Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Also it turns out that Solo Leveling only has 120 chapters so I'm spending only KRW 55,000 or so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

It's not that ahead, the webtoon itself has like only 23 chapters right now. A 20 chapter gap is nothing in the grand scheme of things.

if that were true, you wouldn't be spending money on fast pass

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Fair.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Still a poo poo excuse to scan something officially available though!

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Isn't solo levelling on that insanely dodgy app? Not justifying it

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
What, is TappyToons dodgy?

Is the website itself dodgy?

EDIT: In Korea it's just on Kakao, so I legit do not know anything about TappyToons.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

I thougjt one of the toons sites had extremely restrictive terms where they owned the IP and would continue it without the original authors blessing

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Anyways I'm like on Chapter 50 of Solo Leveling and wow this is a fun read.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Oh boy Japan showed up in Solo Leveling, time for that good ol' Korean nationalism to come into play and get all the Japanese S-Rankers killed!

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

where is solo leveling available in English legit?

e: found it

Shugojin fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Sep 28, 2020

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Also it turns out that Solo Leveling only has 120 chapters so I'm spending only KRW 55,000 or so.

I'm not paying $35 to get caught up on a single series, just because the "official" release translates the sound effects I didn't need translated.

I'm down for some merch, though, instead. Or an english translated tankubon, but that's not really available in english.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

I use fast pass for a few webtoons series which I'm fine with as they're ahead of/not covered by scans but yeah solo levelling is way behind in the official releases iirc

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

I pay for series that I like enough that I would keep reading them despite having to pay.

Currently for week to week stuff that only includes Adonis and Beginning After The End, which I find have good art, an interesting world, and characters i enjoy.

Solo leveling is basically a pretty michael bay film. It looks nice but it has very little substance, the characters kinda suck, and the world is one of millions of the same concept. I genuinely don't get why people go so crazy about it, besides I guess the art being cool.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Jose posted:

I use fast pass for a few webtoons series which I'm fine with as they're ahead of/not covered by scans but yeah solo levelling is way behind in the official releases iirc

idk how far behind they are compared to korean but official english translation is at 119 with 120 releasing tomorrow (I'm guessing you could have read it for cash last week?). scans seem to be at 120 currently

Manatee Cannon fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Sep 28, 2020

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Korea has 120.

https://www.tappytoon.com/en/comics/solo-leveling-official

TappyToons also has 120.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Also I finished Part 1 and wow the final arc sure was rife with that good ol' Korean inferiority complex kicking in with a healthy dose of xenophobia.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

It wouldn't be a korean comic set in modern world if it didnt have blatantly antagonistic chinese or japanese (or both) characters who are portrayed as way better than anything koreans can do, just for the korean protagonist to trounce them all without a sweat.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Yeah and as a Korean I hate that poo poo cause it's so blatant.

As soon as the Japanese dude showed up I knew what would happen and it was still disappointing to me.

Everything before Jejudo was amazing, but Jejudo was a massive stinker. It reeks.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

The Japanese Solo Leveling is popular, but they renamed Jin Woo to something else, and it takes place in Tokyo instead of Seoul. Also the Japanese are Chinese instead :)

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Sasuga.

What the gently caress is Jejudo gonna be then. Just some random Japanese island?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

GreenBuckanneer posted:

The Japanese Solo Leveling is popular, but they renamed Jin Woo to something else, and it takes place in Tokyo instead of Seoul. Also the Japanese are Chinese instead :)

sounds like late 90s/early 00s western localizations

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Sasuga.

What the gently caress is Jejudo gonna be then. Just some random Japanese island?

No idea, I can only read a few hiragana characters

It's just funny to me because it seems like SK hates Japan and Japan hates the Chinese, but that's just an American nerd's armchair observation

American manga readers probably wouldn't care too much, in their shoes. We get made to be the antagonists in lots of manga anyway

edit: vvv that's fair

GreenBuckanneer fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Sep 29, 2020

Eponymous
Feb 4, 2008

Maybe I just want to be happy, huh?! Maybe I want my life to not be a trainwreck for five GOD DAMN minutes?!
I mean, there were kinda a lot of war crimes in recent memory between that bunch. That can lead to cultural grudges.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
I had no idea this whole time O was supposed to be a girl.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

I was enjoying Sorcerer King until it turned into Dragon Ball taekwondo edition and got really boring.

Why does every wizard in manga/manhwa seem to just end up punching people?

I'm sure this is all Kazushi Hagiwara's fault somehow.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i still like sorcerer king, but only for various supporting characters. tokkyeon is a total thug and it's super cute how she found a kindred punch-spirit in yeoyoung.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
The first episode of Noblesse is out on Crunchyroll if you're a subscriber.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Gologle posted:

The first episode of Noblesse is out on Crunchyroll if you're a subscriber.

why did it start like 3 arcs in

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Shugojin posted:

why did it start like 3 arcs in

Maybe it'll flashback into the 1st arc?

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
There was an OVA called Awakening that covered the first arc years ago. Fortunately it's on CR too.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

still seems like a weird choice but then again I don't really expect the best decisions out of crunchyroll originals anymore

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

God of High School was a super cool fight scene compilation

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Arrgytehpirate posted:

God of High School was a super cool fight scene compilation

That's all it is it just gets more insane lol

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

yeah they did GoHS right

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I just finished GoHS's anime, having not read it, and it just goes at a breakneck speed. does the manwa have any more time to breathe or is that just how it is?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

It's not quite so breakneck cos it's 400+ chapters long but i can assure you it continues ramping up the insanity the way the anime did

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
The pacing is pretty different in the comic. Cramming the entire first arc into one cour required a significant amount of cutting, although it was mostly side character fights and flashbacks so the main plot was mostly intact, as far as I can remember.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
I didn't get that far into Yongbi because I wanted the sequel to be fully translated first, so how strong are Yongbi and Goo Hwi compared to Gang now?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Gologle posted:

I didn't get that far into Yongbi because I wanted the sequel to be fully translated first, so how strong are Yongbi and Goo Hwi compared to Gang now?

Still unclear as far as I can tell.

Neither of them are ever really shook about anything, so you kinda suspect they could just take out Gang if they maybe had to, but imo it's hard to say. If they aren't stronger than Gang there's no one else who is either though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

When does Yongbi go from the way it starts to fights like this?

Since I'm not sure if the tower of God thread has been archived siu has said that it's going to start again in mid November. He did say he was working at a much reduced capacity while recovering so that if he needed to do so again he could keep the series going without needing to stop chapters coming out

The guy who.writers the gamer has said that's on break for a bit because he's got cirrhosis