Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
corpuscollossus
Apr 19, 2007
I registered on the forums 5 years ago, but was following the front page for 2 or 3 years before that. Back then I was green, I found the low-brow "gently caress everything"-take refreshing, but looking back at the early days, I'm really disgusted at the sorts of things I lowered myself to laugh at.

A few lowlights, picked at random:

TRIGGER WARNING: Rape, Racism, Homophobia, Ableism, Sexism, Bestiality

(Paskiewicz, 2005) posted:

My dreams of giving back to the community have blossomed into a working support program, despite all the mail bombs responding to my stance on aborting ghetto fetuses and turning them into nutritious smoothies...

When chasing a flock of perspective nerds to be pummeled, don't let yourself be led astray by any of the Japanese foreign exchange students. Sure, they are a tempting target because of their small stature and strange looks, but they are swift like the eastern wind and you will waste your time chasing them.

(Parsons, 2003) posted:

An example of ironic rape would be a rapist who has the tables turned and gets raped while out on the prowl. Not funny, although a few of you might chuckle. An example of bizarre rape would be a giraffe raping someone. That's funnier, but still not a family friendly piece of entertainment. When you combine bizarre and ironic though, you get an example of rape at its funniest. Who among us would not feel their belly begin to jiggle upon witnessing a known rapist being chased and violated by a giraffe?

Yablonski, 2007 posted:

See, this is what happens when God has to work under a tight deadline. Corners are cut, budgets are slashed, and poo poo like this gets pumped out like a stream of diarrhea from a bloated hobo's rancid rear end. There aren't enough date rape drugs in the WORLD to get this lardskulled blimp a handjob.

We've come a long, long way.

Fortunately, if anything like this were posted in the live forums now, it would be met with an immediate ban, and I for one welcome this liberation from patriarchal, privileged hate speech.

That said, there's still a fair number of the old guard left here, and it's understandable that some confusion exists around what are acceptable modes of thought and expression.

For that reason, I suggest we bring all the stakeholders of this community together and develop a posting manifesto of sorts - a bill of rights and responsibilities that makes the boundaries a little clearer for everyone. It's okay to poke a little fun here and there, but lets not let humour get in the way of getting along.

Thoughts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
I too hate jokes, and the very prospect of humour. Thank you for making a stand to get rid of these things to make these forums the Most Troll Free on the Internet.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
Why does nobody seem to know this is part of FYAD

Dusz
Mar 5, 2005

SORE IN THE ASS that it even exists!
Internet Forums Stakeholder.

corpuscollossus
Apr 19, 2007

Psalmanazar posted:

Why does nobody seem to know this is part of FYAD

I've posted three or four times in fyad and rarely at all since LF closed.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

corpuscollossus posted:

Thoughts?

None of those posts would be met with an immediate ban.

But keep up the good work.

Laser Spider
Jan 28, 2009

corpuscollossus posted:

lets not let humour get in the way of getting along.

--corpuscollossus, on a forum for a comedy site dedicated to making fun of things on the Internet, 2012

Really, this is just the Internet, no one cares. If you're the type who needs these "trigger warnings" lest you completely spaz out at a few words in a post then maybe this isn't the place for you.

Edit: There are probably two or three threads in E/N or D&D or something where the posters there care about such things, so I guess you can seek them out.

Jive One
Sep 11, 2001

Offensive satire is a foundation of SA humor. How can the stars shine without the night?

tetsuo
May 12, 2001

I am a shaman, magician
probably people should be prompted to include possible trigger warnings in their threads and posts so that
a) they don't have to type them out in the post and thread title and
b) they can be automatically filtered so no one has to even read the word "rape" if, for example, that is a trigger word for them.

edit: sorry, to clarify: there would be some checkboxes like the thread-tag selection so you could check them off before posting a thread/reply.
edit 2: quick mockup, forgive my poor html skills

edit 3: i guess the section would need to be a collapsable div that starts out collapsed so people don't inadvertantly trigger themselves before using it.

rubber cat
Jul 1, 2002
Maybe there should be an optional $5 account upgrade that censors out bad words? That way, everybody wins. Just an idea.

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer
I always thought it was a balance. If a joke is very funny and a little offensive, its praised. If its offensive and stupid, its probated/banned. This has always been the case, but in recent years less offensiveness(and certain types in particular) has been tolerated.
So why do people keep complaining about this?

The Anime Turnpike
Dec 30, 2010

I believe our forums should not be stained by humor. If we could get all the cisgendedered white males out these would be the most Troll Free Forumii again.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

tetsuo posted:

I'm sorry...are you really suggesting that dogs are on the same level as racism???// HOly hell, I thought we were past this

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

GulagDolls posted:

I'm sorry...are you really suggesting that dogs are on the same level as racism???// HOly hell, I thought we were past this

Some people are offended or scared by dogs, there's no reason to leave them out. Don't be so close-minded!

.DAT Azz
Jan 8, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
You know when a dog starts to randomly hump your leg and look up into your eyes with it's pink slip of ham tongue lolling out and about?

That's rape.

falcon2424
May 2, 2005

tetsuo posted:

probably people should be prompted to include possible trigger warnings in their threads and posts so that

edit 3: i guess the section would need to be a collapsable div that starts out collapsed so people don't inadvertantly trigger themselves before using it.

This is an excellent idea, and it doesn't go nearly far enough. We should expand your check-boxes into tags of stuff that isn't triggered. So, 'cats.only' or 'oppose.violence'.

This would let us make tag clouds. They could add a beautiful web-2.0 aspect to the forums. And it would let people check how right-thinking their posts are, before they make them.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Ok guys ... i'm gonna go for it, im gonna be a fyad superstar ... here it goes!!

SO HOW BOUT THEM TRIGGER WORDS EH GUYS? EH? TRIGGER WORDS GET IT?! IT'S FUNNY BECAUSE THEY UPSET RAPE VICTIMS!

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

SomeChump posted:

Ok guys ... i'm gonna go for it, im gonna be a fyad superstar ... here it goes!!

SO HOW BOUT THEM TRIGGER WORDS EH GUYS? EH? TRIGGER WORDS GET IT?! IT'S FUNNY BECAUSE THEY UPSET RAPE VICTIMS!

.DAT Azz
Jan 8, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

SomeChump posted:

I'm The Manchurian Candidate except when I'm triggered I cry instead of assassinate.

iCe-CuBe.
Jun 9, 2011

Gravy Jones posted:

You're right, a probation, then. It would probably have the text "Boring troll, troll harder next time" as if trying hard to troll someone would somehow make it unbannable? I don't know, I don't really get it.

Art Alexakis
Mar 27, 2008

Gravy Jones posted:

They absolutely would. Sorry to say, but the [GENDERED INSULT] in the OP is right.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

My girlfriend was sexually assaulted as a child, so yeah, she doesn't like rape jokes, Similarly, my housemate has been subjected to several sexual assaults thoughout her life an as a result finds the concept of penatrative sex terrifying. This whole anti-PC meme is of mocking and denigrating vulnerable people in society is completely hosed up. It doesn't matter how many layers of 'ironic' detatchment and contempt you put behind these comments, you're mocking the very real suffering of people who didn't have the same advantages and social privileges most of us have had in life and have suffered for it. You should be ashamed of yourselves.

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

more like a Barking Dog, woof!

SomeChump posted:

My girlfriend was sexually assaulted as a child, so yeah, she doesn't like rape jokes, Similarly, my housemate has been subjected to several sexual assaults thoughout her life an as a result finds the concept of penatrative sex terrifying. This whole anti-PC meme is of mocking and denigrating vulnerable people in society is completely hosed up. It doesn't matter how many layers of 'ironic' detatchment and contempt you put behind these comments, you're mocking the very real suffering of people who didn't have the same advantages and social privileges most of us have had in life and have suffered for it. You should be ashamed of yourselves.

That sucks man. Maybe you should try posting at a more friendly place for raped people, like wddp.org

Art Alexakis
Mar 27, 2008

SomeChump posted:

I'm sorry your girlfriend went through that and for the most part I agree with your sentiment.
But I see humor as a tool to point out the general absurdity of the world and the hosed up poo poo that goes on in it. I don't think rape is particularly funny, but I also don't think jokes about it should be outlawed.
I was hospitalized during a depressive episode. It was the most traumatic episode of my life (obviously less traumatic than rape), but I joke about it.
The fact of the matter is that Something Awful is a website forged on its reputation for edgy and transgressive humor. Maybe those who are too sensitive shouldn't read it.

Again, not trying to make light of your girlfriends situation.

Mister_Bastard
Nov 26, 2007

SomeChump posted:

Stick a gun in your mouth and pull the trigger, word.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I'm emotionally damaged enough that reading words on an internet forum will set me off. Hmm, better pay ten bucks to join this internet forum known for it's edgy humor and then bitch because it is edgy!

*posts only in E/N, never produces anything even the least bit funny, gets pissy about pronouns*

U NO WUT IM SAIYAN
Jan 26, 2003

by angerbeet
*gets a custom title with human being in it, whines in QCS until a mod changes it*

Pork Lift
Oct 9, 2007

Winner of the 2012
:dong: Highway Traffic :dong:
Prediction Razzies

When someone makes a racist joke or talks bad about a gay persyn or something and I laugh, that makes me a bad privilege man and that makes me feel bad. You are making me a bigot with your jokes and I do not like that. Stop making jokes that make me a bigot. Stop making jokes.

broshame
Jan 17, 2012
So an attractive woman walks into a bar and the bartender whistles and says to her "i can tell you are getting lucky tonight", she laughs and says "how can you tell?" to which the bartender responds "because i'm stronger then you"

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Privilege: a made up word that lets you look down your nose at anyone who disagrees with you

Pork Lift
Oct 9, 2007

Winner of the 2012
:dong: Highway Traffic :dong:
Prediction Razzies

broshame posted:

So an attractive woman walks into a bar and the bartender whistles and says to her "i can tell you are getting lucky tonight", she laughs and says "how can you tell?" to which the bartender responds "because i'm stronger then you"

Under the corpuscollossus bill of acceptable posting, you will be the first to hang.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

-Troika- posted:

Privilege: a made up word that lets you look down your nose at anyone who disagrees with you

Oh, of course you would say that... check your privilege, dude.

manyak
Jan 26, 2006
I wish these people (FYADs mostly) would realize that there are a limited number of mods and admins on this site -- many of whom have their own lives and tech support jobs outside of SA, and are working as mods "pro bono" out of the kindness of their hearts -- and they can only do so much with what they're given. Each post can contain dozens of words, or in the case of intellectual discussion forums like D&D or Traditional games, sometimes hundreds. Can you imagine the manpower required to read each word, dissect for tone, intent, etc? If you can think of a better way to keep these forums troll-free and joke-free than banning certain "trigger" words on sight, I'd like to hear it.

niebezimienny
Dec 29, 2008
It's simple - we kill the jokemen.

Ruddha
Jan 21, 2006

when you realize how cool and retarded everything is you will tilt your head back and laugh at the sky
Making jokes is really fun but I don't think getting mad about jokes is very good or making people not post because of jokes is also bad. This is my opinion, and I am not trolling, so please don't get mad. Thank you for reading, to all OPs involved.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

SomeChump posted:

link to the place where rape victims were mocked

Top Bunk Wanker
Jan 31, 2005

Top Trump Anger

Daniel J. Geduld posted:

They absolutely would. Sorry to say, but the [GENDERED INSULT] in the OP is right.

It would mainly depend on the postcount of the person that posted it. If it's positive, then they were probably just being a jerk, but if their postcount is negative, they're definitely being a Boring troll and need a week off at a minimum.

KILLALLNERDS.EXE
Oct 12, 2009
Contrary to what you believe OP, you are part of the problem, not the solution.

Art Alexakis
Mar 27, 2008

broshame posted:

nice biotruth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Chemtrail Clem posted:

I wish these people (FYADs mostly) would realize that there are a limited number of mods and admins on this site -- many of whom have their own lives and tech support jobs outside of SA, and are working as mods "pro bono" out of the kindness of their hearts -- and they can only do so much with what they're given. Each post can contain dozens of words, or in the case of intellectual discussion forums like D&D or Traditional games, sometimes hundreds. Can you imagine the manpower required to read each word, dissect for tone, intent, etc? If you can think of a better way to keep these forums troll-free and joke-free than banning certain "trigger" words on sight, I'd like to hear it.

I agree, D&D and Trad Games should be shut down.