Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
Man, you really don't want those sheets coming off do you? Three in the field would have been plenty on those walls, man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009

kastein posted:

Tadaaaaaa! Sill plate.

Halfway through jacking up one stud at a time, splicing it, putting another next to it, nailing it all together, and lowering it back down...

Done!

(except that one stud in the middle that doesn't have another nailed next to it yet)

I'm probably a bit late, but it would probably be best if you were to put boards on the other side of those studs as well, and probably longer than the ones you currently have, something like 2 or 3 ft. It's just going to be much safer on a load-bearing wall, especially if you just nailed your splices together (maybe you used screws, I can't tell from the pictures), making it possible for sideways tension to pop your studs right off those little blocks. Even just using some good metal L brackets and screwing them on at the bottoms of those would do a lot of good.

Hell, it probably wouldn't hurt to run a few anchor bolts through those bottom plates into your foundation either once that concrete has had some time to cure, but if the house has been sitting on that foundation for as long as it has with unbolted plates, it will probably be fine in the future as well.

Oldsrocket_27 fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Jan 24, 2013

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
The carpenter in me says #7, because doing it right is always the right way to do it (terrible turn of phrase, I know). And also because I wouldn't be the one who has to do it. An easier method might be something like running a thicker board along the backside of the 1x6 under the floor joists (probably cutting a hole into the outside wall to do it, but oh well) and bolting that to the 1x6, then putting angle brackets like these: http://www.dhcsupplies.com/store/p/2652-A34-Framing-Clips.html#.UkJXc7x55eo on either side of each stud with tico nails running into the stud and and 8penny or 16penny running into the reinforced board. Also time consuming, but not as much as rebuilding a load-bearing wall bit by bit. If the outside wall boards were removed it could be done in one solid day by two dudes.

EDIT: OK, probably as time-consuming is you include the time spent removing the boards on the outside wall.