Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
Seems like the door past your legs is really small. It's not the only entrance, is it? Gonna need some serious Ikea flat-pack furnishings up in there if so. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
Oh heh. It looks like windows casting light on a wall in the next room. :downs:

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
How do you forget to turn it off? It's really bright.

Just how much are you drinking at night, buddy? :v:

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
I like that you're burning down an entire house in slow motion.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

kastein posted:

The fire department put the kibosh on burning more until I have a proper outdoor fireplace put together and inspected by their head honcho. So that's unfortunately out for now...

Half-bury an old bathtub.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
Build miniature castle walls and battlements with a wee moat 'round them if you want to class it up. :scotland:

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
Is this the 4-turbine VTOL guys?

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

kastein posted:

Of course when I bought it, I had no idea CAFCI breakers were even required and hadn't learned to check breaker prices before panel purchase.

Like printers and ink, heh.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

Liquid Communism posted:

Why in the world would you leave a gap for wire-run between a brick front and a stud wall like that, in a country with so many things you'd really rather not have crawling between your walls?

No-Man's-Land/DMZ filled with cyanide gas, of course. No matter how mad you are, DO NOT PUNCH THE WALLS.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

kastein posted:

And yes, breaker panels are just like printers/ink and disposable razors/blade refills, it seems. Learn from my mistake.

Next time, buy the Merkur Progress of breaker panels. Whatever that turns out to be.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
Tip it out a window. Not like a 2 story drop into dirt will bother it.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
Aaand bullet dodged. Well, you landed in more bullets, I guess, but hey. v:v:v

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

Liquid Communism posted:

Hey, if nothing else, at the end of the day you'll know this poo poo isn't hosed up anymore when you're done. That's peace of mind that I'd love to have.

Fully expecting tornado/earthquake/lahar hours after he tells us his goals are finally accomplished. :v:

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
I feel sort of bad saying this, but dude, you might want to stop for a couple weeks and get some other stuff done. Or sleep a lot.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

Dragyn posted:

you're an inspiration to us all.

And/Or a potent cautionary example. :v:

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

The Canadian Olypmics are so much cooler.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
Other end of the yard?

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

kastein posted:

Some of the cracks in the wall of my old bedroom, the living room, and the front entryway are already closing up and the floor feels a hell of a lot more level and less bouncy.

This is really cool and really terrifying in equal measure.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
Thanks to this thread and others like it, I frankly expect the worst at all times with regards to home construction/repair. It seems like anything done right is a sweet note in an otherwise rotten and festering symphony.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

kastein posted:

Maybe next spring.

[...]

This is why you should stay on top of repairs instead of waiting too long. If this had been tackled in say 2002 it would have been an afternoon repair job most likely.

I am getting mixed messages. :colbert:

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

LoreOfSerpents posted:

We lived in the house the whole time, and I am so, so sorry for what you're going through on your house and your parents' house.

This thread is Calvin's dad saying "It builds character!" pretty much every page.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
If you've had a recent survey, maybe it's time for a fence. I'm thinking 20-foot tall earthwork berm maybe.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
This seems suspiciously familiar to last winter's concrete prayer meeting in this thread.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
Yeah, predicted to drop to 10 degrees plus 35mph winds tonight in my part of VA (and I broke the drat zipper on my drat coat today :shepicide:). Since usually it's in the 40s/50s here when New England is getting snow, I assume it's probably cold enough to gel gasoline up there tonight. :v:

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
:confuoot:

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

kastein posted:

drat, didn't fool anyone with that one I guess.

Less of a prank and more of a coin flip. :v:

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
Also a weighted net. And a spiked arm guard.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

kastein posted:

the raccoons aren't going to bother anyone anymore

Ha, that can't be true. You didn't kill them.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
Put 'em out an upstairs window and post yard impact depths with pics. :clint:

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
All that work is a great cover to point to while shaking his head vigorously and denying all charges. And he is kind of a "long-view"/"7 Ps" type.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
Well, now I have a mental image of a house writhing down the street with a lovely giant chimney and various sections of different color shingles, the walls tilting steeply outward at the bottoms with first-floor windows three inches off the ground, and Hellaflush and shocker stickers all over an oversize leaky Ebay skylight being used as a picture window for the no-permits breakfast nook and garret installed off the upstairs half-bath. The V-TEC kicks in washing machine hits the spin cycle and of course it comes into the next turn way too hot. It rolls, throwing shattered MDF and Toblerone wrappers everywhere. What comes to rest in a neighbor's garden is just a two-story roll cage with an upside-down goonthrone suspended in the center from a torn four-point pleather harness. A helmet with a head in it drips slowly at the end of a HANS bolted to the headrest.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
Just needs a shoeshine bar.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

kastein posted:

I've already got my "forever home" plans pretty much set in stone, but thanks for the ideas!

Literally, if I recall correctly. :v:

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
Is there any potential problem with two vapor barriers stacked? Like mold from them forming an envelope?

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
A clamp frame that holds it top and bottom, attached to a pair of ropes that run from some weights through a couple of bent rebar stakes, up through a pair of pulleys hung from the gable hook, and down to a ratcheting winch. Put a couple of skateboard wheels on the house side of the frame if needed. That's a one-man setup that would just take some rope, some 2x4s, a couple pieces of rebar, a 2-channel pulley and a comealong winch, and random demo/auto debris for the weighted end of the ropes.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's a shame your vehicles are all hosed, because you could build a work deck with some ratchet straps and a board or three across the roofs of two jeeps nose to nose.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
gently caress the haters, I think that's a pretty good solution. I probably would've tried to get a rail on the far side but overall it looks effective with no excess.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
Geneva Convention still applies.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

kastein posted:

I had more to worry about than falling off the sides, like falling down the drat thing. Railings? :lol:

I figured you had climbed the ladder slowly and humped it cleat to cleat up the ramp from the ladder side, I just meant a rail to keep it from pitching over the far side. Instead you did it the harder way. :stonklol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

dreesemonkey posted:

My friend has an under stairs bath like that and it's glorious for drunken peeing because you can lean your head against the ceiling as you pee. Bliss.

Downside is literally knocking yourself out by standing up too quick from dropping a deuce, we had a bathroom like that too.