Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

I swear this house project rivals kevbarlas' campervan for sheer determination and Ship of Theseus status.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Carpenters bearing the weight of several heavy pieces of wood attached at right angles...

Is this the story of Jesus?

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

At least it doesn't rip the entire thing off unlike hurricanes, Orlando was blue tarp city after the clusterfuck that was hurricane season '04.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

kastein posted:

Time to put that dremel mm45 to use on the project I got it for, since it is nice out.

Chisels are obsolete garbage for chumps, at least as far as framing carpentry is concerned:

Was this just getting practice with the tool, or is that actually going to be part of something?

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Welding the wood itself is the next logical step.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0k04hjdYuQ

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

That's not the AI thing to do. When you get yourself into a clusterfuck of a project like this, you see that poo poo through to the end with nothing to show but something you could have bought in good condition for half the cost, and the respect of people on the internet. As it loving well should be.

That or you quit with a post about the thrill of taking a corner too fast and march your plaid shorts over to reddit to continue on the wrong path.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

kastein posted:

The header over the door is way bigger than I need, I know. This wall isn't even really weight bearing.

It'll be handy when you inevitably convert that room into a workshop, with an overhead crane rated for the 5-ton's engine.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Zhentar posted:

Good on you. A 2x6 wall with 24" centers is better than a 2x4 wall with 16" centers in pretty much every way. 2x4 exterior walls are for people who hate quality and common sense.

But the 2x4s are cheaper!!!

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

dreesemonkey posted:

Strength aside, I think I read somewhere 24" centers are better for insulation. Presumably because it's less breaks in the wall so you can have continuous insulation.

But I would have built it like you did regardless.

Well you lose the thickness of the stud per center length, so 2 out of 16 vs 2 out of 24.

12.5% of wall length is taken up by stud for 16" centers
8.3% for 24"

for a difference of 4.2% extra volume per center length.

Pretty trivial compared to the 50% extra volume from the increased thickness regardless of center length.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Geirskogul posted:

Ken Stein waited. The lights above him blinked and sparked out of the air. There was shorts in the house. He didn’t see all of it, but had expected it now for years. His warnings to SSS were not listenend to and now it was too late. Far too late for now, anyway.
Ken was a electrician for fourteen years. When he was young he watched the company vans and he said to dad “I want to be on the vans daddy.”
Dad said “No! You will BE KILL BY LECTRIC”
There was a time when he believed him. Then as he got oldered he stopped. But now in the cold northern base of the PAN he knew there were shorts.
“This is Adiabatic” the radio crackered. “You must fixed the shorts!”
So Ken gotted his multi meter and poked holes up the wall.
“HE GOING TO FIX US” said the shorts
“I will zap at him” said the knob and tube and he crackled the old wires. Ken measuremented at him and tried to fix him up. But then the ceiling fell and they were trapped and not able to fix.
“No! I must fix the faults” he shouted
The radio said “No, Ken. You are the faults”
And then Ken was a spark

:master:

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Blistex posted:

When kastein is finally finished there is going to be an abrupt end to his posts on the forums. A week later a goon is going to post a scan of an article in the local newspaper about a homeowner who shot himself. The article will mention how the police found two pieces of paper. One is a list of building supplies and a final total. The other is an estimate of what it would have cost to demolish the house and build a new one from scratch.

The totals on both are exactly the same number!

yeah but house of theseus lets you spread the costs waaay out over time which you generally cant do with contractors i imagine

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

man you're doing it all wrong. for nails first what you do is you get one of those comically large ACME magnets from the cartoons. then,

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Now I'm contemplating a radiant cooling system in the ceiling...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Is a heat pump mechanically similar to normal a/c, just able to run in reverse? Or is it completely different hardware?