Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lynch_69
Jan 21, 2001

I loved it. If you're going to do big-budget movie in a genre where everything has been done and redone several times over, this is the way to do it. Interesting premise, great execution.

The tongue-and-cheek, winking-at-the-audience horror deconstruction genre is nothing new, and some would argue one that has grown a little stale since the first Scream, but Cabin in the Woods ups the ante with a new and interesting approach. Genuinely funny in places, with a liberal sprinkling of amusing horror movie tropes in the background that nerds (like me) will eat up.

The actual scenes of the college kids going off to their mysterious Evil Dead cabin in the woods isn't all that interesting - we've seen this a million times before and know what to expect. It's the meta story that I found fascinating and compelling.

I could sense the Lovecraftian overtones early on and was instantly hooked. They did the right thing by not focusing too much on the kids in the cabin, and giving more time to the other stuff. The resolution in the end made me very happy. I love bleak endings, even more so in big-budget mass-market movies. Anything that fucks with an audience's perception of how such movies are supposed to end gets my seal of approval.

This is the best Cthulhu mythos movie without ever explicitly mentioning it.

5/5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU