Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I seem to recall that a semi-common pattern for people who build their own homes is to start with a small structure that's basically just kitchen/bathroom/bedroom, i.e. enough to give you a usable shelter. You get that up quickly, then are able to add whatever expansions you feel are appropriate at a more leisurely pace. Eventually you can convert the bedroom into a dining room or office or other miscellaneous room.

I'll second the recommendation to keep accessibility in mind, not just for when you get old but also if you suffer an injury that prevents you from climbing stairs. You don't necessarily have to keep everything on a single floor, but the upstairs stuff should all be nonessential. That means having a full bathroom downstairs and at least one room that can serve as a bedroom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Some of those"joists" are 1x material too, unless I miss my guess. And those fasteners are a shitshow.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
It's a way for kastein to practice before building his dream home. At least, I assume that's why he's been putting so much work into it.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Out of curiosity: is it intentional that the rebar isn't vertical, or is it one of those "it doesn't matter so whatever" kinds of things? I could see an argument for the rebar holding better if it's at an angle (and if the pieces aren't all parallel), but I feel like any strength improvement would be pretty marginal compared to the fact that you're pouring hundreds of pounds of concrete in there.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

kastein posted:

Dreesemonkey, yeah, it was pretty sketchy and I'm very glad that part is done now.

Did you consider using an elevated engine lift to move the 6x6? :v:

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
How does what the galvanizing shop do differ from spraying the part with that aerosol galvanization spray? Do they electroplate the zinc on or something like that? I assume it's a way more durable coating than the spray stuff.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

I actuallly work in coatings and corrosion. If the shop is doing a hot-dip galvanize, the metal piece is immersed in a vat of molten zinc in the 840* F temp range. This causes the zinc to alloy with the steel, which also reacts to the air, and forms a coating that protects the base steel. Spray applied zinc coatings also protect the metal underneath, but are more susceptible to mechanical damage exposing the underlying metal leading to local corrosion that can spread.

Gotcha, thanks for the info! And of course, now that you say this I remember having heard the term "hot-dip galvanized" (as kastein then mentioned), which is pretty self-explanatory.

kastein posted:

so I don't have to buy half a ton of zinc ingots to make a large enough zinc bath to galvanize one part.

Aren't zinc fumes really bad news? Not getting heavy metals in your lungs is the reason why you're not supposed to toss galvanized stuff into a fire AIUI. I'm not saying you couldn't do it yourself, just that you'd need a fair amount of safety gear.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Reminds me of the optical tables used to construct high-precision microscopes, which are mounted on active-stabilization pneumatic legs that can extend/retract to keep the table steady. Those are only really meant to cope with things like vibrations from air circulation or large trucks driving by, but I don't see why they couldn't be scaled up to handle a house.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
I always assumed it was so you could cram more rent payers into your back yard, frankly.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
I wish I'd known about those VPA2 ties when I did my workshop. Birdsmouthing rafters is a pain in the rear end, and easily the part of the job where my fit got sloppiest.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Like, inhaling mold spores is bad, sure, but so is inhaling a bunch of tiny daggers, and that's basically what sawdust is.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
It's the Truman Show, except that it's just him abandoned on an island of decrepit buildings, with nobody for company but the employees of the local Home Depot and Lowes.

I had to deal with some rotten gable rafters once. I put up some aluminum flashing temporarily to cover them and keep water from intruding, and the flashing tore loose in the wind during the night. That poo poo was loud. Not sure if it'd beat an entire Tyvek sheet flapping around though.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Darchangel posted:

This. I hate that building houses out of kindling is still the way to do it.

You say "kindling" but they're bundles of carbon tubes with pretty incredible strength-to-weight ratios in tension and in compression, especially considering their cost. Concrete is awesome stuff too, but it has a way higher carbon footprint, requires extra work if you want a space you can route wires, etc. through (though I guess Kastein will be running conduit everywhere as he builds the walls, regardless of what they're made of), and doesn't do so great on an unstable foundation, e.g. in earthquake country.

There's an awful lot to recommend about stick-built housing. There are also plenty of reasons why you might go with concrete, but I'd quibble with the idea that it's automatically superior.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

tangy yet delightful posted:

Unlike game of thrones this thread will have a solid ending.

Fire's more of a gas than a solid IMO.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
What are you cutting? If you've done most of it with a circular saw, maybe a hand wood saw could do the rest? It'd probably be easier to cut straight with than a sawzall would.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
The is way too much drywall for me, goddamn.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
In case you're not already aware, the thumbnails' URLs just take the full-resolution image's URL and stick "l", "m", or "s" on the end, e.g. full resolution, large thumbnail, medium, small.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
gently caress drywall mudding forever. gently caress drywall in general, it's heavy, awkward, fragile, and can easily produce a lot of dust. But yeah, the route I'd take in this situation would be to hang the drywall but hire out the mudding. I don't have nearly Kastein's tolerance for doing literally everything myself.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
The main issue with aluminum as compared to lead or copper is that you can't (easily) solder/weld it to create a continuous barrier, right?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
This is why you do stuff like leave 1/8" gaps between boards; it's not just for looks.

I admit I'm unclear about the ramifications of, say, a board shrinking and trying to pull on the screw it's attached to another board with.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
I'm guessing that that second stringer was done by someone who made an out-of-square template and just blindly used it, and if they did realize how bad it was their attitude was "gently caress it, I'm not doing all that work again".

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
That looks like a ton of work, holy cow. Well done.

Do you need a vapor barrier to go with the insulation? I seem to recall the two usually go hand-in-hand.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
You're bitching about a gap that will be filled in by the wood finish. Just figured I'd point that out.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Geeze, y'all forgetting about Larry Huan.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
That's a lot of metal. Does the hatch need to be metal or could it have been a sheet of plywood with some trim? I guess I don't have a good feel for how wet the area around the AC will be.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
I think the metal door is awesome, and you should only scrap it if you can't figure out a way to make it work.

That said, there's a ton of styles of hinge for all different kinds of mounting situations. Mostly they amount to custom-built bits of metal brackets around the actual hinge element of course.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
It might be better to just remove the back deck entirely? Cheaper, at least.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Do you think that, when Home Depot or Lowes need to set up a display for whatever reason, they use the same contractors that they try to fob off on their customers?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
When I drove the ground rod for my workshop, I did it by hand with a sledgehammer :v: I was only driving it into earth, fortunately, and it still took awhile.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
It's super bonkers to me that you've spent over a decade living in a project house, and as soon as it's done you're gonna sell it and start over again :psyduck:

Sounds like you made some serious progress lately though! Nice work. I feel you on that soldering job; sometimes it just doesn't want to behave.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Home inspection? What's that? Everyone's buying sight-unseen these days :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Dang, that looks fantastic. I can well believe that it's a pain in the rear end, though.