Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Gologle posted:

In that case that just became an instant must read.

Yeah.

Thanks for posting it op

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.
Just want to pop in and thank everyone who recommended Burning Effect. What a drat uniquely enjoyable beat em up series. Cool art, just the right amount of emotional tension and comedy moments. A really fun read so far. And that last cliffhanger, drat what a place to catch up.

Two Tone Shoes fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Feb 4, 2020

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Two Tone Shoes posted:

Just want to pop in and thank everyone who recommended Burning Effect. What a drat uniquely enjoyable beat em up series. Cool art, just the right amount of emotional tension and comedy moments. A really fun read so far. And that last cliffhanger, drat what a place to catch up.

It's so gooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooood and I hate that if I wanna reread the earlier bits I have to shell out KRW 200 to rent them for like 3 days? A week? I forget how Daum's rental process works.

I loving paid for those chapters when they were initially released and I have no qualms paying for permanent access but I don't wanna pay to just read have to read them in a limited time frame!!!!!

God dammit Daum!!!!!!

Where are the English scans at right now.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

latest chapter on jb is 55

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Is anyone else reading Lavender Jack? It's a pulp serial inspired series that's entered into it's 2nd season and I'm amazed at how tight the writing is, and how good the characters and story is. The first season followed an ensemble case of characters living within the city of Gallery. A alt-history city located somewhere in Europe which finds itself in the grips of an elusive cabal of businessmen and politicians. To shake things up the cities elite find themselves stalked by a devilish man in a distinct purple suit. To combat this, the mayor calls in the aid of an aged but still famous sleuth to find the identity of this criminal and things move on from there.

The first season was fantastic from start to finish and Dan Schkade is an amazing storyteller. And to add to this the 2nd season has a prevailing theme about how actions have consquences and really builds on the events and actions that occured in the first chapter. If you want a solid series based around action and intrigue this is for you.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I've been reading the webtoon Hardcore Leveling Warrior on webtoons and it is dramatically better than I expected from its name and premise. I was expecting some typical "person in VRMMO being a badass" situation, but the setting is actually genuinely interesting, with it being strongly implied that the "VR" world is actually a real thing and that the company that supposedly runs it actually doesn't control it. The protagonist is basically in a debt prison where he is forced to pay his lender back in-game (since game money is just as valuable as real money in this setting, due to it effectively being a second world people inhabit while they sleep*). So there's this contrast between the protagonist's real life, where he went into massive debt due to a gambling addiction + poverty, and the game where he has extremely good luck and a gambling-based ability (except it works out in his favor in the game).

I'd put it in a similar category to something like God of High School, in the sense of being something with its own unique art style and quirky setting (plus good action).

I've also been reading the English language romance thing "Age Matters" on webtoons, which I also mentioned in the shoujo/romance thread, though it's probably better for this thread. That series hits all the notes I look for in a romcom/drama.

* this is another weird thing about this setting; people "play" the game while sleeping, so they basically live half their lives in the game and half in the "real world."

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
fyi, the origin and nature of the vr world eventually gets explained in detail.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Ytlaya posted:

I've been reading the webtoon Hardcore Leveling Warrior on webtoons and it is dramatically better than I expected from its name and premise. I was expecting some typical "person in VRMMO being a badass" situation, but the setting is actually genuinely interesting, with it being strongly implied that the "VR" world is actually a real thing and that the company that supposedly runs it actually doesn't control it. The protagonist is basically in a debt prison where he is forced to pay his lender back in-game (since game money is just as valuable as real money in this setting, due to it effectively being a second world people inhabit while they sleep*). So there's this contrast between the protagonist's real life, where he went into massive debt due to a gambling addiction + poverty, and the game where he has extremely good luck and a gambling-based ability (except it works out in his favor in the game).

I'd put it in a similar category to something like God of High School, in the sense of being something with its own unique art style and quirky setting (plus good action).

I've also been reading the English language romance thing "Age Matters" on webtoons, which I also mentioned in the shoujo/romance thread, though it's probably better for this thread. That series hits all the notes I look for in a romcom/drama.

* this is another weird thing about this setting; people "play" the game while sleeping, so they basically live half their lives in the game and half in the "real world."

Yeah both of these are good. I especially like HCLW though.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
By the by, GOSU has been up for a couple weeks now.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Tower of God anime ep 1 came out. Gonna watch it in a few.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Sitting here looking at the reveal in the latest Kubera and going "oh my god!! this changes everything!!"

Only there is a little voice in my brain going "changes what, exactly? what does this mean??"

And, heck, I have no idea. It's definitely changed though!

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Thanks for the reminder regarding Kubera. Good to see its still going. I've got a lot of backlog to go through since I basically stopped right after an important powerful character got hilariously owned by something mundane.

Kefahuchi_son!!!
Apr 23, 2015
Another thank you for the Kubera reminder!!
I really like most of ToG, Kubera, Gosu and Magician (heavily underrated). What other webtoons should i check?
I found noblesse boring after a while and the God of Highschool initial arc left me with little desire to continue.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
BURNING EFFECT BURNING EFFECT BURNING EFFECT BURNING EFFECT BURNING EFFECT BURNING EFFECT BURNING EFFECT.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Kefahuchi_son!!! posted:

I really like most of ToG, Kubera, Gosu and Magician (heavily underrated). What other webtoons should i check?
I found noblesse boring after a while and the God of Highschool initial arc left me with little desire to continue.

God of Highschool becomes very good, though it's a different sort of thing than those other series. The art is very good IMO, particularly when it comes to action.

Have you read the webtoons by Ilkwon Ha (Duty After School, Annarasumanara, and God of Bath are the ones I've read)? They're all extremely good, to the point where I'd rank them higher than any other webtoon with the possible exception of Kubera.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Kefahuchi_son!!! posted:

I would recommend some of the "completed" stuff on webtoons: Hellper and Hive for starters. Gourmet Hounds if you want a good romance.

Ongoing series? I cannot recommend Lavender Jack enough especially after the chapter that dropped today. Room of Swords is on it's way out the door but there's still some months ahead and it's worth picking up any time. Muted and Urban Animal are both currently on hiatus between their seasons but both are good modern fantasy series, with me favoring the latter because the premise is about shapeshifters.

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

BURNING EFFECT BURNING EFFECT BURNING EFFECT BURNING EFFECT BURNING EFFECT BURNING EFFECT BURNING EFFECT.
This one as well as Peerless Father.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Kefahuchi_son!!! posted:

I need to check out Magician.

It's not ever gotten very popular but I always recommend Wind Breaker, story about high school kids in crews of bike racers, think X-games meets Yowamushi Pedal or something. It's been consistently very funny with good characters / development and the art is well done.

For more personal relationship drama stuff there's Age Matters, True Beauty and I Love Yoo

It's not a manwha but 'Lore Olympus' is on Webtoons and has outstanding and unique art and is based in Greek mythology. It's funny as all hell too.

E: gently caress I forgot about Peerless Dad! It rullllllllles

Also Eleceed, fighting manwha that talks a lot about cats done one half of Noblesse and one half of Girls of the Wilds.

Girls of the Wilds is good stuff too if you're looking for completed series.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Kefahuchi_son!!! posted:

I'll recommend Sword Interval and Hardcore Leveling Warrior.

The premise of Sword Interval is hunting monsters in a somewhat post-Apocalyptic world and Hardcore Leveling Warrior is about a bad person playing a MMO experiencing karma. Sword Interval is more adventure while Hardcore Leveling Warrior has a strong comedic bent to it.

Hypocrisy fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Apr 21, 2020

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Magician is about to end for those wanting to read it

Only an epilogue to go

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

That Works posted:

It's not a manwha but 'Lore Olympus' is on Webtoons and has outstanding and unique art and is based in Greek mythology. It's funny as all hell too.

Seconding Lore Olympus. I checked it out basically on a lark, not expecting much.

No, no, it loving earns that first-in-category status.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

Seconding Lore Olympus. I checked it out basically on a lark, not expecting much.

No, no, it loving earns that first-in-category status.

Yeah I didn't look at it for ages and after I opened it up I binged like 25 chapters in one sitting

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
OK now you guys have got me interested. I'll check it out.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

It's neat how during the dragon's trial in Hardcore Leveling Warrior the story actually points out how Dark/Carter has been relying on his wealth, given that up until this point he's been portrayed as being sort of the opposite of the typical rich characters and is portrayed as being estranged from the rest of his wealthy family. It's something that's absolutely true, but I didn't expect the story to actually comment on it.

Hardcore Leveling Warrior probably has the biggest gap between my expectation from the title and the reality that it's actually a really good webtoon.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Ytlaya posted:

It's neat how during the dragon's trial in Hardcore Leveling Warrior the story actually points out how Dark/Carter has been relying on his wealth, given that up until this point he's been portrayed as being sort of the opposite of the typical rich characters and is portrayed as being estranged from the rest of his wealthy family. It's something that's absolutely true, but I didn't expect the story to actually comment on it.

Hardcore Leveling Warrior probably has the biggest gap between my expectation from the title and the reality that it's actually a really good webtoon.

Yeah it's rad, I just wish they would advance the current mystery regarding HCLW soon.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i'm glad i persisted past the first few chapters of hclw. the first chapter in particular was not appealing at all.

Kefahuchi_son!!!
Apr 23, 2015
Thanks for all the suggestions!! Perfect for quarantine time

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
YOOOOOOO GANG MET YONGBI!!!!!!

EDIT: Sorry, this is old news by now, but I've just started part 2 of Gosu, since I wanted there to be a large backlog for when I resumed reading.

Gologle fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Apr 23, 2020

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Gologle posted:

YOOOOOOO GANG MET YONGBI!!!!!!

EDIT: Sorry, this is old news by now, but I've just started part 2 of Gosu, since I wanted there to be a large backlog for when I resumed reading.

Yeah it owns

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
Woobok...no...:negative:

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
i caught up with HCLW and am after something new. i'm reading ToG, GoHS, gamer, unordinary even if it is the slowest series i've ever read lol, gosu and just finished magician

something actiony preferably but i'm down for a comedy thats really good

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Jose posted:

i caught up with HCLW and am after something new. i'm reading ToG, GoHS, gamer, unordinary even if it is the slowest series i've ever read lol, gosu and just finished magician

Wind Breaker

its funny, I love it, I will always recommend it in here.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Jose posted:

God of Bath, it is a wonderful comedy. Also, as I mentioned in an earlier post, everything by the same guy. They're all absolute top-tier webtoons (and probably the best period, honestly).

"4 Cut Hero" on Lezhin is also a weird mix of good and overly-horny. That series has very well-drawn action sequences and a surprisingly entertaining story (though it takes a few chapters before it kick into gear). It kinda depends on how high your tolerance for dumb stuff is, but if you were okay with Gamer you probably won't be bothered by anything in it.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
Did anyone mention God of High School is getting an anime? Because holy poo poo God of High School is getting an anime.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
With how good Tower of God looks I have high hopes for GoHS

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Gosu status: after more than two years IT'S HAPPENING :supaburn:

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Sindai posted:

"Sorry kid, your master was a massive prick and the guy who killed your parents. You can't run away from accepting this anymore"
Oh man, this is going to be something isn't it?

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

It's been a week and I'm still kind of...just astounded at the Magician ending and epilogue. drat, Enz got owned.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
poo poo is getting dire in literally all of the manhwa I'm reading right now, it's kind of ridiculous.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
The Strongest Florist is a cool comic I found about a body builder who is afraid of his family finding out that he loves flowers and so he starts playing a VRMMO to start a flower shop. It's funny and cute so far and while it's very early, I'm hoping he's flower affinity skills don't end up becoming OP combat skills. It's a bit further along on the scanlator website than what is on mangadex.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Sindai posted:

So...that happened. Was that what you wanted to happen?