Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Arguably, safety ground up is safer.
Fucks with a lot of right-angle cords, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

schmug posted:

reasons:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ucG0HeK9ekw

although I suppose if kids really want to be dumb the can push it up from the bottom, but the reasoning is sound on why you put the ground up, and not down...

God drat people are stupid.

Motronic posted:

It's freaking great. It hits the kitchen every night at 2 AM on a schedule and I'll run it through the whole floor once a week. If something gets messy in a room I'll just have it run that room.

Once it's all set up and the floors are mapped all you really need to do is remember to empty it and clean the brushes on occasion.

The key is to get one that actually does mapping, not the bump-n-go random cheapos. The really fancy ones have LIDAR and can map stuff as small as chair legs. Then you use a phone or PC app to schedule, set fencing, etc. I'm looking at a Roborock S5 or similar. I think someone on SA put me onto those.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

This “winter” you speak of. What is it, and why would people live where it does such things? :smug:
please ignore me melting in the driveway in the height of summer. Edit: and/or catching on fire

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Feb 21, 2020

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

It's decking that will live outdoors anyway. If it can't handle a little moisture, it's no good for the intended use.
Though I do hate working with wet wood. (heh.)

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

I hope the eventual buyer appreciates what they're getting.
If I had any desire to live in the frozen freezable North-ish, I'd seriously consider this house. I'll take a house (over-)(re-)built by a competent engineer over one built by a "builder" any day. Not to mention that we know pretty much everything that went into the house via this thread, even stuff that will likely never be seen again.

I can't *wait* to see the new build when you move. I mean, I can, 'cause I want to see this one done, but you know what I mean.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Well, there's also blazing summer heat and humidity, where I am, or too many people, and restrictive laws that come with too many people in places with nice climates, like California. Always a tradeoff, I guess.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Maybe temporarily mount it to a test stand at the approximate height and see if it's a pain in the rear end to manipulate before installing or re-doing? Like, clamp the hinge to your lift or something?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

It is weird to see a finished surface rather than zip board or Tyvek.
(Today I learned that Apple autocorrect doesn’t know “Tyvek”. )

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

kastein posted:

Then we got like a foot of snow the next day so I've been doing inside work and building Christmas presents since then. Nothing big enough to bother putting pics up though.

I like the implications of this. Who knows what might come out... :D

edit:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AyeHlZ_kPtU

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Dec 18, 2020

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Neat!

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Rectal Placenta posted:

I just know the first thing I'd do in a basement like that would be immediately spilling a basket full of clean laundry onto the dirt floor

Pretty much same

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Shame about the sink. That was kind of a neat fixture.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Verra nice!

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

kastein posted:

Pulled the spacers and tape. It's starting to almost look nice, can't wait for the mastic to finish curing so I can grout this and toss the vanity, medicine cabinet, and toilet back in.

Man, I need to decide what I'm doing with my bathrooms and dive in. Just pick one of them to start with, and get it done. Both need a complete overhaul, though one is partially upgraded already. Bare concrete floors are starting to bother me.
One of them I'll be learning to build a shower pan, and *that* terrifies me.

kastein posted:

That little mk170 wetsaw they rent out did great. 12x12 is the largest tile you can use it for and it's a little limiting even on that because of where the motor support is but I was able to work around it. I'm not longer afraid of cutting tile... Setting it still scares the poo poo out of me.

Helping my sister remodel her house, I became the SME on the tile saw, cutting 12" tiles on a saw very much not intended for 12" tiles... It starts to deflect at a certain point, and learning where that point was and accounting for it was "fun".
At least I have that experience, and my sister has also offered to help. She's not only done that house, but her current house, so I've got someone who can tell me what I'm doing wrong, at least form a DIY perspective.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

kastein posted:

On the concrete - you're so lucky. You can get away with murder setting tile on that, basically any method of smoothing and leveling the substrate and any adhesive technology that are both acceptable for the tile you choose will also be perfect for cement.

Yes and no. A slab foundation on North Texas clay with incredibly variable rainfall means fascinating new shapes of walls, floors, and doorways at various times. It's on piers now, but not before loving up everything. Pier and beam would at least be easier to fix.
You're not wrong about applying tile, though. Or even the bamboo I've had stacked in the living room for 5 or 6 years. Boy, I hope that mastic is still good.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

D34THROW posted:

Oh good, I'm not the only one that has poo poo sitting around forever. A case of peel-and-stick for the bathroom to test it before we finish the rest of the house with it (our laminate was cheap poo poo the previous owner's children used to flip the place after she passed), never mind the myriad decorations and tchotchkes that Need a Home.

I had a whole case of peel-and-stick get ruined from sitting in the bathroom next to the toilet when two things happened at once - the toilet developed a nasty, nasty clog that took two gallons of Drano, seventeen tries with the auger, and cumulative hours of plunging to clear, and the tank bolt on that side started to corrode. Overflowing toilet and leaky tank meant a big rear end puddle on the floor and that was an easy way to waste like $40.

I can deal with the 5 gallons (or was it 2 x 5 gallons?) of adhesive going bad. The flooring itself is solid bamboo, and should be fine, not to mention well-acclimated to the house...
I'll check the dates and such before I try to use the stickum.

kastein posted:

Jesus Christ, grout does not agree with my OCD. At least not when I'm this... Not great at it.

But I'm a-groutin' for punishment so I finished it anyways

I used Fusion Pro single component grout. I dunno how normal grout is, but it was an exercise getting it in there and I'm afraid it's going to be grout hazed to hell when I wake up tomorrow. I forgot to buy the cleanup poo poo the grout recommended and my arms are dead so whatever happens, happens, I can't stop it now.

Looks good! I hope my first attempt is as decent. I plan to tile both bathrooms, re-tile the kitchen, and probably tile the entryway, too. More wood/bamboo in the hallway, most likely.

Suburban Dad posted:

My wife eventually came around to accepting things as they were. Hopefully yours will too.

My wife didn't get around too much before I met her, so she actually thinks I'm adequate or something. This is why you go for virgins or near-virgins. Highly recommended!
I'm talking about grout, of course. She'd never done or seen home projects done before she met me. What did you think I was talking about?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

tetrapyloctomy posted:

Did you put an outlet near the toilet for a future bidet seat?

I'm definitely doing so when I remodel our bathrooms.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

kastein posted:

This is full thickness woven bamboo, so you can't nail it down, it's glue only and doesn't snap together, plain old tongue and groove. The tape keeps adjacent pieces snug while you put the next area together as it all floats around on 1/8” of urethane adhesive. Once you've got a decent block (I usually do 3 or 4 rows) done you can relax and stop taping almost every corner on almost every piece as you do it and just do 5 or 6 rows then snug it up one last time and slap tape across it all. Then once you have it all done you use poly wedges against the bottom of the far wall to make sure the last few rows stay put, check all your end gaps, do a last check for urethane smears and fingerprints on the face of the boards, wipe them off with special solvent rags, roll it with a floor roller, make sure it's not coming up anywhere, put weights on any spots that seem problematic (ideally, this isn't necessary at all, 3/16" in 10ft is the max surface variation) and leave it the hell alone for a day or two to cure.

I've got boxes of this stuff to put down that I've had for like 5 10 years...
First I've heard of the wedges and solvent rags. OR I just forgot about them in the time since I watched all the videos and such.

brugroffil posted:

That sounds like the biggest pain in the rear end flooring ever.

kastein posted:

Not only that, the loving glue costs half as much as the flooring! I mean it's pretty thick durable stuff but drat. I think I'll probably use engineered flooring in the next place.

Also this. I'm only going to use the bamboo in one room - coincidentally the *largest* room - and floating laminate everywhere else.
I bought the glue when I got the flooring. There's a better than pretty good chance the glue is a nice, solid weight in the bucket now. Some projects just never get off the ground.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Insert obligatory "You are protected" and "did you insulate under those stairs?" here.
(Nice work!)

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

I discovered these things while researching how to get the popcorn off the ceiling:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08Q3FTTVD/?coliid=I3IC3EMIV7PCRU&colid=UKNOI4DL3HCW&psc=1

This is just a cheap Chinese on - the actual video I watched they used a Festool with a powerpack that sits on the floor and provides power and vacuum. Dude said that he could strip the ceiling in a 1600 sq. ft. house by himself in less than a day. It's actually made for wall sanding, though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1DZ44UV11M

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

nem posted:

That looks like it'd be a poor choice for dust collection since drywall will eject itself from the disc via centrifugal force as it sands. Wen has a faithful knockoff to the Planex. How does this perform versus biting the bullet with a Planex that pops up on FestoolRecon every now and then?

I'm in the same boat, need to remove popcorn before renovating any rooms but I'll be damned if I am looking forward to spraying and manually scraping each room or taping and dealing with dust.

I saw the Wen recently, and would be more inclined to buy that over generic Chinesium. The sanding discs have holes in them for vacuum to extract a dust. A little will escape, but a *lot* less than without, apparently.
Also, as the dude point out in the video, the water and scraping method does not work if the ceiling has been painted multiple times.

kastein posted:

I generally recommend a 4 foot wrecking bar for removing popcorn

Also the entire interior of your house, it would seem.

edit: when all you have is a hammer....

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

kastein posted:

I was going to say buy an old RV has both of these things covered and then I had a moment that involved far too much self awareness.

You laugh. I kind of need to buy an RV so we can remodel certain parts of the house. Not that I can afford to do any of these things. It's not like I have time off to travel and use the RV as, well, an RV afterward, either! Bonus!

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

kastein posted:

I can't weld wood longer again and that's lame.

This is wisdom of the ages.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Home inspection? What's that? Everyone's buying sight-unseen these days :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

kastein posted:

I refuse to be the guy who fucks poo poo up for the next person, because I have just spent 12 years learning why that guy loving sucks

The house next door to me has been bought, remodeled, and flipped like 3X in the last decade. It was kind of a wreck from foundation issues when the original neighbor - ahem - abandoned it (like literally. He found property, bought that, and left the house to the bank when they refused to give him a loan to fix it.)
The guy renting there now has been doing all sorts of work to it, presumably in exchange for rent. He's a GC by trade, and one assumes noted that the existing work was poo poo. I should ask him about that. And also maybe get his pricing for doing some work that I don't want to do...

My house is pretty solid, with only minor fuckery, but it's 56 years old and mostly original.
I mean, I hate the layout, and a few other things, but it's at least a fairly solid house. Aside from the foundation. And plumbing. ...gently caress.