Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Id has a comically grandiose story, but it is really super moves. Nothing but super move after super move, frequently in rapid succession.

God of High School is really, really dumb when it tries to be serious, but when it tries to be funny it is quite good.

Knight Run was cursed for a long time by incoherent translations. Even now I'm not sure that every chapter has been decently translated.

Magician is so incredibly slow-paced that I can't quite manage to care about any of what happens.

TAL is painfully generic. It has nothing to recommend itself over any other fighting manwha.

Paladin has thus far been made up of arcs that have nothing to do with each other and precious little to do with the main character. It isn't half bad, though.

I couldn't continue Yureka after an early chapter about one of the main characters' proclivity for hitting on an npc in a MMO. I've known people like that, and I have no interest in reading about a fictional version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
New chapter: http://mangafox.me/manga/noblesse/v04/c231/1.html

It is strange, but I find that I look forward to noblesse every week more than any other manga or manwha.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
The question isn't if Rai will win a fight, and indeed it never is. It would be a nice change of pace if Frank was able to keep Rai from fighting for once, but it doesn't seem likely. I mean, the elder was probably modified using bits of one of the traitor clan leaders and Yuri is still somewhere nearby.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
You know, now that I think about it Noblesse doesn't really have a protagonist.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
The Breaker has really good balls to the wall crazy martial arts parts. It also has very long stretches where nothing interesting happens that aren't any good at all. Veritas has lots of intrigue, character development and humor even during the infrequent times when the fighting slows down.

Also, I prefer genre subversion to straight takes.

Unfortunately, Veritas ended while Breaker keeps going.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
The latest chapter of that was a real kick in the balls.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
http://read.egscans.com/Noblesse_100-/Chapter_232

Well, that was a good punch line. I forgot about contracts, considering they have only been brought up a few times but never shown or elaborated on.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Lyon posted:

Where are contracts mentioned in the first place? I must have glossed over that. Clearly Rai has a contract with Frankenstein (or so it seems to me anyway) but do we know any of the details about what this means?

Wait, where has it ever been said/implied that Rai is the source of all the Nobles' power?

M-21 mentioned it after Rai enabled him to go full werewolf. I think it might have come up in passing a couple other times, but I can't think of any specific examples.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
gently caress, Dark Mage is incomplete?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Frankenstein's plan to keep Rai from getting involved failed because he couldn't imagine anyone having that much power but being so incredibly stupid.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I can't really say why Noblesse is so good. No one aspect of the art, story or characters stands out.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
This manwha just keeps getting better.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I like Magician a lot more now that the chapters are being released in bunches. It does wonders for the pacing issues.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I guess Enzu isn't his father's son, but is instead the last scion of the previous ruling family.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Breaker will backpedal soon, moving far away from all of the good parts. That's what it always seems to do.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Kneel Before Zog posted:

I had to drop Nobelesse because of the latest fan made Yaio chapter. Regardless that it was a fake not made by the creator..or was it? Not that I have anything against being a homosexual but it became too bishi at that moment.

Noblesse has been on hiatus for about a month. I think it is due to come off starting next week. I'm not sure what the yaoi chapter that you are talking about is, but I rather doubt it is authentic.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I haven't actually gotten around to reading any of it yet, but Green Boy might fit the bill.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Dickeye posted:

Who gives a gently caress, let's get more Kung Fu Nipple Manga

Seriously. Brue Balls Lee is also the nickname of the breaker mangaka.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Special-Martial-Arts-Extreme-Hell-Private-High-School/012-Read-Online?id=132132

drat you, train!

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Oh my god. Can't See Can't Hear But Love just started with the dog's tragic past. Now it is just getting silly.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Mo_Steel posted:

Do not underestimate the world of spoilers! A man's spoiler, I'll show you the difference in scale!

So is she a cyborg or what? Honestly from all that we've seen so far this reveal didn't even surprise me.

Isn't that obvious? If someone has detachable mechanical arms but otherwise seems human, they are a cyborg.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Hodgepodge posted:

So Knight Run is some good space opera, but Pray is a fan-fic level Mary Sue. So I'm not sure if I'll even bother keeping up with it.

Anyone else reading it?

Pray is the villain. She was never human and hasn't ever aged. No one but Anne really likes her very much and she never really understood or cared about humans other than Anne. It isn't like people hated her because of how awesome she was, either. She was completely awful to everyone but Anne and would cripple or kill people at the slightest provocation. Generally, you don't call uniformly reviled psychopaths who are only good at fighting mary sues.

If anything, I'd say Anne is a bit of a mary sue. She was as strong as Pray for no particular reason, and like half the cast is completely obsessed with her, also for no particular reason.

I'll probably keep reading at least until the end of the current episode.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Pray didn't just succeed for no reason. They showed how and why she was able to get so much further than other queens. She picked off the best knights on the planet one by one while building her forces and then she stole all of the best technology. I'm not entirely sure how intelligent other queens are, but they obviously didn't use very advanced strategies. So, the knight's hq didn't have any countermeasures in place for what Pray did because it was meant to fight a fundamentally different kind of enemy.

For that matter, Pray was never actually a war orphan in the usual sense and it is very unclear just how old she is.

I sort of suspect that her trophy collection was somehow relevant, too.

The story of Knight Run was pretty incoherent for quite some time, but now it is all coming together.

Also, what the hell are the aliens even called? I can't remember for the life of me.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Aug 8, 2012

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Gearhead posted:

No, no. It's worse than that. She's the previous Queen's daughter. They're LEARNING.

EDIT: Also, the aliens are called The Beast.

Ha ha, what a lovely name.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Oh my, Crepuscule is so lovely. The original writer left, so they restarted the series with a new one. However, the new version just recently popped up, and it is functionally identical to the original. There are minor differences, but it is basically the exact same story with the exact same art, the exact same characters and the exact same events. The best part is, when I compared a couple chapters directly it became clear that the new one is slightly slower paced than the original, which wasn't exactly fast-paced to begin with.

This is really sort of fascinating, because it looks like webtoon creators have very lovely intellectual property rights. Anyone know enough to go into more detail?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy fucked around with this message at 11:11 on Aug 9, 2012

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Oh, really? From the description I thought it had some silly twist. That sounds interesting.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I'm not sure what it really adds to the story, aside from being the latest excuse to send a bunch of enhanced humans into conflict with the main cast.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Nahxela posted:

That revived dude wasn't just a random experiment. He was Werewolf guy's friend, he's just a lot less pink and doesn't have his hat/trenchcoat.

Isn't that obvious? My point is, he is alive again. So what? What does him being back bring to the table? Of course, his escape was probably staged and I'm sure Crombel messed with his head, but is this really how Crombel gets the info he has been after? It is kind of cheesy.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Nahxela posted:

My post was more of a response to Shugojin, like a "Yes, that's who you think it is" :v:
I don't know where this'll go besides maybe add another member to the ragtag group living at Frankenstein's. At the very least, there'll be some interactions with M-23 and we'll probably see some development in him, characterwise and ability wise.

For him to get out scot free, Crombel would need to be an idiot. He is most definitely not.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
It is nice that the focus has shifted away from the spy. That subplot is dumb.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Bremen posted:

Nothing really encapsulates Noblesse like one of the characters curbstomping ostensibly the most powerful opponents they've faced while the rest stand back and comment on his sanity.

Well, Noblesse is pretty drat formulaic at this point.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
They haven't even really shown why he should take on his master, though. What 9AD is doing hasn't been shown in detail ever since new waves began. Has he even had any lines? I'm not sure how 9AD is even related to this lovely organization that is using his name.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
The first series had pretty bad pacing, too. Except, it did eventually deliver on the promises it made. As it is, NW seems to be sloooooowwwwwlllllyyyy building up to Shiwoon fighting his master without actually showing why he should do so.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
They have established that beating the poo poo out of people with physical attacks is a viable alternative to all the magic nonsense. Likewise, all the magic nonsense didn't exactly come out of nowhere. It seems like you were hoping for a different manwha in spite of all available evidence.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Dickeye posted:

I might actually read The Breaker if this happens. I want the world to burn around him as he kicks buildings in half. You ever read World War Hulk, where Hulk is so pissed that his footsteps are literally tearing the earth apart? That's what I want.

I'm not sure how anyone maintains a degree of optimism about BNW at this point. Mostly people just talk about the kid being awesome and then nothing happens.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Gearhead posted:

Because we remember what happened in the first series when Shioon was actually allowed to do awesome things.

Like run so hard his legs exploded.

And then regenerated.

And then exploded again.

See, that was a different manwha. You'd think that NW was simply a continuation of the original, but that isn't really true. NW is the wacky spinoff where Shioon briefly gains and then loses his ki in most arcs.

9 Arts Dragon was the most interesting character in the original, but he hasn't even been in NW, likely because he naturally overshadows the protagonist. It still doesn't really make sense that he hosed off for foreign lands. He is a korean martial artist from a society of korean martial artists. His enemies are korean martial artists who live in korea. His supporters are all korean martial artists, most of whom also live in korea. What the hell is he doing now if not trying to get revenge? Is he trying to kill all of the old bastards by thinking unkind thoughts about them from the other side of the planet?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Sarcophallus posted:

The Breaker: NW 102 is out.

Finally. After 102 chapters, it's happened. The longest tease of any manga I've read.

You say that as though this is now the status quo and the manwha won't backstep away from the current development as soon as this arc is over.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Serin's betrayal was probably orchestrated by the queen. She wanted to marry Nex and kill Serin almost as soon as she was introduced. She even said flat out that her first child wouldn't be by Nex. As for why Nex became such a bastard, the latest chapter seems to shed some light on it. If the corruption spreads and turns everyone in contact with it into twisted, powerful monsters then his scorched earth policy is in fact completely necessary. Doing that over and over again would be sure to warp someone who was originally a generic korean teenage boy, though I'm sure there is more to it.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Well, I guess that explains most of the background stuff for Cavalier of the Abyss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
If being a night clan is an inheritable trait and Nex really isn't one, Siana's father might not be Nex. If so, the remaining unrevealed backstory is going to be a doozy.