Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TacoHavoc
Dec 31, 2007
It's taco-y and havoc-y...at the same time!
If you go here:

http://www.uponorpro.com/Technical-Support/Manuals.aspx

And hit the "Complete Design Assistance Manual (CDAM) 7th Edition - Full Copy" link, read chapter 8 and use the associated appendices. It explains how to manually calculate what their expensive program will do for you. You will have to do a heat loss calc (manually or with a program, up to you), but other than that it should be pretty simple.

I work in the HVAC industry (on the software/hardware side), if you have any specific questions on this stuff I can probably get answers from a guy at work for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TacoHavoc
Dec 31, 2007

tetrapyloctomy posted:

An HVAC guy told me the tile in our kitchen is cracking in part due to too high of temperatures through the PEX because of lack of a mixing valve on the hot end. (It also causes the PEX to get stiff over time.) So there's that. You said wood floor -- I swear I could remember reading that you should use quarter-sawn wood with radiant heat, but I could be confabulating here.

You have to mix down for radiant, absolutely. Typically a primary/secondary layout off the boiler is used, with a mixer of some sort to the secondary and zone manifolds off that. Uponor/wirsbo recommend no more than 145f for wood floors. Based on your redone construction and insulation I can't see you needing water this hot to maintain setpoint, but I haven't done the math. You are correct about quarter-sawn wood being considered generally better over radiant tubing. This is a rule of thumb thing though, I don't know the science behind it.

Kastein, I agree with the far right layout, both for cost of parts, ease of routing, and correct heat dispersion in the room.

TacoHavoc
Dec 31, 2007

kastein posted:

Interesting. I never would have considered such a thing, I'll have to look into it.

You can run the numbers, but in NE and other regions where it gets cold and stays cold a heat pump setup is typically going to have a higher operating cost. You have to remember to derate the heating efficiency numbers to take into account the cold outside temps. A heat pumps efficiency and output drops dramatically as the outside temps get lower. You will use the electric backup heat a bunch.