Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

In some distant future, someone may eventually be tasked with taking this all apart, and is going to wonder what the gently caress prompted you to make sure it all stayed stuck together so drat well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I would expect Arizona to have possibly the most strict AC efficiency requirements in the country, though. Maybe behind California.

You'd be amazed.

On filters... My mom's house is the only one I've ever seen that has the filters anywhere other than the return grilles. There's no attic to the house at all so one air handler is in the garage, the other is in a closet at the opposite end of the house. 1" thick filters in the bottom of each.

My last apartment, my house, my dad's house, and pretty much any other house I've ever seen in AZ where I have so much as cared to look at where the return grille is, has a filter there. Only reason my first apartment isn't on the list is because it was a shithole in Tucson with only a swamp cooler. Never again.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Probably a matter of volume. The amount of lead eroded off of a roof probably won't make it too far into groundwater. Lead pipes would contaminate every gallon run through them, especially if you do something like switch to a more corrosive water supply (Flint).

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

For those of us who don't have crawl spaces or basements or cast iron plumbing, what's not to code about that?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I've only ever dealt with wax seals twice, and both times they skeeved me out in the "this shouldn't loving work" way, but both of them did. I'm totally using those foam / silicone ones next time.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I need to replace my attic stairs. The original ones are still in decent enough condition but they're just plain flimsy by design, with a 250lb max load. I don't like climbing ladders in the first place, and I especially don't like flimsy wooden ladders that aren't even rated to hold me, let alone anything I'm hauling up.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Darchangel posted:

Someday, someone is going to look at all the stuff you did in that house, and I just hope that they’re equipped to appreciate the majesty, not to mention the effort it took to not be just another Previous Owner.

Forty years from now, after MechaTrump has declared war on the big yellow thing in the sky for the sixth time, the only building left standing in the radioactive wastes will be this house.

With perfect HVAC.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

kastein posted:

However, my wife thinks that's silly and wants to build a tiny house.

You want your house to appeal to :females:, right?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Motronic posted:

Not if you tastefully design them as part of your landscape.

"Did someone build a replica of the Maginot line in Oregon?"

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Leperflesh posted:

kastein are you learning about earthquake-safe construction? Because PNW means building to new earthquake standards ("new" as of 1996 or thereabouts, IIRC) and being ready for a really big one that is definitely coming.

Look at what he's building in a seismically-dead region and ask yourself again.

e: f, b

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Darchangel posted:

itís not load bearing.

I mean, neither was most of what Kastein started with.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

If those parts aren't a nightmare to move, I'd save them for the future build.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I realize it's just your flashlight but I swear this image is crying out for a HUD to be added to it. Not sure whether more along the lines of "Half Life 2" or "My Summer Car".