Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
manyak
Jan 26, 2006

Whizbang posted:

I agree, D&D and Trad Games should be shut down.

I hope youre joking because that's not what I meant to imply at all. Traditional Games is one of the only places left on this forum where you can actually read good content-filled posts without too many people trying to "goof off" or mess around (outside of the Grognards thread obviously).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Didja Redo
Jan 24, 2010

Wanna try my freedom meat BBQ meat?

Daniel J. Geduld posted:

I was hospitalized during a depressive episode. It was the most traumatic episode of my life (obviously less traumatic than rape), but I joke about it.

Yeah but there's a difference between you joking about your own trauma (which is great that you can do that) and you joking about someone else's trauma.

"Ha ha, i was hospitalised" followed by "ha ha, you loving loser" is one thing, but "hello, my name is such and such and i am a rape victim" followed by "ha ha, you loving loser, wait why are you crying, what's wrong with you, don't you understand that humour is just a tool to" is not that thing, it isn't very good.

I can see the "Don't come here if you don't like this stuff" argument, but I can also see how someone might just want to chill and talk about football or books or vegan recipes without having to tread through a rape minefield. Perhaps the solution is to follow the example of restaurants and have designated raping/no raping zones for each forum.

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002

There's a lot of hosed up and weird people, on this comedy forum website, who do not ever post jokes, do not enjoy jokes or indeed even laughing, and have coined a derogatory term for people who make jokes. They're all missionaries drawn here by the allure of the fertile lands of videos of a severely asthmatic man playing Megaman games, and interesting philosophical quandries posted by the fake PTSD guy about the nature of doors and windows in Dungeons and Dragons. They are wise men here to educate a savage, uneducated, indigenous sort. It is a sonorous, musical form of education; a greasy collective amasses on the front line of the battle against social injustice, the video game subforum on a message board that has a drop down menu that makes light of the holocaust on every single page, and sings a shrill harmony that permeates the very aether, making my pets feel unsafe, when a video game muscle man calls Catwoman a bitch. They have picked their battles well, and I note from my foxhole that I am running out of ammunition, chiefly in the form of the increasingly finite number of ways I can frame this absurd situation with the English language. I clench my fists and yell "anime" towards an uncaring, absent God, and swear solemnly to press my thumbs into Chocolate America's eyeballs until he is blinded, to directly emasculate sporting figures, to beat the poo poo out of tumblr users with baseball bats, and to quietly appreciate what Waylon Smithers being gay means to me.

starbu.cx
Jul 13, 2004

Chimney Sweeps Week posted:

There's a lot of hosed up and weird people, on this comedy forum website, who do not ever post jokes, do not enjoy jokes or indeed even laughing, and have coined a derogatory term for people who make jokes. They're all missionaries drawn here by the allure of the fertile lands of videos of a severely asthmatic man playing Megaman games, and interesting philosophical quandries posted by the fake PTSD guy about the nature of doors and windows in Dungeons and Dragons. They are wise men here to educate a savage, uneducated, indigenous sort. It is a sonorous, musical form of education; a greasy collective amasses on the front line of the battle against social injustice, the video game subforum on a message board that has a drop down menu that makes light of the holocaust on every single page, and sings a shrill harmony that permeates the very aether, making my pets feel unsafe, when a video game muscle man calls Catwoman a bitch. They have picked their battles well, and I note from my foxhole that I am running out of ammunition, chiefly in the form of the increasingly finite number of ways I can frame this absurd situation with the English language. I clench my fists and yell "anime" towards an uncaring, absent God, and swear solemnly to press my thumbs into Chocolate America's eyeballs until he is blinded, to directly emasculate sporting figures, to beat the poo poo out of tumblr users with baseball bats, and to quietly appreciate what Waylon Smithers being gay means to me.

iCe-CuBe.
Jun 9, 2011

Didja Redo posted:

Yeah but there's a difference between you joking about your own trauma (which is great that you can do that) and you joking about someone else's trauma.

"Ha ha, i was hospitalised" followed by "ha ha, you loving loser" is one thing, but "hello, my name is such and such and i am a rape victim" followed by "ha ha, you loving loser, wait why are you crying, what's wrong with you, don't you understand that humour is just a tool to" is not that thing, it isn't very good.

I can see the "Don't come here if you don't like this stuff" argument, but I can also see how someone might just want to chill and talk about football or books or vegan recipes without having to tread through a rape minefield. Perhaps the solution is to follow the example of restaurants and have designated raping/no raping zones for each forum.

In what loving context do rape and football/vegan recipes intersect? I'm pretty sure the only places people talk about rape on these forums are the loving stupid fifty-thousand page megathreads devoted to video games and feminism and combinations of the two. It's not "lol this si so twisted and yet I can not stop laughing FYAD bitch", it's just exasperation at this bizarre overreaction that's everywhere on these forums and it's always done in the most smug loving way possible, usually by weird suburban white kids. LF may have lost the battle but it has won the war...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

Point Taken