Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy
I'm a little embarrassed about how excited I was to see this thread on the first page. Still, glad to know you're making progress and I'm desperately looking forward to pics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
That's an absolutely absurd amount of dust you're kicking up, none of which I'd want anything to do with. What are you using for dust control?

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
I'm ashamed at how excited I am that this thread is getting updated again. Deeply ashamed.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

kastein posted:

I've had a couple weeks to think about it and I have several possible plans of attack.

Are any of them "Affix a pulley to the eave at the ridge and hoist it"?

Because I feel like that's the best plan in terms of goon-entertainment per kastein-post.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
Did we ever see pictures of your eyesore shed? I can't remember having seen it.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
I mean, ground-up is code in a lot of places, people just prefer ground-down so it gets overlooked a lot. It's definitely safer.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
If you get a vacuum robot to supplement (not replace) real, actual vacuuming you'll only have to vacuum like once a month for real to keep the floors clean.

They used to be stupid rich people toys, but we got a knockoff one for a friend for Christmas for under $40 and it handles her 2 roommates and 2 dogs admirably in the common areas. We also have an obligatory rich friend who has a fancy Roomba brand one and honestly it doesn't do that much better a job for 6x the price.

But still vacuum. I cannot underscore that enough. Tiny robot vacuum is not enough.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Motronic posted:

I haven't vacuumed my first floor by hand in almost a year since I got a robot vac. Combination of hardwood and rugs. This advice does not compute. The place is spotless. The worst thing that happens is some spots with chairs and stuff really need you to move the chair out/away while you send it to that room on occasion.

If you grab a decent vacuum (not a Dyson) and run it over those same floors you'll see what I'm talking about. It's a question of both suction and agitating brushes which rely on weight that most robots just don't have. In the last 2 years there have definitely been models that can compete against a real vacuum (but they still don't have hoses so you'd still need a handheld) but they cost a pretty penny and some are marketed as commercial/industrial.

Don't get me wrong, robot vacuums have their place, but the lower power models are only really adequate on flat, nonporous surfaces like laminate or marble.

And for the record, my mom owns a housekeeping company and demonstrates this all the time for clients. I've only ever heard her talk about one client with a robot so good she never vacuums the floor.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

10 Beers posted:

Out of curiosity, why not a Dyson?

Hell, since we're talking about vacuums, can anyone recommend an affordable one that's good for dealing with animal hair?

To expand on the point that Dyson vacuums are a gimmick:

When it comes to vacuums, suction is king. Dysons are designed to look (not act) like a turbine jet engine. As a result of this form over function mentality, they just don't suck the way a non ~*aesthetic*~ vacuum does, meaning they don't clean well.

Second, Dysons are expensive to maintain, which means they're generally not maintained. There are foam crush gaskets that need to be replaced regularly, their hoses and accessories are hella expensive and prone to failure (because they too are form over function), and this means that parts fail and people either overlook them or straight up don't know they've failed.

And third, Dysons have a 2-stage filtration system, which is a mesh screen and a HEPA filter. A mesh screen will not catch microparticulate, so you've turned your ($20-70) HEPA filter into a 6-month-cycle consumable to more like a 2-month-cycle consumable. Fail to adhere to that schedule and your already meager suction becomes all but nonexistent. A 2-stage filtration bag vacuum has a gigantic filter (the bag) in front of the HEPA filter, with a built-in replacement reminder (bag full = filter dead = vacuum no work) to ensure regular replacement. Add to that the fact that regular bag vacuum HEPA filters are cheaper ($10-20 depending on size) and bags are cheaper still and your outlay for filters on a bagged vacuum is 1/10th that of a Dyson annually for better results.

Oh, and washable HEPA filters are a lie. They work by entangling microparticles in a dense mesh inside the corrugated filter, and washing won't get them out. There are non-HEPA washables that I'd believe work, but then you're turning your vacuum into a microparticulate cannon and letting your air conditioner filter sort it out.

For the record, I'm not a vacuum tech or anything. This just comes from a lifetime of owning and maintaining vacuums for home and business and also a particularly useful Reddit AMA from a couple years ago

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
Great job. One question: how are you going to accommodate a possible 4th duct downstairs? Isn't HVAC math based heavily on the number size and location of ducts? I assumed that you had to know your final layout before you installed the trunk so you'd know all the numbers were right. Is that not true?

Disclaimer: I know very nearly nothing about HVAC.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Sockser posted:

I do a fair enough of basic woodwork, and 1/8” tolerance between stairs seems wildly absurd to me

If you’re retrofitting, like you are, that seems like an absolute nightmare target to hit

Six months ago he could have hit a 16th. This man is a legend, he's merely running low on patience.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

opengl128 posted:

Something about Norm rubs me the wrong way. Comes of as a hack for some reason. I want Tom Silva to build me a house though, dude is a wizard.

And Bob Vila hasn't actually done work on a home in one of his shows since the 90s. I don't know that I'd trust either of them. Maybe Adam Savage or Nick Offerman?

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
It's weird to attack Adam Savage for using prop-maker techniques when he's, you know, building props, but go off I guess.

All his tool racks are dramatically overbuilt for what they are. He doesn't gently caress around when it comes to infrastructure, which is why he also doesn't do One Day Builds for infrastructure, because seeing someone cut out a bunch of wood, wood glue it down, then use screws to secure the joins is not great content. Watch his recent box building video where he makes a display box for some space suit gloves. Each seam is glued and pin-nailed, and the end product is not only the exact dimensions he shot for but also seems pretty sturdy. Also the video is boring as hell.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

tomapot posted:

Wow. Been following you thread for a while and missed the roof saga somewhere along the way. Between all that extra weight on the roof and all the rotted walls how did that house not collapse like a house of cards?

It’s like they deliberately poorly maintained a house so it would fail.

This was a Schrodinger's House, in that the insides of the walls were both chowdered to nonexistence and also indestructably rock-solid until Kastein cut them open and found the termite and dry rot fiesta.

Go look at replacing footers in the living room. Dozens of incomplete studs were securely fastened to several fistfuls of wet sand, but they held until the wall was open. Repointing the foundation walls, also, is an adventure in semi-liquid structural shoring.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

TheMightyHandful posted:

Only thing holding it up was spite

And structural resentment.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Galler posted:

Those shows are fake. The buyers have already bought their house before the show starts filming. They tour the place they bought and two they don't care about and have to pretend it's a tough decision. I'm pretty sure some of them are like 'gently caress, why didn't we buy this one instead...uhhh, paint sucks, yeah, that's the reason.'

Sometimes they just hire actors because the person buying the house is willing to let it be filmed in but doesn't want to appear on film. And once you know that it's easy to tell when the shoppers are actors, so you're welcome for ruining some of those shows for you.

Shit Fuckasaurus fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Sep 3, 2020

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

kastein posted:

should have skipped that piece entirely because I think I might be the only person who ever notices its existence.

Nope, it looks absolutely incredible and if you hadn't put it in you'd have been able to see wall there, which would have been no good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
Jesus this looks incredible. Hard to believe it's the same house.