Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

They aren't OSHA violations when it's DIY.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Garvin Industries sounds like a useful company to know about. Thanks for the tip.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Moving from MA to WA, that's quite the trip! Given that OR/WA is where I anticipate moving if we ever leave TN I'll be eagerly reading your adventures in building out there.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

What is IPE? Wait like the Brazilian rainforest hardwood?

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

For the longest time I've been thinking kastein and Motronic were the same poster.

At least ya'll are both cool people right? :shobon:

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Is it fine for the deck to be flat since there are gaps in the decking to allow water drainage away from the house? I've never dealt with building a deck. Figure you'll have the info loaded answer to this.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

SouthShoreSamurai posted:

ITT Kastein questioning someone else over-engineering their build...

He's just trying to figure out new and novel ways to increase his own over-engineering!

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

I hesitate to ask this but do you have any sort of idea as to when you'll be selling this masterpiece? I'm guessing springtime at the earliest just from the weather ya'll get up there.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Leperflesh posted:

When they renovated San Francisco City Hall, they put the entire structure on roller bearings. It's called "base isolation" and it's cool and good.
https://blog.jumpstartrecovery.com/base-isolation-in-san-francisco/

Japan has thousands of buildings on base isolation, by far the most of any country in the world.

If the USA number isn't at 501 after kastein is done with his new build I will consider my time here on SA wasted.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

kastein posted:

No joke, I recognize some of the local home Depot employees out of uniform now... And in their cars driving around town. It's weird.

I can't wait to build fresh and not have to deal with idiot mistakes made by some loving guy from Quebec in 1879 anymore. All of the mistakes on the next house will be mine and mine alone.

I'm living in a new house now after coming from a multiple PO built in 1930s house and it's almost weird not having to constantly do little fixes that end up taking 10x as long because of all the weird poo poo you uncover along the way.

Nothing on your level but hey.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

kastein posted:

Because winter is coming.

Unlike game of thrones this thread will have a solid ending.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

My attempts at using a sawzall to do anything but mangled demo cuts have me wishing you luck here. I'd probably go the bowsaw route with some fresh blades depending on quantity to do.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

kastein posted:

I'm kinda debating buying a pellet stove or gas fireplace and keeping all the radiant heating parts I bought already for the Washington house build, depending on how things go as temps dip into next month. It would save an awful lot of time.

Another thing to consider re: moving the parts, if you are going to build to a similar R-value for your home in WA state you likely won't need the radiant floor heating as average winter temps will be higher than wherever you are in the north-east. Now if you just want radiant floors for the effect of the warm floor and hot air rising then maybe it's still worth taking it but I can't imagine you'll actually need it with everything else you'll be doing.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

I think he said earlier that his wife was interested in doing it. Doing drywall patches is all I'd ever want to gently caress with but this is a power couple so who knows.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

mr.belowaverage posted:

When I got quotes for copper gutters and downspouts it was about five times the cost of extruded-on-site aluminum.

Watch master craftsmen installing copper on instagram until you give in and pay for the beauty (I will not be doing this - well maybe one day).

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Just cover the stairs in carpet bing bong so simple.

Loving it all kastein.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

So this might be a stupid question to ask since it's well you, but gutter installers with their seamless aluminum magic gutter trucks for the perfect length with no seams..well seems like hiring this out might be the ideal thing to not do yourself. Exterior feature that should be easily inspected for bad installation issues.

If you are doing it yourself do you plan to just buy the gutter sections at home depot and rivet/caulk (I forget what the one is for gutters) them yourself? Or will you be renting/buying one of the seamless machines?

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

The real estate agent could also probably get some trades in to finish the work pre-sale if needed (just don't look at their work). I'm out the way you're headed and know no one in that area but what a well re-built house.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

The real answer is paint it all and sell the house, none of the buyers will give 2 shits.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

UCS Hellmaker posted:

but you are! to the dump :v:

The proper PO move is to leave it in the corner of the basement for the new owners to find when they move in.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Seems like no-one can finish building stairs in DIY/HCH :v:

Maybe you can cobble together a wooden tripod and suspend the beam from that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

By my untrained eye that's looking real good.

Was that bolt hole big enough to stick like an electric ratchet in it or did you actually have to crank it bit by bit (by hand)?