Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe
I love GarageJournal. I learn so much from peoples' builds there. I also learn quite a bit from Kastein and you, Dreese. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe
Are you like best buds with the building inspector at this point? How many times has he been out to your house?

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe
Your issues with Bagster are the primary reason I refused to use them for my own remodel. I rented a dumpster instead. One of the best $325 I ever spent.

Also wtf is going on with your deck joists. Did someone just... randomly cut 90% through some of them? :stonk:

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe
ITT Kastein questioning someone else over-engineering their build...

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe
I mean, have you seen what he's already built? His house is gonna BE the local disaster recovery shelter.

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe
Interesting. Where does the insulation go (if any)?

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe

kastein posted:

It's an interior wall and both rooms are on the same heating zone so no need for insulation.

Load bearing drywall my rear end, this piece of poo poo house had load bearing AIR when I bought it :v:

Sorry, I meant the floor. Are floors that are the outside envelope not insulated? I've never actually built an entire house piece by piece before. (Yet.)

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe

Gat drat. And I thought moving my 30 sheets around was heavy. My back hurts just looking at that.

(How helpful is the drywall handle? I should have gotten one for myself...)

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe

daslog posted:

That looks like a challenging mudding job. Is there some miracle tool to make it easier?

Yeah, a phone.

Leperflesh posted:

I'd be seriously tempted to just hire someone. Like for a lot of this build Kastein has gone way above code and probably wouldn't have gotten that quality from a sub, but mudding is just mudding and a pro is gonna do it way faster and get the same or better result.

:yeah:

I actually enjoy hanging drywall, but gently caress all that mudding. Hire a guy/team with a bazooka and stand back.

eta: Kastein your drywall looks great. You do good work there.

SouthShoreSamurai fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Jan 30, 2020

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe
Hell yeah stair treads.

I made one of these when I redid my stair treads/risers https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aL_xOq3h6xY

It helped immensely. Like yourself, I completely hosed up my first few cuts, but as I got more experience with it the rest of the cuts went well.

(I also made my own mini-track saw jig, because I didn't have an extra $600 lying around for a track saw.)

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe
I was mostly referring to https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKA7xf7Mqxo where he just blithely throws out the recommendation for the Festool track saw.

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe
What did you use for the cutouts? Roto-zip tool?

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe
You're all crazy. That house was clearly fine and needed nothing.

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe
Can't believe you didn't construct a massively over-engineered scaffolding, comprised of dimensional lumber bigger than the tree and at least some welding. 0/10

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe
Nice. What's the drill press for?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe

kastein posted:

It was good practice and it taught me a lot, and I'm very likely to profit at least 150k on it too. I'm alright with that.

It also taught me what I actually want to build, which honestly is not what I built this time, and where I want to build it, which is also not where I built it this time. Live and learn. I really wish I'd taken the opportunity to see the country before I bought this house because I'd probably be living in a newly built house in Washington ten years ago already by now if I had.

If it helps, it's also taught me a lot. :)