Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

kastein posted:

We hope to stay debt free at least until the guest house and pole barn are done. Who knows though.

I'm so envious of the space and freedom you have at both of your places. Living in the south east of the UK, that amount of land could be a 7 figure cost on it's own, and planning permission applies everywhere.

What do you folks do for a living?
Are you just planning to get new jobs out west or work remotely?

Is there any way to get internet service out there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

kastein posted:

We're both electrical engineers. Gonna have to get new jobs, neither of our jobs can work remote very effectively.

Internet... Satellite, sure. The rest not so much.

That is... not the easiest job to do from a rural area.

Good luck.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

kastein posted:

It's still very much up in the air.

We are definitely building a 40x60 pole barn or metal barn for all the cars, tools, and electronics shop.

House? Well, I was assuming I'd be building a regular 2-3 bedroom 2 floor house with a basement and stuff. However, my wife thinks that's silly and wants to build a tiny house. I don't particularly care as long as I've got somewhere to crap, shower, cook, and sleep, so I'm certainly not going to argue very hard if that's what she's set on. Tiny houses are cheaper and faster just because they take less materials. I'd vote for a bachelor style garagehouse but I think they look kinda silly unless you make substantial compromises security and storage wise by putting in some house style windows so I'm ok with the tiny house and big barn idea.

If we decide to have kids I feel like a tiny house will get too small very quickly. We'll see. We can't build more than one residential structure due to zoning but I guess we could do an addition.

Tiny house seems like the polar opposite of the impression Iíve gotten of you from reading this thread.

Just think of family visiting and needing to stay over.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I feel like HDMI will become obsolete faster than any other video standard in history, so good idea on the conduit.

Eh?

It has decades left imo, and has been spec revved multiple times already with the same connector. What is going to replace it?

People still donít buy new TVs very often, and any new device that canít connect by it will be DOA.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

10 Beers posted:

Out of curiosity, why not a Dyson?

Hell, since we're talking about vacuums, can anyone recommend an affordable one that's good for dealing with animal hair?

Dysons are a fragile gimmick, which cost 2-3x what a decent vacuum costs.

Also, bagged vacuums are not actually worse than bagless ones, and you can buy a lifetime supply of bags for a tiny amount.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Ages ago, maybe here or in the House Owning thread someone linked to a forum with lots of homestead build logs on it. Can anyone remember the name?

Definitely gonna be surpassed by your eventual new build Kastein, of course.

Update: I think it was the homesteading forum on permies.com, nevermind.

Itís no Kastein thread.

wooger fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Jul 15, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

mcgreenvegtables posted:

Wow, I am never going to forget that number. I once talked to a siding contractor in the Boston area who told me his average job was $45,000. Probably not apples to apples with house size and materials but still makes it clear how much you are paying for labor, overhead, and profit.

Contractors in Boston have to pay to live, and pay their staff to live, and store their stuff in Boston.