Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
If you’re a fan of horror movies, skip this review and go see the movie. If not, let me sell it to you.

The movie is the brainchild of geek god Joss Whedon and Drew Goddard. While Goddard worked with Whedon on the popular TV shows, Buffy and Angel, he also penned nine episodes of LOST. This was his first time in the director’s chair.

‘The Cabin in the Woods’ features some good players with familiar faces. Chris Hemsworth (Thor), Richard Jenkins (Step Brothers), and Bradley Whitford (Billy Madison). Rounding out the heart of the cast are newcomers Kristen Connolly and Fran Kanz. Both deliver perfect performances for their roles.

Fans of horror movies will note that nearly all them try to inject some humor. This humor is often crass and ultimately apparent that the writer has no idea what constitutes humor. TCITW has wonderful dialogue that is not seemingly forced. Several visual gags add to the experience and are very well crafted.

I don’t want to plant the idea that this film is a laugh riot. I laughed three times and snickered four or five more. It’s a horror film. It’s a horror film that you’ve never seen before, despite what you may think from the trailer. It’s core is cliché. Five college kids take a vacation to a deserted cabin. One couple, one set of kids that eventually hooks up, and the fifth wheel, usually the pot head/ outcast. Yup, it’s there. Overall, the movie takes horror clichés and beats the crap out of them and forces them to do it’s bidding.

Things get interesting. The plot unfolds at a very nice pace, not giving too much away. This is a plot I have never seen before and don’t believe it’s been done. I had heard that there was a huge twist ending. I was expecting to be Shyamalaned. I mostly figured it out around the halfway mark. I was still a little surprised.

I recommend this movie to anywone who likes movies and wants to see something new, but also something that they are used to. I’ll recommend it to anyone that is open minded. I think that the originality of this movie will be lost on the general public and it will be polarizing to the rest of us. I loved it.

Score: 4.5/5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU