though unfortunately there are only like 32 chapters currently).

This is also probably the best place to discuss unOrdinary since it's on webtoons even though it's not Korean. That comic has really surprised me with how interesting it's been, even if the pacing is glacial.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Eleceed is good / hilarious, especially if you like cats. It's a team up between the people from Girls of the Wild and Noblesse.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
big fan of cats and the comedy parts of noblesse, so i'm completely fuckin' sold.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
love that inhyuk

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

big fan of cats and the comedy parts of noblesse, so i'm completely fuckin' sold.

Yeah same. Once I saw who was involved with it I bookmarked instantly. Story is still building / introducing characters etc but its well done so far and has a few really cute / funny chapters. Good mix of high points from Girls of the Wilds and Noblesse imo.

E: Also the other half of Girls of the Wild has been doing "Like A Butterfly" which is real good imo but also kinda sad / melancholy. I definitely enjoy it but don't want to binge it.

That Works fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Dec 31, 2019

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Bit of a longshot here but I have half remembered what I think was a webcomic I read a couple of years ago. Some sort of super power martial arts series where the main character unexpectedly(?) Gains a power way too much for him or something and ends up being forced to live with some martial arts family who are possibly feuding with another?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Jose posted:

Bit of a longshot here but I have half remembered what I think was a webcomic I read a couple of years ago. Some sort of super power martial arts series where the main character unexpectedly(?) Gains a power way too much for him or something and ends up being forced to live with some martial arts family who are possibly feuding with another?

Could be The Breaker or the 2nd season of that, New Waves.

Modern era or old school timeline?

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
Yeah that really sounds like The Breaker.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

That Works posted:

Eleceed is good / hilarious, especially if you like cats. It's a team up between the people from Girls of the Wild and Noblesse.

I could do without the weird BL-ish pretty boy obsession. I know that GOTW was like that but i mean drat. The guy just got kicked in a broken leg and you're making him look all pouty and innocent. That feels WEIRD to me. Still, I love cats and it's great seeing Kayden going nuts for a string toy or something right after being all serious. That part's good.

khy fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Jan 1, 2020

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

That Works posted:

Could be The Breaker or the 2nd season of that, New Waves.

Modern era or old school timeline?

Modern era ISH but not the breaker. It was something in full colour I think

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I've been reading Gilgamesh on Lezhin ( https://www.lezhin.com/en/comic/gilgamesh_en ) and it's pretty good and interesting. The artist is really great at illustrating action in a similar way to the guy who does 4 Cut Hero (though without 4 Cut Hero's kinda skeezy content - I really wish that series didn't have that stuff because it's a really funny/entertaining comic otherwise but that stuff makes it hard to recommend). In both cases the artist is extremely good at conveying a sense of force and direction to attacks.

I've also been reading My Deepest Secret ( https://www.webtoons.com/en/drama/my-deepest-secret/list?title_no=1580 ) which seems like it might be somewhat similar to Cheese in the Trap, except with there not being much of a mystery about whether the guy is a sociopath (because he very obviously is bad in this). I really like it so far, but it's only up to episode 30-something. I really like the Korean guy (who I imagine will probably be a love interest at some point).

edit: Been reading more Gilgamesh and it's a damned good/interesting fantasy story. Highly recommended. Even though the plot isn't really similar, it gives a kinda similar feeling to Helck in the sense of being "a fantasy story in an interesting setting without a bunch of dumb nonsense that you have to tolerate."

edit2: Gah, caught up with it. I was lucky that so many chapters (64) were available for free (and the later ones are apparently being released for free regularly). Seriously great webtoon.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Jan 4, 2020

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
I Don't Want This Kind of Hero's (bad) English translation has finished. Aside from an epilogue coming next week the story is done. If you've been waiting for it to end, now's the time to read it. I really enjoyed it, start to finish, but I do hope that eventually, down the line, someone will retranslate it because man, the translation sucks.

EDIT: Anyone who's still reading them, how is Gosu? I heard some complaints about the official translation, has it gotten better? Is it at a good point to start reading the second part? The same goes for Kubera, is that at a good point to jump back in?

Gologle fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Feb 2, 2020

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Gologle posted:

I Don't Want This Kind of Hero's (bad) English translation has finished. Aside from an epilogue coming next week the story is done. If you've been waiting for it to end, now's the time to read it. I really enjoyed it, start to finish, but I do hope that eventually, down the line, someone will retranslate it because man, the translation sucks.

If only. I liked it but couldn't keep going because of how meh it was.

I've been rereading ToG again and drat it's good.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Gologle posted:

EDIT: Anyone who's still reading them, how is Gosu? I heard some complaints about the official translation, has it gotten better? Is it at a good point to start reading the second part? The same goes for Kubera, is that at a good point to jump back in?

Ah, thanks for mentioning that. I Don't Want This Kind of Hero is genuinely great and anyone who hasn't read it should read it (I'd stick with it for at least the first 10-20 chapters or so, because I bounced off the very beginning once).

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Gologle posted:

I never had too many problems with the Gosu translation and I loved it. However it's been on hiatus for a long time as one of the authors is extremely ill. Might not get finished :smith:

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

That Works posted:

I never had too many problems with the Gosu translation and I loved it. However it's been on hiatus for a long time as one of the authors is extremely ill. Might not get finished :smith:

I actually went back for a re-read since it got mentioned. Naver's site says Gosu returns on the 23rd.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Brought To You By posted:

I actually went back for a re-read since it got mentioned. Naver's site says Gosu returns on the 23rd.

Oh that's awesome news.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Gosu has been back for a while. They are just asding a drlay between Korean and EN versions I assume.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Happy I have so much "I Don't Want This Kind of Hero" left before the end. I was on chapter 210 or something when I last stopped. Reading it again is reminding me of how ridiculously good it is.

Something about this series make it cross a line where it feels like "a genuinely good story" instead of just "good in the sense of being an entertaining and well-executed piece of nerd media." It seems like Korean webtoons in general are often capable of having very compelling characters and character drama mixed with humor and kind of weird settings.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
I laugh to myself whenever I read God of High School and how completely nonsensical its name has become.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Gologle posted:

I laugh to myself whenever I read God of High School and how completely nonsensical its name has become.

I got bored of it at the timeskip, did it get good after that?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

That Works posted:

I got bored of it at the timeskip, did it get good after that?

It got even more insane lol

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Jose posted:

It got even more insane lol

It was always insane. Which was good! I just didn't like the new characters etc the bit after the timeskip was pretty jarring and I just kinda stopped reading it for a bit. I guess what I'm asking is if you enjoyed it before the timeskip is it still good now?

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Sword Sheath's Child
check out the art in this :stare:

seems to be the same artist as Shin Angyo Onshi?!

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

That Works posted:

It was always insane. Which was good! I just didn't like the new characters etc the bit after the timeskip was pretty jarring and I just kinda stopped reading it for a bit. I guess what I'm asking is if you enjoyed it before the timeskip is it still good now?
Yeah it's still good. It doesn't really take that long for all your old favorites to come back.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Everything Burrito posted:

Sword Sheath's Child
check out the art in this :stare:

seems to be the same artist as Shin Angyo Onshi?!

It is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
In that case that just became an instant must read.