Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler
Seriously, if we found our house with the issues that you or your parent's house had my wife would start weeping and I would be thinking about arson. You just roll up your sleeves and get stuff done, hats off to you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

Apathy Inspired posted:

You are bloody amazing for taking this on while you have your own house to work on. I know, it is your parents place but it is still awesome of you.
You are honestly an inspiration to keep going on the mildly annoying stuff to be done around our house. Thanks!

Best Post / Forums Name combo.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Oven Wrangler

kastein posted:

It's even at around the same time of year.

This time instead of about 2 inches of fiberglass insulation and about a hundred watts of plumbing heat tape spread out over 6 feet, however, I have R10 insulation forming a wind resistant housing around it, and it's got 1500 watts of heater available and set to ~70-80 degrees. Oh, and the concrete is quikrete 5000 (designed for placing in low temps, though still above freezing) and had about 16 hours of cure time before the outside temperature even dropped below freezing, rather than type S mason mix (no accelerator added) applied in like, 15 degree temps at midnight, which was actually freezing to the goddamn bucket by the time I finished and was freezing in spots before I could even get the heat tape and insulation down.

It was an unmitigated shitshow last time but I have hope for this year's attempt.

Landed on the coldest week of the year so far in the North East (think I remember you being in New England). Struggling to get out of single digits / teens this week.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Oven Wrangler

pseudonordic posted:

Yay, unlocked thread! Yay, updates!
I thought one of the walls collapsed on top of him that's why it was locked. Glad to see you back on track.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Oven Wrangler
Hey, just wanted to say I've got this thread bookmarked and I'm thrilled when I see a new post. Been following this for more years than you probably care to think about. Feel like I should send you a house warming gift when you finally get done with the place.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Oven Wrangler

kastein posted:

...once everything else is done.

Sorry but I chuckled at this. No offense though, you’re badass and I’d buy this house knowing it is withstand anything.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Oven Wrangler

kastein posted:

Five? Nope...

IIRC I counted 6 layers on one side and 8-10 on the other, wasn't really sure due to some patching that had been done. Plus the several layers of cedar shakes under all that.

Notice there were like, 3 or 4 layers of flashing. I'm guessing every 2 layers of shingles they reflashed it.

Also see the area that looks like a punched asphalt lasagna because the nails wouldn't even reach the decking anymore and it was like an overstuffed corkboard.

I was worried about the multiple feet of snow we got that first winter until I realized that I'd just removed many thousands of pounds of asphalt from the roof, so 2-3 feet of snow buildup was probably not a big deal.

Wow. Been following you thread for a while and missed the roof saga somewhere along the way. Between all that extra weight on the roof and all the rotted walls how did that house not collapse like a house of cards?

It’s like they deliberately poorly maintained a house so it would fail.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Oven Wrangler
Not tree related but roof climbing for me. At some point I tell my wife to go inside because she starts hyperventilating.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Oven Wrangler

Rhyno posted:

This is unreal.

Feeling like the end of an era.

tomapot fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Nov 29, 2020

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Oven Wrangler

sharkytm posted:

House looks amazing, such a change from the last time I was over.

For the regulars on this thread I feel like this place should be a goon shrine. I drive up to Maine every summer and can leave a rotten piece of lumber as an offering.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Oven Wrangler

Motronic posted:

Now if you were a flipper you would have stated and ended with the siding, porches and painting the interior and chucking in some new appliances. Most people wouldn't notice the difference (until the house started falling down around them).

“Honey, why is the siding popping off?”

“The contractor says because the house is only being held up by sawdust and the walls are collapsing”

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Oven Wrangler

SyNack Sassimov posted:

I mean you're technically correct, but I think "ten year old fairly slow-moving thread slightly derailed by OP to talk about his new thread" isn't the end of the world and actually serves to point people to the new thread so they can enjoy the 2022-2030 saga of Ken's Country Retreat: The Massive Overkill Story Part 2: How To Make A House Nuclear-Bomb-Proof And Acquire More Jeeps.

Bookmarked, looking forward to the sequel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Oven Wrangler

kastein posted:

One way or another it is going on the market by March 31. If you know any DIY people who would be interested prior to that with less stuff finished, I'm perfectly willing to sell that way too.

This March 31st? (Sorry couldn’t resist, it’s been a hell of a ride)