Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shortspecialbus
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

kastein posted:

Tore a bunch of the porch ceiling down today since it was annoying me and I felt like it. Also prepped to install the next sill plate segment, then realized I had no way to cut away the first layer of rotten subflooring under it without taking the living room floor up over it, so I went and got a dremel multimax. Been looking for a reason to buy one for a while and it is about the only tool that will fit in the space I have to work with, so it was time.

Once that is all cut out of the way I can get the new subflooring in, then the new sill plate. Then I just have to jack up the roof (yep...rot extends from foundation to rafters on that one!) and rebuild the entire wall under it.

Then I just need to replace a couple full length balloon frame studs, it is not safe to sister these ones at all, and then I can finish the master bedroom floor. About drat time.

More pictures! I'm currently fretting over replacing a chunk of basement ceiling that I wrecked with a plumbing fuckup and this thread simultaneously makes me feel both inspired and immensely incompetent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shortspecialbus
Feb 16, 2006

some texas redneck posted:

Between this thread, and pulling about 400 feet (so far) of ethernet cable in my house, I've decided the first thing I'm doing is installing conduit in my next house. gently caress crawling around in an attic just to pull CAT5E/CAT6.

No poo poo. I wired the whole house with cat6, and the basement with speaker wire, but if anyone took pictures of it, it'd undoubtedly end up in this thread. What a loving disaster.

shortspecialbus
Feb 16, 2006

kastein posted:

Haha, only if I end up as the owner :v: This house is basically the construction nightmares thread incarnate, but it's all mine.

Right. I forgot I wasn't posting in that one. Want me to come over and wire your house with cat6 so you have more disaster pictures? :v:

shortspecialbus
Feb 16, 2006

kastein posted:

I've got the last two bagsters I had bought already filled and ready for pickup and those useless fuckers are saying there is an error and I have to call to arrange pickup instead of using their site. So instead I need to shop around and find the best rate on a 15 or 20 yard dumpster and fill it up over the course of a few evenings, then use the crane truck to put the bagsters in there too. gently caress bagster.

Everyone I've ever heard talk about bagster has said that they're an amazing company and they highly recommend them, until one day their poo poo just stops working and they stop doing pickups and become less than worthless. I think bagster is only useful for 1-2 dumpsters worth total, and their company doesn't care about you beyond that. Either way, eagerly awaiting more pictures. I enjoy this thread.

shortspecialbus
Feb 16, 2006

I still think you're loving nuts for this whole thing but I guess in a weird way it's gotta be pretty cathartic to be able to legitimately take a crowbar and sledgehammer to the object of your frustration and have it count as "productive."

shortspecialbus
Feb 16, 2006

kastein posted:

Got frustrated trying to fix my truck yesterday and ripped up another section of flooring. Currently a huge hole in the kitchen floor, life goes on.

It must be really cathartic to get pissed off about something and be able to constructively go bash a huge loving hole into something.

shortspecialbus
Feb 16, 2006

kastein posted:

Three 3.5" long hardened #10 structural screws each. I love those screws, probably going to end up putting spax' entire staffs children through college at this point.

I misread that at first as 'spanx' and I thought you finally revealed your secret for looking so fit and trim.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shortspecialbus
Feb 16, 2006

kastein posted:

These days my secret is not having pictures taken. My metabolism has dropped significantly in the last few years and I need to lose a little weight. Fortunately, it's comfortable construction/junkyarding weather and will be for at least another month or so...

No poo poo. When I hit my early 30's my metabolism slowed a ton, and then when I had to retire from hockey from a back injury, it got even worse :( Getting old is no fun.