Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

I like my coffee with cream and lsd.
"Manhwa" is the term given to korean comics and can be considered the equivalent to a Japanese manga. There are a number of really awesome and totally underrated manhwa out there and the purpose of this thread is to give more exposure to them beyond mixing them in with the shounen/seinen threads. The other reason for this thread is to set up a home for the Korean-original comic style known as the webcomic or webtoon. These differ from manga in that they are designed in a one long page formant and most importantly, are in full color!

Now because the source material for these is obviously Korean, there are different honorifics used and having an good idea of what they are can make reading them flow much easier (but they don't seem to give any help in figuring out genders... Thanks ToG).

Stolen from Easy Going scans:

Oppa: A friendly way of addressing an older man or an older brother near your age if you are a girl.
Unni: A friendly way of addressing an older girl or an older sister near your age if you are a girl.
Nuna: A friendly way of addressing an older girl or an older sister near your age if you are a guy.
Hyung: A friendly way of addressing an older man or an older brother near your age if you are a guy.
Ajumma: Older woman around mid/late 30’s-early 50s. If you call a younger woman Ajumma is rather offensive.
Ajussi: Older man around mid/late 30’s-early 50’s. Korean men , especially those in their 30’s, prefer to be called hyung/oppa by those younger than them rather than ajussi.
Sunbae: Is used to address senior colleagues, classmates or mentor figures. For example students referring to more senior students in school as Sunbae. (Same as senpai in Japanese)
Hubae: Is used to refer to juniors. Might be a junior colleague or a classmate. For example students referring to younger students in school as Hubae. (Same as Kohai in Japanese)
Naeri: Was used by commoners in the Joseon Dynasty to refer to people of higher status but bellow “His Excellency”.
Seonsaeng: Commonly translated as “teacher” has more formality and is used to show respect to the addressee. (Same as the Japanese honorific Sensei)
Nim: a formal respectful way of addressing someone older than you.
Ssi: a formal way of addressing someone you do not know or are unfamiliar with.

Now onto the manhwa:

Shin Angyo Onshi:

This is definitely the best manhwa out there, and it's completed. It's one of my favorites of all time and if you haven't read it yet you are missing out. It's seinen so expect a lot of very detailed blood and guts. Anyway, here's the description according to mangareader:

"Jushin, which is modelled after feudal Korea. In Jushin, there once lived secret government agents called angyo onshi, who traveled the countryside in disguise. They were charged by the king to find and punish corrupt government officials, and bring justice to the country's citizens. Jushin has been destroyed, fractured into numerous fiefdoms and kingdoms, many of which are ruled by corrupt and tyrannical warlords. Shin Angyo Onshi follows the adventures of one of the remaining angyo onshi, Munsu, as he continues to wander the countryside and deals with the chaos caused by Jushin's fall. ong ago, in Jushin, special secret agents named "Angyo Onshi" wandered the country and restored the order. But now that Jushin is destroyed, only one is still wandering..."

Yureka:

"Jang Kun, Gwon Su, Woon Suk are average kids with average problems, but in the virtual world of Lost Saga, they go by the alias:user name Lotto, Boromir and Ah-Dol; they're heroes of the master class level or more so infamous troublemakers . They could become legends...if they can stop bickering long enough to level up. So whether it's werewolves running rampant or a gorgeous pair of thieves looking for revenge, our boys must be ready for anything.

Then one day Jang Kun, Lotto's real life self encounters a mysterious girl around his age, and ends up with her game card. What will he end up doing with it, and even furthermore how does it even connect with his gaming console? Is this more then what it seem to be, the mysterious game card with the name Yureka on it."

Yureka has been around for a long time (209+ chapters translated) and can be quite a bit confusing and frustrating at times, but overall it's probably the most well made MMO manhwa/manga out there.

Witch Hunter:

I've read this one and while I like what it's done so far, I have no idea what the latest arc is trying to accomplish and the author is making things unnecessarily complicated. Here's a description from Batoto:

"Witches suddenly declare war against humans, causing two-thirds of the world to fall apart. They summon monsters called "Supporters" and devastate human residences... but why?
Survivors gather people with the power to combat the witches and called them Witch Hunters! Tasha Godspell is one of the strongest nicknamed "The Marksman" along with his "Jack-O-Lantern" looking Supporter. He fights the witches but cannot really bring himself to hate them."

Id:

"We find Chunwha in a world beyond his own... There he will struggle to find his own purpose among the many inhabitants of the new world including elves, dwarves, and even mages! As we watch him grow in strength and spirit, the manhwaga creates fascinating characters out of his companions and adversaries and moves past the simple concept of the antagonist vs the protagonist.
To find out what fate has in store for our hero, follow Id in a fantastic adventure, exploring a world where anything is possible!"

I haven't read this one yet because for the longest time, the scans looked like someone photocopied tree bark but looking at the early chapters, the quality has increased a whole lot. It seems to be a bit generic and cliche, but done in an interesting and appealing way so I really need to read it. And so do you!

Veritas:

"Gangryong is a high schooler unlike others. He has always had a dream of being the strongest. One day he meets Youcheon, who teaches him a powerful skill. One year later, people come to see him and announce that his "master" is dead. Because he was his only student, Gangryong has to follow them and go to a school where everybody has supernatural powers to fight."

Veritas is my absolute favorite manhwa. It's basically has a cast of complete arrogant assholes from top to bottom and the art is absolutely gorgeous. The battle scenes are done so well that it's a tragedy that it was cancelled... Please, PLEASE read this because you'll be glad you did but I warn you, the ending is rushed and I still don't know what to make of it because of the aforementioned cancelling.

The Breaker:

"The new English teacher, Chun-Woo, is not your ordinary teacher. Shioon, a victim of constant bullying, unexpectedly witnesses Chun-Woo's fighting power, and begs him to make him his disciple. Chun-Woo claims he can teach Shioon only if he is truly determined, and Shioon must jump off a bridge into a deep river in order to prove it!

It turns out, however, that Chun-Woo and his powers are more than meets the eye. Shioon makes a grand entrance into the hidden world of martial arts, and he is about to be taught by the best there is!"

The Breaker is the source of inspiration for the thread title and is a lot like Veritas, but in my opinion and most of the other goons who read it, it's inferior to Veritas. The Breaker - New Waves is the continuation of the first story, but has been mostly a letdown so far but I think it's gotten to the point where it'll return to the quality of the original.

Dark Mage:

"Once... Humans and Orcs peacefully co-existed, but at some point humans got greedy and started a war claiming the Orcs` territory. The diety-Lord who created all, got angry with the humans` greed and decided to punish them with 3 catastrophes. One of them was the Dragons, divine creatures blessed with magic capable of doing almost anything. Now the Orcs, with a Dragon by their side, seem to have the upper hand. Will humans just sit back and see their land get destroyed? They are too devious for that... Their only good plan at that point is to abduct a Dragon to even things up. But how are they going to manage the capture of a being with so much power?"

Dark Mage is pretty awesome so far and it has a TON of potential. The main character's a freakin' hunchback and he still kicks all kinds of rear end!

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Alright, onto the Webcomics:

Pnumoman, I want to quote you here because I wanted to add a bit of information about Naver and the artists of the web comics.

pnumoman posted:

Also, please note that most of the webtoons, this one included, are done by professionals that are paid by the site that hosts them. The major site they're on is naver.com, Korea's #1 web portal (or so it was last time I checked). Usually the translators are good about providing a goo.gl link to the raw webtoon; when they do, I highly suggest going and giving the original creator a pageview or two. It is a quick, low effort way of legitimately supporting the creator, so don't be a dick and do it if you like the work!

As far as I am aware, the artists are paid by the number of views that their comic gets or by their rating (I would like some clarification on this) so if you would like to show your appreciation to them, please find and take a look at the comics in their raw format on Naver. Easy Going Scans translates a majority of the webcomics out there and whenever you click on the links they have on their site, you are linked to not only the translated chapter hosted by egscans, but also the raw chapter on naver. If at all possible, please use this method to read the chapters because it's a quick and easy way to support the authors, like pnomuman said above! Also, if you go to a webcomic's main page on Batoto, a link is given to the raw comic so that's another way to easily find the korean version without sifting through piles of moonrunes or browser translations.

Tower of God has its own thread so please check it out there!

Noblesse:

"For 820 years he had slumbered with no knowledge of mankind's advancement and scientific progress. The land which he once knew has become an unfamiliar place with new technology, attitudes, and lifestyles. Upon awakening, Cadis Etrama Di Raizel (aka Rai), seeks to familiarize himself with this era. He locates a loyal servant of his, Frankenstein, who is currently the principal of a South Korean High School. Rai decides that this school is the perfect place to help him learn about the modern world, enrolls, and begins associating a group of good-natured students in order to 'blend in'. But this new world is no safer than the old; and the dignified, bewildered, technologically inept Rai finds himself embroiled in adventures both ridiculous and dangerous."

Noblesse is probably the most well known webcomic, as it has 230 chapters out so far. Naturally, it is one of the best and is a must-read if you like the webcomic format. It's extremely shounen and there's tons and tons of fights so you won't be disappointed in any way.

Trace:

"The story set in the contemporary South Korea. Some 30 years ago, unidentified creatures appeared out of nowhere and have attacked people. They have caused massive destruction wherever they go. The monsters are called "Trouble", and get the world have fallen into chaos. Along with the first appearance of the "Troubles", some number of humans were born with or acquired supernatural abilities. These mutants called "Trace" are the only ones who can fight off the "Trouble". The "Trace" are also considered freaks and generally shunned by the community because some of them misused the powers for their own interest.

The plot revolves around two main characters. Sa Ghang-gwon, a high school student born as a "Trace" who attempts to hide his ability. The other is Kim Yun-sung, who acquired his "Trace" abilities during his early 30s. Soon after the acquisition, his wife and daughter were taken away from him for experimental purposes."

The jury seems to be out on Trace. Since it was the very first webcomic I read, I tend to hold it in a high regard and I thoroughly enjoyed it beginning to end. I would absolutely recommend this to any fan of shounen because of how unique and original it is. It's technically completed, but there's a sequel that recently started but it's been quite a bit different so far. See Trace 1.5 if you're interested.

Special Martial Arts Extreme Hell Private High School

"A teenager decides to enroll in a Martial Arts High school so he can learn how to defend himself and not get bullied anymore. But the school he chosen to enroll is not like all other typical martial arts schools and he will soon be caught up by a surprise…!"

This is one of the up and coming webcomics and I hear it keeps getting better and better. Hopefully it can be translated on a consistent basis. This one's pretty much a must read, so get on it!

ShinsoBEAM! posted:

Knight Run:

It's the future, mankind has lots of worlds aliens are invading and slowly destroying mankinds worlds. The aliens have these super alien's that just kind of destroy everything they touch so human's started the knight program which was to make humans with the capability of fighting these super aliens. The story covers 2 knights that are best friends and are the currently the strongest two knights despite their young age and are feared for their power by the very same government that uses them.

Personally I really like it and it is one of the few Korean Sci-fi's it seems to draw alot from other stories but check it out.

30+ translated over 100+ in raws.

pnumoman posted:

Girls of the Wilds

An all-girl's high school has admitted their first male student, and he happens to be a dude raising twins on his own. Did I mention that this high school is an elite fighting high school that holds a world-renowned fighting tournament? This is a story you've seen a million times, and let's be frank, this webtoon really hits all the cliches: a harem vibe, tragic hero, tsundere heroine, cute girl with completely unexplained catgirl ears, beatdowns, etc. BUT it has gorgeous, full color art, nicely fleshed out characters, and the fighting scenes are well done.

All in all, a highly derivative comic that is excellently executed.

KissWood (completed)

"Sul is a gardener living in the heart of a city - a veritable concrete jungle. He is an avid gardener and his yard is filled with rare plants which he tends with loving care. The townsfolk object to his practices and set his garden on fire, claiming that the plants are 'dangerous'. Sul is blinded in the blaze and admitted to a hospital, where he promptly lapses into a coma. While his niece anxiously awaits his revival, Sul finds himself trapped in a world full of many and varied trees; the likes of which he had never seen before. A world that, at first glance, appears to be his ideal utopia. But he soon discovers that there is unmistakeable cruelty lurking beneath the facade of beauty and tranquility..."

Magician (100+ chapters)

"In the village of Adatt, [Iremi], the tomboy granddaughter of a local witch, sees the infamous mage [Edermask] en route to her hometown. Wanting to find out who is stronger, she sets off to challenge him with her childhood friend [Enzu], a novice swordsman who is always being dragged around wherever she goes… However in the background there is a war going on between the two powerful nations Teodorl and Aleumhan in order to rule the sea!"

Paladin (40+ chapters)

"The country of Greenland, after losing the war to the Imperial Army, were in agony and despair for what will the future bring them. They had hired mercenaries to help them during the war and now they’ve come back to collect their reward while the country were still picking up their pieces of their broken dreams. By that time, the King has passed away and his heir was still too young to take up on the throne. After hearing the news of the King’s death the mercenaries decided to take over the throne and rule in his place. But there was an obstacle in their way... The Oracle!"

Ssen Nom (20+ chapters)

This one your average high school fighting comic but the art and action is extremely well done.

TAL (40+ chapters)

"They walk like ordinary people, they talk like ordinary people but in fact there is nothing ordinary about them since they can materialize an image they have on their mind... They call themselves Chachaoong which also means Shaman and they do not know how or when they came to this world. It is now a time for their current king to choose the future one and so he did by choosing Yu Jin an ordinary human...? Many of the Chachaoong can not tolerate a human ruling them and now the poor Yu Jin not knowing what suddenly hit him, is trying to avoid the Chachaoongs who are trying to kill him!"

The God of High School (50+ chapters)

"While an island half-disappears from the face of the earth, a mysterious organization is sends out invitations for a tournament to every skilled fighter in the world. “If you win you can have ANYTHING you want.” they claim.

They’re recruiting only the best to fight the best and claim the title of The God of High School!"

Transfer Student Storm Bringer (60+ chapters)

"Ju Ingong (which literally translates to Main character) has been terrifying all his schoolmates in every school he has been so far. He has one extremely scary face type and whoever lays his eyes on him thinks he is a BAMF. Although… is he really?"

Yeah, this is basically Angel Densetsu all over again, but it's fun nonetheless.

Kubera (60+ chapters)

"A girl with a god's name, Kubera. The god who's prophesied to bring great change into the world.
The story begins with Kubera in a remote mountain village with her family, But her life turns upside down as she witnesses the fiery end to her town and everyone she knows. Accompanied by a magician of riddles, watch as world trembles at the war against the gods."

ppp posted:

God of Bath

It's about working in a bath house and competing in the back scrubbing tournament, which is apparently a big deal. Only 2 chapters translated so far.
http://i.imgur.com/8pZQQ.jpg (too tall to thumbnail)

OneDeadman posted:

I posted this once before in the Shojo/Romance thread, but it bears repeating.

Annarasumnara

It's a short but sweet drama about a girl who is living with just her little sister ,whose dream was to be a magician when she was little, who meets a mysterious man who is calling himself a magician who lives in an old abandoned amusement park. It's mostly black and white with color here and there. It also uses a mixture of drawn stuff with papercraft and actual objects and way it all adds up leads to some awe-inspiring moments.

Also, there's this dude

It's a punpun thing

EDIT:also made by the person who does God of Bath weirdly enough.

Doc Hawkins posted:

Nowhere Boy

History's most popular reality game show has finally found him: The World's Unhappiest Person. As their prize for proving they are at an absolute psychological nadir, they are offered any one wish.

Seriously, anything. You might ask, how can they back that up? Because God, that's why.

Seriously.

Anyway, here's a shock, he wishes to die. Actually, the exact way he words it, God now has to destroy the world. Problem! To solve this, God arranges for the seventh-happiest* person in the world, as determined by a less depressing competition, to become the young man's homeroom teacher. Between her love and understanding of young men's manwha, and a crack team of interesting characters** undercover as students, she will make the eponymous Nowhere Boy become happy and retract his wish! Or God will destroy everything.

* Everyone ahead of her in line is disqualified for either dying, becoming less happy, or being committed.

** REDACTED

Gearhead posted:

Immortal Regis and its sequel Cavalier of the Abyss

Starting off with Immortal Regis...

Jae Hyuk is your average teenage guy with some family-related problems that get seriously sidetracked when he gets killed by a monster from another world, turned into a zombie, and carried off back home with her. It has definite shounen overtones, with a big school filled with crazies of various shades. And then about halfway through everything gets turned slightly off kilter, and keeps getting worse until everything explodes.

I have a hard time explaining Immortal Regis properly in that it's short (only 44 chapters) and takes such a strange and unexpected tangent, the best I can say is that it just might be a cautionary tale about trying to treat a fantasy world like an RPG.

Cavalier of the Abyss follows a 20 year timeskip...

Earth now hangs in the sky of the other world, with a quarter of it blasted to hell. The world is being run by an undead superman who calls himself Nex and dresses like Sol Badguy. The main character wants to murder the poo poo out of Nex and is, himself, another living dead guy.

What went wrong? Hell if I know. Yet.

Everything that went wrong in Immortal Regis led to this, but the writer likes to trickle the information on what happened in those 20 years only sparingly. We haven't gotten the whole story, just flashbacks to major events in the memories of returning characters. It replaces a chunk of the shounen 'level grinding' of the first series with court intrigue and Nex being a colossal rear end in a top hat for not immediately obvious reasons. (To M. Bison levels of 'For you it was the worst day of your life, but for me it was Tuesday.')

Why do I like it? I like it because the artist is drat good (holy crap, he uses a pen for contour shading instead of slapping screentone on everything!) and the plot does a great job of feeling like a runaway train. Nobody in the story is a big enough mastermind to pull off looking like they have any ability to really grab hold of events at all.

Well, that's what I have so far. If there are other manhwas or webcomics that you guys think should be added please post them and maybe write up a short summary or your opinion on it and I'll add it to the OP! Same goes if you think any changes should be made, just let me know.

Reiche fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Apr 8, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

I may as well get it started as a new chapter of The Breaker - New Waves is out.

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

ShinsoBEAM! posted:

Great OP

Here is one more

Knight Run - It's the future, mankind has lots of worlds aliens are invading and slowly destroying mankinds worlds. The aliens have these super alien's that just kind of destroy everything they touch so human's started the knight program which was to make humans with the capability of fighting these super aliens. The story covers 2 knights that are best friends and are the currently the strongest two knights despite their young age and are feared for their power by the very same government that uses them.

Personally I really like it and it is one of the few Korean Sci-fi's it seems to draw alot from other stories but check it out.

30+ translated over 100+ in raws.

Ooooh, I did not know about this one, thanks! Adding it to the OP now.

Dickeye posted:

Let me tell you why Geukji High is so good.

There's a cat named Oscar de la Hoya who tries to gently caress a motorcycle, a boy gets Goku hair from a handshake, and his powers are going to be unlocked by a massage chair that runs on a Harley-Davidson engine.

Also a girl fights a bear.

And we're only five chapters in.

You're in luck! Chapters 6 and 7 are out too!

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

I'm currently updating the OP with your suggestions, and I added this part to the webcomic section that you all should take to heart!

"Pnumoman, I want to quote you here because I wanted to add a bit of information about Naver and the artists of the web comics.

pnumoman posted:

Also, please note that most of the webtoons, this one included, are done by professionals that are paid by the site that hosts them. The major site they're on is naver.com, Korea's #1 web portal (or so it was last time I checked). Usually the translators are good about providing a goo.gl link to the raw webtoon; when they do, I highly suggest going and giving the original creator a pageview or two. It is a quick, low effort way of legitimately supporting the creator, so don't be a dick and do it if you like the work!

As far as I am aware, the artists are paid by the number of views that their comic gets or by their rating (I would like some clarification on this) so if you would like to show your appreciation to them, please find and take a look at the comics in their raw format on Naver. Easy Going Scans translates a majority of the webcomics out there and whenever you click on the links they have on their site, you are linked to not only the translated chapter hosted by egscans, but also the raw chapter on naver. If at all possible, please use this method to read the chapters because it's a quick and easy way to support the authors, like pnumoman said above! Also, if you go to a webcomic's main page on Batoto, a link is given to the raw comic so that's another way to easily find the korean version without sifting through piles of moonrunes or browser translations."

Reiche fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Apr 8, 2012

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

Serious Frolicking posted:

New chapter: http://mangafox.me/manga/noblesse/v04/c231/1.html

It is strange, but I find that I look forward to noblesse every week more than any other manga or manwha.

Here's the link to the high quality version and raw. Gotta support the artist!

I love this series for how incredibly overpowered the protagonists have remained throughout. I like that it's been about the growth of M-21 and the others while Rai and Frankenstein (and Seira) just bust everything up when they feel like it.

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

Dark Mage 21 is out.

And I'll update the OP with the other suggestions later today.

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

Deki posted:

Man, it's going to be a long wait until the next chapter is done.

Here's the link to Egscans.

And, Oh My God. Why is this not the absolute number 1 priority for translation right now?

Buddha Nipple vibration rockets.

I can't wait for the next chapter already!

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

Frome posted:

Noblesse 237

Good to see Rai's knights gain another member.

I still love it that she blushes every time she's complimented. :3:

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

Well that's what I've been waiting for from him for the entire series. That two page spread was nothing short of incredible.

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

vkeios posted:

Chapter 78 of New Waves is out.

drat, Shiwoon is great in this one.

It's foot techniques all the way down.

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

DrSunshine posted:

Has anyone ever read Space China Dress? I just browsed by it recently, and it's been very entertaining. It's about a girl in a Chinese dress with tuna cans for hair-buns, who enters a Space Shaolin martial arts tournament. Along the way, she beats a lot of badguys up and generally causes a lot of mayhem. It's got sort of a Shaolin Soccer / Kung-Fu Hustle-esque comic wackiness and upbeat feel to it.
I've been keeping up with it and it's been pretty great so far!

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

I don't know how many of you keep up with Magician but it has really been upping the quality over the last couple arcs. The current battle is really awesome and we finally get to see some serious payoff in regards to a few of the main characters. The way the story is progressing is turning out to be super interesting too so I find myself looking forward to each new chapter moreso than a lot of other mangas/manhwas. If you haven't looked into it yet, it's totally worth it.

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

I've been meaning to give my OP an update for a bit but I'm lazy and was waiting until I got noticed. I'll work on it in the next few days. If there are new series I should add or any other suggested changes, don't hesitate to let me know!

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

Koala posted:

I was getting pretty close to abandoning ship for a while to wait for it to get good again. Glad I stuck around for sure, also is Breaker on break this week?
Yeah, the translators said it was on hiatus for a while. But the author did releas this wallpaper:

http://mngacow.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/nw1920X1200.jpg

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

Tornhelm posted:

Other emergency manwhas - Ability, The Breaker (New Waves), City of Dead Sorcerers, Dragon's Son Changsik, I Don't Want This Kind of Hero, Special Martial Arts Extreme Hell Private High School, The God of High School, Tower of God.

The most notable two to avoid now are Killer Stall or Veritas (the cancellation & rushed ending is secret Korean drama depression).

Why is Killer Stall to be avoided? I've read the first ~15 chapters and remember it being entertaining at least. I know it's been updated a bunch since then so I'm wondering if something happens.

Veritas will always be one of my guilty pleasure manwhas because it absolutely kicked rear end when it was still coming out.

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

Sindai posted:

You'd think martial artists of all people would know to be more wary of perfectly serene old men.

Yeah, he even had the Claymore "eyes half-open and completely nonchalant" act going too. They had no chance against him.

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

Lyon posted:

The translation seems kind of lovely, but I assume that Goomoonryong was telling his soldiers that they were all going to die if they attacked the head of the Murim? I forget his name but he is Three-Arts Dragon and the claim was the only reason he didn't claim more of the titles was out of propriety/respect. Seems like Goomoonryong doesn't care about his comrades all that much.

That's how I parsed it. Yo can we have a crack at this guy? Sure, but you better believe he's gonna murder you straight up. And then they get straight up murdered.

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

Flython posted:

It was too good for this world.

I hope it hasn't been dropped like Space China Dress.

Dropped by translators or is the story dropped altogether?

Anyways, I want to update the OP with is quite out of date by this point so I'm looking for input on what series to include! Should I just update this thread or make a new one?

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

Trace is kind of unfortunate in my eyes... The original (1.0 I guess since there's Trace 1.5 and 2.0 or whatever) was the first webcomic I ever read and I really liked the story. There's been basically no translations for the sequels though because of a pay-wall I believe.

I liked what little has come out of Trace 1.5 (the story with the drug-saliva Trace and Trouble-friend) but I can't even read what's come out of 2.0.

Batoto has a list of the different series at least: http://www.batoto.net/comic/_/comics/trace-r112

Reiche fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Feb 25, 2014

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

Are chapters of Magician coming out? I thought it was on a break until sometime this November after the last arc.

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

Punc posted:

Not sure who is still following Noblesse, but Chapter 349 is out.
In which Regis prepares himself to gently caress poo poo up :getin:

You should also read it on the official website!

http://m.webtoons.com/viewer?titleNo=87&episodeNo=349

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

That Works posted:

Elder Kwon is the secret MC of New Waves. Enjoy it when he starts being all :black101:
Man once the old guff starts to grow on you, every scene he's in is great!

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

khy posted:

Reiche, you should consider updating the OP. Many links are out of date.

Seeing as I just had knee surgery a few days ago, I have all the time in the world to do this!

Should I just update the OP or is it time for a new thread? Also, how about some help with what series I should include. I read a bunch, but I know there's a so much more out there.

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

Voted Worst Mom posted:

If you don't include god of high school that'd be a tragedy imo
I wouldn't think of it! Batshit insanity of this caliber deserves attention.

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

Thanks guys! I'll be sure to include any official release sites that I know. I don't read much of the romance or shoujo webtoons so they're what I need the most help with. I actively follow most of the suggestions so far.

In the meantime, here's a new one I find really intriguing, http://bato.to/comic/_/comics/m%c3%a4rchen-the-embodiment-of-tales-r13425

"The ability to become stronger just be reading...
The strange tale(s) of Marchen and his ability". I highly recommend it so far!

Reiche fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Mar 10, 2015

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

Reiche posted:

In the meantime, here's a new one I find really intriguing, http://bato.to/comic/_/comics/m%c3%a4rchen-the-embodiment-of-tales-r13425

"The ability to become stronger just be reading...
The strange tale(s) of Marchen and his ability". I highly recommend it so far!

Ugh I hate posting on the bottom of a page, but this thread is almost done with so, another post!

Also, yes, I love DICE! That's really interesting to know about the music! I may give it another read to do so!

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

This payoff in New Waves has been so incredibly worth it, these last chapters have been what I'm looking forward too the most along with One Piece and Toriko.

I should have the new OP over the weekend sometime too.

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

If you're enjoying Gosu, you should check out Yongni the Invincible! It's still being translated but it does takes place in the same world a couple generations before Gosu is set. It's definitely of the same quality and it's a lot of fun

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

So, this thread has been around for a long time and I've been wanting to update it for a few years now but I'm pretty lazy and don't post much... However I'm bed/couch ridden for the next few days after surgery and the pain meds are are just right so I want to start up a new thread with a good effort-post!

I've been a huge fan of korean webtoons and manhwa since they first started getting fan-translated and I'm hoping to bring some more discussion about popular or lesser-known ones you guys like. Especially now that there are free official places to access them such as Webtoons.com which has tons of popular comics of every genre. Going with the non-Japanese theme, a ton of chinese manhua are being translated nowadays, mostly of the the wuxia (martial arts cultivation) variety, and there's a number of those I enjoy. Mostly, comics in color are more fun!

With that in mind I'd like to get some suggestions for webtoons and manhwa/manhua you all recommend. I want to come up with a good spread of ones to highlight in a new thread. It's late now but I'll come up with a list of my favorites too.

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

Bring back Veritas instead

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

Jose posted:

The op of this thread is old enough now to talk about Id which is really the description is perfect. I have no idea if it finished

I can’t believe I have The Breaker in the OP and it’s still coming out! Albeit with some lengthy breaks. The current iteration started out pretty slow but the current arc is exactly what I want in this story

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

ATP_Power posted:

What happened to Sword Sheath's Child? Scan sites I found for it just stopped updating like last year and I'm not sure if it's on a break or it got dropped for some reason. Some real great art and character designs in it.

Most webtoons eventually take a few month break at the end of “seasons” to work on future material and rest their overworked bodies.

From what I know, webtoons that haven’t sold that well or aren’t popular enough simply don’t get a new season. Sword Sheathe’s Child is loving awesome and the art is among the best I’ve ever seen in a webtoon so I reeeeaaaalllly hope it’s coming back

There’s honestly like a dozen or more wentoons I enjoy that are on mystery length breaks and at this point who knows how many will come back :(

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

Jose posted:

a ton of the trash i read is on break at the minute or just finished so could do with some recommendations. i just caught up to i get stronger the more i eat. Since asura scans put out a truly ludicrous amount of poo poo i read a lot of it on the toilet while at work but most of that is fairly short. Something in the 50-80 chapter range or a lot longer will do. Action oriented mostly I suppose. Ideally stuff on webtoons where possible unless its one of the stupid situations where its months behind unless you pay for a ton of chapters. I pay for a couple to keep fully up to date that don't have any scan group on them but it sucks the situation is so bad

Hey Jose, do you read SSS-Class Suicide Hunter? Season 3 just dropped today (after a loooong break) on Asura Scans and imo it’s one of the very best out there. The last arc of season 1 was so drat good and emotional.

Reiche fucked around with this message at 21:00 on May 25, 2023

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

knight king who returned with a god is mostly very mid, but i fuckin' love jagd spinne. it's an autonomous combat robot spider that became a holy knight.

Lil spider knight is cool as hell

Everyone being extra horrified by the MC’s intense Orc racism was funny but I’m hoping the story isn’t going to keep retreading that or else I’ll drop it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

Jose posted:

Seems like a bunch of the translating sites are getting cracked down on since they've suddenly started linking to discords instead

I feel like they go through crackdowns every few months before they all shuffle their sites again