Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Coasterphreak posted:

e: and yes, you can totally do stuff off the books and hope nobody notices, but you're probably gonna get hosed by the home inspector if you try to sell down the road

Depends on your area. We've spent the last three years fixing poo poo the 'contractor' who remodeled and flipped this house mickey-moused in while he was at it.

Last week was discovering that he just buried all the brick debris as fill under the back part of the yard, so 12" down we hit a layer of the poo poo when digging post holes for a new fence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

iv46vi posted:

The spacing is all weird, perhaps it's a double frame outside wall?

If it is, that window's going to be -seriously- recessed once they get the sheathing and siding on.

I think it's just hosed up.

Edit : Looking at that second picture, I've changed my mind. Australians are just crazy. Why in the world would you leave a gap for wire-run between a brick front and a stud wall like that, in a country with so many things you'd really rather not have crawling between your walls?

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Sep 6, 2013

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

kastein posted:

You can have my free lathe when you pry it from my cold dead hands! :haw:

I have it now, it's in the back of the jeep waiting for me to feel like hauling 300lbs of steel inside. It's a South Bend and has threading and autofeed.

I should probably start thinking about pouring a pad in the corner of the basement sooner rather than later.

I always wanted to have a machine shop in my basement but I never saw it happening this cheaply or quickly, goddamn.

Man, total jealousy. I wish I had room to stash something like that!

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Hey, if nothing else, at the end of the day you'll know this poo poo isn't hosed up anymore when you're done. That's peace of mind that I'd love to have.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Holy poo poo am I ever jealous.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

c355n4 posted:

I picture a tent with a propane stove in your dirt floor mud room. How far off is this?

I figured he was just camping in the back of the 5-ton.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

kastein, you need to warn people before coming near their houses. You have some kind of structural problem enhancing field going on.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

I hope these things are connected, but it's kastein's, so...

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Snow? There's no room for snow in there. It's already that deep in Jeep parts.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

I never thought I'd give this advice in all seriousness, but have you considered getting a spear?

I mean, it's a great way to remove raccoons from ceilings.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

kastein posted:

Actually, I did. I left for an hour to go to home depot and let them escape out of the corner of the rafters back into the woods where they belong and when I came back they were closer to the front door and angry, so they are all dead and tossed in the woods now.

I really did not want to kill them, as I prefer to kill as few things as possible, but you gently caress with me or my house and it's all over. Last night was the first night in weeks where I haven't been woken up by thumping, scrabbling, and chewing/scratching noises from the direction of the bathroom roof and porch ceiling.

Sometimes it's all you can do. I had to shoot a woodchuck that was living under our shed last year because it wouldn't take a hint and leave, and went after one of the dogs.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

kastein posted:

BTW, this is all why I will never, ever buy a house someone else built again. Why? No prepurchase inspection would be able to catch most of these issues since they're hidden by plaster. It's like trying to diagnose cancer without an X-ray, MRI, PET/CT scan, or any blood tests, etc. Good loving luck.

At this point it'd almost be a relief for you to be scratch building. Nothing lovely to tear out that way!

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Do they start with building a bigger pole crane with the 5 ton as the base?

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I'm not sure you remember what it was like to not be demolishing things.

Can you really go back?

Will they understand?

It's okay, the yard is still full of the lurking corpses of Jeeps waiting to be resurrected back into messy, sputtering undeath. He'll be fine.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Seems like the perfect point to put in a real stove hood while you're at it, and vent it outside.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

dreesemonkey posted:

Pretty cool idea.

Ever go on garage journal? There are a few "SHOUSE / HARN" (Shop House / House barn) builds on there that are really intriguing. Eventually if I have the money I'd like to build a cabin / garage in a similar fashion (though not quite so big). The last one is almost the total package just because it's "done" and had to worry about heating it.

50x100 in texas
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=257468

33x80 in montana
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=325966

45x60 in OH (radiant in slab + lot's of spray foam)
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=226535

Those things are exactly what I want. Just gotta decide if I'm staying in the midwest, or moving away from the land of salt and woe.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

DIY is never going to let that guy live that down, and it is glorious.

I'm pretty sure Kastein's place is overengineered to the point that you could randomly remove floor joists at this point without any structural issues. :P

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

poo poo, Kastein, I'm jealous. Imagine how many Jeeps you can hid on that property.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Well it's not like there's anything else but the stairs uninsulated.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

By 'drywall', we actually meant XJ floor pan replacement panels. It's an easy mistake to make, but on the plus side, you can just weld patches if someone puts a hole in your wall, and it looks like every other XJ out there.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

I can't wait for the terror that is you being given a blank slate to overbuild from the ground up.

Everything will be done right.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

kastein posted:

When you build from scratch you get to just make everything square and level in the first place and pretty much just slap drywall on it and run. The new walls I built in the second floor were like this, I think it took me all of a day to frame them out.

That's the part I'm looking forward to, the moment you walk onto the build site while some subcontractor's doing something and just tell them from a glance exactly what way they are making your poo poo harder by being wrong.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

"I only get in two weekends worth of work a month" says utter madman building a bomb-proof house out of principal, spite, and jeep parts. :v:

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

kastein posted:

In order:
Central Mass.

Closer to hell.

Yeah that's the plan. This one will be straight, level, plumb, square, on a real foundation, far stronger (modern framing practices are worlds better than old style, and I've only fixed what was broken), and designed from the ground up with fire protection, serviceability, maintenance, efficiency, and modern heating/cooling in mind, instead of having all those things scabbed on after the fact. I'll be starting another thread for it once this one has run its course.

Also, just got a call from the galvanizing shop... Ready for pickup :stare: those fuckers are fast.

I am terrified and will be incredibly interested to see what you produce when given a clean slate to work from, given your building habits. Some poor building inspector out west is going to be very, very confused.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Yeah, don't worry too badly about those dimensions, the house was mostly laid out before sheet goods were standardized and would be just as much of a pain in plaster and lath no matter the dimensions.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Your idea of 'not bad' is both terrifying and inspiring. :catstare:

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

I'm fully convinced the house held up because if it fell down it would be less work for kastein to fix.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

We're gonna need a thread ASAP, Elviscat.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Elviscat posted:

If I were you, I would listen to my Real Estate Agent on what to do, because your instincts, and probably a lot of this subforum's, are going to be diametrically opposed to real people's. Most home buyer's interest in the plumbing, electrical, and other mechanicals of the house is going to be "does it work?" Which is going to take a backseat to "do I like the layout?"

Yeah, whereas DIY goons are more interested in 'will have to redo major major systems in the next five years'.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

SouthShoreSamurai posted:

Can't believe you didn't construct a massively over-engineered scaffolding, comprised of dimensional lumber bigger than the tree and at least some welding. 0/10

Or at least a fall prevention harness with the 5-ton on belay.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

He's probably using a lot more labor than one madman willing to throw up siding in the dark with sketchy scaffolding. :v:

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Nothing that can't be cured with a structure fire.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

I keep getting the urge to pick up a place that needs some work since I know I'm going to want to gut the kitchen anyway, and watching your stuff reminds me why that's a terrible idea given how much time I have to spend at work. Great to see the place coming together, whoever buys it off you is going to be getting a hell of a house!

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

I'm working to channel that self-destructive impulse into something in the way of a beater car instead. At least I don't have to try to live in it! :v:

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Heh. Hopefully not foreshadowing of the next project.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

I feel like you should crowdfund a little plaque or something to fix to the wall in the basement in as annoying to remove a manner as available to mankind before you sell.