System Message

The forum store is down for maintenance and should reopen in the afternoon/evening (Central time). Thanks again to all the beta testers!
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Digital War
May 28, 2006

Ahhh, poetry.

kastein posted:

You would probably be horrified if you knew how your house is put together. I wouldn't be surprised if 50%+ of American homes have some significant structural deficiency caused by either idiot contractors repairing/upgrading the place, idiot contractors building it, or idiot homeowners repairing things.

Previous owner of this house decided to move one of the support columns, so it would be better positioned for the bar he was building in the basement (out of unplaned lumber scraps).
From the damage to the column I guess he hit at it with a hammer until it popped out, moved it over a foot and hammered it back in. Unsurprisingly the drywall in the corners of the doorways above has all cracked. It's on the list of things that really should get fixed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digital War
May 28, 2006

Ahhh, poetry.

Stick-built buildings aren't uncommon in the UK, although breeze blocks are still more popular. It's just hard tell unless you were around for the early construction stages since bricks are pretty much the only exterior cladding that's used.
These two homes are stick-built, I drove past them every day on the way to work and it was impressive the speed at which they went up. The roof was on practically a week after the foundation was poured.