Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Zhentar posted:

A staggered stud wall would typically have studs 12" OC, so the walls are supported 24" OC.

Including siding, fiberglass batts, clear wall 2x6 16" OC is about R-17.5, and 2x6 24"OC is about R-19. 8" wide staggered stud wall would be around R-25.

There's another huge benefit to staggered stud walls, though it's probably not as applicable here, but that's sound transmission. If the inner wall covering is attached to studs that the outer wall covering is not, then you have created an airgap inside the wall which will drastically reduce sound transmission through the wall. It's something I curse everyday not having in an open-plan, 70s-era, single-2x4-wall-construction-with-internal-walls-not-insulated house. Oh hey someone's using the toilet! Oh hey someone's listening to a piece of music every lyric of which I can hear from across the house! Sweet I was wondering what everyone else in the house was doing but now I don't have to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

SouthShoreSamurai posted:

Your issues with Bagster are the primary reason I refused to use them for my own remodel. I rented a dumpster instead. One of the best $325 I ever spent.

Also wtf is going on with your deck joists. Did someone just... randomly cut 90% through some of them? :stonk:

Uh how else would you get a jacuzzi in there to impress the females?

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

kastein posted:

Pulled the old windows out of this wall a few days ago and put the housewrap up. Got the windows in today.

The Locator posted:

Never stop the Improv.

Yes, And...ersen

SyNack Sassimov fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Oct 21, 2019

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Arrath posted:

My parents have central vac, and it is seriously legit. Nice just to have a hose and carpet head to worry about.

It makes vacuuming so easy that my dad leaves the hose around to be ready to suck at any moment and it drives my mom insane.

Well yeah she doesn't want the competition.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

kastein posted:

I've debated putting a pull rope and a pulley on it to help lift it into position. Honestly, I'm kinda thinking about scrapping it (or cutting it back apart and putting the materials in my stockpile) and using a wood hatch, or even a wooden frame with drywall on it, now that you guys have brought this up. I let my overbuild-everything tendencies get away from me on this one. The only thing I'm not sure about is how I would hinge such a door, since the hinge needs to be at the surface. Or if I'd put tabs on one end to slide into slots in the frame and then have latches only at the other end.

Ken don't listen to these haters. The only answer here is to put hydraulic struts on it for opening and closing it automatically - just find the same ones they use on dumptrucks and you should be good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

kastein posted:

I cannot wait to have a smooth, level concrete floor in a weather tight building right next door to home.

Don't forget the fireproofing/breaking. A 100 foot deep moat at least 500 feet across with a diameter of a mile should do it and then maybe just have fire retardant constantly dripping onto the roof of the building.