Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

I don't think he deserves it.

I think he likes it. It feels drat good to destroy sometimes. It feels even better to create, to make something your own, to change the world with your own hands.

That's why we work on cars/houses/trucks and whatnot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

kastein posted:

Cut myself pretty deeply on the edge of the flashing while wrapping the new sill, I suppose I should probably clean that up now that I finished.

Kastein Home remodelingconstruction, where the question "Can I finish this job before I bleed out?" is a lot more common than it should be.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

kastein posted:

drat, didn't fool anyone with that one I guess.

You got me, I figured it was just par for the course really :v:

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Zhentar posted:

:eng101: Squirrels, like all rodents, have a pair of continually growing incisor teeth. They need to chew on hard things frequently to wear them down and sharpen them.

They stop growing when they're dead, though :clint:

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Crotch Fruit posted:

Have you taken into account the slope of your floors for for optimum water circulation patterns? :colbert:

The evil little man in my head is hoping this makes him twitch :sun:

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Now I'm wondering how much magnetism you would need to pull nails out of wood. Also I need to know just what kind of effect this would have on the surrounding area. How powerful can you make a magnet before it starts scrambling the human nervous system? How far away would you have to put your hard drives?

Quick google of 'magnetism nervous system' just filled up my search results with all those magnetic bracelets uuuuugh...

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

MrPete posted:

Just use one of these for removing nails instead of your weird rear end magnets.

http://nailkicker.com/

Why is it these sites never have a "How it works" page? I don't wanna buy it but I drat sure want to see what makes it tick.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

kastein posted:

Oh yeah. Some rather unsettling news. Last night while working on the house I saw and killed a pretty worrying number of carpenter ants, including a winged one about 1" long, which generally indicates there's a nest nearby.

I'm worried I may not have found and killed them all after all. Fortunately all the new wood I have put in is not rotten and a lot of it is pressure treated, so it'll just be a matter of finding their hiding place and murdering them all again.

Out at the farm ant patrol was a weekly ordeal. Get thee a pump sprayer and some good insecticide concentrate.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I would like to see you overengineer a bay window.

:same: this poo poo is gonna be good :haw:

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

ExplodingSims posted:

So did you buy a NutBuster yet? :v:

:crossarms: I'm pretty sure you guys are referring to a tool, but I would like to know more.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Beverly Cleavage posted:

I just figured with your typical hardware/UI interface issues, you'd be hard wired instead of wireless to start. :v:

With all the spontaneous demolition that has gone on in that house, running (yet more) wires through the walls seems counterproductive.

Beach Bum fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Jan 1, 2018

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Ken's Jeeps got spare everything. Yes, including the kitchen sink.

(I'll see myself out)

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Leperflesh posted:

are you saying you don't already own a portaband???

An aquantaince of mine has one and that is one of the most neato tools I've laid eyes on. Had never even heard of them before I saw his.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

schmug posted:

Actual load bearing drywall

Probably stronger than what was there before

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Are you going to get refrigerant certs so you can do this whole thing yourself?

My HVAC is on the fritz at the moment, and I suspect low refrigerant, which means a leak somewheres. I've wondered but not really investigated into how difficult it would be to refill my own system once I get the leak sorted.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

I know exactly what it is

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Motronic posted:

Also, imaging moving in the winter in the northeast.

Oh, look, something worse than moving in Florida in August :stonklol:

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Leperflesh posted:

kastein are you learning about earthquake-safe construction? Because PNW means building to new earthquake standards ("new" as of 1996 or thereabouts, IIRC) and being ready for a really big one that is definitely coming.

He's gonna build it on pontoons

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

I haven't built anything in forever but those GRK countersink screws look nifty. Having used the cheapest crosshead drywall screws for general poo poo, I think when I start building up an inventory I'll go with those if they're not bleedingly expensive.

I have RR Buildings on my subs but I had to turn notification back to "Occasional" because of how much content they put out.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

kastein posted:

3 layers of polyurethane are now down. I'm calling it quits at this point, though I might block out a bunch of the runs in the vertical faces and recoat them once it hardens up a bit.

I love the gold glow of poly coated light wood. Looks like candy. Kinda clashes with that post a bit but whatever, it fuckin' works eh?

What are you doing for a railing?

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

How much does it actually weigh? That thing swingin' down looks like it could be heavy as hell, especially it being overhead. Might I suggest sprung hinges to take some of the weight off, or some other load-reduction mechanism? I would have suggested 1/4" or 3/8" plywood on a 1x1 frame, with secondary hatch in the panel itself for filter changes only, but the ship has sailed of course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Super Soaker Party! posted:

Ken don't listen to these haters. The only answer here is to put hydraulic struts on it for opening and closing it automatically - just find the same ones they use on dumptrucks and you should be good.

Ooh yeah it'd be like the hood or rear hatch on a car !