Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
wouldn't a 1 foot long drill bit (or a BFH) solve the draining problem? (Requesting video in advance, ty)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
No updates for three weeks? I need my fix

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

kastein posted:

Actually, I did. I left for an hour to go to home depot and let them escape out of the corner of the rafters back into the woods where they belong and when I came back they were closer to the front door and angry, so they are all dead and tossed in the woods now.

I really did not want to kill them, as I prefer to kill as few things as possible, but you gently caress with me or my house and it's all over. Last night was the first night in weeks where I haven't been woken up by thumping, scrabbling, and chewing/scratching noises from the direction of the bathroom roof and porch ceiling.

Snuff film?

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
Wow. That's impressively terrible.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
Scaffolding is cheap to rent.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
The ladder I built for my treehouse when I was 10 was safer that that.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

kastein posted:

We shall see.

In the meanwhile, I did a bunch of work in the master bedroom. Rim joist installed, along with 2 fireblocks and 6 crossbraces (2 on the rim joist, 4 in the middle of the floor at a joist that had to be shimmed to the right spot for the end of the subflooring plywood to land on its center, and thus had to wait till the endwall was replaced so I knew where it would be.) Then put down 4 sheets of subflooring. It's all held down with Liquid Nails subflooring adhesive and 3.5" #10 corrosion-proof decking screws every 6 inches.

The other 4 sheets will probably be done tonight... or I'll finish the kitchen gutting, not sure which.

Need to finish the Bedroom first. :gooncamp:

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
Radiant heat is a nice to have or a must have?

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
This just happened to me. Ended up having to excavate 30 feet of pipe. Its a big job.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
Tell her she needs to purchase one of these. https://www.harborfreight.com/50-ft-compact-electric-drain-cleaner-68285.html

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
Drywall sucks.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Larrymer posted:

Everything about this picture rules.

It's missing the theme music from Sanford and Son.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
The finish work takes the longest so he should be done by 2029 ish.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
Did you ever finish installing the heating system? I might have missed that.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
So the land in Washington is where you plan to retire after you finish the house in 2032?

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
Question:. Are you planning to scale back some of your enhancements because you are going to move as soon as you finish?

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
You know it's a long project when you measure milestones based on which building inspector approved the work.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
That looks like a challenging mudding job. Is there some miracle tool to make it easier?

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Elviscat posted:

If I were you, I would listen to my Real Estate Agent on what to do, because your instincts, and probably a lot of this subforum's, are going to be diametrically opposed to real people's. Most home buyer's interest in the plumbing, electrical, and other mechanicals of the house is going to be "does it work?" Which is going to take a backseat to "do I like the layout?"

This is really the best advice, except I would find a real estate agent now even if you are not ready to list. He might tell you to stop everything and just sell as is because the market is so hot, or he might say "Don't do X because it doesn't add value to the house."

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

kastein posted:

Honestly at this point if another DIY goon wants to take it over I'm willing to sell at a lower price than I was planning. I need to get my rear end out of here. Aside from the remaining electrical work and I suppose the main stairwell railings (which are pretty detailed finish carpentry work) everything left is solidly in the normal homeowner DIY skill set.

I want to finish it but I also need to move on with my life sooner rather than later.

What does your agent think you can list it for as is?

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
Looks great! What's left on the list?

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
It's close enough that you can list it and keep working on it.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
Looks great! Almost there...

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

kastein posted:

Is the paper even considered vapor barrier? I didn't think it was.

I took the old stuff out because it was absolutely destroyed by vermin but it was done the same way - not that that's an endorsement on this house.

That reminds me, I need to set the dehumidifier up down there. I'm not taking it with me and already put the drain in for it, so might as well.

In my basement, it's paper side up with clear poly sheeting stapled to the bottom for the vapor barrier.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
Sounds about right for an addition built in the 70s

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Motronic posted:

The only reason to do that is if you're insulating before the subfloor was put down because you think that's easier. Then someone who knows what they're talking about comes along and goes "hey moron, the vapor barrier goes on the bottom - now you need to staple up poly dumbass."

TL;DR: Your basement was done wrong. But they at least tried to fix it. I would not suggest using it as an example of what others should do.

Well, you were kind snarky on the one so I looked it up.

"Insulation should always get installed with the paper portion facing the inside or the heated part of the house. The insulation mustn’t face the wrong way, as it can lead to mold and water damage. Whether it’s in a crawl space, an attic, garage, or any other unconditioned area, you shouldn’t be able to see the paper after installation. Still, you should be able to see the insulation. "

It's on the internet, so it must be true.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Motronic posted:

I'm being snarky because you're using a sample size of one thing that you've seen and not even done yourself to give advice to someone who literally rebuilt an entire house from scratch.

People who have experience with basements like that know better than to leave open face insulation pointed towards them. This is the difference between college kids in a material science class publishing papers and people who have actually built and maintained homes like these for decades.

You are still arguing this?

Paper faces the living space. End of story.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Motronic posted:

You have zero experience with this other than google and what someone did to your house. This seems to be indicative of your posting as of late.

Am I just noticing it more or has something in your life happened to cause this need to post authoritatively about things you have virtually no experience with?

Citation needed. And personal attacks! Not nice.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
In this market, I don't think a buyer will complain about anything that you're doing. Moving away from the family can be a challenge, but it can also be good for you.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

kastein posted:

I guess we'll see. I don't want to rely on someone not inspecting it as I don't feel that's right. Like, I'd rather lose 10 or 20k and be able to sleep soundly knowing I did it right, they inspected it, and it passed than slap poo poo together and let them find it after the fact.

The market is definitely slowing down here a bit but houses are still selling for mid to high 5 figures(!!!) Over listing price as recently as last week, which is loving bonkers to me.

You are clearly not doing this just for the money, because you would have sold it months (maybe years) ago if you were. Just keep doing your thing and it will all work out.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

rndmnmbr posted:

A man devoting "forever home" effort into what is ultimately a flip. Some kind of mutant never meant for mass production, too strange to live, too rare to die.

It took me literally years to understand this. Actually, I still don't quite get the why, but that doesn't matter. It's amazing to watch.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

sharkytm posted:

You'd get it if you ever met Ken IRL.

I have! You probably don't remember when ChrisGT drove his Subaru into the woods...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
Was driving through Mass yesterday and it reminded me that I need my Kastein-hause update.