Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor
Also missing from the OP: Immortal Regis and its sequel Cavalier of the Abyss

Starting off with Immortal Regis...

Jae Hyuk is your average teenage guy with some family-related problems that get seriously sidetracked when he gets killed by a monster from another world, turned into a zombie, and carried off back home with her. It has definite shounen overtones, with a big school filled with crazies of various shades. And then about halfway through everything gets turned slightly off kilter, and keeps getting worse until everything explodes.

I have a hard time explaining Immortal Regis properly in that it's short (only 44 chapters) and takes such a strange and unexpected tangent, the best I can say is that it just might be a cautionary tale about trying to treat a fantasy world like an RPG.

Cavalier of the Abyss follows a 20 year timeskip...

Earth now hangs in the sky of the other world, with a quarter of it blasted to hell. The world is being run by an undead superman who calls himself Nex and dresses like Sol Badguy. The main character wants to murder the poo poo out of Nex and is, himself, another living dead guy.

What went wrong? Hell if I know. Yet.

Everything that went wrong in Immortal Regis led to this, but the writer likes to trickle the information on what happened in those 20 years only sparingly. We haven't gotten the whole story, just flashbacks to major events in the memories of returning characters. It replaces a chunk of the shounen 'level grinding' of the first series with court intrigue and Nex being a colossal rear end in a top hat for not immediately obvious reasons. (To M. Bison levels of 'For you it was the worst day of your life, but for me it was Tuesday.')

Why do I like it? I like it because the artist is drat good (holy crap, he uses a pen for contour shading instead of slapping screentone on everything!) and the plot does a great job of feeling like a runaway train. Nobody in the story is a big enough mastermind to pull off looking like they have any ability to really grab hold of events at all.

Gearhead fucked around with this message at 11:16 on Apr 7, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor
The terrifying thing about this is that he is this loving scary without having reached Black Origin Threshold yet. :aaaaa:

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

Dickeye posted:

Who gives a gently caress, let's get more Kung Fu Nipple Manga

On a related note, thanks for reminding me that Vertias II is still not coming :sigh:

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

Cynic Jester posted:

The way I read it was that Pray was the queen that lead the previous 'Great War' thingy and for some reason decided to not queen any more.

No, no. It's worse than that. She's the previous Queen's daughter. They're LEARNING.

EDIT: Also, the aliens are called The Beast.

Gearhead fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Aug 8, 2012

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

Serious Frolicking posted:

Ha ha, what a lovely name.

Well, until Pray you couldn't actually carry on a conversation with one of them. They're monstrous, vicious and relentless. The humans of the story don't have a name they call themselves and their entire point of existence seems to be sucking the life out of any given planet they settle on in order to continue branching out.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor
Well, then, it seems that Cavalier of the Abyss finally updated.

I wish this translated more quickly, because the writer loves cliffhangers. A new chapter every four months is murderous.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

Sindai posted:

Look at that last panel in the most recent Breaker chapter. Just look at it. If Shiwoon doesn't finally just start loving everyone up I am going to be so miffed. :mad:

I have been eagerly awaiting the moment Shiwoon gets fed up with all this poo poo for a long time. It's like poking a dragon with a stick. Or poking a dragon you thought was a puppy with a stick, or something.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor
Somebody new is translating Cavalier of the Abyss now. Whoever it is, they're not just sitting around looking dumb.

I can't believe that we're 57 chapters in and still have no flipping clue what the hell that wolf spirit is, or how it really relates to anything.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor
At this point, New Waves is all about filling up pages and killing time and I'm really starting to run out of patience with the current pacing. The original arc was a nice substitute for not getting another arc of Veritas, but this is for the birds.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

Scott Bakula posted:

It was always horribly paced. There was just nearly the entire first arc translated before people really got into it. Not that it excuses anything of course

It certainly didn't FEEL like it was this slow. I guess it really is all relative.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor
Part of the problem may be that we're 20 chapters ahead of where The Breaker ended now, and we really don't seem to have any better an idea of what the hell is going on than we did at the start. We don't really know who's running what. Who all the players are. Why everyone is so desperate to get rid of Shioon.

Or, even, how Nine Arts Dragon factors into all this.

Instead, we have an ever growing cast of weirdos who Shioon can't really engage directly who everyone has to kinda run away from lest they get pulped.

It's a big, shadowy menace that is getting a little bit oversold for being a big, shadowy menace.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

Algid posted:

Is that the first good guy fatality in the series that doesn't involve a flashback? Assuming he stays dead I mean.

It isn't the first, but you have to go back to the previous series to find it.

And in the previous series it was the beginning of a horror.

:allears: Somebody on that team has a really short memory. :allears:

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor
I kinda gotta agree at this stage.

We need a beatdown that would have JAM Project kick in.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor
The comparisons between the various factions in Cavalier of the Abyss are starting to get really interesting.

Also:

I did not think it was possible for Ouroboros to get MORE creepy. And Xix is starting to show signs of previously established Undead habits now, at last.

Gearhead fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Jan 10, 2013

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor
Well, I'm going to laugh if the only reason the bald guy was introduced was to have him get maimed when Shioon assumed his EVA Unit 1 Emulation Stance.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

chibi posted:

I can only hope so, but as we've seen several times he can have a few moments of badass and then go right back to doing nothing

Admitted, him punching the bald guy's heart out from front to back would probably have a chilling effect on this WHOLE operation.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

I'm not sure how anyone maintains a degree of optimism about BNW at this point. Mostly people just talk about the kid being awesome and then nothing happens.

Because we remember what happened in the first series when Shioon was actually allowed to do awesome things.

Like run so hard his legs exploded.

And then regenerated.

And then exploded again.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor
And another new chapter of Cavalier of the Abyss.

Remember how I said Ouroboros was creepy? Caladbolg is so many times worse. So many times worse than back in Immortal Regis. :ohdear:

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor
Cavalier of the Abyss 65 is out.

Nowhere else have I seen someone play a shell game for THIS complicated with this much scrutiny on the things hidden under the shells by so many people in the plot and in full view of the readers.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor
The Night Clan SEEMS to be a way of fitting 'humans' into the world's terminology. The different races are organized into 'Clans.' Since Caladbolg went to Earth at the end of Immortal Regis, we can presume fairly safely his power base is there and any humans we see in the magic world are going to be his agents.

The stinker of this most recent chapter is: We now do not know if Xix is Nex's son again, or if his ability to break royal seals comes from being, in effect, Nexx's 'brother' through having been raised from the dead by Serin.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor
This could get extremely confusing since Xix seems to have a suppressible craving for blood of ANY type, as opposed to a need for a specific kind of blood (now) but needed regular 'medicine' intakes to keep him going before. And his blood can also serve as a regulator for Nex's daughter's condition, which also needs medicine to regulate. At this point, the only one we KNOW isn't Nex's kid is Ouroboros.

Comedy Option: Fraternal twins. One manifests mostly Demon Clan features, the other mostly Night Clan features. But BOTH are just a little Undead. Until Xix becomes all the way Undead.. at which point his little bit of preexisting Undead makes him more badass than average.

Gearhead fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Jan 21, 2013

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor
And then Cavalier of the Abyss 66 comes out. And spells every goddamn thing out.

Holy poo poo.

I guess the only major question mark left now is the demon beasts.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor
As a note, Ouroboros' body is a 'Night Clan' who had been resurrected as an Undead, but specifically without a soul animating it. This way, Ouroboros could just inhabit it directly. Since the walls aren't melting wherever Just goes, we can probably guess 'Night Clan' is just another way of saying 'Human.' Humans are seemingly immune to Caladbolg's whole 'World Full Of Crazy' effect since Humans are his ideal host.

As for my guess on why everything is melting around Caladbolg: Remember that Caladbolg is not remotely at full power. Large chunks of him have been cut away and sealed elsewhere. The damage inflicted on him could very well be getting reflected in the world around him. In effect, the Corruption is Nex' fault.

Gearhead fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Jan 22, 2013

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

How bizarre. They are answering all of my questions so clearly in each successive chapter.

Which means, knowing this author, we're about to get a massive curve ball. Because the LAST time he did this, in Immortal Regis, everything got overturned within fifteen chapters. (See: the future Nex's Negative Power)

EDIT: Good God, I'm not used to this kind of output.

Gearhead fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Jan 23, 2013

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor
I would have to lean towards him being Serpent, then. At this stage it's the only thing that makes sense.

We've PRESUMED his features were Night-Demon mix up to this point, but perhaps he's Serpent-Demon mix. In fact, this makes better sense, because it looks like, from Nex' KNOWN daughter with the Empress, that Night Clan features tend to wash everything else out.

EDIT: And then 68 comes out. And now I'm like this: :aaaaa:

Gearhead fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Jan 24, 2013

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

Cynic Jester posted:

Rip and tear, Shioon. Rip and tear.

Best combination of post and avatar.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor
Yeah, Kanjite Knight is basically on loop in my head at this point.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor
Well, at least the writer is getting back to what makes the comic fun.

:black101:

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor
It's true, this is the most CHANGE we've seen in him in a long time. We're actually very close to the personality he demonstrated towards the end of the first series again, when he woke up and realized 'Wait a second. I'm actually kinda badass.'

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

Why wouldn't they think so? Him being the gaju was weird from the start.

He's basically Nobody. He's just this guy who was declared leader because he was nice to the person who SHOULD be in charge, except she's not there and left him in her stead. To an outsider this sort of thing is completely incomprehensible.

On the other hand, Sosul seems to have known EXACTLY what she was doing, because damned if Shioon isn't growing into the job fast. :allears:

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

Casual Annie posted:

I've decided that God of Highschool was never actually supposed to make sense, and that the author just wanted a place to publicize his crazy, over the top kung fu fantasies.

And I really don't mind that at all.

Honestly, this makes the BEST sort of story, I think...

(At least for random entertainment.)

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

Bernardo Orel posted:

The Breaker: New Waves 119 Hmmm, hmmm, hmmm I don't know if this is good or not.

I like that Shiwoon is turning into an Outside Context Problem for these people.

The most dangerous thing about him is that they CANNOT get inside his head.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor
A human being should not look this much like a super robot.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

Cynic Jester posted:

This is one universe where you do not gently caress with old people.

Makes sense: How hardcore a dude do you have to be in their line of work to LIVE to be an old man?

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

Dan7el posted:

However, seems a bit cruel and drastic. After training a student, you then take away his ability to use what you taught him?

9-Arts was not exactly in the best frames of mind to make rational decisions when he did that.

(Read the first half of the comic, seriously.)

I suspect that nobody ever imagined that under everything Shioon was before all this started, there really WAS a complete and utter badass that Murim had somehow completely passed by. Like it or not, at this stage he BELONGS with them.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

Lyon posted:

I was hoping he would just be excited to see him.

He is!

But this is how Murim people say 'My God, I haven't seen you in ages!'

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

Voted Worst Mom posted:

This and God of High School!!! But yeah, the author made Shioon a character you just know has some crazy potential. How many times has he been underestimated in the last 10 chapters??

Constantly.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

That Works posted:

What is it?

The comic is by the artist of Veritas and a different writer, and it's called Action Idols: Age of Young Dragons. I'm fine with this because, apparently, it was the writer that was the problem with Veritas getting scrubbed.

As for The Breaker, the guys responsible for it are working on older projects for a while to keep from burning out. Consider they've been working on this comic now, more or less every couple of weeks, for the past ten goddamn years and you realize how much of their lives they've put into it. They've already said they will be coming back to it later, but for now they need some rest.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

The writing in veritas was great, though. I liked how only terrible people (including the protagonist) succeeded, or even survived.

The writer was, however, apparently extremely hard to get along with and tended to fight with everyone.

As for the comic itself and its plot, it was kinda refreshing to have the main character being an unapologetic rear end in a top hat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

Honestly, I like the new guy. Hopefully he can get his poo poo straightened out quickly, though. He's earnest in an endearingly goofy way and we could probably use someone else in a weight class somewhere under Shiwoon who can provide us with more perspective, because Shiwoon actually getting pissed is like having a small Evangelion on a rampage.

I can't imagine it's easy to write scenes with Shiwoon where he's going to actually fight, because an entire parking lot full of dudes in suits going 'Eh, we can take him...' is just going to be trying to figure out how to properly paint the surrounding buildings afterwards.