Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Monoprice has pretty cheap VESA mounts. This is the one I've been using for the past year, seems to be pretty solid. My only gripe is the mounting holes on my TV are a bit higher than the VESA spec, so if you're standing in front of it you can see the top of the bracket peeking out (thanks Toshiba!).

They have plenty of tilt/swivel options too, but I just wanted to get a cheap mount.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Between this thread, and pulling about 400 feet (so far) of ethernet cable in my house, I've decided the first thing I'm doing is installing conduit in my next house. gently caress crawling around in an attic just to pull CAT5E/CAT6.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

shortspecialbus posted:

No poo poo. I wired the whole house with cat6, and the basement with speaker wire, but if anyone took pictures of it, it'd undoubtedly end up in this thread. What a loving disaster.

Part of me wishes I'd gone for cat6, but that would have more than doubled my costs (likely tripled, since I went ultra cheap and used copper clad aluminum CAT5E cable). And at the moment, gigabit is plenty for what I'm doing (5 PCs in the house and a couple of STBs like Rokus, mostly sharing/streaming movies, with 75/75 internet). If I ever do decide to upgrade, the holes I've drilled in studs/etc will be large enough to just tape new wire to the old and haul it through, and everything terminates at a cheap punchdown panel in the closet. Add another Monoprice order for CAT6 jacks and a patch panel, and done.

NOT impressed with the punchdown block I got - even using a 110 punchdown tool, I've had wires back out twice on one port, and one port has just completely poo poo itself no matter what I do. It looks like the same one Monoprice sells, just with a different name (Intellinet). May have different luck if I drop the $70 on a Klein punchdown tool instead of this :10bux: one, though I've had zero issues with the jacks I've punched with it.

I need to pull speaker wire and also add in-wall HDMI + a recessed outlet for my TV. Right now it's plugged in by an extension cord hanging down, and the speaker wires are run around a doorframe :cripes: (it's above my bedroom closet). I'm much happier keeping the AV receiver on my desk (that way I just have to run 1 HDMI cable + some speaker wires), but I'd still have to do the HDMI -> CAT5E -> HDMI conversion bit. And there's no way I could ever get speaker wires to the rear surround speakers into the walls - they're on an outside wall, and our roof has a pretty sharp pitch.

Also need to figure out how to get power and HDMI into the wall above the fireplace (thankfully gas only, not wood), as our next living room TV will be mounted above it. That part of the attic is a complete oval office and a half to get to.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Apr 25, 2015

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

That would work great if we didn't have a shingled roof!

I'd have to rip up shingles, tar paper, and the decking to do that. All nailed down.

Tin roofs really don't seem to be very common here, at least in my part of the country.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Hail on any kind of roof sucks.

At least on a tin roof it's just noisy as gently caress and you get some dings. With shingles and decking, you wind up replacing shingles and tar paper after a decent hail storm; decking too if it was a particularly nasty one.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

I really need to do something similar for a new desk chair. Mine's worn the gently caress out, and even the crap seats in my Saturn are really comfortable. And cheap at junkyards, since nobody wants Saturns. :downs:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

apatite posted:

My brother recently bought an old rear end house that has a toilet and sink under the stairway to the second floor. Code probably won't let you get away with cool space saving early 1900s tricks like that anymore :bahgawd:

That's really common here, even in newer construction. I'm not quite sure how they handle the vent stack in that case, but I see it done a lot.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

kastein posted:

Yeah that's the plan. This one will be straight, level, plumb, square, on a real foundation, far stronger (modern framing practices are worlds better than old style, and I've only fixed what was broken), and designed from the ground up with fire protection, serviceability, maintenance, efficiency, and modern heating/cooling in mind, instead of having all those things scabbed on after the fact. I'll be starting another thread for it once this one has run its course.

The dorms I lived in had a service corridor that ran behind rooms (so basically you had two rooms that would normally back up to each other, but there was a hallway running between them for plumbing and electrical). Kinda blew me away.

You're doing that, aren't you?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

tetrapyloctomy posted:

And just because I found it incidentally while looking up pancake units:

Jesus Christ, THOSE fuckers. I still see a ton of them on the days I do courier or delivery work.

For reference, they're from the mid to late 70s. Those fuckers will make your electric meter spin so fast that it starts smoking, but they refuse to die, and if the coils inside and out are kept clean, they should keep your place like a meat locker.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

I've known my roommate since 1997, and we've gone back and forth on the "hey can you cover rent for an extra week or two?" thing a couple of times already. It's nice to have someone that you can trust like that.

I have no idea what your furniture situation is like, but it's generally a lot easier to sell a house that has at least some minimal (and CLEAN) furniture in it instead of just empty, even if it's the cheapest garbage you can find on the side of the road with a table cloth slapped over it. It gives buyers an idea of how things might look once they buy the house. You'll potentially sell the house faster, and possibly for a good chunk more.

If you don't have any furniture you think would work for that (... you're an engineer, so I'm guessing everything you own is function over form), there's companies that will stage the house for you. It might be worth the expense to sell it faster, unless you're targeting a very specific buyer demographic and know you can get them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

That dryer is making my eye twitch.

Flip the door around, it's a pain in the rear end to move laundry from the washer to dryer when the door opens into your leg.